M.J. Masonry & Chimney

Founded 1999 • With Angi since September 2019

I am a certified chimney inspector and bricklayer mason. I am certified for gas fireplaces and inserts. We pretty much do it all for chimneys we do cut/point, rip down and rebuilds if needed. Install stainless steel caps, fireplace/heating system flues, stainless steel high-gauge replacement

2022 Super Service Award

LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly
24/7 Service Offered24/7 Service Offered
Eco FriendlyEco Friendly

chimney repair (34)chimney cap repair (27)chimney sweep (25)masonry (15)fireplace services (11)hardscaping (1)

05/06/2022

Nancy L.

Michael was very knowledgeable about what we needed to do for the chimney of our 1915 built house. His inspection showed that we did not need to have the chimney swept and did not need a new liner. His service in fabricating the cap and installing it was excellent. I would recommend him to others.

Description of Work
fabricated cap installation/weatherproofing

Category chimney caps

Work Completed On 05/06/2022

03/27/2022

wey H.

Michael and his team did a great job with our chimney repair and liner/cap installation. Michael is extremely knowledgeable in his field and was very patient to explain the projects/answered our concern in detail. The project started in expected time and was completed promptly. It was a pleasure doing business with him and I would highly recommend him to a friend.

Description of Work
liner installation/ Stainless steel chimney cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 03/27/2022

03/20/2022

gregory P.

michael and his crew showed up when they said they would, did professional work and charged the agreed upon price. the work was top notch and the professionalism unmatched. i would heartily recommend michael to anyone needing chimney work

Description of Work
chimney repair

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 03/17/2022

03/08/2022

Nakul H.

Fast and attentive, highly recommend

Description of Work
Gas Fireplace cleaning

Category fireplaces

Work Completed On 03/08/2022

01/25/2022

Susan V.

We called M.J. Masonry & Chimney for our chimney repair and couldn’t be happier. He was always communicating with me and was always quick to respond. The team got here and got to work and finished the job. They were super clean and did a great job. I highly recommend hiring them.

Description of Work
roof top damper/ firebox repair

Category masonry, fireplaces

Work Completed On 01/25/2022

12/29/2021

jacklyn C.

Michael was great!! He was professional from the initial phone call. He was clear and to the point. The day before he gave me a reminder call, and on the morning of he called me to let me know his ETA. Michael did exactly what he said he would. He gave me a written report for my records at the end. Also, noting some areas in the home related to the fireplace that may need tending to, he offered to quote me for the job. I would use him again and certainly recommend him to anyone looking for chimney inspections/ sweeps!

Description of Work
sweep/ inspection

Work Completed On 12/29/2021

12/16/2021

george G.

Mike arrived promptly on time and got right to work. He finished the job quickly and provided a nice report on the condition of my chimney and what was done. He didn't try to upsell or bs me, and explained everything concisely. It was a pleasure doing business with him and i wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to a friend.

Description of Work
Chimney sweep & inspection

Work Completed On 12/16/2021

12/10/2021

erin D.

Michael was very responsive, had a fair price and the work was completed quickly. I would definitely recommend his services!

Description of Work
chimney repair/ chimney cap/ flashing

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 12/10/2021

12/09/2021

jozef K.

Michael and his team did an amazing job with our chimney repair. They were careful around the slate roof we have, as well as protected the skylight near the work area. Michael is extremely knowledgeable in his field and was able to explain anything we had questions about. It took a bit longer to get the work started than we hoped but once the team got going, everything was completed promptly. We will be reaching back out to MJ Masonry for some foundation repair in the future. Thanks again!

Description of Work
Chimney Repair, Chimney Sweep, Chimney Caps

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 12/12/2021

12/08/2021

Alex Z.

Michael and team helped to repair the crack and add a new cap for my chimney in a timely manner . The price is also very reasonable . Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep, Chimney Caps

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps

Work Completed On 10/22/2021

06/08/2021

Kerin C.

It went so well we asked him to come back to do a chimney sweep. Mike was communicative, prompt, fair and thorough. It was an absolute pleasure to do business with him- we HIGHLY recommend!!! Both services and visits went so well we plan on having him return (for a third time😉) to do a stone patio for us! I don’t think there’s anything he can’t or won’t do.... this guy gets to “Yes”... so refreshing!!!!

Description of Work
We needed a chimney cap

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps

Work Completed On 06/08/2021

02/06/2021

Richard W.

The last storm (2021/02/01) caused damage to the flashing / chimney interface. Mike immediately responded to our request for help and promised to repair the damage before the next storm. Well today (2021/02/06) it is all completed as he said it would be. He found the problem, corrected it and added a protective membrane to seal the chimney to the roof. It is a tidy job, performed well and I recommend him.

Description of Work
Flashing Repair

Work Completed On 02/06/2021

02/03/2021

Brady T.

We recently hired these guys to reconstruct a fireplace facade and hearth. While we have no complaints with the actual brick work, we found these guys to be so frustratingly idiotic that we wouldn’t hire them again even if they offered quality work for half the market value. I’m still not sure if our myriad complaints stem from dishonesty, laziness or genuine ineptitude on their end. I’ve dealt with bad contractors in the past and always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, but my patience ran out with these guys due to the following issues: - They offered to give the inside of my firebox a fresh coat of rustoleum. I thought this was a great idea and an adult with common sense would let me know prior to doing it so we could take our three month old out of the house. Wrong. These guys went ahead and sprayed it without warning and didn’t even open a window. We had to rush the baby out of the house and spend the night at my parents. -the next day they started to do an acid wash on the new bricks. Only after they began did it occur to them to let us know to get the baby out of the house. Another night spent at my parents. - They tossed the used acid wash on my lawn, killing a patch of grass. - They left the pallet of unused supplies on our lawn for over a week until I complained. - the mortar on the hearth oozed out and was left like that until I noticed and complained (see attached image). - They used a heavy construction paper on the floor. Rather than use painters tape to secure it down like someone with a brain might, they used a very heavy duty tape. Once they were done they decide not to take it up, but rather “left it for the carpenter and painter to use”. Both the painter and carpenter were blown away when they saw the tape. I’m still trying to scrape this tape off my hardwood floor (see other attached image). In all likelihood I’ll have to get the floor resanded and finished. To sum up my above review; these guys are decent masons, but if you’re looking for professionalism or even commons sense, you’d be better off hiring some 15 year olds.

Description of Work
New fireplace facade and hearth

Category masonry

Work Completed On 02/03/2021

Review for M.J. Masonry & Chimney - 29 Hancock St, EVERETT, MA - 39172662

Really! You’re going to take a picture of the hearth base that wasn't even finished. I know it looks fine now! I was there to clean it up! You have the audacity to blame me for painting the inside of the firebox which is metal NOT part of the quote, it was a favor you asked me to do even after taking $1000 off the quote. You were well aware that we were coming in that day to shore clean the hearth & façade, & we told you to not have the baby there YOU HAD YOUR baby upstairs. There wasn't anyone in the main part of the house. So I assumed you removed the baby from the house. Then when you came down & told me I immediately asked you to have her leave. As far as geniuses go I know what I’m doing, 25 years!. Then you want to complain to me about tape on the floor & protective construction paper that is normally used on a job. & as the Genius that you are you must’ve done your research and realized that tape is attached to the construction paper. As far as the material on the pallet that falls on the distributor who actually dropped off. I have a contract with them, when I’m finished they’re supposed to come & pick up the leftover material within a 3 - 5 day period. Since you complained I took care of it. As far as the tape strips, I could get that up with no problem whatsoever. It would’ve been cleaned up but I left the material there for the carpenter for their walking in and out of the house like the carpenter asked. Also I would have no problem coming there in fixing your situation, but you’re one of those guys that complains about anything but doesn’t let the contractor fix the issue. Instead you’ve asked me not to do it. & not to come by there. The question is who is the real genius? I thought you stayed two nights hotel I offered to pay for that two once showed me the receipt, but I guess that was another lie since you state in here you stayed at your parents, just get more money. The quote will be in my gallery if any1 wants to see. What about the job I did b4 this one & you hired me again.

01/22/2021

Andrea B.

Mike did an excellent job He bid the job and stuck to that price Price was reasonable Mike paid attention to details and diagnosed our water issue successfully Quality job and responsive to text messages I would recommend him

Description of Work
Chimney Repair and cap

Category chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 01/22/2021

12/26/2020

Helen S.

He inspected the problem and returned the following day to repair the leaky roof before the rain returned. He shared pictures of the work that was done and provided a 10-year warranty.

Description of Work
Chimney flashing was repaired.

Work Completed On 12/04/2020

12/12/2020

Daniel G.

We owned properties for 20+ years. I never ever seen frank, honest and delivering the promise company like MJ masonry. Thank you for Mike honesty, we saved $15,869.00 for cheminey work was quoted by others. Mike Thank you ,Thank you.

Description of Work
Fireplaces

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Work Completed On 12/12/2020

11/16/2020

Ernie B.

Very well.Another company gave me a bid which was 4x higher.Michael came to my house inspected the fireplace told me had to be done.Michael and Artie replaced the bricks and they matched perfect.Crack was repaired and now we can enjoy our fireplace again.

Description of Work
Replace cracked bricks in fireplace chimney and crack in firebox

Work Completed On 11/15/2020

11/12/2020

Tracy N.

Extremely responsive, polite and honest!! Would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Inspection of chimney

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 11/05/2020

11/08/2020

Bill M.

Michael was excellent! Would hire him again in a second. I had another company come in and told me I needed a ton of work done on my chimney. I didn’t believe that to be the case and Michael was able to confirm my chimney was in great shape. Hire MJ Masonry & Chimney before you hire anyone else you’ll be gladly did!

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep

Work Completed On 11/08/2020

11/07/2020

Steve W.

It went very well, he was prompt, cleaned the area and does great work.

Description of Work
We needed a new liner installed, cap and repair for the main chimney and the other chimney with a wood stove, needed to be swept

Category chimney sweep, chimney caps, fireplaces

Work Completed On 11/06/2020

10/29/2020

James W.

I was very appreciative that Mike came over the same day I called to certify my chimney for my new heating boiler installation. He went out of his way to come by to meet me after his other work was done at 5:30 pm. Mike was very knowledgeable and communicative. He was prompt and on time and always respond to my texts. He even refused to fix my chimney flashing as I am planning to replace my roof next year. Very honorable man, told me he doesn't want to rip me off for something I don't need. I am planning to hire him to repoint my chimney next year.

Description of Work
Chimney certification for new boiler installation

Category chimney sweep, masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

Work Completed On 10/28/2020

10/29/2020

Alexandra S.

Mike was great! Knowledgeable, responsive and fair. You can tell he cares about his clients.

Description of Work
Chimney Sweep

Work Completed On 10/29/2020