Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Get matched with top general contractors in Elmira, NY
There are 5 highly-rated local general contractors.
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Elmira
- Ogata SolutionsIt went really well! Good communication and great customer service. Fair pricing. Thanks guys you did a great job :-)
- Lord Glassworks and General ContractingMr. Loweth did **** of a great job. He was very professional, kept me informed of the progress, consulted me whenever decisions needed to be made, provided valuable advice, and carried out the work in the best possible way. Being a fantastic artist in another life, he had a sharp eye for detecting problems and creative ways for solving them. I found him to be extremely hardworking and he had great work ethics. The awesome part of having him do all these things was that he ended up doing far more than he had promised. I wasn't expecting all the things that he did to make my deck and porch look fantastic. In addition, he even fixed things that he saw needed small repairs without me even asking him to fix them at no extra charge. He paid attention to details and aesthetics. His work was of excellent quality. He is easily the best professional I have employed at my house. I highly recommend him. Super guy!!
- Crown Construction IncI've had two projects designed and completed through Crown Construction. I was completely pleased and satisfied each time. The first project was a bathroom rehab. It went so well and came out beautifully. I then hired them to install a new picture window and front door, which is such an improvement to my home inside and out. They took their time exploring possible design aspects for both projects, and together we came up with the final product. They are expert in what they do from beginning to end. Dependable and communicative. On time to arrive when they say, on schedule, and within budget. What more could a customer ask
- Eric Gray ConstructionHe is a great carpenter. He's worked all over my house. He's a good guy and deserves a good recommendation.
- Eric Gray ConstructionHe is an amazing guy. He can fix pretty much anything in your house. He's also done work in my basement; not just wood areas of my house. He worked on my fence also.
- Eric Gray ConstructionHe put a fence in for me. He is a great carpenter. He created a ladder in my basement for me. He is a good guy. He deserves a good recommendation.
- Land Shapes Construction CoGreat experience! They were able to complete everything in less than a week. Showed up every morning between seven and seven thirty and sometimes stayed until 9 at night. Amazing knowledgeable crew too. I'm not an easy person to work for. I did a lot of construction and remodeling in my younger days and I went back over the building with a fine tooth comb after they left. Crowns were all correct number of nails were correct. The framing was spot on. The only problem I had was with our local code inspector that wanted to treat the outdoor hand rail as if it were an indoor handrail next to a wall. I had to pull the New York Code to show him that he was wrong not the builder. I'll be calling them again in the Spring for more work
- PJB Contracting LLCIt went perfectly from start to finish. Quotes were accurate, work was conducted in a timely and considerate fashion. PJB advised on various other home improvement concerns and recommended skilled people who turned out to be excellent (for example, for drywall repair).
- Bagley Remodeling & RestorationI called Tim because the electrical circuit breaker to my kitchen suddenly started tripping. After resetting it several times a second breaker also started to trip-out. Tim came out, isolated the circuit, and patiently traced down the cause of the problem. It appears that someone when either building or repairing the house years ago had ran two wires between a joist and the floor so that whenever you walked in the backdoor of the house, you were pinching those wires. After replacing and rerouting the damages wires, Tim rechecked the wiring to insure that the problem was fixed before turning the power back on to those two circuits. Because Tim took the time to double check the repairs.He found that in addition to the damaged wires the two circuits that were tripping had been "tied" into each other. Tim immediately isolated the circuits from each other, preventing another problem from occurring. Thanks Tim!
- Russ AyersHe is excellent. He is a kind of a handyman, does carpentry like remodeling kitchens. He actually put my whole house together and it has been fantastic work. He does decks, hardwood floors; I mean he does everything. He actually built the whole second floor of my house and refinished the whole first floor of my house; he is phenomenal. He helped me with my deck. As far as carpentry and general construction like that, he is a single guy; he is not expensive, but he is damn good. I am not going to find a harder work or more impeccable work whether it is refinishing, hardwood floors, putting in tile, putting in floors, putting in drywall, or painting. I cannot give a better recommendation. I had an excellent experience with him. He is good. I have never had any complaints regarding this guy. He is very honest; when he is my house, I don’t have to worry about him stealing around. I would wholeheartedly recommend this guy to anybody without any reservations. I am going to use him in the future if I need to. His son is working with him now, and he is certainly going to do my bedroom in the next couple of weeks
Contractors in Elmira
- Business Description:24hr emergency Service, board up from fire and wind damage, basement and attic cleanouts, also apartment cleanouts, fire damage cleanups, water damage cleanups, home and office cleanups, rough and finished carpentry, all phases of sheet rock and taping, all phases of priming in painting interior and exterior, flat roofs and shingles repairs and replacing, gutter repairs and replacements, residential and commercial door repairs and replacements with servicing, window replacements and capping, ..Recent Review:Mr. Loweth did **** of a great job. He was very professional, kept me informed of the progress, consulted me whenever decisions needed to be made, provided valuable advice, and carried out the work in the best possible way. Being a fantastic artist in another life, he had a sharp eye for detecting problems and creative ways for solving them. I found him to be extremely hardworking and he had great work ethics. The awesome part of having him do all these things was that he ended up doing far more than he had promised. I wasn't expecting all the things that he did to make my deck and porch look fantastic. In addition, he even fixed things that he saw needed small repairs without me even asking him to fix them at no extra charge. He paid attention to details and aesthetics. His work was of excellent quality. He is easily the best professional I have employed at my house. I highly recommend him. Super guy!!Farhan R.
- Business Description:Norb Miller General Contractor of Dundee, NY specializes in remodeling services for over 30 years. We have an exceptional reputation in the Finger Lakes Region for exceeding our customers' expectations. From kitchen additions, bathroom additions, remodeling and basement conversions to windows and siding, we are here to see your vision to a beautiful end result. Our fully insured company also helps in guiding and overseeing our valued customers' design process. When you want quality and afford..Recent Review:Norb quoted $500.00 to install a new kitchen sink. Then he has an “employee” call saying cost has gone up to $650.00 Would not recommend this company to anyone for anythingMario R.
- Business Description:We are a local family Owned and Operated business looking to fulfill all our customers needs.Recent Review:TLR contracting & Lawn care did a amazing job on my fence. They were their on time and ready to roll everyday!! Tyler was very understanding and met my expectations to the T. I would recommend TLR contracting and lawn care to anyone. I have gotten alot of complements on my fence already, I absolutely love the job they did. If I need anyother work done i will have themShelby B.
- Recent Review:Recommendation: Foster Custom Kitchens, 212 S Albany Street, Ithaca, NY 14850. Andy Foster phone 607-272-8102 It is rare that you experience a truly ethical business person who stands behind his products and service. My experience would be unbelievable if it didn’t happen. Seven years ago we bought new kitchen cabinets from Andy Foster. After one or two years of use, we experienced some lack of quality and I began calling the cabinet maker for some advice but never received an answer to my messages. I continued to call the cabinet supplier over the next several years with no satisfaction. Foster Kitchens designed and supplied the cabinets but didn’t manufacture them, but Andy agreed that the quality should have been better. Since we dealt with Andy Foster, he made the problem go away, at his expense. We had three wood craftsmen working in our kitchen these past few days, one of which was Andy Foster, correcting someone else’s poor workmanship. No matter whether a company is an IBM or a locally owned business, things don’t always go 100% right. How those businesses correct the problems, is what makes the difference. I want everyone to know about the ethical business that Andy Foster of Foster Custom Kitchens is running in Ithaca. If you ever consider a new kitchen, Foster Custom Kitchens is the only place to go. Mel & Mollie 107 Simsbury DriveMel S.
- Business Description:Barkers offers a variety of services including home renovation, roof repair, flooring, landscaping, fencing, etc. We guarantee quality work in a timely fashion within your budget. At Barkers, we take pride in our work and make it our mission to ensure 100% customer satisfaction. Barkers is a quickly growing, owner operated company, that employs only the most experienced and skilled workersRecent Review:The service was excellent. He was fair and timely. I am very pleased with the outcome.Jamie L.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and ScreensRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:My recently formed company, Ogata Solutions, was created as an extension of years of remodeling work. In 2016 I undertook three total home remodels, facilitating the subcontractor scheduling, and maintaining vigil while the general contractor was away. Now that I am here in Ithaca I plan to grow my presence in the community by serving clients with best industry practices and safety at the top of mind. My sustainability background and business acumen gained during my master's matriculation in ..Recent Review:It went horrible!! My sister called this “company” to get work done on a railing that was wobbling on a front porch for my 84 yr old mother.. Evan came over to “fix” the railing. What he did was put a block of wood under the bottom portion of the railing and screwed it in the concrete steps. It took him about an hr or so. He charged her $100. I came home from work and noticed the railing was still very wobbly. It was wobbling at the top part of the railing as it was previously. I’m shocked that Evan left it like that. So I fixed the top part of the railing by wedging wood in between the railing and house and screwed it in the house. The railing is very sturdy now. Mom went up and down the stairs really good. She’s very happy with it. All done right? Nope! A couple weeks later, this morning I get a notification on my phone from my camera that there is motion detected on the front porch. I look to see and it was Evan, looking at the bottom of the railing. I came downstairs to talk to him. He said he’s here to put a brace at the bottom of the railing. I said it’s sturdy now, I fixed it. He said I’ll just put a brace here at the bottom, it’ll take just 5 mins. I said there’s no need, it’s fixed and moms happy with it. He said I’m not gonna charge anything, I don’t know what your problem is? I’m like wow?! I said we don’t need anymore work done to it, it’s done. Then proceeded to argue with me. He said I don’t even know who the f.. you are? I got a call from Jolynn to come fix it. Which was not true. I said how are you going to talk to a customer like that? He said your not my customer Jolynn is. I said I live here, she does not!! I said you charged her $100 for this and it’s still wobbly. I could’ve done it better myself. He said then why didn’t you? He said why didn’t you call me not to come over? I said I didn’t know about you at all. You just showed up here this morning. He told me that he was going to call my sister and come back to do the job.!? I said no you’re not!! I live here, do not come back here again! He was arguing with me all the way to his car. He’s very rude, swearing at me, unprofessional, very confrontational, persistent etc. When I first told him I don’t need any work done & I was happy the way it was, he should have been professional and said ok, thankyou and left. I would never recommend him for anything. Very bad customer service. No clue how he has a businessJoan R.
- Business Description:Affordable Waterproofing LLC is a family-owned company based in Delran, New Jersey. Started in 2009, Affordable Waterproofing has been supplying New Jersey, South Jersey, Philadelphia, and Delaware with cost-effective and superior waterproofing services for over 30 years. We pride ourselves on supplying the best basement waterproofing system installation, mold removal, and foundation and structural repairs around. Because of our commitment to our clients, we back all of our services with a w..Recent Review:It SEEMED to have gone well 2 years ago, but, I was told in order to get rid of the smell I would have to throw out anything that was porous. Of course I couldn't do that, it was many things. So, I learned to live with the smell (after two weeks the smell was back). Lo and behold (two years later) I moved aside some boxes and saw mold and a wet cinderblock wall). I called the company because I spent $6k for remediation. Someone came to my house and said "well, what do you want from us, you did not get rid of your water problem". I was livid because I never had a water problem until they painted my walls and covered up the holes that were drilled into the cinderblock to allow for drainage. I threw that man out. I had his boss trying to call me and the boss even sent me a text asking me "don't you want to speak with the owner?" No, I do not want to speak after being "monetarily raped" two years ago for a paint job, dropped ceiling removal and some perfume sprayed aroundTracy S.
- Business Description:We are a Veteran owned, family owned and operated company proudly serving Central New York and the Fingerlakes Region. We thrive on business relationships that become long term, and work mostly on referred customersRecent Review:We paid Matt at Family Ties Contracting over $35,000 to renovate our downstairs apartment in an agreed upon maximum of three months. The problems began early, with delays to the start of our project, but we cut him slack because one of his employees was injured in an accident. Not long after, we began getting bills for extras that 1) were already detailed in the contract and 2) were never signed off on. We were clear with Matt from the beginning that we wanted a space that was up to code, it wasn't till months later that we discovered he never even pulled a building permit - is a big "no no" where we live. Our local inspector did not seem happy about this and, in the process of inspections, we discovered other work that needed to be done to bring the apartment up to code, adding to the cost of our project. The problems continued when Matt began to refuse doing work that was clearly in the contract, from small jobs like installing the kitchen sink, to big ones like adding sheetrock to the ceiling to meet code, which was the first thing listed in our contract. The quality of the work was poor, we ended up having to hire a second electrician to install the correct type of outlet for our washer/dryer and a second plumber to fix a leaky sink which was installed. When the project was "finished" it was a mess (see pictures below). Worst of all, the project wasn't actually completed for 11 months - 8 longer than what was in our contracted, which resulted in the loss of a years worth of rental income. We were *constantly* calling them to come back and fix mistakes over this time, with varying degrees of success. To top it off, the owner apparently began spreading rumors about me and my wife because of the difficulties. I wouldn't have even bothered writing this, until I became aware of that. Overall, a totally unprofessional experience. We have spent over $52,000 so far and we are having to finish up by hiring outside contractors. We feel like we were screwed by Family Ties Contracting. It's not just the money and the poor results, but the stress and frustration made for an overall terrible experienceChad L.
- Business Description:Hopgart Construction LLC of Horseheads, NY, has produced more than 20 years of satisfied customers throughout Chemung County and surrounding communities. We are full-service general contractors specializing in concrete work, building, home improvements and home remodeling. We approach every project with a complete commitment to: Quality workmanship Honesty and hard work Old-fashioned integrityRecent Review:Very good came out for the estimate week later sent me my estimate. Came out the day he said he would start and stayed on the job touch base with us each day and was very polite. Cleaned up after each day of work. Work was done I belive to quick. There was some cosmetic things that was left that were over looked and that were left for me to take care of but can be fixed. Over all the roof is done and I hope to have no leaks for a good while to come. <br /David Q.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
There are so many options for paying contractors that it can be tricky to choose. Whether you choose cash, apps, or checks, there are ways to go about it safely and easily. From payment methods to payment terms, we’ve got your breakdown.
Find general contractors in
- Pine City
- Elmira Heights
- Big Flats
- Van Etten
- Painted Post
- Columbia Cross Roads
- South Waverly
- Beaver Dams
- Montour Falls
- Watkins Glen
general contractors in Elmira
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 1treehouse3204 Twinberry Cv
- A+ Mowing & Landscaping44 Main Street
Vanetten, New York
- ABG Contracting4 Carriage Cir
Elmira, New York
- Affordable Waterproofing LLC8000 Rte 130
Delran, New Jersey
- Alpine Home Improvement Co268 Route 6N
Mahopac, New York
- Aurora Stone114 Marcy St.
East Syracuse, New York
- Avalon Homes950 Danby Rd.
Ithaca, New York
- A+ Mowing & Landscaping
- KMASCO no CAN'T- we CAN do it ALL your way!108 center st.
Waverly, New York
- KMASCO no CAN'T- we CAN do it ALL your way!
- richard mix constuction6176 oatka rd po.box 306
Perry, New York
- richard mix constuction
- SB Construction56 Bert Little Rd
Lowman, New York
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
- Slavin Construction2366 Corning Rd
Elmira, New York
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire
- SB Construction
- Unlimited Development Property Improvement245 Flint Ave 101
Corning, New York
- Unlimited Development Property Improvement