Blue Line Building & Design Inc

Founded 1994 • With Angi since June 2009

3609 E Boltinghouse Rd

Bloomington, IN 47408

Blue Line Building & Design, Inc. is a family owned construction and remodeling company, that has a reputation of providing specialized and high quality services and products. We have sub contractors who hold all appropriate licensing, and have high standards of workmanship. Our rates are

03/22/2016

David L.

Went great! Matt and Ross were really easy to work with. They listened to our ideas and made it work. We found a tin ceiling we wanted and after Matt and Ross researched it, they did a perfect job putting it up. Matt also found us a cabinet maker to make the custom bar. We were beyond thrilled with the cabinets!! The electrician they used was awesome as well. They all treated us so well and really did listen to what we wanted. We are thrilled with the results!! We would use them again for any remodel we may do.

Description of Work
They did a basement remodel for us. They built a pub like wet bar with a tin ceiling in the basement for us.. Also theater and pool table room which is a all in one room. They also did interior wall in stone for us.

Category custom cabinets, countertops, electrician, remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

07/19/2015

Debra P.

the first guy seemed unsure of the big job - we talked about 3 different ones - and he said he would come back with another guy next time. another guy did come, but not the first guy at all - he didn't tell us there would be a change before coming. it kinda makes one a bit less confident in the work happening. but I just don't know at this point. they had a clear opportunity at the beginning, but have not really taken it up, so I'll be looking for another company. I won't rule them out entirely, but like I said, not full of confidence at this point.

Description of Work
we've asked for a bid on some work - haven't heard back

06/08/2015

Yuwen H.

Reasonable quotes, get the work done very carefully in one day, no interruption to our life at all. Strong recommend and will use again.

Description of Work
We renovated the 1st floor bathroom

Category remodeling, home remodeling

04/21/2015

Michael W.

STOP. Go no farther. These are the guys you should hire. Matt and his crew are professional, on-time, and great craftspeople. Communication with him is the best I've ever experienced. Their prices are very reasonable for the quality of work provided; they don't cut corners. If a problem does arise - as it did with one of the subcontractors - Matt makes sure it is corrected quickly. What more can you ask for?

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel. Installed solid surface walk-in shower, new floor, repaint, & replaced vent.

Category flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

01/20/2015

Lynne C.

The end result came out beautifully. Matt and his crew were punctual, professional and addressed any concern we had immediately. I would definitely hire Blue Line Building & Design again for a home remodeling project.

Description of Work
Master bathroom remodel.

12/09/2014

Sandy P.

We picked Blue Line because of the great job they did on a project earlier this year. (See previous review from 2/21/14). Again, Matt's crew and all the subcontractors (painters, electricians, plumbers and drywallers) were fantastic and did an excellent job on all aspects of the project. Matt always called well in advance to schedule work and his builders and contractors were always here when they supposed to be. There were a few minor issues that were resolved professionally and seamlessly and they always accepted the many changes that we requested along the way. We even threw them a curve ball by adding in a pool before they started so they could build the deck up to it. We also designed an entertainment center that Ross built perfectly. We did get to enjoy the screened in porch before the weather changed and can't wait to get back to it next spring. We are also enjoying the 'man cave' off the kitchen. We just love it! Matt Chitwood, his son Ross and builders Mark, Tom and Dennis were very professional, and understanding of our needs, during this project. We actually had a really fun time while they were here and even the dogs looked forward to their arrival in the morning. Can't wait to get the crew back here next spring for more projects! If you are looking for a great result on any remodeling or building project, and for a very reasonable price, give them a call. You will be glad you did!

Description of Work
Built a 16X36 addition off the kitchen a 540 sq. ft. deck and a 12X16 screened-in porch.

Category decks, electrician, remodeling, home remodeling

Thanks (removed member names). Everyone enjoyed working on your job, and we look forward to future projects. Matt

10/01/2014

Lynne C.

07/02/2014

Karen R.

It went very well. Matt Chitwood orchestrated all the contractors in a timely manner. They were very professional. We had one delay with the tub surrounds, where we had to wait two weeks for them to be made, but wasn't a problem for us...nothing Blue Line could do about it. We were glad Matt recommended solid surround walls. All the work was done well. When we requested adjustments to any of the work, they were very professional and obliged. We plan to use them again on other projects on the house.

Description of Work
Remodeled/updated a bathroom.

04/28/2014

David L.

Description of Work
They built us a basement bar/pub/pool room/theatre room . Custom cabinets and doors. Tin ceiling. Stone walls. They were great to work with. Great ideas. We worked really well together. The project turned out even better than we thought. Matt and Ross were great and we were very comfortable with them in the house! We would use them again for sure! Highly recommend them.

02/21/2014

Sandy P.

This could not have gone any better than it did. All the work done by the contractor, plumbers, painters, installers and designers were fantastic! In fact, the more they did, the more we kept adding projects for them to do. They are all the easiest, most available and professional people you can get. We have had miserable experience in the past with contractor's in Illinois and are just really happy to find someone as honest and fair as Matt, subcontractors and suppliers. Matt scheduled all the projects perfectly even though he had a very big project ongoing in town. He also becomes very concerned when even the littlest issues come up and makes sure we are satisfied with everything before and after they are completed. We are having more work done in the bathrooms and are also excited that Blue Line will be putting up an outbuilding in the back yard this spring. Would also like to point out that the installers were fantastic, fun to be around and very professional. All was done like a well oiled machine!

Description of Work
We had Matt and his subcontractors put new floor, cabinet, faucets, mirrors, lights and paint in master bathroom. New floor, countertops, faucet, install waste disposal and paint in kitchen. New floor and paint in main bathroom. Install and paint new back door. Install dog wash, cabinet, countertop and paint in laundry room. New tile in front entryway. Repair walls, paint ceiling and baseboards in spare bedroom.

Category custom cabinets, countertops, flooring contractor, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

12/19/2013

Carl J.

The people at Blue Line and their subs were very courteous, clean up was done daily and the price was fair for the amount of work done. We had only one surprise, it was in the extra cost of the electrical; however that was a product of an older home under renovation. Matt and crew kept to the time line and did a great job. Totally pleased with the final result.

Description of Work
Installed stairway in center of house where there was no stairs before.

Category remodeling, woodworking

11/06/2013

Rodney F.

From start to finish, Blue Line was excellent to work with. I got 3 bids to finish my basement. I was glad Blue Line was the lowest because I knew Matt, the owner, knew what I was trying to accomplish for my "Man Cave". Blue Line does all their own construction and they are truly craftsmen in framing and finishing. They have a top of the line electrician and plumber to do all that work, and they all work well together. I had a bar made and a Full Wall entertainment/TV center made. Blue Line has a local cabinet company that makes these to order so you get exactly what you want. I could not be more happy with the way these turned out. This was a project that involved all aspects of construction and they went above and beyond as far a Quality. I wish my house were built with the quality these guys put into my basement. They cleaned up after each day, so no issues there. Very easy to work with. When I didn't know what to do for some things, I told Matt, the owner, what I was looking for and he came through with some really great ideas that were affordable. I will recommend Blue Line to anyone I know needing construction work and will hire them in the future for anything else I may have done.

Description of Work
I bought my house with an unfinished basement. Blue Line finished my basement.

Category custom cabinets, remodeling, woodworking, basement remodeling

Thanks for the opportunity to create your "man cave", and thanks for the good word. Matt

03/14/2013

Janet S.

-They removed and disposed of all existing roof shingles, and prepared the roof with titanium felt underlayment, ice and water membrane in the valleys, at all roof penetrations, and 3' up from the bottom edge. -Provided and installed 2700 square feet of Owens-Corning Oakridge Estate Gray dimensional shingles. -A 70' continuous ridge vent was installed to prolong the life of the roof. There was no vent installed at that time. -They re-flashed the chimney, replaced the metal drip edge and gutter apron (white). -They replaced all of the damaged wood and other needed repairs at their cost of labor and materials (no mark up). -All labor and materials including sales tax was $7,859.00. Matt and Jeff (the roofer) couldn't have been nicer or more considerate of me. They were professional and very responsible, did the entire job in less than a week. Everything was cleaned up and Matt has been very generous in providing all that I requested. I will call Matt in the future for advice and recommendations for anything related to house repair and remodeling. They have restored my faith in the challenges of home ownership!

Description of Work
Please see the box below for all details.

Category remodeling, roofing

01/09/2013

KAREN S.

Got questionable words on whether we could afford it. After the first one came out, the President, Paul Engle, came out and looked at the same place to get information. The NEVER sent me a quote, even after 2 men came to get information for one. Very sad that it made me feel like they didn't spend time because they were too good.

Description of Work
Called them to get a quote for remodeling the laundry room and extending it. Also wanted quote and information for moving the pantry and redoing it. They came to my house 2 x with 2 different people to get a better idea with what we wanted and what it would take.

Category electrician, remodeling, home remodeling

11/26/2012

Carrie V.

The dislike thing is that they did not give us an itemized proposal; it was a general one, but they seemed a lot more professional. They actually brought out an electrician as well as another person to help take measurements. They took a lot more time; they came out three times, and it was free. They were very responsive. We would consider using them.

Description of Work
We had Blue Line Building & Design Inc. submit a proposal to us for a new interior second floor conference room and office additions. There will be some floors and carpets. We were going to have possibly a shower installed in another part of our building and have some glassware installed to overlook our lab and a door way.

Category carpet installation, electrician, flooring contractor, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling, doors

02/24/2012

Deborah M.

They were are just wonderful. The prices are fair. They are very neat and clean. I thought they were great.

Description of Work
I used them for some deck work.

Category custom cabinets, decks, remodeling, home remodeling

09/22/2011

Gary M.

Construction has not yet begun.

Description of Work
I have met with Blueline at my home on three occasions. They have been very helpful in working through my design plans for constructing a screened enclosure on my existing deck. I am now waiting to receive an estimate.

Category decks, remodeling, sunrooms

06/30/2011

Karl S.

Very well. I would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Description of Work
I purchased doors from Tommy Ds and had them installed by Blue Line. We worked without a quote, and the ending price was higher than I originally expected. However, the quality of work is excellent. Two workers, no mess, no fuss. Doors were installed perfectly.

12/02/2010

Deborah M.

The overall repair and remodel went very well. We couldn't be more pleased! After a lengthy interviewing process to find a qualified contractor, we discovered Blue Line building and design---we are so happy we did, it was worth all the extra efforts and disappointments. Paul Engle, President of Blue Line building & design, is very professional and highly knowledgeable in his field. He will get the job done, and will get it done right. He stayed with us through the entire project, and our remodel wasn't an easy task. He has a very hard working crew, they are polite, they are respectful---one employee walked our dog on a day there was a family emergency. This company will not leave you disappointed.

Description of Work
After the foundation of our home was repaired we decided it was time to remodel the kitchen. This wasn't going to be an ordinary kitchen remodel, as our new plan seemed to be a pretty complex design. Before this project began we had several floor joist repaired as well as replacing the old subflooring. Then followed the installation of hardwood floors. A wall in the laundry room was removed and rebuilt several feet inward to enlarge the depth of the kitchen. A dividing wall between the kitchen and dining room was removed and altered to make a larger opening between the two areas. A section in an outside wall was removed to make space for adding a French Door in the kitchen, and a new kitchen window was installed. Cherry cabinets replaced the 30 year old outdated ones, a farmer house sink replaced the old one, and new granite countertops were set. This possibly may sound as if it were an ordinary kitchen remodel, but it wasn't. A picture could only tell the tale. And "Blue Line Building and Design" could only have been the company to bring the dream to fruition. It's a beautiful kitchen!! We apologize for not sharing our expenses. Our contractor was very fair with pricing.

Category countertops, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, doors

06/10/2010

Evan K.

They haven't started the work yet. I am taking everything down to the studs. The estimate I got from them does not include painting or the demo work. I am doing that myself. I only interacted with the main contractor Paul Angle. He came to the house twice for the estimate and the follow-up refining of the estimate. He has been great to work with. He was accommodating to my budget and to what I wanted done. Their responsiveness has been great. (Updated, 6/10/10) The work went very smoothly. Workers were always on time and professional, and owner Paul Engle was involved every step of the way making sure things were proceeding satisfactorily. The whole project, from start to finish, took two weeks and one day (original estimate was 3 weeks), and the project also came in under the estimate by about $500. I would definitely use Blue Line for any future projects.

Description of Work
Blue Line Building & Design gave an estimate for a complete bathroom remodel of a small bathroom that includes basically everything from new tile, new backer board, new vanity, and new tub. (Updated, 6/10/10) This is an update to a previous report I had submitted about Blue Line. My previous report was made after I had received an estimate but before work had been started. Work has now been completed. I hired Blue Line for a complete remodel of my bathroom. I performed the demo myself (to save some money), taking the bathroom down to the studs, and had Paul Engle and his crew do everything else. This included, plumbing, electrical, framing, drywall, tiling, and finish work.

Category home remodeling

06/16/2009

PENNY G.

He is very creative, and his work is of high quality. He was prompt, polite, and personable.

Description of Work
He remodeled kitchen cabinets.

Category remodeling, home remodeling