Ace Handyman Services Chicagoland

Founded 2004 • With Angi since May 2005

3021 W Belmont Ave

Chicago, IL 60618

We are taking additional precautions to protect our customers.

Update for COVID-19: We are open for business and have provided all of our craftsmen with protective masks to protect our staff and customers. Please feel free to reach out to learn more about our updated policies. Company background: We are one of Chicago's top-rated choices for professional handyman, home improvement and remodeling services with over 1,300 Angie's List Reviews. For over 15 years, we have been providing our customers with quality craftsmanship across all of their handyman, repair and remodeling projects -- both large and small -- inside and outside -- including: Bathrooms, Kitchens, Basements, Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing, Painting, Staining, Doors, Windows, Tiling, Flooring, Lighting, Drywall, Decks, Handyman and Remodeling....

4.3

handyman (949)electrician (321)plumbers (267)drywall (132)lighting (121)door installation (116)woodworking (87)ceiling fan installation (76)interior painting (57)home remodeling (47)tile installation (45)general contractors (28)

04/26/2022

Anja B.

Ace handyman is a great company. We needed our outdoor stairs repaired. Some of the threads were coming loose and the railing needed to be reinforced. Roger came out and fixed the stairs in a couple of hours. We will hire ace handyman in the future.

Description of Work
outdoor wooden stairs

Category decks

Work Completed On 04/11/2022

09/03/2021

Josie L.

They did a good job and I like to quality of the work.

Description of Work
They repaired the window frame at the attic.

Work Completed On 08/03/2021

01/29/2021

Karen D.

The repairs were done quickly and my garage looks much better. The cost was very reasonable.

Description of Work
garage siding repairs

Category contractors, handyman service, siding

Work Completed On 01/29/2021

01/28/2021

Morgan R.

We had such a great experience from the get-go. We received a call within minutes of submitting for a quote. Martha was delightful, and always responded to my (many) emails quickly - most of the time within twenty minutes or less. Harley was extremely thorough when giving us our in-person estimate, and even gave me some tips for a DIY project I was taking on myself. He also called when I had questions about how to best prep our butcher block counters and talked me through what to do. The installation went smoothly, everyone was friendly, professional, and on time, and the countertops look GORGEOUS. I was so impressed, not just with the work itself, but with the level of customer service. Ace really went above and beyond, and they will be out first call for our next project.

Description of Work
countertop installation, light fixture installation

Category countertops, electrician, handyman service, lighting

Work Completed On 01/28/2021

12/08/2020

Steve M.

Very fast, very prompt, and much less expensive than I expected. Furring boards over garage door, behind siding, had rotted due to unsealed installation. In an afternoon, everything replaced and sealed. Quick, prompt, courteous, and inexpensive. Definitely will hire again.

Description of Work
exterior garage work

Category contractors, handyman service

Work Completed On 12/14/2020

Thanks for the kind review. I'm glad we were able to "underpromise and overdeliver" on your project. We look forward to working with you again.

11/05/2020

Mary Ellen J.

Perfect Repair and the team did a great job

Description of Work
Stair Repair on 2 outside porches

Category contractors

Work Completed On 11/05/2020

Thanks for the kind review. We look forward to working with you again.

07/17/2020

Brian P.

120 linear feet of drywall flood cut, baseboards and door trim replaced from water damage

Description of Work
Terrible. And that’s putting it nicely. Moron the beginning of receiving my estimate, I knew they were quite a bit overpriced but was willing to go with them, assuming it would be done very professionally and seamless. I did NOT receive the itemized product list that I needed to purchase until 4:30pm, 2 1/2 days before the project was scheduled to begin. When I looked for the products, they were out of stock and the work could not be done. In addition, the company was not even furnishing their own drop cloths or cleanup materials. They said everything besides the drywall and the baseboards/trim was included during the walk through. Then when I get the product list that I’m supposed to order, there were an additional $200-$300 of items not included. Again, all stuff I asked about in the walk through. I now have had to scramble to find another company and everyone is booked. I have half of my house unusable for the foreseeable future due to their unprofessional and lax attitude. I would NOT ever recommend going with this company and I have NO IDEA how they have made it this far with this type of service.

Category drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 01/08/1970

We deeply regret the poor experience and outcome the customer had in working with us. To briefly recap the situation from our perspective: the client was sent a Labor Only estimate that stated the quantities of materials to be installed, with the assumption being that the client would purchase that quantity of materials. The project would also require additional materials for installation that we were going to purchased by us and provided at cost without any markup or additional charges. The cost of these items was not included in the Labor Only estimate the client received, reviewed, and accepted. Once the client accepted the estimate, we assumed, incorrectly, that they were all set to move forward with the client purchasing the quantity of materials shown in the estimate and us providing any other supplies needed for installation, at cost. Later, the client followed up requesting additional details on materials list. Once that request was made, an email was prepared outlining more specific materials to be used including materials we planned to provide at cost. Once that email was sent, the customer reviewed it and let us know that he thought certain items were already included in the total shown on the estimate he received. Once we realized there was a misunderstanding, we offered to include those materials at no additional cost. We also offered help find the materials that customer needed to purchase that were now out of stock. The customer declined that resolution.

05/29/2020

Jeremy G.

Ace Handyman Services Chicagoland did a fantastic job for me. I have them remove 2 gas, ventless fireplaces, and build a wall with a door. They also repaired and painted the walls behind fireplaces. The work was great, they got it done with in the budget, and completed the work on time. Very nice job and I strongly recommend going with Ace Handyman. Chicagoland. I'll certainly use them again for future work.

Description of Work
Demo and remove 2 gas ventless fireplaces, build a wall with a door, paint the new wall and wall behind thee old fireplaces.

Category contractors, drywall, fireplaces, doors

Work Completed On 05/04/2020

04/02/2020

Carrie R.

It went very well. It took longer than expected due to the extent of the rotten wood. They did a great job and were very professional.

Description of Work
They took out rotten wood around our window and reframed it.

Category contractors, drywall, replacement windows, woodworking

Work Completed On 04/02/2020

02/04/2020

JANE H.

I had a few little things (replace bulbs in overhead fluorescent light, find and remove things blocking cabinet lazy Susan, fasten piece of molding that had come off. I also had one bigger thing - a ceiling fan had died and needed to be replaced. Andre was just wonderful. He was there on time, helped me get the new fan out of my car and then helped me take out trash at the end. Everything went smoothly, he put down a drop cloth to catch screws and such-like odds and ends. Before leaving, he took the time to make sure I knew how to use the fan remote. I will definitely be keeping lists of things that need doing and will call when it's time.

Description of Work
replace ceiling, change fluorescent ceiling bulbs, fasten loose molding

Work Completed On 02/04/2020

Thanks for the kind review. I'm glad we were able to help you out.

01/25/2020

James S.

Handyman Matters was very friendly and supportive and got the job done efficiently. No complaints.

Description of Work
Toilet repairs

Work Completed On 01/14/2020

We are so grateful for your kind words, [Member Name Removed]! Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community.

01/15/2020

Alexandra H.

Fantastic! Reliable and prompt service. Jose is a great technician: knowledgeable, efficient, and professional. Thru customer service team is great as well. They call to reconfirm the appointment send you text notifications to keep track of the technician arrival status.

Description of Work
Nest CO and smoke detector installation

Category electrician, handyman service

Work Completed On 01/24/2020

Dear [Member Name Removed], thanks for sharing your feedback. We are so glad you like Jose’s work! We’ll pass along the kind words. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this amazing review.

01/14/2020

Bryce A.

From start to finish, these guys did a nice job. Martha was very helpful in putting together the rather long list of what we needed done and getting a written estimate sent out to me. The craftsman arrived on time, got the materials purchased and work done efficiently, and he cleaned up afterword. We will certainly hire them again, and we recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Partial bathroom remodel

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 01/13/2020

Dear [Member Name Removed], thanks for leaving us such a wonderful review. We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. Thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again.

01/14/2020

Pam N.

I've used Handyman Matters multiple times and continue to be impressed with both the ease of scheduling and the quality of work. Jose arrived on time, walked through the jobs I needed done, and confirmed costs and estimates before beginning. He quickly replaced an expired hard-wired smoke detector and two wall-mounted bathroom light fixtures, taking special care to ensure the fixtures were level. I'd also hoped to have two bathroom exhaust fans replaced. After opening up one of the bathroom ceilings, we discovered that the connections were hard-wired and would therefore require significant effort to extend and relocate, in addition to affecting existing crown molding. After showing me the situation in the ceiling and explaining what would be required to do what I'd asked, Jose walked through other options to reduce fan noise. We then went to Home Depot to purchase what was needed. Although the fall-back solution couldn't reduce the sound as much as I'd originally hoped, Jose helped me make the best decision possible without overinvesting in work that was a 'nice to have' as opposed to a 'have to have' which I greatly appreciate. We swapped out the motor assembly for a quieter one, and given the modular nature of the motor, when future upgrades are released, they can be easily retrofitted into these existing fans. I'd definitely use Jose again, should the need arise.

Description of Work
Replace wall-mounted bathroom light fixtures, replace expired wired smoke detector, and update existing bathroom exhaust fans

Category electrician, handyman service, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 01/10/2020

01/08/2020

allen H.

I don’t normally write reviews, but I am writing this so that no one else makes the mistake of hiring this company for their home. My project with this company was very basic, and something most people would even do on their own without hiring a professional. Yet, it ended in a broken front door and a lot of frustration for me. I am glad this wasn’t a larger and more complicated project, because I cannot imagine the disaster I would be in now if that were the case. Here is a breakdown of my experience, and I hope it helps you make a decision about the company you use for your project. My front door was never installed correctly, and that being the case there has been gaps around the door letting air into my house. Luckily, this is an easy fix, all I needed to do is get some weather stripping and seal the door. This is a project most people would do on their own and shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. Unfortunately I am not handy at all, so I called Handyman matters. They started off very professional and explaining the process and I was excited to get moving along. I then received my quote to put weather stripping on the door at an estimated time of 2 ½ hours. A little excessive but I agreed because they seemed nice, and sounded like they knew what they were doing. Unfortunately this was not the case. The employee arrived at my home and seemed confused about how he would accomplish this “difficult” task. He then went to the store which is down the block from me and spent an hour and a half on the clock searching for tools. When he returned he took over 4 hours adjusting and readjusting the weather stripping. The whole time he would mutter to himself words such as “no that’s not right, oops, ugh, why isn’t this working, now I have to do this again, what am I doing wrong, etc.” Finally he said he was finished and took off. Unfortunately we did not examine the door before he left, which is our fault for not doing. When we did examine it we noticed that the weather stripping did not achieve its goal, there was actually more space around our door than there originally was, and on top of that the door would no longer close properly. The company then wanted to charge me for a total of 4 ½ hours even though the estimate was only for 2 ½ hours. This goes against their websites price guarantees, but they do not care. Eventually they agreed to come and fix the door 2 weeks later. Not surprisingly the same guy showed up not knowing what he was doing and accomplished nothing. They then wanted to charge me for that visit as well. So now they expect me to pay over 6 ½ hours of work for a job that should take no longer than 30 minutes by a competent worker. Even if the job was actually completed they should respect their price guarantee, and their 1 year free fixes guarantee. This is besides for the fact that the job has still not been completed correctly and my door is actually worse off than before. They refused to fix the issue again which is against their policies, and wanted to charge me more than my estimated costs which is also against their policies. Luckily after fighting to keep them from charging me more they agreed to settle at the original estimated cost. I highly recommend finding another company for your project. You will be quite upset if you move forward with this company and will regret not listening to this review.

Description of Work
Weather stripping

Work Completed On 12/26/2019

Review for Ace Handyman Services Chicagoland  - 3021 W Belmont Ave, Chicago, IL - 38319806

Of course, we always strive to give customers a great experience and based on the review it's clear that didn't happen here. To give a brief recap from our perspective: we provided an estimate of 2.5 hours for the work as described to us by customer over the phone and ultimately that is all they were charged for. Once we arrived at the home, the project entailed more work than we initially estimated for. Although we did perform over six hours of labor, we heard the customer's concerns and only charged for 2.5 hours. Overall, we did what we could to satisfy the customer with both our service and our willingness to take a loss on the job.

12/19/2019

Richard J.

After initial look at problem by Paul he returned two days later with Steve and provided very professional work to save my ceiling at a very fair price.

Description of Work
Repairing and saving a 5ft sq plaster ceiling in my basement that was about to fall.

Category contractors, drywall, handyman service

Work Completed On 12/10/2019

Thank you so much for your kind words, [Member Name Removed]. We really appreciate you taking the time out to share your experience with us—and we agree, Paul and Steve are true gems to have on our team! We count ourselves lucky for customers like you. We look forward to working with you again in the future!

11/09/2019

Dianne K.

A gentleman came put took the information said it would probably be an hour's worth of work but would contact Mr with a complete estimate he left and I never heard from them again I guess it wasn't enough work for them to be botheted

Description of Work
I needed a small door covered to cover a hole

Work Completed On 11/09/2019

Not true. We took the time to travel to her home at our expense to review an exterior project. We actually came up with a solution that would save her a couple of hours of labor time from what she was originally thinking such that the work would only take an hour. The customer wanted to save some money by doing the shopping for materials but was not familiar with the pvc wood that we were recommending, so we said that we would email her the link to the item on the Home Depot site, and then she should call us back when she had bought the material and was ready to schedule. By accident, the link was sent to another customer's email, and we didn't notice that it did not go to her. The sad part here is that all she had to do was call us and tell us that she had not received an email and we would have figured it out, but she never called us after the visit to check up on it. We have two great Customer Service Reps who do a wonderful job, and a simple call to them would have solved this issue in a minute.

10/22/2019

Hannah L.

After an initial cancellation, Handyman Matters sent a wonderful professional.

Description of Work
Changing to LED dinners and installing fixture

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 10/08/2019

We are so grateful for your kind words. Thanks for sharing your review with us and the community, [Member Name Removed]!

09/05/2019

Richard B.

Their carpenter, DANIEL CARILLO, did an outstanding job.

Description of Work
Deck stairs replaced

Category decks

Work Completed On 09/04/2019

We are thrilled that you loved your experience; our staff will definitely be happy to read what you wrote. We put customer experience and satisfaction as our priority, and your review reaffirms the hard work we put in every day. So thanks for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again!

09/01/2019

Patrick Y.

These guys were a pain from the start, charged $300 to paint some baseboards and one small area. Not only that, the guy skipped fixing the closet door, and I had to pay them again to come back and fix it. What kind of handyman leaves without fixing the one broken thing he was hired to fix. Never hiring them again.

Description of Work
Broken closet door and painting

Work Completed On 07/27/2019

Not true. This customer was out-of-town and was working with us through his realtor. The realtor initially gave us a list of projects to do over the phone, and one item was to take a look at a bi-fold door. She also stated that she would not be on site to answer any questions. In these situations, we are very careful to get the list of projects approved in writing so that everyone knows what will be done. We emailed the initial list to the customer to approve. Then the realtor called back and gave us an updated list with some additional projects, and this list did not have the door on it. We told her the door was not on the new list, and she verified that she had taken it off. To be sure, we emailed the updated list without the door to the client for his approval, and he emailed his approval back. We have all of these emails in our files. The work included patching nail holes and dings in the walls throughout the unit, painting all the baseboards, painting an area over the fireplace, installing smoke alarm batteries, and shopping time for the materials, and all of this took 2.5 hours, which is pretty reasonable. Afterwards, when the realtor asked us to return to repair the door, we then did that work as well. Unfortunately, this customer was working through his realtor, and there must have been some miscommunication between them or perhaps the realtor had some other plan for the door. However, we try to always be very specific and detailed, and everything we were asked to do is backed up with emails and an actual approval from the customer of the final updated list we were given by his realtor.

08/05/2019

Michelle M.

Daniel from Handyman Matters Chicago did a great job! I had two overhead lights that I changed to newer light fixtures. The new fixtures were both LED and had no idea that meant I would need to change out the dimmable light switches to LED as well. Daniel quickly isolated the issue and fixed both lights. So pleased with how quickly I was able to schedule an appointment and with how well the service went! Would definitely recommend.

Description of Work
Electrical - changing switches to LED

Category electrician, handyman service, lighting

Work Completed On 07/31/2019

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your rating with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

07/18/2019

Heather S.

We need to remodel the wet wall in an apartment kitchen to add a stacking washer/dryer and replace cabinets & dishwasher to accommodate the new appliances. My first call was answered promptly and I was asked to send photos of the area needing work, which I did. We discussed possible appointment times to meet an estimator, but after week I was informed the job is too big for them, despite their description of handling remodeling projects "both big and small." I would say or our project is "medium" by any reasonable standard, having done a lot of remodeling projects for our 4-flat. I was also informed they have no licensed plumbers and I'd have to hire a plumber separately for our project. The company clearly advertises that they do plumbing work. It all felt extremely misleading. Super disappointing experience.

Description of Work
Kitchen cabinet and appliance replacement

Category handyman service, home remodeling