Friend Landscaping

Founded 2001 • With Angi since January 2011

Friend Landscaping has been providing exceptional landscaping services to residential and commercial customers throughout the Des Moines area since 2001. Locally owned and operated, Friend Landscaping can take any lawn and turn it into a work of art. Owner is on most jobs. We understand that

lawn & landscaping (41)snow removal (19)hardscaping (12)mulch delivering (5)stone & gravel (4)tree service (3)lawn care (3)landscape lighting (1)drain pipe installation (3)handyman (2)dog fencing (1)well & water pump repair (1)

11/05/2020

Dwayne W.

No results because I live in NW Des Moines proper and the service provider is located in the SE section of Des Moines. The owner stated that we were out of his service area and I think that would make good business sense. I would not expect them to come that far for one small job. I have no problem with his decision!!!

Description of Work
Snow removal that would involve some hand shoveling and other vehicle plowing.

Category snow removal, dog fence

Work Completed On 10/30/2020

Thank you for the nice review. I hope you can find someone to do your snow. Please keep us in mind for landscaping service Thanks Bill

07/15/2020

Chandra B.

My basement got flooded couple of years ago due to heavy rains over july 4th weekend. It’s due to my home seller’s poor landscaping work. Bill worked on this project in April 2020, and fixed this grading issue around my window well. He also did a really nice landscaping work around it, installed drain tail, catch basins, grounded gutters, and adjusted grading to improve drainage, reseeded the area. Bill and his crew is very professional and they finished the project couple of days early. He kept us in the loop throughout the project, answered lot of questions and made this expensive project less stressful. I been wanting to see how his grading project is going to work during heavy rains. Finally yesterday evening we got some heavy rains in Ankeny and I could able see the project in action. My sump pump hardly ran during the rain. I didn’t see any rain water coming into my window well. Water was nicely flowed into the drain tail and towards street. I am happy and satisfied with Bill’s work. Bill and his crew is very thorough, professional and I would highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Grounded gutters, fixed grading and rain water drainage issues.

Category landscaping, lawn service, basement waterproofing, drain pipe

Work Completed On 04/06/2020

04/15/2020

Lorie W.

We moved into our new construction home in 2007. On June 30, 2018 there was torrential rain in the Des Moines metro, causing a lot of local flooding and flooded basements. This was the first of 3 occasions that summer when a small amount water worked its way up through a concrete seam in our basement floor. We contacted several local wet basement outfits to see what could be done to correct the problem. The general consensus from the majority of them was that we had more of a landscaping problem than a wet basement problem. One outfit even went as far as to say, "Take care of your landscaping and if that doesn't correct the problem, than call me". After a lot of research into Des Moines area landscapers, we chose Friend Landscaping for this project. They built up the grade around our house, installed underground gutters, built two small retaining walls and installed a French drain across the back of the house; all to force rain water away from the foundation of the house. In addition, they replaced all of the old landscaping with a clean, attractive layout and long-lasting materials. We've had several heavy downpours since the work was done in September 2018 and it is clear that the landscaping is working as designed and the water issue in our basement has not reoccurred. We highly recommend Friend Landscaping for anyone who has drainage issues around their house and would definitely hire him for future jobs. Bill kept us informed of the project time-line; and he and his crew always kept the jobsite clean and safe while the work was in progress.

Description of Work
The ground around the foundation of our house has settled. We are looking for someone to restore the grade from the foundation to the yard so that rainfall drains away from the house properly and correct some other issues that have developed with our existing landscaping.

Work Completed On 09/11/2019

09/23/2019

Joann D.

They never responded to the request for a quote

Description of Work
request for a quote

Work Completed On 09/23/2019

Didn’t realize this person tried to contact us since we don’t always get on the Angies list app. Email or a phone call is the best way to get a hold of us. This was a honest mistake and again phone call or email is always the best way to get a hold of a business not through a app. Have a good day Bill

06/11/2019

Barb M.

Friend Landscaping is the best landscaping EVER! I'm doing my happy dance right now. Tony did an awesome job today. He went beyond the call of duty! You can't beat the prices either.I will call them again when needed. Thanks Bill and Tony. It's always nice finding a new "FRIEND" :)

Description of Work
Tree trimming and planting a rose bush

Work Completed On 06/11/2019

06/06/2019

Kathy S.

The folks at Friend Landscaping did extensive work on an extremely shady, ¼-acre yard that had almost no grass, inappropriate plantings in the middle of the yard, and had been dug up for various repairs and remodeling. Work included tearing out old, rotted landscaping and plants, grading, adding to a retention wall, rock landscaping and extensive seeding. Bill Friend, the owner, is generally onsite throughout the project and is an absolutely, outstanding person with whom to work. He offered suggestions to hold costs down as well as ideas for problem areas. He is an excellent communicator, keeping us apprised of the project status at all times. He is also very conscientious about daily clean-up. Bill is a very kind man who takes pride in his work and cares about his customers. The change in our yard's appearance from messy, muddy and plant-cluttered to green and lush is nothing short of a miracle. I would not use anyone else for landscaping needs.

Description of Work
tearing out old, rotted landscaping and plants, grading, adding to a retention wall, adding rock landscaping and extensive seeding.

Category landscaping, lawn service, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Work Completed On 04/26/2019

02/22/2019

Gayle L.

I must compliment Bill for having done a such a great job this year clearing away the snow from our driveway, back and front porch stairs and front sidewalk. When he says it will be done, he means it. On one of the heavier snows, it was later that evening and he was at my house plowing and shoveling and wasn't going to quit until everyone had been taken care of. I am grateful I found his service.

Description of Work
Snow Removal

Work Completed On 02/18/2019

07/25/2018

susan B.

We called Bill asking for estimate to do landscaping geared toward keeping water away from foundation. He came out the very next day and was very knowledgeable and gave honest assessment. He told us we should first consult a basement waterproofing company to see if corrective measures needed to drainage system around house. He wouldn't recommend landscaping until that issue was assessed. He clearly had our best interests in mind rather than selling us services that may not solve the problem. Will definitely recontact Bill in future once we have assessment of foundation drainage. He was prompt, knowledgeable--and honest

Description of Work
assess for landscaping to prevent water entering lower level

Work Completed On 07/17/2018

06/21/2018

Joann D.

All my neighbors are impressed by the work completed. So far the grass is coming up nicely.

Description of Work
Seeded lawn

Work Completed On 06/11/2018

09/08/2017

William P.

Very well, the walls did what we hoped and Bill and his crew were great to work with. He had helpful suggestions and the work was done right. The walls look great and made mowing much easier. We recommend them. Bill was very responsive and the work was done at the cost quoted.

Description of Work
We had a retaining wall put in our back yard along with two others replacing wood with stone.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 08/15/2017

07/23/2017

David J.

Bill and his crew were very professional! They done wonderful work (In 100 degree heat) and cleaned up completely every day they were here! His prices were very affordable compared to their competitors.

Description of Work
Widening driveway, installing retaining wall to stop soil erosion.

Category concrete repair, landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 07/21/2017

Review for Friend Landscaping - SE 9th Ave, Des Moines, IA - 35882398

05/14/2017

Zach O.

Everything turned out even better than I hoped. Bill was excellent to work with and offered several suggestions to ensure I ended up happy with the end result. Great communication through the entire process, and he shows up when he says he will which is often rare when dealing with landscapers or even contractors in general. I would highly recommend.

Description of Work
Planted several trees, installed tree ring, cut down and hauled away a smallish dying tree.

Category landscaping, tree service

Work Completed On 05/12/2017

05/05/2017

Troy V.

Bill showed up on time and got to work right away. He and his worker removed and replaced my retaining wall in just a few days. The new timber retaining wall was built to last, with deadmen every four feet and with rock and a perforated pipe for water drainage. Before they left, they made sure to thoroughly clean the area. Throughout the project, Bill was happy to explain the details of the project. Bill was always easy to get in touch with even when I wasn't able to be at home. I would definitely recommend Bill to anyone who is looking for someone to handle a landscaping project.

Description of Work
I hired Bill to replace an approximately 40 foot timer retaining wall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Work Completed On 05/05/2017

Review for Friend Landscaping - SE 9th Ave, Des Moines, IA - 34976513

04/15/2017

Jon A.

Was great. Was done when we arrived home.

Description of Work
Needed rock brought in and spread in driveway.

Category pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 12/16/2015

09/07/2016

Sylvia P.

Bill was fantastic to work with. We had been trying to remove the concrete along the side of our house for almost nine months and couldn't get other contractors to respond to our calls, and the contractor we had lined up to do the work never followed through. Bill was able to get the work done quickly when we needed it, and did a great job. I would highly recommend Friend Landscaping for any landscaping needs - good quality and great customer service!

Description of Work
Concrete removal, replace with dirt and level.

Work Completed On 08/31/2016

07/18/2016

Terrence B.

In every instance in which I have dealt with Friend Landscaping and Bill Friend or his employees, they have been courtesy, professional and very prompt in responding to my needs. Bill recently came to my house the weekend before the 4th of July when my pond pumps stopped working. He knew my wife wanted the pond operating over the 4th of July weekend for our guests. Even though he had other work, he was able to come over within 24 hours of my call to assist. I am unable to make an evaluation of the price of Friend Landscaping services because I do not know of another company that is willing to come service my pond so I have no ability to make a price comparison. However, I feel the prices charged by Friend Landscaping are fair and I plan to continue using this company.

Description of Work
Friend Landscaping has taken care of my backyard pound for several years. This includes cleaning the pond and starting the two pond waterfall pumps each spring and removing the pumps in late fall. Friend Landscaping also has assisted me in trouble shooting pond issues and replacing broken water pumps.

Category landscaping, wells

Work Completed On 06/29/2016

04/06/2016

Gene R.

Highest marker for friend landscaping, they are friendly and professional. Their work in high quality. And he always condition it servicer are required.

Description of Work
Snow removal an needed throughout the winter.

Work Completed On 03/30/2016

Nicholas H.

Performed timely services Ann was dependable. Scratched sidewalk a little on 1st service.

Description of Work
Driveway & side walk snow removal.

Work Completed On 03/20/2016

Debra B.

They came every time it snowed more than a couple inches and did a great job of removing the snow for us. The owner called when it snowed less than 2 inches to ask whether or not we wanted them to come or not.

Description of Work
Snow removal from our driveway & sidewalks.

Work Completed On 03/21/2016

Robert J K.

Bob was on time and had the drive plowed and walk shoveled price very reasonable.

Description of Work
Snow plowing of driveway and cleared walkway to garage from back door.

Category landscaping, snow removal

Work Completed On 03/25/2016

04/01/2016

Lynda H.

Bill is very friendly. (Just like his company! ) called ahead prior to a potentially snowstorm to inform me potentially it could take 3 swipes to keep me drive clear to be sure & wanted the jobs done.

Description of Work
Driveway was plowed after 3" of a new fall.

Category hardscaping

Work Completed On 03/22/2016

03/29/2016

Megan T.

I am so glad I contacted him for my landscaping to-do list. He came right away to do an estimate and the amount was very reasonable. He let me know the day before when to expect him. When he came he got right to work and did a great job. He was quick and efficient and when I added a couple small things he didn't charge me any more. I was really impressed how clean he left everything too. He also talked me through what to do with the landscaping I still have. He was very friendly (no pun intended) and easy to work with!

Description of Work
Removed a bunch of landscaping, piled up edgers on a pallet for me to sell, removed the built-in benches from my deck, and took out a grown over garden.

Work Completed On 03/28/2016

02/26/2016

susan S.

On time - cleared driveway - very well done.

Description of Work
Shovel & remove snow.