ABLE CONSTRUCTION SERVICES

Founded 1989 • With Angi since March 2007

9120 GORMAN RD

Laurel, MD 20723

Able Construction Services has been in business in the Washington suburban area since 1989. We have earned a reputation for outstanding quality and service from our long list of satisfied customers. We are a James Hardie Preferred Remodeler. Our work was recognized by Qualified Remodeler Magazine and we received a National Design Award for a residential remodeling project we did in Bethesda, Maryland. Our goal is to be dedicated to working with you to meet your needs for your remodeling project. We take pride in our repeat customers and word-of-mouth referrals due to our high standard of quality workmanship. We look forward to working with you. License # 41497 Reach the assistant directly by calling (301) 370-1936 (cell)...

01/09/2017

Eric & Ruth H.

Very interactive, very responsive, really quite perfect.

Description of Work
They did a major facelift on our house; new siding, many new windows. They did a terrific job.

Category decks, remodeling, roofing, siding, replacement windows, doors

08/12/2016

Arvella C.

Frank and his team understood what I needed based on what my association had "dinged" me for. They came in and did the work. Any questions/issues were addressed IMMEDIATELY. He and Alejandra provided excellent customer service.

Description of Work
Replaced siding

05/27/2016

Eric & Ruth H.

Description of Work
Able Construction redid the entire external surface of our large home, as well as many new windows, new gutters, and a roof. They did an amazing job. Would absolutely use again. Very very pleasant and easy to work with.

Category siding, woodworking

04/13/2016

Karen F.

Able Construction performed high quality and timely work. The supervisor/owner was easy to reach and helpful with answering questions in a timely way. There was some concrete residual left in the yard, but it was a small amount and injury to grassy areas from work equipment and supplies was minimized.

Description of Work
Removed debris that was 3 feet deep across back of yard; built a concrete wall along property line, and moved prior wooden fence line from inside property line to property line. Removed remains of old chain link fence along property line. This project was shared between two neighbors.

10/20/2015

Karen H.

We were very pleased with the quality of the work, the workers themselves, and the end-result. It was a very positive experience and would definitely recommend them to others. Our home was built in 1973 and needed new windows through-out as well as siding. We chose to have Pella wood framed pocket windows (Pella 450s) and James Hardie cement board siding installed. The company started the work when they said they would and worked diligently until the work was complete. They even went above and beyond and addressed little things to make my life easier in the process (Frank fixed a wonky gate latch so that our new puppy was secure and out of the way in the backyard). As the work progressed, the attention to detail seemed spot-on and they were careful about things I would have not have realized to be issues until it was too late. Our 30+ year old home now looks brand-new. Very happy and highly recommend. You may find cheaper installers, but you will likely regret it. Frank's pricing was very fair for the quality of the work provided.

Description of Work
Window; Siding; Trim; Gutters; French door

Category contractors, siding, replacement windows, woodworking, doors

10/05/2015

Kathy W.

Able Construction Services (Able) did a fantastic job of updating the exterior of my townouse. It was time for exterior work -after 26 years (built 1989/2nd owner); water damage on front box bay window trim; gutters with pinhole leaks etc. I wanted Hardie trim for the usual reasons-durability, composite material with color baked in, fade resistance, pest protection etc. The Hardie website listed Able as a preferred contractor (only 3 in my area). However, I selected Able because James Kim, the field manager, who came to estimate the job gave such a detailed evaluation of the project. Also, the price was competitive with the other companies. Although this was a smaller job by Able's standards, the attention to detail and responsiveness shown by James, the crew, and Alejandra Vallejo on the admin. end made them a pleasure to work with. Able installed Hardie trim to replace rotten wood on the front box bay window trim; exterior trim below the roofline-decorative gable area, friezeboards etc. They also installed new gutters/gutter leaf guards/downspouts, soffits and capped the area behind, all return boxes and rakeboard. The final result looks great - even better than I expected.

Description of Work
1) Installed combination of Hardie trim and capping. 2) Installed new gutters, gutter guards, and downspouts.

04/21/2015

Jason K.

Frank came out and gave me a thorough and thoughtful estimate, crawling around in my attic crawlspace and checking for potential structural issues that another contractor I had gotten an estimate from never bothered to look for. The crew arrived right on time and did a great job. They ran into some unusual hidden issues once they opened up the wall, and I appreciate that they didn't try to sweep it under the rug or take any shortcuts. They scratched their heads and discussed several different ideas, and took the time to come up with a structurally sound solution. Frank was very friendly and open, even offering tips on some DIY projects he noticed I'm doing around the house. His crew was also competent and professional. I would use them again.

Description of Work
Widened doorway in load-bearing wall and put in a kitchen passthru window.

Category contractors, remodeling, siding, replacement windows

02/25/2015

Nina J.

Description of Work
Bumped out and finished my basement in 2004.

Category insulation, siding

01/22/2015

Gary G.

I received notice from my Homeowners Association that I needed to repair/replace all of my damaged/rotten wood siding on my home. After receiving estimates from a couple different companies, I chose to go with Able Construction because of their friendliness, knowledge, and professionalism. Also, the price was comparable to the other estimates I received. I explained that I was on a tight schedule to get the work completed before the Homeowners Association came back around for their inspection. Able Construction worked with my schedule to insure the work was completed in a timely manner, which was a major plus. Not to mention the quality of work went well above my expectations!!! I will definitely use Able Construction in the future!!!

Description of Work
Repair/Replace Siding on exterior of home

01/21/2015

MP Timothy B.

Description of Work
Able Construction Services replaced all of the cedar siding with Hardie Plank, replaced windows and trim. Attention to detail from the first contact to the cleanup on completion made the whole process a pleasure. I recommend them without reservation.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, siding, doors

12/26/2014

Alejandra V.

We had our large basement refinished by Able Construction many years ago. Angie's List did not exist back then, and since I have just joined I decided to give them a review since we were so pleased with the job! I forget exactly when the job was started, but I'm pretty sure it took less than two months to complete. Our basement was quite large (about 20 feet by 35 feet), and was unfinished except for a few temporary walls that separated the laundry room and the furnace room. Since the house was built in 1962, the first job was to remove the potentially asbestos floor tiles. This was done carefully and quickly by the Able team. Once these were removed, we needed to lay out a floor plan. We had some ideas as to how to do this, but Frank Laumann (the owner of Able construction) was very helpful with suggestions on how to get the most from the space. We definitely wanted a large area for recreational use, but also wanted to install a bathroom, and some storage space. With Frank's help, we were able to lay out a very nice floor plan that took into account placement of water pipes and ducts, but still gave us what we wanted. We also had a laundry chute that came down from the 2nd floor of the house - we definitely wanted to preserve this! Since the wall where the laundry chute came out was going to be removed, Frank came up with an elegant solution by installing a 1 foot by 1 foot metal utility door in the ceiling. The cool part of his solution was to install a couple of brackets on either side of the door through which a stout piece of wood is slid - this then secures the door even when there is a ton of laundry in the chute. Once we had the floor plan set, the Able team came in and started prepping the area. Since the ceiling was rather uneven, they had to level this off so that the dry wall wouldn't be all twisted when it was installed. Also, there was quite a lot of ductwork that needed to be covered up in such a way that it wasn't too ugly (we couldn't have a flat ceiling!), and also didn't take up too much space. During this time, the plumber came in and surveyed the area. Since we were working at the bottom of the house, a sump was necessary along with a pump in order to allow the bathroom to be installed. This also required quite a bit of work in order to dig up the floor and install the sump and drain pipes. Once the necessary digging was done, and pipes run (both in the floor, and in the ceiling), the electrician came in and installed the necessary wiring. The basement had been a dreary area before this job, so we wanted lots of lights, and lots of outlets. Not to mention telephone and TV jacks. This was done quickly and once completed, the walls and ceiling were framed and finished. Since we wanted to have a nice area for entertaining, we had tile installed on the floor throughout the newly finished area. This really made the basement look nice! When the whole area was completed (including painting of course), we were extremely happy with the results. The Able team was punctual and worked quickly and efficiently to complete the work. Whenever problems were encountered, they would consult with us in order to come up with the best solution possible. Everyone from Able, including the subcontractors, was polite and a pleasure to work with. I would definitely recommend Able Construction for whatever home remodeling project you have!

Description of Work
Refinished large basement including new bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, siding, home remodeling, basement remodeling

08/07/2014

CHERYL G.

They did a wonderful job. It was a large job which took 3 months. They had 2 guys here, 5 days a week. They were early and stayed all day, and worked continuously. The only concern I have about them, is that it is very difficult to get an estimate out of them, but they do a wonderful job. They really prefer time and material. They are high end, so they are expensive. They do very good work, it is just that they are costly.

Description of Work
They refinished my basement years ago. My basement was 1100sq feet, and it was gutted. They took out what was there, they put up the studs, they brought in an electrician to do the electrical work, and I had one area of dry wall ceiling, and they put insulation in the whole ceiling. They walled of the mechanical room, they brought people in to break up the concrete, so they could create a bathroom, and make a laundry room. They brought in a plumber for the actual plumbing work. It is a very large bedroom now with a double closet. I had the stairs going down to the basement replaced with wooden stairs, and they also put the whole floor. The code of the county said that you have to have two exits, so they put in a large window. That was the main reason I chose them.

Category contractors, electrician, insulation, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, home remodeling, basement remodeling

07/09/2014

Kim-Lan V.

My house was built in 1915 and was in need of a face lift and some minor maintenance. I found Able Construction Services through the James Hardie list of recommended contractors in the DC metro area. They were very informative and friendly when I had my initial consultation. They were also a lot cheaper and knowledgeable compared to the other company that gave me an estimate. So I hired them and they started work almost immediately. They showed up on-time and even worked on the weekends. Took a little longer to finish because I had them replace the front and back doors, as well as replace a portion of the roof that was leaking. In the end, my house looks great! I've gotten many compliments from the neighbors as well as people walking by. It's great comfort when you're working directly with the owner of the company and not just a sales person from some big corporate company. Frank, Alejandra, James and the team are professional, hard-working, knowledgeable individuals who work with you to make sure you're satisfied. Two thumbs up!

Description of Work
Replaced vinyl and stucco siding with Hardie plank.

Category roofing, siding, doors

04/23/2014

mary N.

It was a pleasure to work with this company. They are a Hardie preferred contractor and work hard to keep their status. The estimator is very thorough and professional. He made 3 or 4 visits to our property before work began, including one visit with the crew chief. He kept us informed throughout the entire process, including when changes had to be made to the trim (for example) because the contracted-for product would not fit. His recommendations for work-around's were all spot-on. The construction crew did a beautiful job. No detail was overlooked, and there are finishing touches that we couldn't have imagined would be included. We were so pleased with the look that we added new gutters (which Able installed), which we were not planning to do. The outcome exceeded our expectations and we are thrilled with the new look, as well as the prospect of not having to paint or do other maintenance on the siding for many years. I highly recommend this company for Hardie siding, gutters, and related work. I can't speak to their other work, but if I had another construction project, I would go to them first.

Description of Work
Removed old cedar siding and installed Hardie siding and trim on exterior of house.

12/05/2011

John D.

Overall, it could not have gone better. First of all, Mr. Laumann listens well and offers ideas and solutions. His estimates are realistic and so there were no surprises. His team consistently showed up ON TIME (or we got a call if something had happened). They protect everything in sight before beginning work. They clean up after the work is done for the day, We have found them to be completely trustworthy. The team is meticulous with respect to their work and were always willing to meet our wishes and to make adjustments without any fuss. They are expert in what they do, extremely hard working, and super dependable. We will always call Able Construction first and hope to goodness that they are able to fit us in.

Description of Work
Able Construction remodeled our kitchen, installing, where there was once a wall, new windows and french doors that open onto a much enlarged deck. The kitchen is open and airy and the deck has a refined look to it, thanks to Mr. Laumann's sense of design. It is hard to express how much we enjoy our new living space. They helped with selecting and installed all appliances, granite counter, sink and cabinets. We loved their work so much that we have asked them back to paint rooms upstairs, create storage space with lighting, restore cracked ceilings, closets, and chipped old radiators (our house is 93 years old). During their last visit, they were kind enough to help us hang a 5' x 11' rug on the wall in our stairwell, which is indicative of their attitude to help in any way they can. We are just delighted.

Category closet systems, countertops, decks, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

03/06/2007

WILLIAM L.

The siding crew was awesome. They finished my 4000 square foot Victorian house with lots of details in about a week's time. The house is made of Insulated Concrete forms which requires the siding to be screwed vice nailed. Given this requirement their price was fair but not great. They even worked on Saturdays. They were truly expert at wraping all the window and framing trim with PVC coil and making extra details like crown and lip moldings. They picked up their trash when they left and didn't leave a mess. Highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Applied vinyl siding, soffits and PVC Coil trim to an entire house made of Insulated Concrete Forms.