Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Get matched with top general contractors in Rochester, MN
There are 4 highly-rated local general contractors.
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Rochester
- HAMLEN HOME IMPROVEMENTHe gave me a fair estimate, and came in under cost. He was in and out of my home in under an hour! He was responsive and professional during the estimate and the repair. I'd definitely recommend him and will use him again.
- HAMLEN HOME IMPROVEMENTWe first hired Trevor to replace some rotting boards on our house and paint the exterior of our house. As he was working, he noticed many more areas of rotting boards than we were originally aware of. He went over all of our options and helped guide us with his professional knowlege without swaying us with his personal tastes. He was very flexible with us and the timing of the project since it took us a while to make a final decision. The option we decided to go with was to have all of the original siding removed and replaced with new LP Smart Side wood composite siding. It's a good thing we went with that option because once the siding was off we found some water damage in the back of the house that Trevor needed to repair for us. He was very informative and helpful in this process, letting us know that it would be a good idea to have a gutter person look at this area to prevent any future damage as the gutters were installed improperly. We also realized that we needed to add new window flashing, also due to improper previous installation, and house wrap, which we asked him to do. Once the new siding was installed, Trevor painted the entire exterior of our house. He paid close attention to detail and was very thourough. He even made a great suggestion of a faux wood paint for our front door and garage door. We are very pleased with the new look of our home. It's like a whole new house! Trevor was always prompt and cleaned up any mess that was made. I never noticed any stray nails or paint. He needed to trim a tree to get to the house to paint and he even cleaned up the brush! He also helped us install new exterior light fixtures and door knobs/locks. I feel like he went out of his way to make our house look great! I would definitely use Hamlen Home Improvement for future jobs. In fact we will be having Trevor replace our roof this summer read less
- KC StarHe has done several projects for us and has great ideas. He is willing to let us do some of the work ourselves and worked with us to organize that. He did a really great job and there have been no complications. I will use him again in the future.
- Nelson Overhead DoorIn the course of all these tasks, Mr. Nelson displayed solid knowledge and experience of his craft. He was always professional, polite, punctual, dependable and creative. With the exception of the garage door opener (which he completed flawlessly of course), all the other projects were demanding, made to order projects, where ordinary skills just would not do. He was extremely helpful at every stage of the projects, guiding the laymen through every step of the construction minefield. He made sure not only the physical product was done, but that the aesthetics were preserved and enhanced. He was a joy to work with and we enjoyed the product of his work every day at the house read less
- Reecer Remodeling & DrywallJeremy is a perfectionist. At the end of putting a second coat of paint on he was walking around with a brush and can looking for any mistakes. He also did extra work not bid to get the job done right. Very easy to work with. He also explained why he did certain things as he went along. Very pleased with the work read less
- Justin Thompson Construction LLCJustin has been the life saver of our recent 2 bathroom remodel. This remodel was an unexpected surprise to us - one we are having to pay cash for instead of the home loan we were planning on taking in 2014. After several extremely high bids from other general contractors we settle for a recommendation that ended up flaking on us, leaving our project in limbo for several weeks. We eventually tackled the demo and the first phase of the project on our own. Thankfully, we have a couple tradesmen that we've come to love and trust dearly. Justin was brought into the project by the recommendation of our plumber - and thank goodness too. He has worked at our place nonstop for 2 weeks, putting together all of our broken pieces. He isn't the general contractor that subs out the work - nope he does it all himself. Installing windows, framework, sub floor, insulation, building design, walls etc. He has been our saving grace and our project would have never been completed, or done correctly without him. He has our best interest in mind and has caught a lot of mistakes that he could've let slide - but instead has integrity and brought them to our attention - and then went on to fix them before sealing up the floors, walls etc. He continues to go above and beyond for us. He is always on time. He is always affordable. He is always honest. I'm so glad we have more projects in this house - because I look forward to keeping him around. He'll be the first person we ask before starting any project! read less
- Batzel Builders Inc.Good, he came back two or three times to address our concerns and do the work. Replaced a warped stair hand rail board, put in a brace under our stairs as they are the longest by code. No bouncing no sagging they feel very solid now.
- HAMLEN HOME IMPROVEMENTThe company provided a reasonable quote for a kitchen remodel, and we had a referrel from a friend. The job was to take a little longer then usual, according to the company because it was just him working on things, we were fine with that. He started the job in Mid May of the same year and still had not finished the job even into October. We ended up having to fire the company because of: Not showing up at all for the day, showing up later then when he had said he would be there, working at other jobs before coming to my job (essentially taking on too much work for a one man contractor, For horrible craftsmanship i.e. nothing was level, square, plummed properly, This person would lie, and make up excuses as to why he could not be there. Long story short, we were not reimbursed for anything, and it was a very horrible experience. I would not recommend this company to anyone. We ended up firing him, and finishing the job ourselves, for an additional 8000.00 dollars to hire others to fix his mistakes read less
Contractors in Rochester
- Business Description:We are Premier Home Solutions, LLC a Minnesota company that provides superior residential roofing services.Recent Review:He was very polite and worked efficiently. We were very satisfied with the work and his recommendations for what needs to be done later when it warms up.Janet B.
- Business Description:Specializing in HANDYMAN SERVICES! We always guarantee your satisfaction and won’t leave until the job is done right. We take pride in ourselves and on the quality work we provide, while always delivering great customer service! Check out our services offered, then call --or-- click to schedule a free estimate today!Handyman Services new and old from demolition to finish work read lessRecent Review:It went really well. He showed up on time. He did the job and we were very pleased with the service.Annie I.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and Screens read lessRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:Nick and Desirae Pegram founded Pegram & Dexter Construction and Design LLC to provide their community with local, licensed and trustworthy skilled trade services that focus on exceptional craftsmanship, attention to detail and an invested personal connection with each project they do. Their team has over 40 years of experience in all facets of construction to provide the proficient knowledge and competence it takes to bring your ideas and aspirations into reality. Pegram & Dexter endeavors t.. read lessRecent Review:Very well. Nick spent time with us , gave us some options and ideas. We ended up changing our minds on some things but I would hire him if we have any future projects.Garth W.
- Business Description:J. Benson Construction is a full service, fully licensed, insured, and bonded general contractor. We serve the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area and greater Minnesota from three offices in Minneapolis, Rochester and Duluth. We are a preferred vendor for Contractor Connection, Code Blue, Travelers, Farmers Insurance, First Choice Repair, Innovation Property, Lionsbridge and West Bend Mutual Insurance, among others. Please see our website for additional service areas. Additional contact name - Br.. read lessRecent Review:Horrible The experience was awful with this people. I didn't know this company at all, my insurance company send me a list of 5 general contractors to take care of my house, so I pick J Benson because they were close to my house and I want it to keep the contractor local and close. So I went with them. They send an estimator like one day after the damage of the house, I signed the paperwork and two days later they send a different person because the first guy had previews commitments, so that was the first red flag. The second estimator took a lot more pics of the house and did he's first estimate, he submitted to the adjuster and it passed just fine. But then it took them almost one whole month before any one started to work in my house, not a single nail was removed or anything. Then I found out that numerous contractors were going in and out of my house with out me knowing it. Finally the work started and the job "foreman" got involved, this guy was even worst, he only called and picked up the phone when he need it something for me other ways good luck trying to get a hold of him. This guy should be FIRED and never allowed to work on the field again. One day I called him and he's answer was "what do you need, I am kind of busy right now" Awesome. Then I asked for an estimate to build a brand new bathroom in the basement. The estimator give me he's quote and we agreed on the price, so they started the project about one month after the paperwork was signed. About 80% of the work was done when I found out that the estimator "FORGOT" to add the toilet and the tub on the estimate!!!!!! How can any one do that????? So I had to came up with that $$$ And then there was the communication with office personnel. Since day one right after I signed the paperwork I offer to give them money, the estimator said "some one from the office will contact you" NO one ever did, weeks went by with out a single person contacting me about money. Finally some one did and every time we communicated there was a mistake with the numbers, every time there was an "I am sorry I forgot" Unreal this people. A couple of weeks before the project was done and I was super upset with every one involved at this point I requested a supervisor. He reached out to me and we meet at my house. He right away start asking me for money, I pretty much lost my cool there and I went off about all of the issues I was having with he's people. He's answer " I am sorry I wasn't aware of the issues" This shows how unprofessional this company is I can't believe how this people are in business not only in the twin cities but in southern Minnesota read lessCesar M.
- Recent Review:It was a horrible experience, Justin gave a bid and sent a bill for $4k more than the bid, said the job would take 3 days and it still wasn't finished 5 1/2 months later, he took me to court to get paid for the job that still wasn't complete and pieces of steel were blowing off the roof. I won the court case to only pay him the original amount that he quoted, he has not come to repair his poor quality/craftsmanship. I'm stuck with a roof that is missing pieces and now have to hire another company to come in to fix his shotty work. I would advise anyone that is looking for any construction done to their property to run the other direction and save yourself the lost days of work and time sitting in court because he can't do his job the right way read lessTravis B.
- Business Description:Hardworking, honest, dedicated, and knowledgeable; this is what I expect from myself as a business owner and from my crew, and this is the promise I give to every one of my customers. I have been working in the carpentry, roofing, and construction trades for the last 12 years. I love what I do and it shows in every project I take on. Whether it's a small handyman job, a full basement finish, or putting a new roof on, I give my customers and their home the time and care needed to do the job .. read lessRecent Review:Josh and his crew were professional and on time. His bid came in way below other companies.William T.
- Business Description:Capitol Restoration is a Family Owned Remodeling and Repair Business Licensed in The State of Minnesota as an LLC by The Secretary of State and as a Remodeling Contractor by The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry. Doing both Residential and Light Commercial Remodeling and Repair we are equipped with an educated work force that is highly motivated and conscious of the Environment that we must all share and pass on to future generations. We take the time and effort to recycle construc.. read lessRecent Review:unknownStan T.
- Business Description:Our mission at Hampton Enterprise LLC is to provide clients with superior customer service, quality work and speedy service in all aspects of their home improvement needs. Licensed, insured and trusted since 1989; come discover the Hampton difference today! We specialize in the installation and repair of Windows, Doors, Flooring, Sinks, Bathtubs, Showers, Sprinkler Systems and much more. We also offer Interior and Exterior Home Painting, Custom Welding Fabrication and Carpentry.Localy in you.. read lessRecent Review:Showed up and did not fix or repair any work that was needed. Just covered up with tiles. left in the middle of the job and never returned. Never returned emails or phone calls.mando c.
- Business Description:Shanahan Building and Remodeling is a one stop shop for all of your construction needs. Literally, no job is too big or too small - we do it all. Shanahan Building and Remodeling prides it self on: professional work, competitive pricing, quick turnaround, clean job site and work which both the Homeowner and Shanahan Building and remodeling can be proud of read lessRecent Review:Chris (Shanahan) had to remove and replace 15 large windows and a patio door that had leaked water into the framing, excise the cedar channel siding, sheathing and framing, re-frame the addition and re-install the windows that could be salvaged plus three that could not, and a new door. This was more challenging than simply building a new structure, as one side was spanned by the deck and oak flooring, and on the other three the rubber roof had to be peeled back and re-glued. The header over the door and on one side had to be removed along with the king studs that supported the roof headers and a sill plate as well. Drywall had to be removed on two sides and there were some complicated wiring routes. Tricky to do without inflicting collateral damage. <br /> Working sometimes alone, sometimes with an assistant and usually with a high school senior apprentice, he got the job done in about a month, salvaged many of the windows (some were beyond repair), most of the interior trim and about half of the (expensive) cedar siding which he took pains to remove with out splitting it - very tricky. After each day's work he cleaned the worksite and wrapped the open house against insects, dirt and recurring storms. He always called ahead with the days' schedules. We have dealt with many contractors and subs over the last three decades and three homes, and Chris outperforms all in all categories of tasks. And he does everything from framing to finish work, to taping and mudding. The project, expensive as it had to be, came in under budget. He consulted closely with us for all details, including the structural work, and explained each option on cost versus benefit without ever talking down to us. Summary: Smart, intelligent, educated, competent, accurate, efficient, neat, reasonable, cordial. <br /> <br / read lessWhyte O.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
There are so many options for paying contractors that it can be tricky to choose. Whether you choose cash, apps, or checks, there are ways to go about it safely and easily. From payment methods to payment terms, we’ve got your breakdown.
Find general contractors in
- Zumbro Falls
- Pine Island
- Dodge Center
- West Concord
- Saint Charles
- Grand Meadow
- Spring Valley
general contractors in Rochester
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- A1 CARPENTRY SERVICES1225 E CENTER ST
- A1 CARPENTRY SERVICES
- Batzel Builders Inc.3241 Echo Ridge Pl SW
- Batzel Builders Inc.
- Capitol Restoration & Repair LLC2438 21st Ave NW
- Chris Fritsch Custom Homes LLC844 Zumbro Woods Ln NW
- CJ Bernard LLC25819 615th St
- Columbus Exteriors Inc18529 Hwy 65 NE
- Creative Decking & Remodeling LLC215 Pine Ridge Ct SW
- Capitol Restoration & Repair LLC
- FINAL CUT CONSTRUCTION6241 SHETLAND DR NW
- FINAL CUT CONSTRUCTION
- KC Star5309 80th Ave, SW
- KC Star
- Legacy Roofing and Construction2019 Arlen Ct SW
- Legacy Roofing and Construction
- M&JJ'S Carpentry's LLC
- M&JJ'S Carpentry's LLC
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
- Shanahan Building and Remodeling, LLC1224 W Center St
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space
- tpr services unlimited llc1750 2nd St NW
- tpr services unlimited llc