Handyman Service

Founded 2000 • With Angi since October 2006

7100 Vista Alegre St NW

Albuquerque, NM 87120

2 employees. Cost is determined by the job. Travel charge may apply. Service fee may apply. After hours charge applies. May contact through email. Additional DBAs - George Varela Handyman Construction Services, LLCGeorge Varela Handyman - Construction Services.

06/14/2017

Marylou P.

Everything went exceptionally well. George arrived as scheduled to review the job, gave a fair quote, and offered an appointment within 2 days to complete the work. He showed up on time, cleaned up the mess created by virtue of the work, and I was very happy! I will definitely hire him again.

Description of Work
I had a small, unusual wood-working job that involved cutting very heavy furniture and very thick wood.

Category handyman service, woodworking

12/08/2016

Emily A.

Charged $500 for a few hours painting work which seems pretty steep. Paint job was ok - I would have like some sanding done for that amount of money.

Description of Work
Painting on the eaves of a 1000 square foot home.

Category handyman service, house painters

08/11/2014

Michael T.

Have used this service many times for a variety of projects on rental property, always with excellent results. To protect your privacy, remember to sign out when you're done shopping.Learn more New to eBay? Get started now. It's fast and easy! Additional site navigation Copyright and copy; 1995-2014 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. User Agreement, Privacy and Cookies.

Description of Work
Roof repair and patch

Category handyman service, roofing

08/04/2014

Jean T.

He came out to see what I wanted done and was to call me with an estimate and he never called me back. This is the 2nd time I have sent this message. Jean Tuttle jtuttle518@aol.com Membership cancelled 8-4-2014

Description of Work
Nothing

11/17/2013

Dennis K.

I received a letter from the city stating that I needed to repair the sidewalk by my mailbox because the root had pushed it up and it was a hazard. My husband found George on Angie's list and contacted him. George was very professional and responsive. He came out quickly and gave me a bid, which was half of the first bid I got. He began work on a Monday and was done with the first part by noon. He cut down a large tree and its big root. He cleared away the old concrete and left everything clean and ready for pouring. At that point, my neighbor came by and had received the same letter. She had gotten 4 bids and George's beat all of her bids. She said she was told we needed a permit, but George said we didn't for the type of work being done. Since there was uncertainty at that point, George contacted the city, only to find out a new law had been passed now requiring a permit. The city had not notified contractors of this new ordinance. So, George took care of it. He finished the job and it looks great. He was very honest and I will certainly use him again!

Description of Work
He cut down a large tree, cut the root that was raising the concrete sidewalk and poured new concrete.

Category concrete repair, lawn service

10/27/2013

Richard H.

The main issue is that George jumps to conclusions and tries to solve problems fast. If this fits then hire him. He is a cool guy. In this case the problem was not clear at first. Water was flowing over the side of a deck and entering the garage wall. It took George about 6 hrs worth of work to find how bad it was. Then he and a crew member took down some drywall and noted the real problem. But his view of the way the leak was occurring was wrong. George was not the only one to make a mistake about this. An insurance estimator also did not get it right.

Description of Work
Trouble-shoot leak in deck drain.

08/03/2013

Lonnie F.

Great working with George and his employees. He was on time and did what he promised as well as helped prepare for a future job in my backyard. George offered useful insight and expertise in yard maintenance and landscaping. I will not hesitate to use his services in the future.

Description of Work
Remove rock from perimeter of my backyard.

Category lawn service, pavers, gravel

06/10/2013

Debra W.

We have not decided which direction we are planning on going with the house, therefore have not yet contracted services. However, I would not hesitate to use him for services now or in the future.

Description of Work
George came out to give me an emergency estimate on a large project for a house we planned on purchasing. He was courteous, punctual and fully explained what needed to be done in order to resolve our issue (damaged calking on brick parapet causing cracks in the stucco and interior damage to house). He gave me an excellent price and offered to assist me in any way needed to convey the seriousness of this repair to the sellers of the property. He came on the weekend so I could present the estimate prior to our deadline.

Category handyman service, masonry, stucco

06/07/2013

Ligaya L.

He came in to work only a few days after we called. He originally quoted two days to finish but he brought his crew and the job was done in one. Fantastic job and we can tell you, his work stood well under the test of time and many rambunctious kids.

Description of Work
Repairs for walls

04/08/2013

Amelia N.

George and crew removed and repaired a section of sidewalk. He came quickly and finished the job efficiently and charged true to his estimate. George made several return trips to smooth and finish the concrete. I was very pleased with the quality and speed of George's work.

Description of Work
Replacement of sidewalk section

Category concrete repair

10/22/2012

JOE V.

George Varela never acknowledged he had done anything wrong and never compensated us for our losses. He appeared very much in a hurry to finish our bathroom so he could go on to a new job. When he finished, we felt he brushed us off as a nuisance to him. Lessons learned: 1. Never hire George Varela. 2. Always check out a prospective and quot;contractorand quot; to see that his license covers the proposed work, that his license is current and that he is bonded/insured. A contractor may have a license number on his business card but this means nothing. Do your homework and verify everything. JVDV

Description of Work
BEWARE OF GEORGE VARELA/Handyman Construction Services!!! DO NOT HIRE HIM! We hired George Varela to remodel our master bath in May 2011. He demolished the existing tile and installed new tile in the shower, around the bathtub, sink and vanity backsplash areas. He also removed old plumbing fixtures, reconfigured pipes and installed new fixtures in shower, sink and bath tub. In addition he installed new light fixtures and added new wiring for a new electrical switch. In the following months. we noticed numerous problems: grout around tile was eroding, the shower floor stayed wet and was puddling on the shower bench and stoop, water was leaking from the shower stall unto our bathroom floor. Mildew formed on the grout. He did not seal the grout or apply caulking and grout lines are uneven and very wide. When we questioned this, he said it was not necessary to seal the grout. In 12/11 we told him to replace the metal drain cover he had installed because it had sharp edges. For an additional fee, he replaced it w/ a plastic cover that he rigged up and caulked in place. We stopped using the shower in Feb. 2012. We called Geo many times about the problems, but he would always minimize the issues or say that our concerns were unfounded. He ultimately proposed that he would give us $500 back and that we would then let him "walk away". We refused, and instead contacted the NM State Construction Industries Division (CID). They inspected the work Geo had done in our bathroom and found several electrical, mechanical and plumbing code violations, including not installing a proper drain. He was found to be working beyond the scope of his handyman's license. CID gave him several opportunities to correct the work or be subject to disciplinary action, but he ignored all requests. Geo. is insured but only for handyman-type work and his bonding company, RLI Surety, did not pay on our claim because "the type of work (for which he was cited) is outside the scope of the license issued", and "is not covered by the bond". We now have to demolish the entire remodel so that it gets done correctly, select new contractors, one each for tile, electrical, plumbing and drywall. We expect to spend a much higher amount due to inflation and the cost of labor.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, handyman service, lighting, masonry, plumbing, home remodeling

07/19/2012

arthur R.

the contractor didnt perform any of the work, price was 67$ per hr was maybe worth half that, took longer than should have to complete job and work was not done very well

Description of Work
yard work built trellis

Category handyman service, landscaping, lawn service

06/03/2012

David A.

George came out promptly to give us an estimate, and had many suggestions to help us choose the right design and materials, many of which also saved us money. He was clearly interested in helping us with all our landscaping questions, and explained how the new patio would affect that landscaping. His estimate was slightly higher than one we had gotten from another contractor, but we were very impressed with George's knowledge and willingness to help. On a Monday we called and told him we were ready for him. That Thursday he and his crew showed up, removed the flagstone and stacked it neatly where I had requested, prepped the ground, and set up the forms. The next day they poured the concrete, and the day after they removed the forms and cleaned up the yard. Everything was done quickly and professionally, and I am extremely pleased with the results. We will be hiring George again in the near future to help us with other landscaping and home repair issues.

Description of Work
Removed a flagstone patio and sidewalk and replaced them with a concrete patio and sidewalk.

Category concrete repair, handyman service, landscaping

04/04/2012

Deborah D.

Never kept appointment that he made with me.

Description of Work
Called George and made an appointment on the following Monday for him to call me back to schedule yard clean up and spigot replacements. Never called me back.

Category handyman service, lawn service

01/27/2012

Charles Z.

It went perfectly. I keep using him because he is polite and professional. I took bids from several contractors for this job, and his price was one of the best.

Description of Work
He totalled removed my old three lane concrete driveway and poured a new drive for me from the street to my garage.

Category concrete repair

01/18/2012

SAL A.

.The price was good. There friendliness and professionalism and punctuality was very good.

Description of Work
.Tarsus a George that did some work for me. They did some tile work and put down some laminate flooring. I do still need to call them about the tile because the grout has come up in a few places.

Category flooring contractor

01/16/2012

chemain S.

He was just great. It just came out really really well. I was really clean and they left no mess at all. They were really respectful and really great. The customer service of his 2 workers were awesome.

Description of Work
He did some work on my inside ceiling involving the drywall.

Category drywall

12/27/2011

G R.

I called George after reading reviews here. I called him the first of November to see about installing 3 transition strips. He gave me a good estimate and said he would call when he was working in my area to come take care of the strips. He never called me back and by the first of December I hired someone else. George may do good work, but only if he deems your job big enough or worthy of his time I suppose.

Description of Work
He never called me back.

Category flooring contractor, handyman service, woodworking

10/19/2011

Dolores G.

The cost of the estimate was too high, but the individual was nice.

Description of Work
Handyman Service gave me an estimate to install shelving units.

09/23/2011

Michael T.

The project George worked on is a house my mother-in-law rents in the Nob Hill area. I manage the house but live near Alamogordo so taking care of it is a problem. Both times that I've made use of George's services, he has inspected the property to assess for cost and time, has made helpful suggestions and pointed out things that needed attention which I was missing, done the work as we discussed and completed the work in a timely manner and to my satisfaction. I come to ABQ when work is completed to inspect and pay. On this last project he painted all window and door trim, painted and re-striped window awnings, trimmed hedges and hauled debris to dump, rebuilt a deteriorating window ledge,re-coated it and re-painted, and removed some outside storage cabinets, patched holes in stucco where cabs were attached and re-pained areas exposed by the removal of those cabinets. He also checked roof for any problems and did repair on small break in roof coating.

Description of Work
This is the second time I've used George's services and once again he was excellent: his estimates were accurate, both in costs and time; the quality of the work was excellent, done quickly and with care; the materials he purchased were good quality without being the highest priced; he aided me in finding problems that needed attention. I like George personally and I find him pleasant to business with. I highly recommend him

Category handyman service, lawn service, masonry, house painters

08/30/2011

David L.

I was extremely happy with George's work. Because my project involved a lot of plastering, and a lot of time waiting for the plaster to dry, George came over everyday for 4 days straight (including a Sunday) until the job was finished. He was also very flexible when it came to changes, although they were mostly minor ones like fixing a small hole here and adding some plaster there. Also, adding the nicho in the bedroom was a small change, but they did it up right. One thing I really appreciated was that they never left a mess in the house. They were always careful to clean up everyday after working with the drywall and plaster, which can often leave a small mess. Some other contractors I've worked with in the past weren't nearly as considerate. What was also great about George was that he even took some time to teach me a few things and give me a few tips on how to do some of the work myself in the future. It was Sunday and I'm sure he would rather have not been working, but he came over anyways to put on more layer of plaster on my walls and he took some extra time to show me how to do it. Overall I was very glad I hired George to do the job. I will certainly hire him again when I need something done that is beyond my expertise to do myself.

Description of Work
George installed some flashing along a seam on the roof to prevent future leaking. He also repaired some damaged drywall in the living room, bathroom, and bedroom, and plastered over everything to match the original texture of all the walls. Finally, he built a small nicho in the bedroom wall. George also hauled away some large junk I needed to get rid of.

Category drywall, handyman service, roofing

08/08/2011

Doreen L.

My only problem with George is he didn't give appointment times. I think George does a good job, but he obviously takes on more work than he can handle. At first it was I'll be there in the morning, and he did not show that day. Then it was I'll be there in the afternoon and he did not show that day. In frustration I told him I would need an appointment time. We agreed on Thursday 8am and he did show for that appointment. I am currently not working and usually around the house, so it wasn't as big of an issue as it would have been had I taken off work to meet him. Last week my swamp cooler stopped working. I called George. He told me he was booked until Friday. I tried to reach another handyman I have used but couldn't reach him. I called George back. He said he would try to squeeze me in and would call 30 minutes before he came out. I did not hear from him Thu or Fri. I called him back on Friday to see when he would be out. It is Monday and I have not heard back from him. I am disappointed because I prefer to stick with one handyman over having multiple providers in my home. But, it is hot so I have to get mmy swamp fixed and will call another service technician.

Description of Work
As far as technical service George and his helper did a great job at a reasonable price. He and his helper fixed a couple of electrical issues and replace an outside outlet and converted an inside outlet back to a switch as that is how it was originally wired.

Category electrician, handyman service, remodeling

07/20/2011

Raina T.

George came over 30 min after our call, we needed emergency door work done. Not only was he fast but he was very respectful, kind, and helpful! Instead of an estimate he fixed the door (at a great cost) so that we would be safe. I not only recommend George but will definitely call him again! Great work, affordable prices and courteous service!

Description of Work
Fixed door frame- reinforced door, did cosmetic work on door and gave future options.

Category handyman service, woodworking, doors

04/15/2011

Steve L.

George is licensed and insured, I CHECKED (not everyone on Angies list is- you need to verify). Always showed up on time and did quality work at a reasonable price. He saved some money on material he quoted us and passed it on to us. He put electrical to the back of the house and to my shed. Built a pantry in the kitchen. Very pleased with all his work. We will definetly use him again.

Description of Work

Category contractors, drywall, electrician, handyman service

04/10/2011

Candia M.

George was very nice and helped me find affordable materials to make my money go a long way. He was fast and responsive. His employee did a great deal of the actual work at George's direction. I was not in the house when they started, or for most of the time they did the work, so the one glitch was that I had asked for a diagonal pattern with the tiles and by the time I got to the house they had almost the whole job done and it was not diagonal. I decided I could live with it. The work got done very quickly and they always picked up after themselves. They really make my money stretch to get everything done that really had to be done. George showed up after the work and went around hanging photos and curtain rods for me. They also did some work for my parents, at an equally good price. This is not the same quality as you might get from a home remodeller, but it was at least 1/2 the price of some others. Overall I am very happy and would call George again. I recommended him to my parents.

Description of Work
tiled my kitchen, living room, entryway with inexpensive ceramic tile from Home Depot (including adding tile floor mouldings), replaced kitchen sink, replaced kitchen counters, painted 5 interior rooms, replaced the door knob and locks on the front doors and door to garage, cleaned and repaired several exhaust fans, removed a sliding door from my bath tub, refinished two flights of wood floors, tiled front porch, replaced several interior doors that were missing or broken, installed a ceiling fan/lighting fixture in the bedroom, painted all exterior wood surfaces hung pictures and curtains, repaired and restored an iron gate in the backyard.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, flooring contractor, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors

Jesus Services

We offer yard work, clean up or bobcat work, hauling trash, material, metal whatever comes. We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Check out all the services we offer below and call -or- click to schedule a free estimate today!

B.W. Earp, Inc.

Welcome to B.W. Earp, Inc. B.W. Earp, Inc. is a stucco contractor serving Albuquerque, NM. Since 1990, B.W. Earp, Inc. has been at the forefront of contemporary surfacing. This unique contracting company combines the timeless quality of handworked stucco and the contemporary usage of highly crafted interior plasters to bring the customer a specialized surface that is custom-designed and looks great! The specialized techniques used by each contractor require the combined skills of structural integrity, architectural design, rigorous craftsmanship, and an eye for beauty. Since 1990, residents and businesses in the Albuquerque area have turned to B.W. Earp, Inc. for a variety of stucco services, including waterproofing and bonding. Their expert staff is always there to help you decide the right surfacing option to match your building construction. Their hard work and expertise have led them to become an industry leader and the most respected name in resurfacing and waterproofing. Our company provides the following services - Stucco, synthetic, and El Rey - Venetian plaster & variance finishes - Re-stucco - New construction -Parapet Repair and Waterproofing B.W. Earp, Inc. is New Mexico's most experienced and creative resource for exterior stucco and interior plaster surfaces. Visit our website to see what we have to offer! We are proud to be licensed, bonded, and insured. Visit bwearp.com to see the work we've completed. Call us today! We invite you to ask for an on-site estimate. 505-344-2111 ***If you live outside the Albuquerque area there is a $50.00 fee for an estimate. This charge will be credited toward the project once our contract is signed. Thank you for understanding.

Just Stucco & Windows LLC

Stucco is not just a word or a product to us. Stucco is something we enjoy. For many years we have taken great satisfaction stuccoing many homes in the Albuquerque and surrounding areas, making this town beautiful, making homes come alive with color and new texture. Just Stucco and Windows specializes in exterior and interior stucco and plaster, windows, doors, trim work, drywall finishing and painting. We do all types of masonry, block and stucco walls and courtyards, brick, flagstone and pavers, cultured stone, veneer and stacked stone. Just Stucco and Windows installs all types of windows and doors, i.e., vinyl, wood, fiberglass, custom built and energy efficient with high quality finish work. We believe in exceptional customer service, and our commitment to excellence is always foremost in each and every window installation job that we do. All of our jobs come with a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. Ask about Angie's List discount. Award winning. Additional fax - (505) 452-.0895. Additional email - juststucco@gmail.com. Additional contact name - James Rooks

2022 Super Service Award

Handyman, remodeling, landscaping, stucco, garage building, hauling, stone & gravel, roofing, concrete pouring & leveling, plumbing, electrical, drywall, interior & exterior painting, doors, windows, lawn & yard work & lot clean up.