The location and functionality of your wall will impact price. Most jobs will cost between $939 and $2,697. Walls that are load bearing will cost slightly more.
Get matched with top general contractors in Salem, VA
There are 6 highly-rated local general contractors.
Matching on Angi
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Salem
- J S S RemodelingJames is a complete professional. He did exactly what we contracted to do, did it in a timely manner, was always on time and keep his job site clean and neat. Couldn’t ask for a better experience with a contractor.
- Appalachian Building ConceptsThis was one of our large remodels that we planned out with Appalachian Building Concepts. After demolition, Mike Motley and his crew began to put in the 26' above the ground ceiling beam to support the roof system. They then built the roof system and then something really neat happened. We were going to drop our ceiling down to 9'-0" but Mike and Lou suggested that we leave the vaulted 26' ceiling instead - that was one great idea. It added so much more to our house. The room feels so massive now. Much better than a flat ceiling. The other project that I gave them during this remodel was a Cantilevered porch on the side of the house. Mike mentioned that he has won awards for building portico's and other landscaped pieces. I gave them a drawing of what I wanted and they built it even better than what I gave them. The porch is quite amazing and became a talking piece with those who visit us. Not many have seen it before. This project was a bug success. This is the 4th time I have hired Appalachian Building Concepts and they keep delivering on great work
- Jackson & Jackson Inc.The work was done in a timely and professional manner. We added many tasks during the renovation and each was met with suggestions for proper repair and timely execution.
- Jackson & Jackson Inc.Amazing. Art and his crew are top notch. No detail was overlooked and the communication was excellent. They were very clean, and my new roof looks great. They made sure everything was proper, including cleaning out the gutters when they finished! I paid $3,600 in labor and about $1,600 in material. My roof is about 20 squares. The work was done in less than a week! I will definitely use Jackson and Jackson again
- Jackson & Jackson Inc.Arthur, the owner, was prompt, courteous, and reasonably priced. He stuck to his original quote and did not go over budget. He had a few different workers on site, but consistently had Eric on the project. We appreciated the continuity as it was usually just the female of the house and our young child at home. They were both very friendly and thoughtful in regards to being around children. The job took a little longer than expected, however I would much rather it take a few extra days and be done with the high quality level that Art and his team strive for. The team always made themselves available by phone or text with questions or requests (they even solved a few problems for us for free:). Their knowledge of so many different areas was impressive and there didn't seem to be anything they couldn't handle. We will definitely use Jackson & Jackson again for future projects
- Appalachian Construction & Maintenance LLCI actually used Lowe's in Christiansburg for some remodeling and home work and it was this company who did the actual construction. No complaints all around, both Lowe's and ACM were very nice, professional and timely. The work was completed yesterday and the house looks just like it did before the workers got there. I had a LOT of painting and remodeling done by a previous company who really trashed the house, floors and kitchen countertops so this was a very nice change. The work that ACM did looks great and everything is working just fine
- Dollman Construction, IncThe crew that was onsite during the renovation was great as well. They always kept the site clean and was respectful when asked questions about the process. They were also very knowledgeable about construction and codes to make the house very sound. The house is around eighty years old and with the work they have done I can see it being around another eighty or more. The office staff was always willing to help with any questions or concerns we had and would promptly respond if they could not answer right then. Working with Dollman Construction was one of the best choices we made. People do not even recognize the house now that it is complete they did such a great job
- Appalachian Construction & Maintenance LLCAll aspects of the work, from initial evaluation, planning, pricing, timely completion and craftsmanship were outstanding. I have worked with residential contractors on many projects over the last 30+ years, including construction of a new home. Never have I had such a favorable experience, as with this contractor. He saw to it that there were no deviations from the design plan and schedule. Crews came early and worked late, even coming in weekends, if needed to stay on schedule. In all aspects, the commitment to quality of the work and finish was the main concern. While the work was underway and unforeseen issues or modification possibilities for improving the end result came up, the contractor was there, personally, to give us suggestions and choices. In fact, the contractor was on-site 90% of the time, supervising his crew. The result was efficient progress and precision in the work. I expect to do other home updates in the future and hope to work with this company again. I give the highest possible recommendation to Appalachian Construction and Maintenance for anyone planning to do residential remodeling and construction projects; their service coverage area includes the New River Valley, Roanoke Valley, and other parts of SW Virginia. In presenting this review, I assure readers that I have received no special consideration, financial or otherwise, from Appalachian Construction and Maintenance LLC, nor do I have any personal or family relationship with the company or any of its employees. The approximate cost, show below, includes both the kitchen remodel in 2016 plus the bathroom, powder room, study, and bedroom remodeling in 2017
- Mills Roofing and Home ContractorI am going write a short introduction to those who do not want to read a page of examples. Ricky Mills of "Mills Roofing and Home Contractor" IS the business to hire for ALL of your, exterior needs including window replacements. I PROMISE!!! I am a perfectionist and Ricky Mills exceeded all of my expectations. I have had multiple contractors/construction crews at my house over the years and NONE have ever paid attention to details or cared about the quality of their work like Ricky. He is not just a construction worker, or contractor...HE IS A CRAFTSMAN!!! If you would like to contact me, email me at email@example.com. I will promptly call or email you!!! I will even send you pictures. Please refer to the last two paragraphs if you want a quick synopsis. During June, 2016 I noticed several shingles of our roof were missing. I knew that some of the exterior wood, on our wood house, was rotten. I needed three windows installed (one is a custom, triangular window 4'6" x 6'6"). I called eight roof/home contracting businesses. I was not looking for the cheapest contractor nor the fastest. I was looking for the business that would do the job properly. Ricky Mills of "Mills Roofing and Home Contractor", was the second business that came to my house. I do not trust contractors at all, yet I had an instant feeling of trust with him. After I interviewed the other six contractors, I gave Ricky the job. Thank Goodness I did!!! I had one contractor tell me he was the only one who could get a particular brand of roof shingles because he ordered so much of it. That was a lie! Ricky could have installed it and at the same cost. I had two other contractors come over who did not even get on my roof to look at it...what? Within two weeks he had a team here...tore off the old roof and put the new one on in two days. All materials were hauled away. Our roof was in such poor shape he needed six more pieces of plywood and he did not charge me extra (like other companies said they would). Before and during roof replacement, he found many issues that he pointed out to me. The siding against the roof was rotten; the chimney was so rotten that moss was growing on it; and one of our exterior wood walls was literally falling down. After we fixed one problem, we found another. And after I watched him fix several issues, I knew he had the skills to fix anything. For two months Ricky and his team worked on my house. The reason it took two months was because he and I kept finding rotten or poorly made exterior walls and supports, and I kept asking him to help me repair other issues. He had other jobs on his schedule, so he worked me in between them. He was worth the wait! I re-hired Ricky Mills in November to tear down our wood decking to install Trex, and to replace a metal ceiling and fan for our screened in porch. He performed this work, while we were out of town. Yes, Mrs. Perfectionist, scared of being robbed let Ricky and his team perform the work while we were out of town. In the end he replaced my roof, rebuilt several exterior walls, reinsulated and rebuilt internal wall supports, replaced all the gutters, rebuilt the chimney, removed our old custom-made triangular window, and ordered/installed a new one, put two new windows in a spot where a door was, installed vinyl siding, wrapped the fascia on our roof line, tore down wood decking and installed Trex decking, and tore down the metal ceiling of our screened in porch and installed a new one including an exterior fan He did things I did not ask him to do...little details to make the house look better (for example, he wrapped a piece of wood in the back of our house with the same metal he used for the fascia....he could have just had me caulk the joints and paint it). I will emphasize that I was looking for the "guy/team" who would do the job CORRECTLY, not the cheapest, nor the fastest....I just wanted the job done right! I hired the man who added his own creativity to our house so that it looks better...he did not charge me more for his creative touch, yet it took more time and looks phenomenal. I paid Ricky Mills more than his invoices because I did not feel he was charging enough. His craftsmanship and creativity are UNBELIEVABLE! I will NEVER hire anyone else! Even my husband, who built our house, was stunned at the work Ricky, and his team performed. My husband said "Wow, he is a craftsman. Our house looks like a 4-star restaurant compared to a Taco Bell" And, as a side note...we went from about 1000 stink bugs last year to about five this year. Hire him...he is well worth it!!!
- Dollman Construction, IncEverything went extremely well and I will use his company in the future for all my home improvement needs.
Contractors in Salem
- Business Description:Unlimited Handiworks LLC is an locally owned and operated residential repair, non-structural remodeling, and restoration service company established in Columbia Missouri 2005. Our goal is to provide the customer with wide range of professional trade services without having to hire multiple contractors. In 2021 the company relocated from the Midwest to Roanoke Virginia offering the same services with the same goal. We are also excited to be focusing on historic home preservation to help preser..Recent Review:EXCELLENT!! Erskine and his crew are top notch professionals and the did a beautiful job on this project! They were very patient with us as this was our 1st time having renovations of this magnitude. Answered all our questions and were just wonderful to work with! They fixed all issues that came up the right way and took no shortcuts! We will definitely be calling them when we remodel our bathrooms and basementKelly T.
- Business Description:Additional DBA - BCI.Recent Review:It went perfectly. The contractor and subcontractors did a wonderful job and actually cleaned up everything when they were finished. My home is cleaner and brighter than it was before completion of the job. I actually miss seeing Steve Burtis and his foreman, Bobby. each day. They were so polite, professional and easy to work with on a daily basis. They even helped me clean and place my furniture back in its place. I would definitely have them work for me againPatricia H.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and Screens
- Business Description:Remodeling & repair services focusing on detail and excellent workmanship. I emphasize customer satisfaction with the quality of my work, reasonable pricing and my reputation for reliability. Quality residential remodeling. No employees or sub contractors. Charges by the job. No travel/trip charges. Free written estimatesRecent Review:<p>We have had Mr. Souza do work for us before. He is honest. He allowed us to provide the materials instead of insisting he provide them so he can turn around and jack up the prices on things to support his new Rolls Royce. (Seriously, I don't even think he marks stuff up like many other contractors) If he did, it didn't hurt our wallet. </p> <p><br /></p> <p>Instead of replacing our master bath vanity, he gave us the measurements and had me go down to Renko to pick out a nice color and get it ordered. He then sanded down the old one and added two brushed coats of polyurethane. (Even removed all the doors and drawers, took them home to keep some of the polyurethane odor out of the bathroom) Today, it looks as good as new and it saved us allot of money because we didn't have to buy a new one. </p> <p><br /></p> <p>He replaced the commode and re-caulked throughout the two bathrooms. He also painted our garage and garage door. What a difference. What I appreciated about him most is his motivation. While something is drying he is off working on another project. He doesn't sit around or go away and tell you he will be back when something finishes drying. </p> <br /W. B.
- Business Description:We are a Class A General Contractor Specializing in All types Concrete Work and General Construction.Recent Review:The project went absolutely great, almost better than I had imagined it going. The entire group of employees working on my project were always very nice and courteous to me and my family. I was always kept informed of things going on and what would be happening when, and they were always more than happy to answer the silly questions I would ask along the way. The job was done very professionally and I couldn't ask for a better outcome of what this all turned out to look like. The job was always kept neat and clean so my kids would not be harmed if out playing in the yard. The job was completed in the time stated in the contract and when it was completed there was nothing I had to follow up with. Everything was clean, Dirt was all raked smooth and all areas were re-seeded and strawed to start the new grass this fall. The new porch looks great and I will definitely be calling these guys back when I save the money to have my back patio redone in a stamped pattern with a sidewalk leading to the garage. Overall this was a great experience and I would recommend these guys to anyone needing work done in the New River ValleyWalter H.
- Business Description:Sub ContractingRecent Review:If you don’t know by now then let me tell you that Roanoke and Roanoke County have a set of approved guidelines that they have adopted when it comes to the construction of a “New” deck where there is an existing deck. If your deck was built more than 5 years ago and you have a band board bolted into brick veneer, then get ready for this: All replacement decks are “Free Standing” . You cannot bolt into Brick Veneer any longer. Your deck must have a post at each corner and must stand alone as a structure. Now, you can attach to brick veneer for decoration IF YOUR DECK IS FREE STANDING. <br /> Ronnie Labrie and his crew built our deck adhering to these guidlines. Ronnie and his crew performed an exceptional job with the construction and final detail of railing and band boards. Uncompromising quality and attention to detail. THIS CONTRACTOR IS BY FAR THE BEST IN THE BUSINESS ! <br /> Our deck was built with the best wood material number 1 prime Durapine by Cox and Number 2 prime for structural beams and construction. When the Roanoke County Building inspector tells you that this is the model for all decks to be copied, then we did something right. The deck rails were Oxford by Certainteed the deck stain was by TWP and is not only a sealant but a preservative that EPA has certified. The attention to detail such as the mitered corners, the composite band boards the nailing of the hurricane clips and the overall detail was impressive. <br /> This is a wooden with composite band board and the best Certainteed Oxford railing system. The ingenious suggestion by Ronnie Labrie was to lay the boards at a 38 degree thus the entire board would be used resulting with “NO BUTT ENDS” of any boards. If you look closely every board has been screwed into each stringer board. There is NOT ONE butted board on the walking part of this deck. The beams were sandwich as three beams and were used throughout the construction. You have Three 12 foot boards by 12 inches high that were nailed and bolted to each other to create the best possible load bearing next to a steel beam. The Three 12 foot boards were not compromised in areas that could of used 10 inch high beams. From the footers , hardware, cutting , nailing bolting, cement pour, backfilling of dirt to final railings were all performed by Ronnie Labrie and his crew . <br /> <br /> Folks, when I say you can drive a car onto this deck we are not kidding. We have had other contractors to our home doing various other jobs such as landscaping and generator work with all of them commenting on the superior work that was done on the deck. DO NOT COMPROMISE BY USING ANY OTHER CONTRACTOR……………. Ronnie Labrie is your number one ! His project management and construction ethos has resulted in a superior job and I challenge any other contractor to come by and try to pick apart any workmanship. <br /> <br /> Bottom Line: You don’t need to look any further; Mr. Labrie is the contractor you need to choose to replace your old deck. You may also ask them to bring you by to personally see their work. From the project manager (Rob) to his contractor staff they all were the most professional folks you can meet. No one was cutting corners to save pennies and only the best workmanship was observed. See pictures and video attached to this post. <br /> If you want to know how good Mr. Labrie is……………… well he is also the Number One person that the Top A+ contractors go to on Angies List. You can cut the middle man out and save a ton of money by going direct with Ronnie LabrieF T.
- Business Description:Family Owned since '14 Moran's Painting will give you a personable experience with quality work and nothing less!
- Business Description:Strong building and remodeling company with 30+ years of experience in the industry. Our customers satisfaction is our goal. We are owner operated by the same people who build for you. We are safety oriented and look forward to building for you. Licenses include: Class A RBC, Class A CBC, Class A EMC, Registered Land Disturber. When contacting our office for an estimate, please remember we have a high call volume and you will be answered in order it is received! Thank you very much, Jackson &..Recent Review:top tier contractor, explains every step of the process, very professional, hires very talented support staff, communicates throughout the project, when problems arise he let us know and then dealt with them accordingly, we were never left in the dark throughout the projectsDon S.
- Business Description:We are two home builders that love to overbuild. Quality high end work, from people that care about doing it right and doing it well.We have hundreds of references and photos of most projects.We don't drink or smoke. We do what we say we are going to do, when we say we are going to do it. We can back it up! Additional service areas: Buchanan & portions of Pulaski & Greenbrier CountieRecent Review:Michael Motley was very pleasant to work with starting from the initial contact. He came to inspect the job needed to done and gave me a quote. Once we agreed on the price, he sent me the contract. After that, he and his colleague came to finish the job. I had good conversations with both gentlemen. Michael also game a few advises about house maintenancetao l.
- Business Description:I have 25 years experience in remodeling homes. I love what I do. I will always do a great job for you. I can do anything you need done in your home. I'm always very good at electrical. I will come in and hang ceiling fans, replace receptacles etc. I'm an honest and reliable person. No job to big for us! The pictures that are posted are jobs they we have started and completed
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
Find general contractors in
general contractors in Salem
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- Benjamin Bear Associates / O.L. TURNER & Sons Inc.P.O. Box 20276 Roanoke VA
Roanoke, Virginia 24018
- Brooks Drywall Solutions Inc1202 Missouri Avenue
Salem, Virginia 24153
- Building Integrity LLCPO Box 37
Roanoke, Virginia 24002
- Benjamin Bear Associates / O.L. TURNER & Sons Inc.
- CCR Home Improvements240 lucas street
Christiansburg, Virginia 24073
- ConWorx1695 N Franklin St Suite B
Christiansburg, Virginia 24073
- Creative Concepts LLCPO Box 1511
King George, Virginia 22485
- Creed Trim & Floor Finishing5116 Wayside Dr
Shawsville, Virginia 24162
- Crowe ServicesP.O. Box 11712
Roanoke, Virginia 24022
- CURTIS DEACON CONTRACTING INCPO BOX 343
Buchanan, Virginia 24066
- CCR Home Improvements
- Elevate Construction Inc1000 S Fairfield Drive Ste. 80
Pensacola, Florida 32506
- Elevate Construction Inc
- Gutter Glove of North Carolina LLC9650 Strickland Rd Ste 103-410
Raleigh, North Carolina 27615
- Gutter Glove of North Carolina LLC
- Honey Do330 10th St
Vinton, Virginia 24179
- Honey Do
- kcsi construction1838 Tuckahoe Dr
Riner, Virginia 24149
- kcsi construction
- Linenfelser Contracting Inc.5259 Aviation Dr.
Roanoke, Virginia 24012
- Linenfelser Contracting Inc.
- Quality Handyman Svc3806 Brambleton Ave
Roanoke, Virginia 24018
- Quality Handyman Svc
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
Columbus, Ohio 43229
- Specialty Contracting, Inc.1704 Mountain Heights Drive
Salem, Virginia 24153
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire 03884
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space
- T Allen And Associates Class A Builder Contractor1451 22nd St NW
Roanoke, Virginia 24017
- T Allen And Associates Class A Builder Contractor
- Unlimited Handiworks LLCPO Box 21235
Roanoke, Virginia 24018
- Unlimited Handiworks LLC