John Carroll HEATING & COOLING

Founded 2004 • With Angi since March 2008

Small local HVAC company that puts quality and craftsmanship first, lower prices. I am a owner/operator so my overhead is low which keeps my prices down.

HVAC Companies (32)water heaters (4)air duct cleaning (2)
Scott S.
01/15/2023
I found John's name and contact information on the Irondequoit group on Facebook after several people had recommended him for HVAC services. After my furnace ignitor began to malfunction, I called him up and he was able to come over to look at the problem on the same day, and summarized my options to remedy the problem including parts, materials, labor costs, etc. As my boiler system is over 30 years old at this point, I opted to go with a brand new one. Knowing that my boiler may be nearing the end of its lifespan (and in the middle of winter) John scheduled himself for the work within a week's time. He was in my home all day and installed my new boiler along with the accompanying new piping, parts and fittings, including expansion tank, shut off valves, flu vents, etc. He was very professional, thorough, courteous, and cleaned up my basement and left it the way I found it. I would highly, highly recommend him to others.
Description of Work
Install new boiler.
daile C.
08/12/2020
Better than expected, this young man came my home in a timely manner, went right to work and fixed the problem with 20 minutes of arrival. Thanks John. Mr. Cox
Description of Work
Air Conditioning unit was not coming on
$100
Michael Z.
09/25/2019
Replaced two exposed ducts (four elbows) in the basement. Very reasonable price, excellent work. Very pleased.
Description of Work
Duct Replacement
John M.
11/19/2018
Great workmanship, clean after job completed, reasonably priced
Description of Work
Bringing furnace / water heater up to code / new vent to unheated basement area / service air conditioner and furnace
$300

Joanne C.
11/08/2017
$60
Kiya B.
10/23/2017
Awesome job! Quick fast and efficient.
Description of Work
AC check and refill
Mark S.
08/08/2017
The work was fine. The only issue was that he didn't show up to the first appointment due to some scheduling mix up and I had to call him to reschedule.
Description of Work
Needed annual furnace tune up.
Linda R.
07/11/2017
We were impressed that John began the job within a week of the date he predicted when he bid the job. He ran into a couple of plumbing problems due to the age of our house, but handled them, and completed the installation in two and a half days. The units appear to be working fine, and all debris was cleared away.
Description of Work
We had furnace, AC, and hot water heater installed.
$7,000
Lisa H.
05/31/2017
Perfect! Took the time to answer all questions and explain everything. Was always available when contacted. Work was completed in a neat matter and done as promised.
Description of Work
Brand new HVAC unit installed
Joe L.
05/22/2017
John was great he is a one man show and you can easily see he takes pride in his work. John had no problem working on our schedule and even worked through the weekend to get the job done as it was the only time my wife and I were available to be home. When he was done he walked us through the system and everything we needed to do to get the warranty and rebate squared away. I would highly recvomend John for any of your HVAC needs.
Description of Work
I first contacted John to have my AC replaced however after he came to my home and saw that my furnace was 18 years old we decided to replace both the furnace and AC to save money down the road and he gave us a great combination price.

PAUL S.
05/05/2017
Awesome. Came right over and checked it out.
Description of Work
Furnace was not operating.
Thomas M.
04/12/2017
I have always recommended John Carrol after he did installations in my home. A friend just asked me who installed my furnace, and I thought I should take the time to finally take action and give John the recommendation he deserves. John is very honest. I had two other companies come in to give me an estimate, but with John, you can tell he gives you an appraisal to inform you and help you make the best decision from options rather than to make more money for himself. I don't know how he does things now, but when he did the work for me I liked that he didn't just write up the job, he did the work himself. He spent a lot of time and he didn't rush the job. I feel he really tries to do high quality work and make you happy. I would never hesitate to call John Carrol again!
Description of Work
A water boiler for home heating and a new water heater for hot water supply..
$6,800

dave B.
03/27/2017
John came quickly and had us up and running in a couple of hours
Description of Work
inductor motor not working on furnace......... so no heat !

Casey B.
02/24/2017
Showed up well before estimated time! Dirty thermocoupler, diagnosed and fixed quickly.
Description of Work
Pilot light on boiler wouldn't light

James S.
12/01/2016
It was time to replace our 25 year old furnace and leaky A/C system. John provided a number of reasonably priced options and gave us plenty of time to make a decision. John was prompt, friendly and courteous. He installed the new furnace, A/C and a water heater himself in a timely manner. He did a first-class job and was conscientious in making sure everything was right. His workmanship was excellent. He answered all questions and made sure everything was cleaned up when the job was completed. We were very pleased with John's work and will continue having him provide maintenance and service in the future.
Description of Work
Furnace, A/C and water heater replacement.

Dennis C.
11/19/2016
Excellent work reasonable prices it could not have gone better.
Description of Work
Tankless water heater

David R.
08/18/2016
John Carroll was one of four people to give me an estimate for this job. Two quotes were from owner/operator type (small) businesses and two were from large companies with many employees etc. The two owner/operator bids were the lowest -- and they were actually more attentive and informative when they came out to bid on this job. John in particular was extremely knowledgeable and informative--and very low pressure. The other owner operator tried to upsell me/sell me more than I needed or wanted-- John listened to what I wanted and gave me some recommendations and I ended up getting a top notch Rheem 3 Ton Central Air Unit and an excellent 70,000 BTU Rheem Furnace at a great price. The other owner operator tried to sell me a cheap-no-name furnace and Central AC for more money than what John charged me for Rheem quality equipment. The larger companies prices were sky high and one of them tried to upsell me as well. I'm a landlord and have dealt with large HVAC companies before, and I can tell you that John Carroll's attention to detail and quality surpasses what I have received in the past from large HVAC companies. His assistant was very professional as well. I will hire John again in the future whenever I need central A/C for my rental properties--and I will recommend him to any friends or family who need a furnace or central A/C. Sometimes after a large purchase I have "buyer's remorse". After this purchase, I am extremely happy with the quality of the equipment and with the installation quality as well. A+++ Rating
Description of Work
Installed New Central Air Conditioning, New Furnace, and a Humidifier for the Furnace

Kirk B.
07/19/2016
The job was done great, he explained the work he was doing and he gave us ideas and tips on how the unit can be more efficient
Description of Work
He removed our old furnace and installed a new furnace with AC with outside condenser
$5,000
Hire Again?

[Member Name Removed] thank you for the review is there something I can do to improve my Professionalism and quality
Leigh G.
07/19/2016
The service was on time, professionally done, complete with clean up. They did all that was expected of them and more, and at a reasonable price. I would (and, have) highly recommended them to all my friends and family. It was a job well done.
Description of Work
My A/C unit (inside & outside) was replaced.
$2,000
Mark S.
12/01/2015
Outside of John forgetting the original appointment date everything else went very well. Would hire him again.
Description of Work
Complete inspection and vacuuming of furnace. Also replaced furnace filter.
$59
Hire Again?

I apologize for missing the appointment I was over run with Angies list deal responds and I failed to keep track properly.
Marcelle T.
07/16/2015
He has been out to the house to work on the repairs and you wouldn't even know he was there, That is how neat and organized he is. I cannot say enough good things about him.
Description of Work
My boiler went out during the winter on a Saturday. John came within15 minutes of my calling. It was too late because my pipes had already froze but he stayed and helped me winterize my house. He even plowed my drive before he left!!
Michelle S.
12/31/2014
Very honest, gave options to fix, completed as expected. We will see him in the summer for A/C servicing.
Description of Work
John updated and replaced our heating duct work and heat runs.
Pamela I.
07/06/2012
As far as I know my daughter was satisfied with John Carroll Heating and Cooling services and their prices were really reasonable.
Description of Work
My daughter used their services and they installed a new furnace and central air system in her home.
Cynthia K.
11/06/2010
John was extremely professional. After we purchased new furnace and air conditioning system, John installed them for us. He was prompt and courteous; he cleaned up thoroughly after himself. He walked us through the system and charged exactly what he quoted.
Description of Work
Installed new furnace and home air conditioning system
$900
Hire Again?

I would like to thank you for your business and it is my plessure to do business with customers like yourselfs.
stuart O.
03/27/2008
Excellent. I want to hire a "one man show" to do the work because I feel I get better craftsmanship that way. John isn't the greatest salesman, he didn't come with tons of brochures, etc. like another guy that also gave me an estimate. But he did fully explain the furnace options and what he would have to do and would like to do. And I was talking to the guy who was going to do the work so I know there wasn't going to be the "when are you going to do such and such and the installer replies that's not on my work order" things. I liked John's no pressure way of selling. As I expected the workmanship was excellent and professional. Whenever I needed to make a decision about something with the work. He gave me the options, told me what he thought was the best option and I usually went with his opinion.
Description of Work
Replaced my 1926 era furnace with a 95% efficient furnace. Added required ductwork, A/C, humidifier, and installed tankless hot water heater (I bought the water heater).
Category
heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair, air duct cleaning
$4,250
Hire Again?

I would like to thank you for your kind words. The member is right I am not a salesman but I do keep my word and I try to give the customer the same thing I would expect in my house. I would like to explain the work hours at the time. I just had my first child and I was giving my wife a break in the morning before I would start my day.

Phone