A&J General Construction

Founded 2007 • With Angi since March 2014

A & J Construction is based in Brooklyn, specializing in construction management and general contracting. Since we've started, we've grown from a local organization serving the construction needs of our clients, to a corporation.A & J Construction has been building and remolding structures with quality workmanship and the highest standards. We are proud to renounce that we have earned a reputation of most skilled craftsmanship. At A & J Construction.we have talented specialist with widely diverse experience enable us to work effectively with any project team on all phases of construction, renovation to restoration. The A & J Construction team strives for maximum satisfaction at all times. At the forefront of our ever-changing industry, we are constantly exploring and developing new technologies and methods. Our innovation and creativity enable us to translate a client’s dream into reality while keeping a solid focus on affordability. At A & J Construction we begin our projects with Professionalism, honesty, integrity, and efficiency. ...

A Service Provider's profile image

+8 more images

3.5

4.3

3.7

3.9

3.8

tile installation (19)home remodeling (12)flooring (7)drywall (7)stucco (6)masonry (6)handyman (6)interior painting (5)stone & gravel (5)roofing (5)plumbers (5)decks & porches (4)

07/24/2019

Lisa C.

They were very good they were on time did there job always asked me if this is how I wanted it done I thought they were great I am hiring them to redue my back yard and driveway with bluestone and other jobs I need around my home

Description of Work
I had tiles fixed inside and outside my house

Work Completed On 07/24/2019

07/25/2016

Mary P.

I would have given them a F. The workers could have done a better job and not rushed through. The price was okay.

Description of Work
I used A & J General Construction.

Category handyman service

Work Completed On 11/26/2014

05/21/2015

Dorothy D.

A vandal tore the iron post from the stoop of my brownstone in Brooklyn. This company advertised themselves as stone masons. The job requires an iron worker to repair the base of the post so that a mason can reset it in the stoop. They have an iron worker on staff, but after many failed promises I finally gave up and requested a refund.

Description of Work
After many calls I finally gave up and got a refund. He never did the job.

Category remodeling, pavers, gravel

Work Completed On 05/18/2015

05/07/2015

Camille C.

After he started the job, which was small, he called his cousin. I was told he needed help. His cousin was a trainee. His cousin did one side of the shower and it was awful. I was told the bad work was on the side of the shower that was not very visible. Once the job was completed, as we approached the door, the worker said he wanted more money. My husband came to the door as the conversation became loud. He and his cousin finally left. The experience was not pleasant.

Description of Work
A & J was hired to caulk shower stall and regrout a few tiles. When worker arrived he said the job would cost more to cover cost of materials. When we spoke over the phone, nothing was said about any additional cost.The cost of caulk and grout was not stated or specified as $25-50 in advance. He did do the work, and less than a year later, the caulking has come undone.

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, remodeling, doors

Work Completed On 06/01/2014

04/13/2015

Diane D.

Decided to get other estimates.

Description of Work
$349 for a Mason for a Day

Category masonry

Work Completed On 04/13/2015

04/03/2015

Carol M.

What a joke. Mobarek Ullah came and looked at the job. I needed some touch up pointing on the upper portion of the building. He Sent me an email with his proposal. Asking for $4,400 hundred to grind and point 1,600 square feet. Which would cover the top 17.5 feet of the building. I called him and had him come to work out the finer points of the contract. He came with 2 other men and I insisted that they take another look at the work that needed to be done. He then came into the house and said he need an additional $300 for the insurance certificate. He also wanted a deposit for the work that was supposed to start on May 4th. (this was April 3). I gave him the check for $300 and told him he would get the deposit when he showed up to work. The next night he calls me and tells me he cannot warrantee the job for $4,400. He would need an additional $2,200. Why he couldn't tell me that while he was here, before he took my check, I don't know. Never had a problem with anyone from Angie's list before and Im at a loss as to how he has so many good reviews.

Description of Work
Started out at $4,400. Need an additional $300 for insurance certificate when he finally showed up. Left with the check, then called the next day and asked for an additional $2,200 to "warrantee" not guarantee the job.

Category masonry, remodeling

Work Completed On 04/03/2015

02/20/2015

Adam K.

He did the job; he didn't do anything good or bad-he could have done better or worse. He was satisfactory but not outstanding. You can only tell if he did a great job depending on how it holds up- does it start crumbling, does it starting cracking or does it keep up. It is not an instant, ' Oh wow, that's great!' He was very hard to get in touch with, and he wasn't that responsive to me- in getting back in touch with me.

Description of Work
He re-touched the grout caulking in the bathroom.

Work Completed On 06/30/2014

01/07/2015

Alex C.

They came in, set up protective covers to keep their work from messing up the bathroom and did a great job. Left things very clean and tidy and came back the next day to apply a second coat of sealant. Overall I was delighted with the prompt and professional service and would both use them again and recommend them to others

Description of Work
Removed and re-grouted our small tile shower floor and touched up some of the walls

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/26/2014

12/24/2014

Beverly D.

I didnt use the deal because it was hard to schedule an appointment and then when I finally was able to get through to the company, they advised me that they no longer honored this Angie's List Deal.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for 3 hours of kitchen or bathroom caulking and grout restoration.

Category home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/01/2014

11/01/2014

Debra R.

I PURCHASED $99 FOR 3 HOURS OF CAULKING FOR MY BATHROOM. I HAD TO WAIT A FEW MONTHS FOR MY DEVELOPMENT TO PUT IN NEW WINDOWS. I SPOKE TO AJ CONSTRUCTION AND EXPLAINED THAT TO THEM. I WAS TOLD NO PROBLEM, I HAD UNTIL THE END OF DECEMBER TO USE MY VOUCHER. WHEN I WAS READY I CALLED FOR AN APPOINTMENT, AND HE ASKED DID I BUY THE GROUTING. I THOUGHT THE GROUTING WAS PART OF THE DEAL, FOUND THAT IT WASN'T, AND AGREED HE WOULD PICK IT UP AND I WOULD PAY HIM FOR IT. I WAS TOLD TO CALL HIM ON A MONDAY, AND HE WOULD GIVE ME AN APPOINTMENT.MONDAY HE TOLD ME TO CALL THURSDAY MORNING AND HE WOULD LET ME KNOW WHAT TIME HE WOULD COME THAT DAY. I WAITED ALL DAY, AND WHEN I CALLED HIM IT WENT INTO VOICE MAIL AFTER ABOUT 8 RINGS. ON FRIDAY 10/31 HE ANSWERED HIS PHONE AND WANTED TO SEND ME A HANDYMAN IF I WOULD PAY HIM $50.00 CASH. I WAS TOLD I LIVED TOO FAR. HE IS IN BROOKLN! THE AD NEVER SAID BROOKLN ONLY. I AM IN EASTERN QUEENS. 4 MONTHS LATER HE TELLS ME I AM TOO FAR, IT WOULD COST $20.00 IN GAS.

Description of Work
NOTHING

Category ceramic tile, handyman service, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 10/31/2014

10/21/2014

C V.

I have made multiple attempts to schedule to no prevail. I am reaching out to Angie's List to have them assist.

Description of Work
I purchased a Big Deal to have my shower and bathtub tile regrouted by this company

Work Completed On 09/25/2014

10/15/2014

Julia L.

WHEN PEOPLE TALK ABOUT CONSTRUCTION NIGHTMARES THESE ARE THE PEOPLE THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. These people are unprofessional. Their work is terrible. They don't answer their phone. They KEPT INCREASING THE PRICE. Their names kept changing. Everyday a different name. Ulla Mobarek walked up and down in front of my house on the phone all day, or sat in the car on the phone AND DID NOT work. This guy should consider opening a dress shop or a ladies shoe store because he is a nancy with the pantsy. They are thieves, did not finish the job and refuse to give me my money back. The left my driveway with paving stones unfinished (a dangerous liability for a homeowner). They almost caused the house to catch on fire leaving open electrical wires and covering gas vents. They left plumbing unfinished. They flushed plastic down the toilet and deemed the bathroom inoperable that I had to pay another plumber $1,000 to unclog. My porch is unfinished. They were supposed to tear off and replace the exterior walls. They did one wall and left the back wall unfinished. They left the interior of my home a further disaster. Yeasin/Tipu/Bablu/Ullah/Mobarek...(their names kept changing daily) continuously/ repeatedly/annoyingly asked for more money than was agreed upon in the contract. They got disrespectful and inappropriate when I wouldn't give them the money. They were right in the middle of the work, AND WALKED OFF THE JOB because I would not give them more money. They wanted more money PLUS the final payment when the job was NOWHERE NEAR AND NOT done. THIS ARE THE TYPE OF PEOPLE THAT GIVE CONTRACTORS A HORRIBLE NAME. Our home was horribly damaged by Sandy. They took advantage because we needed the work done and we trusted them. They kept the money, walked off the job with only 35% of the job complete and left us hanging. We are filing legal action against them and BJ General Contracting (the name they used to use) to recover monies. Our first nightmare was Sandy. The next nightmare was hiring these people. All the reviews praising them must be written by their family and friends because these people are the most unprofessional people. If you hire these people, you are a fool. They ripped us off. We are beside ourselves with what they have done. Our home is still a damaged mess. We have children and a special needs son who had to go live with Grandma because of the conditions here. I am crying as I write this review. We pray and keep the faith, although it is hard sometimes.

Description of Work
They were SUPPOSED repair damaged home with interior/exterior damaged caused by Superstorm Sandy.

Category decks, electrician, plumbing, remodeling, deck cleaning, home remodeling, drain cleaning

Work Completed On 08/01/2014

Hi, I am form A&J General Construction. I heard some other person misused my company name that work for you. I am informing that my company didn't work for you. Sorry for miss understanding.

09/23/2014

Nancy T.

Faxed requirements two weeks ago and have not heard back.

Description of Work
Grout work.

Work Completed On 09/23/2014

08/27/2014

Sarah T.

.A & J General Construction were very professional with their job. They gave us a proposal and and outline of the job schedule and performed it according to that. After completion of the job they walked us all around the building and showed us the job they did. They used sidewalk sheds and used top level security for their workers and for the safety of the pedestrians. The job they did was at a very reasonable price and we are very happy with their job. I am looking forward to work with them in the future.

Description of Work
Roof Capping, Roof Gutter & Leader, Parapet Wall, Installation of New Roof, Grinding & Pointing, Waterproofing, Firescape Painting, Backyard New Deck, Replacement of Lentil Change in Front of Building, Step Job, Bathroom & Kitchen Remodeling, Sheetrock Installation & Painting, Interior work including wood flooring and bannister works.

Category decks, drywall, flooring contractor, gutter repair, hardwood floor, masonry, remodeling, deck cleaning, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters

Work Completed On 07/11/2014

08/27/2014

Adam P.

We are very happy with the work A & J General Construction did to our house. I was referred to them by a friend and when I took a quote from them, their prices were very reasonable compared to other contractors. They were very clean and neat with their work and I am very happy with them.

Description of Work
Building new stairs in front of the building. 100% Paint Removal and Power wash of the entire building. Grinding & Pointing. Work on Shingle Roof. New Fence Installation. Paving work in the driveway. Sidewalk work in the backyard. Cement Stucco near the building. Complete Interior Renovation. Basement renovation & waterproofing.

Category concrete repair, fencing, masonry, remodeling, roofing, basement waterproofing, pressure washing, stucco, house painters

Work Completed On 08/03/2014

08/17/2014

Lisa M.

Horrible. Contractor tried to double the price without before scheduling the service.

Work Completed On 06/26/2014

08/14/2014

Julie W.

Hired A&J General Construction to re-grout shower and to implement a tricky a/c instailation. They were punctual, and did a great job for a fair price. Installation of the A/C was a particularly complex job, and they stayed for most of the day to ensure that everything was installed correctly to our satisfaction. Would definitely use again!

Description of Work
grouting of shower, custom a/c installation

Work Completed On 08/13/2014

08/13/2014

Gail L.

The initial scheduling was problematic due to a prior job that ran over budgeted time. They arrived on time on the agreed upon day and the job was completed with professionalism and skill.

Description of Work
Regrouted two bathrooms in selected areas of wear.

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 08/12/2014

07/31/2014

Anne Marie M.

I recently joined Angie's List and I purchased an on-line deal of $99 for 3 hours of bathroom caulking & grout restoration. I never heard from A&J General Construction to schedule an appointment so therefore, I am requesting a refund in the amount of $99.00. Thank you.

Work Completed On 07/03/2014

07/24/2014

Piper H.

I could barely understand the vendor on the phone. I thought that we had scheduled a date. He didn't arrive or call on that date. The next day I received a voice mail saying he had been sick. I left a message to reschedule and never heard back.

Work Completed On 07/10/2014

07/22/2014

Jean H.

Their communication was not "up to snuff. " I am in the process of getting this Big Deal refunded.

Description of Work
I purchased the Big Deal for bathroom caulking and grout restoration.

Work Completed On 07/22/2014

07/18/2014

Karen B.

When I called the phone number of this company, a man answered without identifying himself or company. I told him I had purchased a Caulking/Grout job from Angie's List, which he made no attempt to recognize. I told him I needed grout work done. He told me to send a photo of work area, which I did through text. He said he'd call me back. I waited a few days and then called back. Another man answered, also not identifying himself or the company, and I explained how I had talked to a different fellow several days before (who he seemed to know) and that I had text a photo... And that I was hoping to get a call back to discuss my job. He said he'd pass on my message. I waited another 2 days at which time my gut told me to stop dealing with this kind of un- professionalism. Am very surprised they were part of the Angie's List Big Deal!

Work Completed On 06/27/2014