Astec Handyman Services

Founded 1998 • With Angi since October 2008

526 DAWSON ST

Waterloo, IA 50704

2 employees. Uses subs for labor and heating & a/c. Cost is determined by the job. Travel charges may apply. No service fees. No extra charge for after hours service. May contact through email.

08/28/2017

Lori L.

Good. There were some unexpected issues due to the door being too narrow for the slide track which was my fault but they were able to install it by getting different size screws. This doubled the price that I was quoted but they did a good job. It slides beautifully.

Description of Work
Installed a sliding barn door

Category handyman service, woodworking, doors

07/11/2017

Mary T.

Dave was great! He did the little jobs we needed done around the house in a timely and professional manner. We will be using him again.

Description of Work
Carpentry

Category handyman service, woodworking

12/15/2015

Dan I.

The big screen TV went fine. He did a poor job straightening the drywall. He was very rushed and didn't seem to care about it. I ended up straightening the drywall myself and got it perfectly straight after several days of measurements and work.

Description of Work
He tried to straighten my drywall. He also secured the big screen tv to the wall.

Category drywall, handyman service

11/02/2015

Angie T.

Problem # 1 Bedroom was a pink color before he painted the walls, when he finished there was a 1/2 inch of pink paint left unpainted where the ceiling and the walls meet, his excuse? The bid was for the walls only and no ceiling... part of that 1/2 inch line touched the ceiling. First thing you noticed when walking into the room was the 1/2 inch of pink paint, Being Disabled I had to hire someone to fix the pink problem. He could have easily fixed the issue but refused? took another painter 1/2 hour and it was a simple fix? Problem # 2 I have 3 doors leading into my kitchen area, one needed replaced, all 3 doors match in design, he hung a slab door which didn't match the other 2 doors.-- when he toured my home I explained and showed him the style of door that was needed.. Still haven't replaced the door.. Problem #3 Was to replace some door molding around a bedroom door, The wood work that frames all the wood in my home is a honey oak ( Solid wood ) He put up wood that was 3 shades lighter the original wood, I was gonna sand and stain the wood until I found out from a family member that the trim wasn't even wood but cheap PLASTIC. I gave him a chance to make it right with me and he refused. He worked for 8 hours, thats 65.00 dollars per hour, guess he thought he could take advantage of a single mother with a disability...

Description of Work
Paint Bedroom walls and closet, hang 2 interior doors and 1 storm door, Add new door frame to 2 interior doors

Category remodeling, interior painters, doors

10/13/2015

Glen R.

Worked fast and clean. Crawled up in attic to mount fan. Came in less than the quote.

Description of Work
Replaced bathroom fan in second floor bathroom.

Category electrician, handyman service, remodeling

12/13/2014

Marilyn B.

When they removed the old fan there was quite a mess with the insulation coming down from the ceiling. They install the new fan and even ran to the hardware store for an adapter. They were courteous and right on to the penny Dave had quoted us We will definitely have him back in the spring for some more fixer up work.

Description of Work
Dave installed a fan in a guest bath room. He brought a worker with and the job was done expertly They cleaned up after and did apologize for what they couldn't clean. They were both very professional.

Category electrician, handyman service

10/21/2014

Nathan D.

He bid the job promptly, scheduled a time to install the mailbox, and did a terrific job. Very satisfied with the results as well as the price. Would definitely use again in the future.

Description of Work
Installed a new mailbox.

09/03/2014

Cheryl D.

He arrived late but went right to work and was very professional. No small talk or excessive breaks. The steps look great and I have received compliments on them.

Description of Work
I had the old deck steps removed and new ones built.

06/18/2014

Stuart S.

Everything went AWESOME!!!!!!!

Description of Work
We have had Astec do many things in our home for the past 7 years, David has always done a wonderful job for us. He is neat, clean and efficient. We have had him do everything from fence in our back yard, to remodel both our bathrooms, put in a new floor, install fans, fix leaky pipes and repaired the sheet rock of the damage that was done by the pipes. I work with the public and I refer him to all my guests that are looking for help with anything.

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, remodeling

05/29/2014

Verl K.

Painted two rooms, stairway, entrance, and hallway. Three different colors Tile backsplash for two kitchen counters. Professional, polite, on time, and did what he said he would. I am extremely pleased as is my wife. If she's happy, well you know the rest. Would use Astec Handyman Services again.

Description of Work
Painting and tiling

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, interior painters

05/15/2014

Peggy S.

He's done a lot of service and I would recommend him. It was a reasonable price and he does good works. He stands behind the work that he does.

Description of Work
Astec Handyman Services provided me a handyman service and he gave me a quote. He did water leveling for me.

02/21/2014

Cathy K.

It looks great! We will use Dave's services again.

Description of Work
Dave did drywall separation repair.

Category drywall

04/06/2013

Mary G.

They are the best handyman service I have ever used. They are on time and stay until the job is completed. I will always use them from now on.

Description of Work
They installed two new toilets and repaired my roof and installed two new closet doors and repaired my garage entry door and repaired some dry wall in my basement.

03/26/2013

E J.

Very well. He had an initial meeting to discuss the project, then provided a cost. He reconfirmed the day before to verify time and he was 15 min early to meet. He cleaned the mess and followed up later. Excellent.

Description of Work
He provided a new sidewalk and cleaned my gutters

02/06/2013

Paige L.

I called and described the problem. Dave made an appointment to come out and give me an estimate. He was very professional and clearly explained what he was going to do to make the repair. He gave me a quote on the spot so we scheduled the repair. On the day he was scheduled to do the repairs, it was very snowy and windy (and schools were canceled,) so I wouldn't have been surprised if he wanted to reschedule, but he didn't balk a coming out. He showed up on time and got the work done. I checked in a few days later with my tenants to see if they were happy with the repairs and they were.

Description of Work
The ceiling texture in the bathroom of a rental property had peeled off right above the shower. I asked Dave to place some sort of plastic paneling up there so there would not be an issue with matching texture and he and his helper did an impeccable job. They also re-installed a fallen closet rack.

01/03/2013

Carol T.

Dave brought a worker with him and reviewed and explained the process before they begin. They were neat and precise in their work and I was very satisfied with the finished job. I would not hesitate to hire them again.

Description of Work
Dave installed ceiling tile and a corner round/molding in a small bathroom. He informed me that the tile installed needed to be painted, which I hadn't known before. I have scheduled the painting to be done in mid January.

Category handyman service, remodeling

12/28/2012

James R.

Dave came up and bid the job, stated when he would be able to start, they were here exactly when they said they would be and finished everything a speedy and very quality conscious manner

Description of Work
new siding on garage, new concrete in garage, and new garage doors with openers, they were very efficient, the price they charged is what they bid the job at, extremely pleased, will definitely use them again! Quality was also excellent!

Category drywall, electrician, handyman service, interior painters, doors

09/06/2012

Peggy S.

Dave arrived on time always. He was very professional, respectful. He know exactly how to do the project and did an excellent job! I was very impressed with his services. This was my first experience with Angieslist.

Description of Work
Framed out 2 windows, installed shower door, replaced ceiling tile, installed 2 vents in bathrooms, assembled end & coffee tables, some other small details, fixed siding & deck railing.

Category electrician, remodeling, doors

08/10/2012

Tammera B.

Dave was here last week to paint my bedroom wall and ceiling, and as with that day he did an amazing job today as well. On time, friendly and professional. I would hire him again in a heart beat. I have a newborn at home and just don't have the time to do this kind of stuff myself anymore.

Description of Work
Dave sanded and re- varnished the wood on the inside of some of my windows where moisture had got in. He also sanded and painted an outside post.

08/07/2012

Karyn R.

Today, David arrived at EXACTLY the time he indicated, we went over my list, and he started work right away. He was here from 8:15 - 1:15. I am more than pleased with David's work, professionalism, and pride in work. I will definitely refer him to my friends and will hire him, again, to help with other projects I have in find.

Description of Work
This was my first experience with a business used from Angie's List that I did not know. David arrived for our appointment on-time. After telling him what I wanted, he suggested an hourly rate vs just hauling and moving stuff. I was pleased with his estimate and hired him for the job. I needed boxes moved and put on shelves, a picture hung, caulking inside and outside, 25 + lights replaced around the outside of my house, many items thrown away (he brought trailer and hauled to dump), a memory taken out of an old photocopy machine, fix mailbox, and stuff moved to and from a garage.

08/01/2012

Tammera B.

I am probably one of the pickiest people when it comes to work done on my home, but Dave did a phenomenal job. He was speedy and the quality of work is great. I have him coming back to re-varnish around my windows.

Description of Work
Patched drywall and painted bedroom walls and ceiling.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters

07/10/2012

jill W.

They were extremely professional, quick, and no padding of the original estimate. Communication skills were excellent. They called us several times to let us know their timing for finishing up prior projects in order to work with us on our schedule. They were organized and neat. Will plan on using their services again.

Description of Work
We had them remove a large corner built in office unit from our family room and then reinstall it in our basement office. They also removed the french doors off of our refrigerator so that it could be brought through the front door of our house. They moved the refrigerator into the kitchen for us, reinstalled the doors and hooked up the water line.

Category handyman service, remodeling, doors

03/13/2012

Brendon K.

He did a good job, was quick, and he did the job as he described. He was very professional.

Description of Work
He put in some carpet, painted some rooms, and fixed some walls.

Category drywall, handyman service, interior painters

12/11/2011

pat H.

He did a very good job and we thought it was reasonably priced.

Description of Work
Installed two different storm doors on different dates.

Category handyman service, doors

12/08/2011

James R.

everything went as planned, very pleased with their work

Description of Work
they were extremely courteous, estimates were accurate, quality of their work was excellent, they were here when they said they would be, we are very pleased with their work and definitely would hire them again. we had them install several new doors with frames, a new vanity, and tile floor in our bathroom remodel project.

Category drywall, handyman service, remodeling, doors