Marcella's Appliance Center

Founded 1956 • With Angi since August 2006

4.4

560 Broadway

Schenectady, NY 12305

Marcella’s Appliance Center is a family-owned appliance store based in Schenectady, NY. Since 1957, we have served customers throughout the Capital Region and beyond with the area's best selection of home appliances, low prices, topnotch customer service and appliance service and repair. Our

08/30/2020

marsha K.

I needed a small room window air conditioner for my bedroom. I have lived in Schenectady county my whole life and long ago bought appliances at Marcella's so when they had a 4th of July sale, I went to Marcella's to purchase a small $150 window room air conditioner. When I got there, they told me they did not have anymore in stock but the salesman said he could sell me a bigger one if I wanted. Of course it was more expensive. I said no, I did not need or want a bigger one since I have a small bedroom and I have a bad back so I would like to purchase a small one. The salesman told me he could order one for me and it could be there for me to pick up in 2 weeks. I told him that would be fine and I paid him cash and took my receipt. My son was involved in a motorcycle accident and I forgot to check back with them. I received no call from them to remind me about it. A little more than a month later when things had settled down, I remembered to call them to find out about my air conditioner. The salesman told me that it was there and I could come and pick it up. I went to the store and the receptionist originally told me that they did not have it but then called down to the warehouse and it was there. So I drove to the warehouse to get my air conditioner. As soon as I got there, the man there told me that he didn't know why they sent me there because they did not have my air conditioner. A well dressed woman was there who the man called the "boss lady". She looked in the warehouse for my air conditioner, couldn't find it and called back over to the main store. I was sent back to the main store to speak to the manager. He came to speak to me and told me that they had given my air conditioner to someone else. He told me that he could order me another one. When I expressed my disappointment at how I was treated, he told me that he was only making $8.00 off of my sale. I then told him that I was building a new house this year and would need other things. He did not care. He offered to refund my cash and told me that he would order me a new air conditioner and have it delivered to my house even if he had to personally deliver it himself in his pick up truck. That was 3 weeks ago. I have not heard from him, the store or seen my air conditioner. Bottom line, since they were not making a large amount of money from me, they don't need my business. Marcella's has changed from 30 years ago. So disappointed. I love to support local businesses.

Description of Work
I needed to buy a small room air conditioner

12/12/2018

Anita S.

Went well. On time delivery and dishwasher is working well.

Description of Work
Purchased a dishwasher from Clifton Park store and had Marcella's. Install it.

02/12/2018

BERNADETTE P.

He said he couldn't move it it was too heavy for him and not enough space but he was going to order a part it's been over 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for the part I'm going to call them again and see if they're going to come with the part and what's going on

Description of Work
I bought a washer and dryer from Marcellus for some reason the washer is grinding it's only a year and 4 months old so I'm trying to find out why

Category appliance repair, appliance sales

Hello, and thank you for leaving a review. You're parts have arrived and service has reached out to let you know and schedule your service call. Please let us know if there is any thing else we may help with at this time. Have a great day and we hope to serve you again.

11/01/2017

Monica S.

The repairman arrived on time as scheduled, quickly assessed what was wrong and took care of it. While not a dishwasher repairman, he was able to re-attach the part much more easily than we could. Cost was very reasonable.

Description of Work
Our refrigerator "lost its cool" and we needed someone to assess and repair the problem. When talking to the scheduler we also mentioned a part on our dishwasher that had come off.

Category appliance repair

Thank you for the great review! We are always glad to hear from our customers and strive to provide the very best service possible. We look forward to serving you again and wish you a happy holiday season!

09/01/2017

THOMAS D.

My wife wanted a top load washing machine with agitator. After doing some research, Maytag has a very good rated top washer with a 4.7 cu ft. tub. I went to the Marcella website and found the washing machine my wife wanted at a competitive price. On August 26, we went to the store in Clifton Park, where we purchased a dish washer earlier this year) and two women sitting at their desk never acknowledged us. It was like we were not there. A few minutes later a man came out of the restroom and one women pointed to us. He came over and I said we would like to purchase this machine. He showed me the price and I said your website has a $150 lower price. He picked up a flyer and said it's not here, must be after rebate. I printed the page and showed it to him. He said this isn't correct, the washer goes for this higher price. I said Lowes and Home Depot show the same lower price. I said go to your website. He insisted it must be after rebate though nothing stated that. So, my wife and I left Marcella's, drove to Lowes and purchased the same washer Marcella had, but for far less. And they seem to want our business. The Maytag was delivered on Tuesday and performs well.

Description of Work
We needed to purchase a new washer. Our less than 3 year old Samsung washer had to be replaced. Need a washing machine that cleaned well, is quite and a top loader with agitator.

Category appliance sales

Hi [Member Name Removed], we are very sorry for the negative experience. We try extremely hard to please everyone. In this particular instance there was a model on the floor which looks like the model from the flyer. This model has different features however which is the result of the price difference referred to by the sales person. We are very sorry for the miscommunication on this and accept responsibility for the confusion. I was made aware that you recently had a nice phone conversation with Tina, the Clifton Park store manager and we will certainly make this up to you on your next purchase from Marcella's as she explained. Once again we apologize for the negative experience, and look forward to serving you again for your future appliance needs.

08/29/2017

Jeffery S.

The communication process through our rep, Karen Hart, was extremely poor. After making our initial selections late May, we were informed that some of the items might be going on sale for the 4th of July. Our rep asked us to contact her around that time to REMIND her to look into a sale price on our washer, dryer, and refrigerator. (First Red Flag) We did as asked and gave our credit card information and an approval to go ahead and order everything so we would have all of the items at our move-in date at the end of August. 4 days prior to our delivery, we were contacted to let us know our refrigerator (of which they had plenty in stock when we "ordered" it in July) was now on back order and wouldn't be available for at least a week. This was after receiving an email from Marcella's to confirm delivery of all items. We were further informed that their ordering system is basically first-come, first-serve and other people, even though they ordered their units after ours, took delivery sooner and therefore were the priority. The solution provided by Marcella's was to offer us their scratch'n dent floor model refrigerator at a $50 discount. To sum up the process, as a new home buyer, you have a lot of projects to manage and babysitting your appliance vendor just is something you shouldn't have to do. There are so many avenues to purchase appliances that it comes down to which company makes it the easiest to do business with. Marcella's did not. I can't recommend this company and it is disappointing as they are local vendor who is used by many builders.

Description of Work
Marcella's was utilized by our home builder for all of our included kitchen appliances, including a stove, microwave, and dishwasher. While were there, we decided to also purchase a washer and dryer unit and a refrigerator through Marcella's.

Category appliance sales

Hi Mr. [Member Name Removed], we sincerely apologize for your frustration and the miscommunication in this matter, as well as any inconvenience you may have accrued as a result. Customer satisfaction is something we take very seriously and when these instances do occur we want to make things right as much as we possibly can. Whirlpool had replaced the stainless steel refrigerator with smudge proof steel causing the back-order, and unfortunately we don't always get notified of this with sufficient notice from manufacturers. We apologize that you were caught in the middle of this transition and for any inconvenience. Hopefully the loaner was helpful and we have also provided you with a 4 year warranty on the refrigerator at no charge in addition to the 1 year manufacturer warranty. We hope that you enjoy your new appliances and will give us a second chance to serve you in the future for your appliance needs.

05/08/2017

Nancy S.

It went excellently as I knew it would. Have done business with Marcella's for over thirty years and have complete faith in them and the products they provide. They arrived when they said they would; they set up the new fridge efficiently, answered any questions I had with clarity, were courteous and pleasant. I wouldn't even consider buying appliances anywhere else.

Description of Work
Installation of new refrigerator.

01/18/2017

Philip A.

Very well. First call on 1/4/17 resulted in consult visit on 1/9/17 . Technician said parts would be ordered and we would get a call when in for second visit. That took place on 1/16/17. Repair was quick and complete. Communication was excellent with technician calling a half hour ahead of his arrival within the allotted time frame.

Description of Work
Replace bad bearing assembly in electric dryer. Unit remained serviceable but was making noise.

12/14/2016

Russell C.

They were very helpful! They were knowledgeable and they had the part I needed. They have some parts for older appliances.

Description of Work
I bought a part there.

Category small appliance repair

11/22/2016

John S.

Repairs completed after 2 visits, parts needed to be ordered

Description of Work
repair no flame condition on gas broiler

08/29/2016

Lee B.

The repairman was prompt and listened carefully to my description of the problems. He checked several parts of the freezer and refrigerator and caulked some gaps around the freezer. He answered all my questions and promised to check for a service notice on my model. I was impressed with his careful attention to solving the problem of frost in the freezer and a warm refrigerator.

Description of Work
Warranty repair on a new refrigerator purchased at another store

07/04/2016

John L.

It went very well. I am so very please with.this company they where recomended to me by OJ Appliances who I bought the stove plus he connected it to propane. This company had all the conversion kit items to change it over The service men was very knowledgeable in what had to be done changing values, adjusting flames, checking oven presure.I have to say they are an excellent company and I would recomend them to everyone who needs any stove or any appliance to be fixed.

Description of Work
Changed stove from propane to natral gas.Changed all connections, values,which where needed to do the conversion from propane to gas, checked to see there where no gas leaks

05/20/2016

Susan B.

Excellent service. More than accommodate me for special delivery requests. I would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
New appliance

04/12/2016

Linda T.

Everything was perfect. They helped me choose a microwave oven that fit my needs and at a competitive price. It was delivered and professionally installed within two days.

Description of Work
I purchased a microwave oven from Marcella,, and they delivered and installed it.

11/02/2015

DENISE H.

It went well. The process from purchasing the appliances to delivery was excellent.

Description of Work
We purchased a full freezer and full refrigerator from Marcella Appliance and am very pleased with not only their prices but also their sales team. The showroom has the most up-to-date appliances and their sales team is always very helpful. They deliver on time and their delivery staff is professional as well.

10/13/2015

Lynn D.

Sales staff was informative and took time to explain the different dishwashers and their features. Very pleased with installation. We purchased an extended warranty because of bad experiences with dishwashers in the past but so far no problems.

Description of Work
Sold a dishwasher for my house

07/22/2015

Jay V.

Marcella's uses their own delivery staff and trucks which I have found provides an edge over companies that outsource delivery. The staff, from salesmen to delivery, were all professional and courteous. Their pricing was on par with the big box stores. Supporting a local company, without paying a large penalty is a no brainer for me. Marcella's will be involved in any future appliance purchases I need to make.

Description of Work
Purchased a home and most of the appliances needed updating. Purchased washer, dryer, stove, microwave and refrigerator. All delivered with existing items removed.

06/10/2014

Susan S.

Very well, they are very cordial, and easy to work with. They even replaces an appliances 2 years after if broke down.

Description of Work
Purchased Appliances and had repairs done as well.

01/27/2014

jean S.

Fine. Would really lie to talk about purchase. The sales person was more interested in his commission. I suspect he unloaded show room items. He wasn't willing to negotiate on anything == problems w/ all appliances.

Description of Work
Fixed a new appliance.

01/10/2014

Ann Marie H.

I purchased a Jenn Air range from JOHN D MARCELLA AND SON APPLIANCES INC. They delivered the range on time, in excellent condition. I made one service call. The gentlemen came on time and fixed what needed fixing without charge. No cost was involved. I will purchase another product from them.

Description of Work
I used JOHN D MARCELLA AND SON APPLIANCES INC

01/07/2014

joyce B.

bought new washing machine and dryer. |Delivered on time, very courteous.

Description of Work
I used JOHN D MARCELLA AND SON APPLIANCES INC

12/15/2013

Jacquelyn S.

Installed a new Maytag washer. Driver arrived on time and installed washer. Driver was very professional. Installation performed very efficiently. Best washer I ever bought!

Description of Work
I contacted JOHN D MARCELLA APPLIANCES

10/29/2013

Harry A.

Sale of appliances and delivery and installation if frig and range

Description of Work
Appliance sales

10/07/2013

Bonnie E.

They were very patient in pointing out all the different features and differences across brands and models and helping me come to a decision. No pressure at all. John R. Marcella is excellent--lots of expertise and a pleasure to work with. The prices were very competitive.

Description of Work
They helped me select appliances for my new kitchen, and will be delivering and installing them.

10/07/2013

Marla B.

The sales person explained very well the differences between plasma and LED screens. He spent a lot of time answering questions and just letting me walk from one TV to the other as I considered what I wanted to do. There was no pushing to make a commitment to buy. I thought the prices were good, certainly competitive with other stores including big box stores. I decided overnight to purchase and the next day called the sales person and ordered over the phone the three TVS I wanted, paying with a credit card. The only problem I had with any of the transaction was the delivery. I was promised the TVs would be delivered to my house at 9 AM on delivery day. This was important to me because that was the same day Dish was being installed, starting at 7:45 AM, and Dish can't connect service if there are no TVs in the house. 9 o'clock came and went. 9:15 came and went. 9:30 came, which is when I called the store. The delivery truck had gotten a late start, but I was assured I was the first delivery. Normally I wouldn't care about a mere 30 minutes, but it was important that the TVs get here before the Dish rep was finished. I will use this store again in the near future when I buy a new dishwasher.

Description of Work
I purchased 3 flat screen plasma TVs from Marcella's.