Simon Hardwood Floors

Founded 1998 • With Angi since July 2006

We are Hardwood Floor specialist and only do Hardwood flooring. We take pride in every job that we do. Please CALL OR TEXT ME at 919-369-0317 to get a Free Estimate on any hardwood flooring need you have. (Install, Refinish, Repair, Site Finished, Pre-finished, Engineered, and Laminate) We have won

Hardwood Flooring Sales/Installation/Refinishing Project

hardwood floors

Replace bad boards with new ones
View project

hardwood floors (244)flooring (95)floor cleaning (22)water damage restoration (4)floor buffing (3)hardscaping (1)house cleaning (1)

07/21/2022

Matt M.

Floors looked much better afterward - the pictures speak for themselves

Description of Work
hardwood buff and coat

Category buffing & polishing, floor cleaning

Work Completed On 07/16/2022

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 39807370

11/08/2021

Ryleigh B.

From the beginning I felt good about using Simon Hardwood - Eric was very easy to talk to and clearly knowledgeable about what he was doing. He was easy to get a hold of and was able to accommodate my short time-window. The crew could have easily finished this job in 2 days; they used 3 which is what I expected, but they worked quickly and efficiently and still returned a high-quality product. The foreman on site was great about reaching out before he came, and was easy to reach as well. The work I had done was refinishing red oak floor as well as replacing carpet on the stairs with the red oak, and I left it the natural color (no stain). The floors were perfect, and the only flaw I noticed on the stair was a minor, unavoidable gap and Eric was helpful in telling me how to hide it with wood filler. I would definitely recommend them over anyone else I got an estimate from, due to their work quality and their fair pricing. My only negative was that I was unaware they would need to take out the toilet in my small half bath, and they couldn't put it back for liability reasons. I'm glad that they did it so that the floors could be done properly, but Eric was unable to notify me that that would happen as he happened to be out that week. I feel that if he was in town I would have known and there would be no complaints. And another heads up to future customers, they do the best they can getting up all of the dust, but its a messy process and prepared to vacuum everything afterwards. *One photo is before, the other 2 are after

Description of Work
Floor refinishing

Work Completed On 11/08/2021

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 39540142

Thank you for the great HONEST review. Yes we both new I would be out of town for the job. I made it very easy for my guys to do exactly what needed to be done. They new how important it was to stay on the strict schedule. I gave both you & Paul each other's phone numbers and looks to me that the floor and staircase came out great. They new they needed to measure first as requested by the home owner and I also told them I thought water base poly would make the floors match up better to the adjacent floor we were working on and it did. Look at the pictures. Again, Thank you very much and if you or you know someone needing my services. Let them know about Eric Simon of Simon Hardwood Floors is just a phone call away. 919 369 0317

06/11/2021

Girija Y.

Simon refinished our hardwood floor 10 years ago and our floors needed a buff and coat after some rough use and a lot of traffic over the years. We were hoping that he would still be in business despite the pandemic and help us again. We were so happy to find out that he was still in business and he would have time to do the job for us. As before he did a fantastic job and the floor looks like new again! Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Description of Work
Hardwood floor buff and coat

Category flooring contractor, hardwood floor, buffing & polishing

Work Completed On 06/12/2021

Thank you for the kind words. I was very happy to be able to get you done on the day you wanted and then the painters finished a few days earlier then you expected so I got myself and another friend that has his own hardwood floor business to do it with me so you all could move in that much quicker. How often do you get two business owners to do the work together because it was the only way I could do it the day after the painters were done witþh one day notice. I wanted to get my hands dirty and really helýtphj thehjjj Home owner get into the house as fast as possible. I thought it came out GREAT and the Home Owner was very pleased with the hard work we did for him. Thank you, I love when I get repeat customer's.

04/14/2021

Carlena S.

The crew was on time every morning and very professional. The owner Eric Simon was very knowledgeable and spent time explaining my different options. He made sure I was completely satisfied with my floors. I will definitely use this company again.

Description of Work
refinished hardwood floors

Category house cleaning, home improvement stores, endocrinologist, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/14/2021

Thank you it was my pleasure to make sure you got the exact job you wanted. Thank you for the kind words and I look forward to hearing about all the compliments you get. TY again Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors

02/01/2021

Jasper C.

I don't usually write lengthy reviews, but this job badly needs it. Eric Simon quickly responds to your messages and will try to accomodate your needs and fit you in his schedule. His crew were polite and easy to talk to. I am giving them a D and not an F because of these. And that is where to "good" stops. The project was for refinishing red oak hardwood floors in our fireplace room, kitchen, and mudroom. Sanding was very bad with uneven, gouged areas, and you can see "waves" on the floor. There are a lot of sanding swirls which were highlighted by the stain especially close to baseboards and corners. Staining was not uniform as you can see light and very dark areas on the floor whick makes it look dirty. There is dirt trapped under the coating (Bona Traffic HD) and tiny bubbles which make the coating rough on some areas. Initially, I wanted them to redo it but with all the hassle and timing involved (I have other people lined up to work on the kitchen and mudroom), I decided not to. I did ask them to redo the mudroom as it was the worst looking area and would not impact my renovation schedule. It improved a little bit but still turned out with the same exact issues as before. His crew works really fast but don't take quality of work as a priority. And no, they are not dust-free. Dust is so thick on the counter tops that I had to vacuum them to clean them. Good thing I covered my cabinets with plastic before they started. When I talked to him over the phone, he wasn't apologetic and even blamed that the floor maybe wet and it is moving, and the job was "difficult" to begin with. No, the floor was not wet because I tested it with a moisture meter, plus his crew scraped some areas and determined it was not wet before we started the work. I had floors in adjacent rooms that another company refinished with the same stain and Bona coating and the rooms turned out great with no issues. I just could not use this company as they were booked 2.5 months away. Big mistake for me! Overall, the quality of work was not worth the amount of disappointment and money I paid for the job ($3,900+). Eric did not even come to see his crew's work even after I complained about it. He mentioned he was in quarantine and so I waited two weeks to see if he will offer to come and see it just out of good customer service, but nothing. I only saw him two times - when he came to give an estimate and when he picked up the check. He told me in the beginning that I will not pay until there is a smile on my face, but that is just outright BS to get my business. Not sure why he has good reviews here in Angie's list, but my experience with him is very different. Contact me if you need to see pictures of their work at thebats21@hotmail.com and I will gladly send you some or you can drop by my house so you can see for yourself.

Description of Work
Hardwood Floor install in one room, repair in another. Refinishing on both and a third room.

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 39244490

01/09/2021

Jana J.

Eric and his team were able to meet my tight deadline and the floors are beautiful. The work was done as described and in the time promised. I would hire him again.

Description of Work
refinishing hardwood floors

Work Completed On 12/28/2020

Thank you. Happy New Year & Be Safe.

11/03/2020

Quang N.

It was a wonderful experience to work with Eric Simon who is very knowledgeable, patient, and kind. Not only that his pricing was reasonable, he also made sure that his customers are perfectly satisfied with the completed work. His team was professional, punctual, and did a great job in repairing and refinishing our hardwood floors.

Description of Work
Refinish and Repair

Work Completed On 11/17/2020

It was my pleasure to work for this customer. In the end she recommended me to another great customer. Everything went perfect because she was so easy to work with. I can't say enough great things about working for them. Thank you for the kind words and im always here if you or another friend needs me. Happy Thanksgiving and Holidays. Be safe. Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors.

10/27/2020

Tom B.

An upstairs hardwood floor developed a buckle ('tent') that ran in a straight line from one wall to the opposite wall. Apparently the floor was originally installed too tightly and summer weather expanded the wood enough to cause the buckling. Tim from Simon Hardwood Floors came out quickly and repaired the issue in one hour. (We had leftover flooring from the original install and some of this was used.) I will definitely use them again! Thanks!

Description of Work
Repair buckled hardwood floor strip

Work Completed On 10/26/2020

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 38981899

Thank you so much for the kind words. I knew we would be able to take care of this for you, but it really mattered on the straight line and so on. I have done a few of these over the years & even worse than this one. We had a half of a day come up because my scheduled job wasnt ready because of painters. I called [Member Name Removed] and he told me to send Timmy right over. I did and the floor came together perfect. I'm very happy we were able to make [Member Name Removed] very happy. If you ever need any Hardwood Floor Install, refinish. Buff & Coated or just repaired call me Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors. Thank you all & look forward to talking with all of you.

05/08/2020

IVAN M.

Simon addressed my needs fast and efficiently. Timmy installed the floors perfectly. His skills were beyond my expectations and he worked diligently and with little rest. Work was completed in one day. I would definitely hire them again!

Description of Work
Installed Harwood Floors

Work Completed On 05/07/2020

Thank you for the very kind words. YOU WERE VERY EASY TO WORK FOR AND WITH. THANK YOU AGAIN STAY SAFE Eric Simon

05/03/2020

FARR C.

Eric Simon responded promptly and had a professional out within 24 hours to install and repair the hardwood. The technician was friendly, professional, cleaned up after himself, and went the extra mile to finish the hardwoods in a way that worked with the remodeled space. I am very happy with the service.

Description of Work
Repair of two areas where we remodeled and needed new hardwood installed

Work Completed On 04/29/2020

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 38537500

Thank you very much for the kind words. I'm so Happy everything went perfect and you are Happy with our work. Stay safe Thank you again Eric Simon

04/24/2020

Robert J.

Eric Simon and his crew did a 100% job for us, sanding and refinishing our covered hardwood porch. The completed work looks great, and I have received many compliments on how much better it looks. I would recommend Simon Hardwood. Thank you Eric and team!

Description of Work
Sand and refinish a covered hardwood porch

Category hardwood floor, floor cleaning

Work Completed On 04/15/2020

Thank you for the very kind words. I'm also very happy with the work we did over there. You made it very easy to work for. Stay Safe, Eric Simon

11/06/2019

Debbie S.

Eric Simon, owner, showed up to provide an estimate for our hardwood flooring installation. To match our current flooring, Eric took our only sample of flooring, with intentions of returning it within 3 days along with an estimate. It has been nearly a year and we have yet to receive our sample wood back or an estimate, despite repeated contacts to Eric to only receive excuses as to why he did not follow up.

Description of Work
Hardwood flooring

Work Completed On 03/06/2018

How is there a finish date if we never did the work. I am sorry that we did not feel comfortable doing what we were asked to do. This must be the tenth time she has tried to ruin my name over all this. It is well over 4 years now and the piece of material I took was red oak narural. She lived close to 80 miles from me and sometimes you just get a bad feeling for working for someone. I'm not here to bad mouth anyone but can you please forgive me for taking a sample piece of wood. It's been 4 plus years I hope your floor is done and someone took your job and did it just the way you wanted. Can we please let this most common piece of wood I took with me for some reason 4 years ago. If the job is done forgive me and move on. Every time I go on to Anglre List I see that F rating from someone I did NO work for. I am sorry and for future Angies List customers, I only get bad reviews from people we did NO work for one reason or another.. Have a great weekend and im sorry for venting finally.

10/09/2019

lynn C.

Eric and his team did such an excellent repair on my 15-year old wood kitchen floor, and matched it to adjacent areas so well, that it looks like nothing had happened! I also had him install new hardwoods in the past and they were excellent too. I highly recommend his company.

Description of Work
hardwood floor repair

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

Great Customer... Happy Holidays to you and your family. Thank you for the kind review. Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors

10/09/2019

Annie B.

Eric did a great job repairing two areas of hardwood floor scratches in my home. He was very responsive and professional during this work. I will contact Eric in the future for my hardwood floor needs and highly recommend him to others.

Description of Work
Repair and Refinishing of Hardwood Floors due to damage from moving furniture.

Work Completed On 10/09/2019

This is probably the 3rd job I've done for her. She is great to work for and I will always be a phone call away for her or anyone she recomends my way that needs anything Hardwood floors done. Happy Holidays & Be safe during these crazy times. Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors

08/19/2019

Alan me P.

very smooth. he got it done on time

Description of Work
poor finish was applied by previous owner. Eric refinished the floor. it looked great, job well done

Work Completed On 07/29/2019

Thank you for the great review. I'm always here when you or anyone you know needs ANYTHING Hardwood Floors done.. Happy Holidays and be safe. Eric Simon owner of Simon Hardwood Floors

08/07/2019

Erin M.

There was a small section of our wood floor that had to be removed due to water damage. They were able to use the flooring we had left over from the original install to replace/fill in the missing wood pieces. They did a good job! No other companies were willing to take on this small job. They were also able to nail down another section of wood flooring and replace a missing threshold. There was a job minimum which seemed fair.

Description of Work
Repair small section of hardwood floor

Category flooring contractor

Work Completed On 08/07/2019

06/01/2019

MIKE A.

Eric Simon was great to work with! We were renovating a property from the 1950's and we needed the entire house of hardwoods refinished, plus installation of new hardwoods in the kitchen. Eric knows hardwoods, is very thorough in his estimates, very fair in pricing, and was also very willing to work around our schedules. He takes the time to explain what he thinks should be done, and why. Most importantly, our hardwoods look AMAZING. Absolutely brought them back to life! I will definitely use Simon Hardwood Floors again! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND.

Description of Work
Installation new hardwoods, and refinishing existing hardwoods

Work Completed On 05/22/2019

05/16/2019

Siddharth P.

My experience working with Eric was exceptional. He made sure the work was done with upmost quality and was flexible to adjust the last minute changes to installation dates due to unforeseen circumstances. Overall, very satisfied and will highly recommend Eric.

Description of Work
Install solid hard wood floor

Work Completed On 04/20/2019

05/06/2019

Jack H.

I was preparing my house to be put on the market, and wanted to have my wooden floors re-done. While some rooms of my home had been carpeted and the floors remained in good condition, other areas of the house (foyer and kitchen) had been left bare and suffered the wear of much foot traffic. In my recruitment of professional floor refinishers, other vendors quoted me prices for sanding all the floors to the wood grain and applying two coats of polyurethane. In contrast, Simon Hardwoods suggested that most of the floors would respond quite well to just a buffing (to prepare the surface for re-coating) and one coat of polyurethane -- at one-third the cost of the full-fledged floor treatment. Furthermore, I was advised that even the more worn flooring would respond well enough to a buffing and one coat. The owner of Simon Hardwoods, Eric Simon, said that he himself would do the job, rather than his co-workers, to ensure my complete satisfaction with the results. Despite my need to twice re-schedule the job start due to preceding, other work planned for the house (extensive interior painting, kitchen range installation), I was easily able to have a date set and the floors completed in one day, as promised. I was thrilled with how well the floors turned out (especially the worn areas), and others who have subsequently seen the results (including my real estate agent) were also very favorably impressed, and wanted to be provided Simon Hardwood's contact information. Mr. Simon and his co-worker were neat, efficient, and very personable, and I highly recommend their floor re-finishing services.

Description of Work
Wood floor re-finishing on two levels of split ranch home

Work Completed On 04/29/2019

Review for Simon Hardwood Floors - 1409 Palmer Hill Dr, Durham, NC - 37859868

04/14/2019

Ryan N.

The repair job came out great. Eric was one of the only contractors that replied to my inquiry when I was searching for someone to repair the floor given how small the job was. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Description of Work
After having a leak in the kitchen, I needed to have a portion of the wood floor replaced around the sink area.

Work Completed On 03/04/2019

01/11/2019

Christopher B.

As stated by a few other folks, I really wanted to hire this company based on the positive reviews. Unfortunately, my experience was very frustrating and ultimately I was not able to get the work done. My rating would be "F" except for the initial response. I contacted the company through the Angie's List site and received a quick email response. After a few emails Mr. Simon suggested that I contact him by texting to his cell phone so he could get the messages and respond more quickly which I appreciated. A date was set for Mr. Simon to come to the house, measure, and provide an estimate. He came when he said he would and was quite personable. we received an estimate the following day and noticed that a miscommunication occurred regarding the stairs (we wanted quarter-sawn red oak and the quote stated plain-sawn red oak). I texted Mr. Simon and he responded stating that he'd check his suppliers and get back with me. I waited several days and decided to check on my own and came up with two suppliers and sent them to Mr. Simon. I heard nothing for several more days. I contacted him to ask if he was still interested in our project and he responded, "Yes." I reiterated that I could get the stair treads and to let me know if he wanted me to do so. Again, no response. After nearly 4 weeks I contacted Mr. Simon again and, based on his response to another Angie's List review, I asked if there was some reason he didn't want to work with us. He responded quickly stating that there was no problem and asked me if I had purchased the stair treads. My frustration was getting worse and let him know that I had not and that I'd like move forward with the floor and we could get the the stairs later. He asked if we were ready to start and I said, "Yes" but needed a little lead time to rearrange furniture. Mr. Simon said he'd check his suppliers for the flooring and that's the last I heard from him. This all started in August 2018 and we were hoping to have the flooring done in September or October. Now it's January 2019 and we're looking for a different installer.

Description of Work
Install new hardwood flooring and replace stair treads

Work Completed On 09/17/2018