Cosgrove and Sons

Founded 2000 • With Angi since June 2011

14100 Red Eagle Ln

Silver Spring, MD 20906

We understand that home remodeling isn’t just about wood and nails- it’s about making your family more comfortable, creating a sanctuary where friends and family gather to laugh, where your kids grow up, and where memories are made. Avoid the horror stories and heartache that comes from choosing

05/27/2019

Ronald A.

The design help by Lisa was impressive and steered me to a much better result than if I had chosen things without help. All the work was done on time and well and the workers were friendly and courteous and kept the house impressively clean during the work period

Description of Work
Full kitchen remodel adding an island for a small kitchen

06/19/2018

Joye J.

The kitchen remodel involved replacing counters, cabinets, floors, lighting & sink/faucets; reworking the kitchen layout & flow; and converting from an electric cook top and wall oven to a gas range. I selected Cosgrove & Sons (after talking with 3 other companies) in part because of the professionalism of Steven Cosgrove when he came to see the kitchen, take measurements and discuss options. He was the only one who looked at the current gas-line set-up and made sure the electrical panel could handle everything. Another big plus was the design help from Lisa Cosgrove who helped me through the countless options of flooring, counter-tops, back splash, etc. The work crew did a great job, worked hard and cleaned up every day. They even moved furniture out of the way and replaced it when the work was finished. The job was finished on time, right at 2 weeks. No issues arose, and if I had questions, the crew chief or Lisa Cosgrove were readily available with answers. I was dreading the whole project because of the nightmare stories I had heard from others, but this was a good process and I have a great kitchen.

Description of Work
Kitchen Renovation

Category flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

07/17/2017

Ryan W.

Bought a deal for consult and 3D drawing. Meetings were great. Lisa was very informative and offered options and ideas. I expected a printout of the 3D drawing. She said she wasn't happy with what she had since we made changes and said she would send a new one. Didn't receive it after 2 weeks, and I emailed a reminder, but got no response OR received my drawing. I went with another company since they didn't respond.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel

02/26/2017

Matthew E.

Worked with Cosgrove and Sons to remodel/update a 1990s kitchen and family room and had a terrific experience. They were wonderful to work with -- both Stephen and Susan on the estimate and layout. Felipe was our amazing foreman on the job. They were always punctual and had great communications. They were also great problem solvers when our designer went out of the country and was unavailable -- Felipe made great recommendations and basically redesigned our fireplace mantle all by himself when they original redesign would not work. They were not the lowest price but good value for the money and finished the work on time and with no surprises. We will use them again if we decide to remodel other parts of the house.

Description of Work
Kitchen and family room remodel/update

11/14/2016

PATRICIA G.

They captured exactly what I wanted. They were professional and responsive. Would definitely recommend.

Description of Work
They did two 3D drawings of a bath and kitchen renovation.

10/29/2016

Randy M.

Lisa Cosgrove is a consummate professional. She provided me with a detailed plan for my kitchen with numerous recommendations. Today, we reviewed a detailed proposal for the renovation including allowances for cabinetry, etc. and items which I would be responsible for purchasing. Received a lot of helpful information from the Angie's List purchase!

Description of Work
Measured kitchen and provided blueprint and details for kitchen renovation.

10/10/2016

Carolynne L.

Met with Lisa Cosgrove who was personable, knowledgeable about remodeling, and immensely helpful in analyzing where to invest our limited budget to get the best return when we sell. We didn't hire Cosgrove and Sons for our project, but I would have gladly used them if we were intending to stay in our present home.

Description of Work
Considering a remodel of our master bath and other work to prepare our home for sale.

Category home remodeling, interior painters

09/09/2016

PATRICIA G.

They came out to give me a design for a kitchen and bath remodel. They were very professional and listened to what it was that I wanted. I'm looking forward to seeing their designs in a couple of weeks.

Description of Work
3d Design for a kitchen and bathroom remodel

07/04/2016

John S.

very responsive. quick supply of plan

Description of Work
Estimate for kitchen remodel

03/31/2016

Bruce C.

This was a $49 big deal purchase. They were fine. It was just kind of basic. I could have done the same thing myself.

Description of Work
I used them for a kitchen or bathroom design consultation.

03/11/2016

Jill B.

They did a great job. Everything went well and looks great! I would use them again in the future. I went with them because they do beautiful work. It's a very high end and luxurious bathroom.

Description of Work
Redid my powder room, travertine bathroom very luxurious.

02/24/2016

Rabi T.

He listened to my plan, gave me suggestions, built/drew a design, and gave me an estimate. The best rendering of designs among three contractors I tried. Very professional and responsive. There was one odd feature in the design, but he fixed it on request. Ultimately I didn't go with any of the three contractors, but it was a pleasure dealing with him (I think he was the Grove Sr).

Description of Work
Gave me design and estimate to finish my basement. He made quite an effort to show me a professionally rendered design.

02/19/2016

Charlotte F.

They did a great job. It was planned well and I always knew what to expect. The design is clever and uses the space well. The tile work is perfect, and the end result is a striking master bath.

Description of Work
Designed and extended a beautiful master bathroom------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Category electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

02/15/2016

Corletha W.

The entire process went very well. The team arrived on time each day as they said they would. They came in and immediately prepared the site for work. Once the site was prepared, they proceeded to perform the task at hand. They did not waste any time, every minute was spent performing their job. They took lunch and immediately got back to the job. Each day they cleaned up before leaving. They kept me informed of what was happening and asked any pertinent questions as they went along. Any questions I had, they answered without hesitation. The job was completed and the cabinets looked wonderful. Upon completion, they again cleaned the area before leaving. I would be happy to use them again for any work I need done.

Description of Work
The company installed kitchen cabinets.

02/08/2016

Vicki F.

Cosgrove and Sons recently completed a complete renovation of our master bathroom. We had been planning this renovation for a few years and had gotten bids and plans from two other contractors, but were never able to come up with a plan which reflected what we really wanted done. After working with Stephen Cosgrove, we designed an Asian influenced bathroom which was just what we had envisioned and hired Cosgrove and Sons for the renovation. Cosgrove and Sons gutted our old bathroom, installed a new subfloor, tiled a wall, the floor and shower enclosure, moved a floor vent, installed recessed lighting, did electrical and plumbing work, installed a new tub, vanity, vanity lights and mirrors, faucets, towel heater, ceiling fan, toilet with washlet seat, hung up shelves and robe hooks, built a custom shower, built recessed wall niches for the shower and tub and painted the ceiling and walls. No subcontractors were used; the work was primarily done by two Cosgrove employees, Felipe and Miguel. They did a fantastic job. Felipe was careful to explain how things were being done and always consulted with me about any issues. Both workers were very polite and professional, cleaned up after themselves, and as a bonus, were nice to my dogs! The only real issue during the renovation was a delay in completing the shower enclosure. One of the pieces of glass was cut incorrectly twice, which delayed the project finish by two months, and when it was finally cut correctly and installed, we discovered that the piece of glass on the side was too tall, so there was another two week delay for a replacement. To make up for this delay, Lisa Cosgrove gave us free labor to replace all of our bedroom and front entry closet doors, which have been broken for several years, so I was happy! My husband and I love our new bathroom and are very satisfied with the work done by this contractor. I would not hesitate to hire them again.

Description of Work
Renovated a master bathroom.

02/08/2016

Sally F.

This provider came out, talked to me took measurements, then never provided the design 3D rendering. I never got a call or any notice that there was any problems on their part until Feb 8, 2016. The provider is now saying they had computer issues, all well and good, but she knew where I lived and could have let me know earlier. This is totally unexceptable.

Description of Work
Provider came out took measurements, then never provided the design.

Category remodeling

01/16/2016

Joia N.

It was was excellent. The contractor had unique ideas that enhanced my original thoughts. The attention to detail was really good. It is more than I expected. The paint job was done so well.

Description of Work
remodeled master bathroom

01/16/2016

Joia N.

I used Cosgrove and Sons in Fall 2015 to update my master bathroom. They did an outstanding job. I hired them in December 2015 to renovate the basement in my rental property in Baltimore. The job required putting in a full bath, updating the laundry room and building out a efficiency apartment. It added so much value to the house. The work was excellent. The tile flooring, the paint job and the extra touches such as crown molding were very impressive.

Description of Work
Renovated basement in rental property in Baltimore

Category home remodeling, basement remodeling

01/01/2016

Roswitha A.

It was dingy and distressed, and they made it look fresh and beautiful, a place you want to come to to work. The workers wer always polite and left the space clean each day. It was great consulting with the owner Stephen, and he helped me decide how to design the space and colors to use. It was a satisfying experience.

Description of Work
They completely renovated my buildings office space, moving walls, adding new offices, lighting, tile flooring, added a new bathroom,

Category electrician, flooring contractor, home remodeling

12/31/2015

Donald D.

GThe house was transformed. It went from a literal wreck to a beautiful, modern home.

Description of Work
The Cosgrove team completely remodeled and transformed highly distressed home. It had been flooded, and there was was only the studs on two levels They designed and built a beautiful kitchen with breakfast area, deck, and created a great master bathroom. I was impressed at how Steve could envision the possibilites and then his team executed it skillfully. They designed the basement, creating a spacious bathroom, bedroom and family room.

Category electrician, home remodeling

11/25/2015

scott W.

Due to an glitch in their CRM program, my original appt. was missed in the owners' appointments. They humbly apologized and asked for a 2nd chance, which I gave them. I am glad I gave them the 2nd chance, because I was very pleased with their work.

Description of Work
Provided computer assisted drawings for kitchen renovation and also a proposal for renovating the kitchen.

11/18/2015

james a. F.

As a single Mom with a full-time job I knew I couldn?t navigate the maze of regulations, Code requirements, subcontractors, bids, scheduling, etc. by myself. I needed an experienced contractor who would guide me through the process smoothly, safely, on time & within budget, advise me if I had unrealistic expectations, anticipate problems & offer me options, etc. For these services I was prepared to pay a fee. I vetted several firms & verified positive reviews. After an interview & some negotiation about scope of work, price, schedule, & terms, I contracted Cosgrove & Sons. Key considerations for me were their stated ability to create design drawings from detailed sketches I provided, their stated knowledge of Code & Permit requirements, & the work experience they described on similar projects. Unfortunately, my experience with Cosgrove & Sons performance has not been consistent with their claims. I am now in month 10 of a project they said would take about 2 months to complete, there is still work that is incomplete or incorrect, they are not responding to my emails, & there is no clear end in sight. Some examples of issues that caused project delays & added unnecessary cost are: Code & Permit: Cosgrove purported to know local Code & Permit requirements, yet did not pull some Permits until after construction started & pulled other permits only after authorities issued notices of violation. Some electrical & plumbing work was performed by general workers rather than licensed subs. Cosgrove's mistakes caused difficulties & delays in securing the Permit. In one of the failed inspections, the inspector made him tear out all the new kitchen drywall so the inspection could be performed Schedule: The Cosgrove contract estimated 8-9 weeks to complete the project. It is now week 40+ & they are still not finished. Cosgrove promised to keep me informed about schedule changes by providing work plans & regular progress updates; these were never sufficiently detailed, accurate or regularly updated. The extra 8 months the project has taken has prevented my family from comfortably using our home and cost me about $1000 for extra offsite storage for our belongings Communication: Cosgrove committed to timely & regular communication, including weekly in-person meetings & written progress updates, but these rarely occurred. I would routinely have to ask for (often have to insist on) updates, including asking when inspections were going to be scheduled. Several times workers were scheduled to be onsite or pulled off the job without adequate notice (< 24 hours or no notice at all). At this time, I have no word from Cosgrove about when they will be back to complete the project. Dimensional Error: Cosgrove installed a new interior bedroom wall in the wrong location. When questioned, he chose to extend the bedroom addition rather than place the wall according to drawing. But then didn?t place the new foundation wall to fully accommodate his error. As a result, the bedroom is smaller than I wanted. Kitchen: Without consulting me, Cosgrove installed a Formica countertop in the kitchen (contract called for quartz, which Cosgrove delayed ordering and subsequently local supplies ran out). Only after I questioned this did it become clear that the Formica countertop was installed in an effort to pass an inspection, which would have triggered a payment. I objected to this scenario & insisted on the inspection being delayed until the quartz could be installed. Flooring: Cosgrove's flooring subcontractor installed new oak floors with many problems - sizeable gaps, knots, shakes, uneven joints, etc. - at the height of summer heat & humidity, meaning these would become bigger problems in winter when the wood strips would shrink & cause seams to open up even more. I was especially concerned in this highly visible area. At first, Cosgrove wanted me to accept the problems as "normal", then he proposed to use filler, and then to cut out some sections of the floor and glue in patches. I did not agree to any of these "remedies" since I paid for a new floor, not a patched floor. I insisted the Sunroom floor be reinstalled because many flaws were in the center of the room, which is high traffic & highly visible. Insulation: Cosgrove planned to install fiberglass batt insulation in the ceilings to achieve R38, but local code requires R49. When his plan was rejected by the Permit Office he then decided, without consulting me, that he would make the roof ?thicker? (using scissors trusses over the Sunroom) to allow for more batt insulation. It was only after studying his permit drawings that I realized he was planning to change the roof structure, which would have significantly changed the pitch of the ceilings & made them lower in both the Bedroom & Sunroom - this was aesthetically unacceptable to me. In order to resolve this situation I stepped in and found a sprayed-in foam insulation product & installer that met Code requirements without changes to roof structure, dimensions, & details. This saved Cosgrove the additional cost & labor of the trusses, but I had to absorb additional costs for the spray foam insulation. Cosgrove's back-&-forth with the Permit Office delayed the project for several weeks Electrical: Some electrical work not performed by licensed Electricians including installation of some switches, moving some fixtures, etc. Several electrical outlets are placed in random locations, some switches are inverted, others are crooked, & security lights & bathroom fan do not work properly, even after several attempts by Cosgrove to resolve the problems Heating System: The contract with Cosgrove included modifications to the heating system & installing new baseboard radiators. I repeatedly asked for heat load calculations for the rooms getting new radiators, but the subcontractor was either unwilling or unable to provide the calculations. Cosgrove left the issues unresolved, which delayed the heating installation, but he continued with other work ?out of sequence? (flooring and baseboard was installed, walls were finished, etc.) which resulted in extra work to remove, repair or replace them. At Cosgrove's suggestion I eventually located my own heating subcontractor who provided the calculations, could schedule the work, & provided a cost estimate. Cosgrove objected to paying his price (probably higher than his original sub) but he still didn?t suggest he would find his own alternate & offered only a fraction of the added cost as a credit even though a completed heating system was included in his contract. Only after I indicated that I would take this issue to arbitration (as the contract stipulated) did Cosgrove agree to credit the full amount of the estimate (less additional costs for work beyond what was agreed in the contract). This delayed the construction by several weeks Doors & Windows: a. I opted for more expensive doors & windows than what was described in the contract & I paid the cost differential. I gave Cosgrove part numbers and descriptions to use when ordering, but made a typographic error in one part number. When placing the order, Cosgrove could not get the entry door I had selected. Rather than calling me to tell me he could not order what I asked for, he picked a different door & sidelights on his own. When the product arrived it did not match what I picked out & was too big for the available space. I rejected the door & sidelights, insisted on being reimbursed by Cosgrove & ordered a new entry door that was the right size. Tthis meant waiting an additional 6 weeks for delivery b. All doors & windows were to have the same exterior & interior trim details as the original house, as I had noted frequently & consistently both verbally and on the architectural drawings. Cosgrove told me they could make & install the exterior trim around both the windows & doors, so I opted to go with his suggestion rather than ordering the manufacturer's window trim. When Cosgrove employees installed the new windows they had no exterior trim at all ? a detail I wasn't aware of until after the siding was installed. This is still a disputed item and not an easy fix c. Two windows arrived with damaged sashes, which I promptly pointed out to Cosgrove when they were installed. Nearly four months later, the damaged sashes have still not been replaced & may no longer be covered by warranty Architectural drawings: During the bidding process & contract negotiations, Cosgrove committed to provide me with architectural drawings using his commercial software. The contract also stated that he would provide drawings. Cosgrove committed to provide these before the project started, but he had difficulty generating accurate & sufficiently detailed drawings (including cross-sections showing celing heights, intersections of roof planes, trim details around doors & windows, etc). At least 4 sets of drawings were attempted & each time I promptly returned them with many notes questioning dimensional & factual errors, omissions, descrepancies, & questions. Many of these issues were not adequately addressed or corrected on subsequent submissions, causing needless delays. These drawings were necessary for getting the Permit and to be used as the basis for construction, so the workers would know what was required. The fact that the drawings were never entirely completed or accurate led to many delays, misunderstandings and construction errors Changes: the need for many of the corrections I insisted on can be traced directly to Cosgrove not providing sufficiently detailed & accurate drawings, a lack of attention to detail & planning ahead, and the assumption that I would accept lots of "little" mistakes even if they cascaded into bigger problems over time. When Cosgrove would send through requests for payments, i would find charges for 'extras' I didn't ask for or agree to, partial or missing credits, and other types of accounting errors.

Description of Work
General Contractor services for an addition: foundation & roof; Kitchen & bath remodel, rebuilding sun-room walls & roof. Included: plumbing, heating, electrical, insulation, flooring, siding, windows & exterior doors, carpentry, painting, creating architectural drawings for permits & guiding construction crew, pulling all required permits. Cosgrove contract referenced timely & consultative communications, regular billing practices, regular work-site cleanup, protecting adjacent household from construction dirt.

Category electrician, flooring contractor, plumbing, home remodeling, house painters

11/16/2015

Jonathan M.

11/21/15 Work and repairs by previous subcontractor on basement has been satisfactorily completed by Phillip (son) and Suyapa. They have also installed the outside fan, painted traction on the dog ramp, etc. etc. etc., and completed most of the "punch list". Phillip and Suyapa are punctual and dependable and do quality work. All that is left is installation of shutters, and Phillip is on it. We do not know how their pricing compares because we took it at Angie's List's word that they were an A company and did not contact other contractors for bids. The only major item that remains from the original contract (from June or July) is installation of a dog door. Lisa Cosgrove has been responsive this week in her emails and replies wrt our tentative options. We are presently waiting for a list of what our current options will be. I have updated the grades of Punctuality, Professionalism, Responsiveness, and Overall from F to D. I will update again once the work is completed. The grading system here is difficult because Phillip and Suyapa are most definitely A+ workers, carpenters, etc. The behind-the-scenes scheduling, coordination, communication, and follow-through is well below par, and at times it has been non-existent. I wish there were separate grading systems to reflect this. I can imagine that the employees and subs they work with would be as frustrated with the as their customers. Lisa and Stephen are friendly, nice, compassionate people. I don't know if they are over their heads or if they need an assistant. ********************************** When they come out to do the work, it's excellent. The sub-contractor's work was not acceptable, but they offered to fix it. The son's work is very good. The problem is that they can't seem to keep their commitments with the schedule and timeline. They have cancelled and rescheduled this appointment 5 times. My wife and I both took off work today and I'm leaving for a business trip later today, and we were waiting for them to show up. When they didn't, we called them, and they said "oh you didn't get the message. I can't make it today, but I can be out tomorrow at 9 am." We just want the job done and be able to wipe my hands of them. The craftsmanship is great, but getting them to come out and do what they promised is the hard part. We've tried to be as accommodating as possible to their schedule, but we've been trying to get everything completed for 4-5 months now. We want the work completed, quickly and correctly. We want everything to be completed by Thanksgiving.

Description of Work
ORIGINAL RESTORATION WORK: Extend the driveway--Completed Build a stand for a car charger for electric car--Completed Pad down for a Shed--Completed Mudroom Addition--Nearly Completed, just have to put some shutters up. Sliding Doors in Living Room--Completed Modified deck to include dog run and door--Completed Modify Door to include dog door--Not Complete ------------------------------------------------------------------------- FIX BASEMENT AFTER FLOOD: Tried to find a different contractor, but this company offered to do it. They used a sub for it. The quality of that work was unacceptable. The owner of the company agreed that the sub's work was unacceptable and offered to have his son come out to correct it. We are still waiting for him to do that.

11/14/2015

Mary K.

This offer sounded exactly what we needed to help us with our basement finishing. I booked the offer, then got a call a couple days later from the company saying that the offer wasn't good in my area. Eventually got my $99 refunded. Very disappointed... doesn't help if I receive offers that I can't use.

Description of Work
nothing

Category basement remodeling

Angies List sent us this customer and it was out of our territory. Even though we do not receive the money for the drawings, Angie's List receive 100% of the money, we paid the customer the refund, which was a pure loss to us. We are sorry we couldn't help this cleint, however this offer should not have been sent to us.

07/24/2015

Mark R.

Working with the Cosgrove team to provide us with a proposal was a pleasant experience. After receiving a number of proposals we decided to remodel our basement ourselves to save money.

Description of Work
Provided high quality drawings/documentation and a proposal for a basement remodel.