CORNERSTONE HOME & COMMERCIAL SERVICES

Founded 2006 • With Angi since April 2008

PO BOX 150655

Austin, TX 78715

Cornerstone Home & Commercial Services is an in home AC/Heating and Appliance service and repair company. Fernando Gonzalez is the Owner and Senior Technician, having almost 30 years experience in all phases of HVAC & appliance repair. We offer a 20 % discount on service repair invoice to all Angie's List members (before sales tax)....

11/09/2016

Neil L.

Excellent. Cornerstone was professional, friendly, and helpful. I would definitely hire them again.

Description of Work
Replace gas hose to dryer. Inspect dishwasher for source of leak.

Category handyman service,small appliance repair

10/01/2016

Mark O.

My recent air conditioning experience with Cornerstone Appliance and Fernando was so upsetting that I felt it necessary to write about a general business practice that is very deceptive. We have used Cornerstone in the past and Fernando’s claim has always been that he looks out for his customers and will not do unnecessary work, unlike larger established A/C companies. He also promises that he will credit back the cost of any repair against future work if necessary. This is appealing as who wouldn’t want to save money. Three months ago our A/C went out and we called Fernando. He said we needed a new blower motor, circuit board and other parts and charged us $1,500.00. Everything was fine until our A/C quit working a month ago. Fernando came out and claimed that our compressor was hit by either a power surge or lighting strike and that the repair would be even more costly or he could install a new A/C unit. He repeated his offer to credit the cost of the past repair on any future work, however I was becoming very suspicious of his explanation and called multiple A/C companies to come out for an evaluation. Fernando explained that there was no way for him to know that our compressor was about to quit, however the other A/C reps told me that a power surge or lighting strike didn’t damage our compressor, it was the age of our A/C unit. If Fernando properly tested our A/C unit he could have determined that our compressor was stressed and the probability of failure was high. And if he were candid he would have given me the option of paying for a very expensive short term repair or just get a new unit. This is similar to a honest car mechanic who tells a customer with an old car that the repair is going to cost more than the worth of the car and it’s probably better to just get another car. Fernando didn’t do this. At this point I already knew that I was not going to use Cornerstone’s services ever again, however I asked Fernando for a bid on an A/C replacement to see if he would be competitive with the other quotes I received. What he presented was shocking. Fernando’s bid for a comparable A/C unit was so ridiculously high that it was obvious he inflated it to more than cover the initial $1,500.00 repair. If I take Fernando by his word that there was no way for him to know that our compressor was going to fail, then in my mind he doesn’t have the skill or knowledge to do a proper evaluation. All the technicians I interviewed said that given the age and condition of our A/C unit, along with testing that would have indicated our compressor was in bad shape would not have recommended a costly short term repair. More importantly if Fernando did the testing, knew the compressor was bad and didn’t inform me says volumes about his integrity and honesty. Either way, I don’t associate with individuals that are not knowledgeable or trustworthy. This has been a very costly experience with Cornerstone as we ended up purchasing a new A/C unit from a reputable company. Hopefully you won’t get caught up in Fernando’s ruse.

Description of Work
Air conditioning repair.

06/30/2016

CHRIS H.

Fantastic experience - I left a message for Fernando and he promptly called back and we set the appointment. On the day of service, he called to let me know exactly when he'd be arriving. Fernando got to work immediately, fixed the problem, made sure that my floors were protected the whole time. I'll absolutely call him the next time we have a problem with a large appliance. Friendly, professional, and knowledgable.

Description of Work
Repaired KitchenAid refrigerator/freezer - clogged and frozen drain causing ice to form in bottom of freezer and water to pool on floor in front of freezer

06/28/2016

benjamin W.

The whole process went very smoothly and in a timely manner.

Description of Work
Fernando provided a complete assessment of my HVAC system. He fixed the problem and charged the system with the proper amount of refrigerant. He is a very friendly guy, who is also very professional and knowledgeable. He explained the the whole process in great detail and provided me with multiple options. His price was the lowest estimate that I received and he gave me a great warranty(If the repair does not last to your satisfaction for 1 year the cost of the repair will be applied toward a new system.)

06/06/2016

Jared L.

Great, super fast, very straightforward service. This was my first time using Angie's List and I am so grateful for the super quick turnaround and very friendly service. Thank you!!

Description of Work
Fernando unclogged a drain that had backed up and caused water to pool around the floor underneath the AC unit.

12/17/2014

Margaret M.

I was expecting a major repair. Fernando Gonzalez checked it out, and no repair was needed. He pointed out what the problem was. Just had to pay for the service visit. He is very methodical in determining what the problem is, then suggesting an appropriate fix (I've used him twice before). Knowledgeable about the appliances, HVAC systems he works on.

Description of Work
Checked out my washing machine when smoke came billowing out after a load.

Category appliance repair,heating & air conditioning/hvac

11/16/2014

Bennie E.

came when he said he would and repaired refrigerator

Description of Work
repaired refrigerator

10/29/2014

Aaron C.

Fernando, came out, and was very professional, attentive to our needs, and very friendly to our kids! The full story: We started our conversation through an email through their website, and got almost immediate response, scheduling Fernando to come out to examine our dishwasher, to evaluate the if the motor was worth replacing or if there was another culprit to the malfunctioning dishwasher. After the appointment was set up, I got a call from Fernando telling me he was 20 minutes away from our house. Once he arrived, he was professional, polite, and put my wife at ease with his manner. After looking at the dishwasher, he agreed it was the motor and estimated that the cost of the motor (~$200) and labor would probably cost more than a new dishwasher. If we have future needs for any appliance, we would not hesitate to contact Fernando or Cornerstone.

Description of Work
Technician came out to evaluate the motor in our dishwasher to determine if it was worth repairing or replacing.

04/11/2014

Jennifer G.

He determined that it wasn't the dishwasher-it was the switch, so I will hire an electrician or handyman to look at the switch. He has a 30-day guarantee, so if it is not the switch, he will come back out within 30 days. This was an extremely good experience. He was very knowledgeable about the product and about all products as we discussed some of my other appliances. I also had him look at a LG microwave while he was here and he educated me on why I was experiencing "arching." I would highly recommend him.

Description of Work
He is a Bosch authorized dealer. My Bosch dishwasher wouldn't turn on and I had checked the breaker box, so didn't think it was an electrical problem. I also had him look at a LG microwave while he was here and he educated me on why I was experiencing "arching."

Category appliance repair,handyman service

04/08/2014

Nathan L.

The issue recurred just a couple of days ago. Unsure if this would be covered under their warranty, I called them to inquire. Despite finding my name in their system for the service date in question, they insisted they had been to my house to work on my microwave. I assured them their must be a mistake in their records because there has never been a problem with our microwave. Despite my assurances and their inability to provide me with the details of this supposed repair of the microwave, they insisted they had never worked on the dishwasher and any discussion could not get past this point.

Description of Work
Approximately 1 year ago, Cornerstone Home and Commercial services performed a repair on our dishwasher.

Category appliance repair

We apologize that the customer feels this way, however would like to clarify a few items. We will confirm, yes that unfortunately, our dispatch rep had misread the history, and mistook the appliance repaired as a microwave, due to an error by the one who initially set up the work order back on 03/28/2013. What we had responded to the customer, however was that indeed we had the record of servicing the dishwasher, however did not show any repairs actually done, but rather a diagnosis that took place on 04/02/2013. Although a diagnosis of a faulty touch pad and computer board were made, no repairs were ever performed, with the tech notes indicating that the customer may purchase a new unit altogether given the cost for such repairs being a bit pricey. Our dispatch has since contacted the customer to apologize for their misreading of the work order (mistaking the repair for a microwave) and to also convey the above information. In addition to that, we offer and honor our warranties which are 30 days for labor / service call and 1 year for parts. Given the age of the last service visit (04/04/2013), it is well outside of the 30 day service call / labor warranty, therefore regardless of whether or not a repair was done, a service call charge would be incurred if we were to go back out and reinspect the unit. The issue here is that we have no record at all of any part being replaced. While do not intend to discredit this customer, and do apologize that they are experiencing trouble with their appliance, we cannot warranty something if we have no record of any actual repair. We likewise dispute the indicated charge of $150.00 as again, we have no record of any invoice from this customer for that amount, only the initial $75.00 which was paid by check on 04/04/2013. We encourage the customer to verify his records if he contends that we did in fact repair anything, by either presenting us with a paid receipt or invoice, which we email to our customers. The recent email sent from our dispatch on Tuesday, 04/08/2014 even offered the customer to contact our Owner / Sr. Technician, providing his personal mobile number. As of today, we have not heard anything back from this customer. We will accept the poor performance as far as conveying the information to this customer regarding his appliance during our first contact 04/08/2014, however kindly ask Angie's List to mediate here where appropriate regarding the other grades indicated.

Devoted Dryer Vent Cleaning

***I SPECIALIZE IN CLEANING DRYER VENTS AND DRYERS*** I am devoted to keeping you safe from fire hazards. I am quick, honest, and respectful. I'm experienced and as a business owner I am eager to server you. Hope to see you soon! -Andrew

Offers by Devoted Dryer Vent Cleaning on Angi
    Dryer Vent Wizard of Central Texas

Homeowners with clogged dryer vents typically experience longer drying cycles resulting in $18-$24 more per month in energy costs. Additionally, over 15,000 dryer fires occur each year, with failure to clean being the leading factor. The trained professionals at Dryer Vent Wizard specialize in cleaning, repairing, altering and installing dryer vent lines. It’s all we do, so we have the right knowledge, tools and techniques to do the job right. An informed decision is the best decision… download our Dryer Fire Warning Signs brochure (PDF below).

Offers by Dryer Vent Wizard of Central Texas on Angi
    Blue

Over 10 years in general building maintenance in the Austin Texas area From general cleaning appliance repair and installation repair and prevention of water leaks drainage bulb replacement

Check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover
    $10

SERVICE, SALES & REPAIR & INSTALLATION OF AC/HEATING SYSTEMS, HVAC, AIR CONDITIONER SERVICE, REPAIR & INSTALLATION OF WASHERS, DRYERS, DISHWASHERS, REFRIGERATORS, FREEZERS, COOKTOPS, RANGES, MICROWAVES, BUILT-IN OVENS, ICE MAKERS, COMPACTORS, DISPOSERS, WINDOW A/C UNITS. BRAND NAMES SUBZERO, WOLD, THERMADOR, BOSCH, ASKO, WHIRLPOOL, KITCHEN AID, GE MONOGRAM, MAYTAG, JENNAIR AND U-LINE.

WE DO NOT SERVICE APPLIANCES FROM THE FOLLOWING MANUFACTURERS: SAMSUNG, LG, HAIER, MARVEL, VIKING, FISHER PAYKEL AND MIELE APPLIANCES. We Apologize for the inconvenience.