Matthews Roofing Co Inc

Founded 1934 • With Angi since October 2001

3737 W North Ave

Chicago, IL 60647

We began in 1934... & we're still going strong At Matthews Roofing, history isn't just measured by the many years we've been in business. Since 1934, we have built a reputation for quality, integrity and customer care that sets us apart from other Chicago roofing contractors. Matthews Family 4th generation-owned and operated. When you decide on a roof with Matthews Roofing, you'll get a superior product. Whether you are looking for residential, industrial, or commercial roofing in Chicago, we've got your covered. You'll also discover a personal touch that is often missing in today's fast-paced roofing industry....

12/31/2020

Bradley C.

I worked with Tim, who went over the job with me from start to finish. I own the typical Chicago two-flat, and I'm glad I chose Matthews because the workers found a large part of parapet wall that was badly in need of replacement. The roof was more than 15 years old and I knew I had some leaks but I couldn't find where they were coming from. Tim was up on the roof when they exposed the deteriorating brickwork and gave me a separate bid for the masonry work -- all around the parapet wall inside and out and above the stones on some windows. From past experience, I believe some other roofers would have just covered up the bricks with new flashing and my problems would have continued. The new brickwork on the parapet was beautiful, but some of the workers on the windows reset the bricks in crooked. Tim had another crew come out to redo the work and they even threw in some extra pointing that wasn't in the job. They started right on schedule, completed the job promptly, and cleaned the site thoroughly. So all in all, I was quite satisfied with the job.

Description of Work
Flat roof replacement, new gutter and masonry tuckpointing

Category gutter repair, masonry, roofing

09/13/2019

Craig S.

Initially, Mathews seemed like a competent contactor. Rated well here and BBB. Bidding process was professional. They provided a quote to do roof repairs, fascia repairs and complete gutter and downspout replacement. Contract was signed and a significant down payment was made. A couple of weeks passed and after a multiple requests, Matthews repaired the missing shingles on the roof. I inquired about the fascia and downspouts during this time. They claimed it was a different crew and they'd schedule another day. A bit cumbersome and annoying, but still seemed reasonable. Well, weeks have turned into months. Many outreaches have been made -- phone calls, emails -- alternating between polite and frustrated -- attempting to get them to complete the contacted work all the while my gutters/fascia remain in a poor condition. On top of that, I was taken for the advanced payment on the aluminum work (majority of contract value) that they have refused to perform. In hindsight, I believe they never had the intention of performing the aluminum work. They have stated during my number requests that they subcontract that work and have no control. It appears they just quote the aluminum work to raise the contact value in order to collect a higher upfront payment, do the roofing work, then walk away with more money than the roofing portion of the work in the contract! This was clearly the case in my situation. I normally hesitate to write a negative review, but want to be sure to pass this on to list members so they aren't subject to the same shady business practices.

Description of Work
Roof Repair, Fascia Repair, Gutters & Downspouts

01/11/2019

MATTHEW H.

Estimator was supposed to call me back in two days. When a week went by and I hadn't heard, I followed up. I spoke with another estimator who told me that the first guy was out sick so that is why no one responded. I understand sickness - but no backup system? We agreed to meet on Friday. Took off work. When there was a no show by the 2nd estimator I called. The dispatch at home office saw my appointment but could not get a hold of the 2nd estimator. When he finally called back, he told me that our appointment was the following day. My word vs his as I never received any type of confirmation or follow up. Amateur hour. Going to move on. The home office guys apologized and were nice but the process was very frustrating.

Description of Work
Roofing Repair

10/15/2018

samantha A.

I had a consultation with Tom. This was the 3rd roofing company I had worked with. Tom was the only one who checked for a rain/ice barrier under a part of my roof that my home inspector suggested might need to changed from shingles to flat roof. This saved me quite a chunk of change. Tom also gave some advice I had on gutter questions. These guys are courteous and honest, and didn't try to upsell. I would certainly do business with them in the future.

Description of Work
Replace a slow-sloped roof

10/12/2018

Carol M.

Asked for a quote and never heard a word from them. Sent another request with same response. Must not need the business

Description of Work
Roof estimate

Category masonry, roofing, chimney repair, skylights

06/12/2018

Adna L.

Perfect! They did a great job. They were very respectful regarding coming in to work on the skylight, and cleaned everything afterwards.

Description of Work
New roof & skylight

Category roofing, skylights

06/08/2018

Elizabeth H.

This job went very well from initial estimate and assessment to the final inspection after work was complete. I am a novice home owner and flat roofs were new for me. There was a recurring leak that three times penetrated the interior of my home causing dry wall damage on multiple levels and weakening of hard wood flooring. After repeated small repairs by another large Chicago roofing company, the leak persisted so I finally decided to bid out a more comprehensive repair. Matthews had a very good process coordinated by their lead (sales?) manager Eric Napier who proposed options and pricing, then oversaw the work and conducted the final inspection. Eric is knowledgeable, likeable and Matthews "secret weapon." He is part roofing expert and part relationship manager. He was the only professional who took the time to really investigate the possible sources of the leak and offer different options. He also recommended another contractor for siding and parapet improvements who was equally likeable, trustworthy and actually reduced his part of the estimate with some cost saving ideas. Other service providers' recommendations ranged from further small repairs to an entire roof replacement (three times the cost of Matthews' proposal). Ultimately I agreed to an entire recoating (?) of the roof, plus some critical repairs to the scupper box drainage that had gaps to the roof surface and likely one source of the leaking. I highly recommend Matthews for their quality of work, knowledge and balanced proposal, as well as the commitment of a management resource like Eric Napier to coordinate the job professionally from start to finish.

Description of Work
Roof repair and recoating -- 1500 sq ft flat roof of a residential SFH, including scupper box replacement and realignment.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

06/08/2018

Frank C.

Received great input and thoughtful options from Joel during proposal development. They did well coordinating work with other trades and entire field team did a great job. Work was completed on time and the site was left clean and undamaged. They took extra care in closing up any flashing conditions that required the stucco contractor to finish up. I will definitely use Matthew's Roofing for future inspections and repair.

Description of Work
Misc. roof repair, coatings and tear-off re-roof

06/07/2018

Victoria P.

Called for a quote. They took my name and number but never contacted me

Description of Work
Roof replaced

04/02/2018

Jeanette G.

They were very efficient and did a great job repairing the roof.

Description of Work
Fixed leaky roof

01/17/2018

Bernard H.

Worked with sales associate Eric N. throughout the whole process (inspection, estimate, scheduling, and post construction inspection/follow-up). At the start, he took time to point out all the issues that were present with my roof and explained all options Matthews would provide to replace it. He also explained how their 10-year warranty works and that Matthews would inspect their work every few years (no costs to do inspections but if repairs are needed a small fee for labor is required). After the work order was signed, Matthews was able to start the project four weeks later. As for the work itself, it was done in a timely manner and all debris/waste/dust had been completely cleaned up. On post-inspection of the work, there were a few items that needed to be corrected but Eric was able to address and resolve those issues immediately. One example was an error of the skylight (the wrong design was ordered/installed). He was able to get a new one ordered and installed a few months later (ordering the skylight took a few weeks but Matthews could not install immediately due to the snow/extreme cold). For the "inconvenience", he was able to have gutter guards added for no additional charge. Overall, I am happy of the work done by Matthews. Eric was very pleasant to work with as well. Would definitely use Matthews/Eric again for any roofing projects I would have.

Description of Work
Removal and disposal of old bitumen roof and installation of granulated bitumen on top of building and on front porch structure. Project included insulation, new gutters and skylight replacement.

Category gutter repair, insulation, roofing, skylights

12/06/2017

Lillian Y.

They never returned our calls or email inquiries.

Description of Work
3502 N. Oakley

09/20/2017

Jeanine C.

Great job. Highly recommend Matthews Roofing. This is the third project they have completed for me in the past year. They are are always professional, knowledgeable, and ensure quality work is completed.

Description of Work
Completed a new roof with gutter and flashing on room extension.

09/19/2017

Vicki M.

Negotiations went smoothly with the ability to spread out payments slightly longer than their norm. Price was competitive with 4 other bids. Work started promptly on the scheduled date and took only 1 day longer than anticipated, due to out-of-stock materials. Work proceeded everyday at break-neck speed. Once the demo equipment was set up, we received drone pictures of the top of the roof as work proceeded -- it was amazing to watch the process. Our representative was in contact with us often and even met me at the building to choose just the right color of flashing. No complaints from tenants who said "It was loud, but we expected that. Afterall they poured gravel through a chute for 2 days." They reported the workers were very polite and accommodating. No complaints from neighbors, who said they were not impacted greatly by the work. One tiny piece of damage occurred and they offered to pay to fix it. It was so tiny, we just went ahead and did it. Great experience and would recommend this contractor.

Description of Work
We replaced an old flat roof on an 8-unit residential rental building. With 3 layers of gravel roof to be removed, it was a challenging job. The set-up involved a large waste chute, multiple dumpsters, and safety railings around the entire perimeter.

09/18/2017

Margaret T.

He was outstanding. They did everything that my son in law wanted. I had five men for six days here, they did a good job. They were the best. Everyone is just awww struck by the roof. It's just gorgeous. It's just exactly what my son in law architect wanted. They did a fantastic job. They put in the installation that we needed. The slopped it down. They were outstanding. I don't think any other roofer would do what they did. I would absolutely use them again, I think I have a 20 year guarantee on the roof.

Description of Work
They did roofing work. They replaced the chimney, the whole wood substructure. They put on the elastic membrane

09/18/2017

Nancy D.

Didn't use. Company couldn't handle the job

Description of Work
We needed some repair work done on our roof. It is a rubber shingle roof and the estimator didn't know what kind of roof it was nor could they work on it. He had been doing this work for 30 years and had never seen a roof like ours. I found that a little odd as it's not that unique. I'm surprised that the company has been around so long and couldn't repair.

I am sure that our estimator Tom hasn't seen a roof like yours. Just to let you know, Tom is honest as the day is long. It is sometimes hard to determine what manufacturer was used without taking the roof apart to see the label underneath. We must have the manufacturer's name of the synthetic shingle for a repair to be made. Each manufacturer of synthetics are unique and should be made with their own material. There must be some record somewhere that shows what was used. We can take another look with a different estimator that may have knowledge of your roof system. Please let us know if your would like us to come out again. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

09/14/2017

Scot P.

I just wanted to send a quick note thanking Matthews Roofing and particularly Eric for the work on our recent reroof. I was impressed with the knowledge, craftsmanship and professionalism of Eric and the crew. We have a non-typical roof and I was looking for a company that would stop and analyze problems when they came up instead of ripping it off and slapping something back on, a do it right, do it once kind of attitude. When we found problems Eric and the crew did that as well as taking the time to address my concerns, even wrote a separate email documenting what was found, why it happened, and how it had been corrected. Eric took the extra time and effort to make sure we would be happy with our new roof and we appreciate his effort. I am very pleased with the new roof and won’t hesitate to use and recommend Matthews Roofing in the future.

Description of Work
Roofing, tear off and new roof

09/05/2017

Julie S.

It went very well. Two days. Thy were in and out. They came back and went over the yard with an collecting system. I was very satisfied. I mentioned a couple of times we had an estimate four so years ago, and it was $10,000. Angie's List helped level the playing field a bit. We love them. We had them come back and get the nails. It was fine, as long as they did it.

Description of Work
They installed an complete new roof.

08/16/2017

Carl J.

Matthews' rep came by exactly at the time he had said he would, promptly found the probable cause, and the fix was made expertly in almost no time at all. Their rep was courteous, and very patient with me in explaining exactly why there was a problem and how the remedy would fix it. In this day and age of unscrupulous vendors, it is heartening to see one that values integrity so much - another vendor could have made it a much bigger problem. I would call them again in a heartbeat if I had an issue.

Description of Work
Matthews Roofing came promptly after I contacted them with a small roof leak.

08/01/2017

Jim D.

It could not have been better, They could not have been more professional. thorough, and conscientious for the entire project........ They even replaced a window lintel that was not discovered during the original quote without addition cost. My opinion is. that anyone looking for similar services, would be well advised to contact Matthews for a quote. It strikes me that doing so will be a decision that will have them as pleased as I was after the project is done......

Description of Work
Roof repair. parapet rebuild. and entire building tuck-pointed,,,,,, Three story - six unit building,

Category masonry, roofing, chimney repair

07/05/2017

Alison S.

I have lived in Chicago all my life so I grew up seeing Matthews Roofing signs and their bright orange trucks all over the place. When my roof needed to be repaired they were my first call. Tim Sweeton was assigned as my sales person and I couldn't be happier with the work he did. He expressed that he had more than 40 years in the business which made him easy to trust. He made the whole process stress free. I would completely recommend this company and Tim to anyone

Description of Work
My roof needed re-shingling

06/30/2017

Connie W.

The entire process from start to finish was OUTSTANDING! We were blessed to have a trusted, honest, reliable and high quality work/service from Bryan Langguth, Account Executive and Matthews Roofing Company. Matthews Roofing Company did an outstanding job on repairing our roofs. I would like to personally thank Bryan Langguth for his personable, authentic honest, reliable, supportive and patience in making sure we(Bethel Lutheran Church) got the Best Service and Work bar none!!!

Description of Work
Our church Bethel Lutheran Church located at 130 N Keeler needed a total roof repair for two flat roofs (church's office and school)

06/26/2017

Brian B.

The Matthews Roofing crew came out for an problem analysis and documented (with photos) all issues. After a thorough review of the work to be done, they scheduled the job, showed up at the scheduled time and worked efficiently & professionally to resolve all our issues at both of our buildings. We are now dry in all serviced areas.

Description of Work
Several roof leaks (some severe) in areas that required flashing fixes, patching, bitumen repair, sealant, tuckpointing an more.

Category masonry, roofing, skylights, roof cleaning

06/23/2017

Joel S.

The service was prompt, fast and professional

Description of Work
We needed repair on our roof.

06/23/2017

Susan A.

The job went extremely well. Joel and the crew were punctual, efficient and professional. Joel couldn't have been better to work with. Joel and team had the highest degree of professionalism in all ways: prompt, courteous, knew their job and did it well, kept the job site clean. Would recommend them to anyone without reservation.

Description of Work
Flat roof replacement