Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Get matched with top general contractors in Portland, ME
There are 20 highly-rated local general contractors.
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Portland
- Marshall's Modern HomesThis was a great project. They walked me through everything so I could make good choices, hired amazing specialists (electrician plumber etc) and the estimate was so detailed I never had to wonder. When unexpected things came up (some previously unknown rot and damage) I was shown everything and it was fixed properly not just hidden or patched over read less
- L.F. GRASS CUSTOM TILE INSTALLATIONSThe two brothers did an excellent job on our bathroom tile. They were right on time, worked efficiently, and were priced right. Even in the first call I had with them I knew I'd made a good choice. I'm going to be reaching out to them soon to do a much larger tiling project.
- A & D RenovationsThe job went very well. Workers were very professional and respectful. Job was so well done. I will definitely have more work for them!
- L.F. GRASS CUSTOM TILE INSTALLATIONSLloyd was very responsive. He answered my call immediately and I was able to schedule him within a week for my relatively small job. He and his partner showed up on time, were very professional and friendly. They worked fast and they did a great job. Beautiful work! I wish they'd cleaned up better after themselves but all in all I was extremely happy to have hired them and I would easily hire them again read less
- L.F. GRASS CUSTOM TILE INSTALLATIONSLloyd Grass and his brother Brad made an appt. to do the job within two weeks. This was surprising considering that all my recent experiences with contractors requires multiple calls and a hefty down payment on call one. They were polite, respectful, on time, professional and worked without interruption. There was no 2 days on the job here and 4 days there, while they worked on other jobs. It took less than seven days to complete the job and it looks BEAUTIFUL. We are already planning our next job together consisting of a back splash in the kitchen. I highly recommend them to everyone. They are also great guys read less
- L.F. GRASS CUSTOM TILE INSTALLATIONSGreat! He responded very quickly and was able to come out and provide a quote that week, started and finished the project the following week. Quote was very reasonable. I had already bought the tile, grout, and mastic and he provided suggestions for a trim to make it look more finished, which I highly appreciated. Very professional. Would recommend and hire again read less
- Casco Bay Roofing & RenovationsThe 8th Maine Regimental Association highly recommends Casco Bay Roofing for all your roofing needs. They did our Historic 14 bedroom building on Peaks Island for us in 2019. Owner Mike Norris quoted us a fair market price and finished our job on time with exceptional workmanship. His crew were courteous and neat while working in a safe and productive pace. This year (2020) we had their carpentry division reconstruct our wooden 2 story fire escape,seaside deck and tower stairway. The craftsmanship was impeccable. We highly recommend this top notch group of professionals for all your construction projects. 5 Stars for sur read less
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCWorking with Dave and his crew was awesome! Dave is very honest and does quality work. The site was always left clean at the end of the day. The work done was top notch! I highly recommend Dave Johnson!!
- CertaPro Painters of MaineI would stay away from this company. I was quoted $5000 to paint only certain sections of my house. Not the entire exterior. Just 2 sections that were in need of painting. The quote also included unnecessary "prep" work like power washing the wood siding and then what - painting over the wet wood? And charging extra to "prime" certain areas when the paint I requested is a paint/primer in one. List goes on and on. I'm in the industry. Please, get another quote before you throw away your hard earned money to these people read less
- Victor PopovVictor and his crew did a great job - they are great to work with on any kind of "redo" because they have good ideas about the best way to get things done. As one of the Popovs said, "It was easier to figure out what to do when I realized we were rebuilding the house from the inside out!" (They do a lot of new construction as well.) If you know exactly what you want, and exactly how you want it done, find someone who follows your instructions to a T. If you want to solve problems, get the Popovs read less
Contractors in Portland
- Business Description:We are a construction company that serves the mid-coast Maine area. We have a large range of what we are able to do. Our attention to detail is what sets us apart. We have some subcontractors that we use in order to make jobs move faster and save our clients money. We are a very honest company and stick to our word. We have a crew large enough to handle projects or size but not so large we can not help smaller projects. We bill according to the project and require a deposit of materials plus .. read lessRecent Review:It went incredible. He came in and did an estimate. What I had in my mind, he did it better. I have dogs and he totally understood that I love my dogs. He was great at telling me what I would and wouldn't need because of my dog. He fixed some things that the last person did wrong. He gave me all the information and let me make the decisions. He got here early and finished on time. We already have another project in the works. He is a very honest man read lessEllen C.
- Business Description:2013, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 Super Service Award Winner • 30+ Years Experience • Artisan Craftsmanship • Tile floors, custom built showers, back splashes, tub surrounds and more. Owner Present on ALL Job Sites • Fully Insured • Free Estimate read lessRecent Review:Lloyd and Brad were great - could not be more pleased. They were timely, neat, organized and focused, and the end result was perfect. They even threw in some added wit and fun commentary which made the inconvenience of not having access to the kitchen very tolerable. I would most definitely hire them again and highly recommend their services read lessKim F.
- Business Description:We are a full service general contractor that can provide complete oversight and completion of your project or just a partial part of it. I have over 30 years in the remodeling and new construction business with over 19 years in business as Dave johnson Building/ Remodeling. We take great pride in taking any size project from initial thought/design to completion with great care as to the home owners desires as well as the strucural integrity of the project.We will gather your ideas and often .. read lessRecent Review:Working with Dave and his crew was awesome! Dave is very honest and does quality work. The site was always left clean at the end of the day. The work done was top notch! I highly recommend Dave Johnson!!Jackie M.
- Business Description:Hazelwood Handyman is a full service handyman, remodeling and property management company. We will do anything from changing a lightbulb to large additions and remodels.Recent Review:Hazelwood Handyman was amazing. They were on time, did a great job and came in at the estimated price. One thin guy moved a frig that weighs at least 800 pds- it took 4 movers to put it in place when installed. I was amazed! Highly recommended read lessCharles M.
- Business Description:Our goal is to help you through the often complex remodeling process. We have a great deal of experience in detail orientated kitchen & bath installations, structural issues as well as water damage. Check out our website for some photos. We strive to meet customers within a week of your call and a price within a week of our initial meeting. We can be reached by email at Eric@LRHiggins.com or call us directly at 207.856.2448. read lessRecent Review:I don't give 5/5 stars on a review often, but I was extremely impressed with the work LR Higgins did on a water damage project on my house and would not hesitate to hire them again. Dean was our project manager and did an excellent job. We had damage internally from water that had seeped behind our siding which resulted in deck rot (because flashing wasn't previously applied correctly) and internal wall damage in the basement. The 3-man team that worked on the project was detail-oriented and focused on doing the job "right" rather than doing it quickly (which I greatly appreciated) but also did their best to make the exterior work blend and match the rest of the siding so it would not stand out like a sore thumb. The cost was reasonable for the work done and I felt like the work was high quality. I had unsuccessfully contacted 3 other companies for estimates before contacting LR Higgins and either wouldn't get my calls returned or they didn't show up for the estimate. Eric Higgins was very responsive via email, called me back after I left my first message about the issue, and I was in contact with him via email several times during the project. He always responded. I would definitely recommend this contractor group and use them again for work on my house read lessJulia M.
- Business Description:207 Crown is a local company serving southern Maine with quality and affordable finish work, doors/windows, wainscoting, crown molding, kitchen and bathroom remodeling.Recent Review:They were super professional and they get the job done quickly. Everything was really good.Amanda ❤️ T.
- Business Description:Maine Bathroom Remodeling offers complete bathroom renovations. We install complete water/mildew proof systems, install tile and completely bring your dreams to life.Recent Review:Although it took longer that expected, everything was on budget and I am absolutely delighted with their work.John B.
- Business Description:We are construction company specializing in residential work. We have extensive experience in all phases of residential construction and handyman services. The leadership group at PRH Contractors combines over 30+ years experience in the construction industry, from residential projects to commercial projects ranging in size and complexity. PRH Contractors is driven by our determination for customer satisfaction and our passion to build. We provide more value to our cli.. read lessRecent Review:Patrick is a man of his word. Even though his subcontractors let him down he was there to the end working long hours , weekends, what ever was needed to complete the job. He did some extra things we weren't expecting which were really nice touches. Willing to give suggestions which all seemed to be good. We looked at 4 different contractors and his price was the best(in a few cases by far), he stuck to the budget. Will hire him for another job!! read lessChuck S.
- Business Description:Raymond Marshall of Marshall's Modern Homes is a general contractor who has been in business for 20 years. Marshall's Modern Homes prides itself on not having to sub-contract much of our work out so that the work is completed in a timely fashion with less scheduling conflicts and enhanced quality of work. We can clear your lot, do the foundation work, frame and finish your new home; or we can remodel your existing home by adding on to it. We can fix that leaking roof and repair the siding too.. read lessRecent Review:This was a great project. They walked me through everything so I could make good choices, hired amazing specialists (electrician plumber etc) and the estimate was so detailed I never had to wonder. When unexpected things came up (some previously unknown rot and damage) I was shown everything and it was fixed properly not just hidden or patched over. read lesstricia t.
- Business Description:We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! Specializing in home remodeling (standard to custom), we guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! From remodels and home additions, to dekcs and garages, and everything in between, give us a call or click to schedule a free estimate today! read lessRecent Review:It was excellent. They did a wonderful job, they followed up with the work, I was very happy, I would recommend them and I would hire them again in the future.bONNIE L.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
There are so many options for paying contractors that it can be tricky to choose. Whether you choose cash, apps, or checks, there are ways to go about it safely and easily. From payment methods to payment terms, we’ve got your breakdown.
Find general contractors in
- South Portland
- Peaks Island
- Cape Elizabeth
- North Yarmouth
- Old Orchard Beach
- South Casco
- Hollis Center
general contractors in Portland
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- A & D Renovations38 Middle St
- A & H Improvements Inc.37 Kennedy Dr 2078904438
North Waterboro, Maine
- A Touch of Old English Finishing1 Angola Street
- A&A Home Improvment22 mountain view ave
- ABOUT HOME IMPROVEMENTPO Box 2634
South Portland, Maine
- Ace Drywall and remodeling146 west grand ave
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- ADS Tree service15 School Street
- AGC Construction8 Miller rd
- ALL SEASON BRICK & STONE146 TEDFORD RD
- Always Somethin' Home Improvement44 Graham St
- Andrukaitis-Mosher Builders LLC152 Lewiston Rd
- Anthony D'Agostino Custom House Painting25 Chenery St
- Auburn Frame to Finish55 Buckfield Rd
- Augustine Interiors108 Collinsbrook Rd.
- A & D Renovations
- Backshore Home Improvement520 Gray Rd.
- Bagala Wood & Window Work677 Main St
- Beane Construction & Property Maintenance12 Ebenezer Dr
- Beaulieu Builders56 Acorn Ridge Rd
- Beaulieu Construction250 Stackpole Rd
- BECKER CONSTRUCTION6 RUSSELL RD
West Poland, Maine
- Birchwood Builders, Inc.11 Carriage Rd.
Cumberland Foreside, Maine
- Blanche Builders Construction Co. 1239 Weeks Mills Rd
- Blue Diamond Carpentry152 howitt road
- Bob Guy's General Carpentry220 West Andrews Hill Road
- Bonafide Builders LLC591 Poland Road
- Bowley BuildersPo Box 261
- Bruce Fournier Construction22 Wood St
- By the Beach Painting and Carpentry3 Willow Creek Lane
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- Backshore Home Improvement
- C&C Construction35 Christopher Dr
- Cairn Building and Renovation121 Peter Vier Rd
- campbells custom carpentry247 east ave
- Casa Pro LLCPO Box 425
- Casco Bay Roofing & Renovations39 Sumac St
- Castonguay&Son24 Fortin Drive
- CertaPro Painters of Maine740 STROUDWATER ST
- Champagne Construction40 Richardson Street
- Charles Reale Painting Co48 S Skillings Rd
- CJ ServicesPO Box 142
- Clarke Painting, Inc.963 Main St.
- Coastal Property Restoration202 Keay Rd
- Coastal RenovatorsPO Box 2774
- Commercial Roofing Systems IncPO Box 110
- Community Home Services47 Sanford Rd
- Complete Carpentry1009 CAPE ROAD
- CONSTRUCTION CONNECTION17 Chestnut St 1
- Corporate Construction66 High St
- COWETTE CONSTRUCTION28 Vanderwerf Drive
West Bath, Maine
- Crown Roofing and Remodeling10 Rockameker Farm Ln
- C&C Construction
- D JOHNSON5500 Banwell Place
Raleigh, North Carolina
- d. a. kinsella Co7 Bridge St Ste 9
- Dana Larrabee Sr. General ContractingPO Box 721
- Darling and Sons ConstructionPO Box 1301
- Darrell Davis - RRC Inc6 Nonesuch Cove Road
- Darrin's Detailed Carpentry20 Silver Lake RD.
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INC17 LASKEY RD
- David Chartier Building and Remodeling Inc.121 phipps point rd
- David Randall Woodworking54 Middlebay Rd
- Davis & Son construction32 Libby rd
- Day Labor Solutions33 Meadowbrook Rd
- Delar General Contracting125 Harris Ave
- Dirigo Property Services LLC850 Plains Rd
- Dr Drywall LLC279 Hill St 2F
- Dube window cleaning and property management875 portland rd
- D JOHNSON
- E.L.B. Construction Inc.370 Bailey Hill Rd 479 Dallas Hill Rd, Rangeley Me 04970
- Earthlight Energy Solutions649 Deering Ridge Rd
East Waterboro, Maine
- East Shore Builders188 North Street
- EDS Woodworks75 Alfred Road
- Elevate Construction Inc1000 S Fairfield Drive Ste. 80
- ELIE BUILDING & REMODELING159 OLD WEBSTER RD
- Esposito Carpentry116 Mighty St
- Evan's Home Improvement81 Main St
- Everything Home LLC36 Union Wharf, 2nd Floor, Box 7
- Exciting Windows! by Verticals etc112 Lafayette Rd
North Hampton, New Hampshire
- E.L.B. Construction Inc.
- Faulkner Building Company119 Clarks Mills Rd
- Fine Blade Carpentry84 Pleasant Hill Rd
- FireFly Flooring and Finish Carpentry
- First Chair Carpentry LLC52 Weymouth St
- Fix-It Man61 Sherman St
- Foggs Painting & Construction52 Oak St
- Fortin Construction, Inc35 Markalyn St
- Faulkner Building Company
- Gary Ruel CarpentryP.O Box 1696
- GB Property Management38 Old South Freeport Rd
- Generation General Contractring387 Goodwin Mills Rd
- George Knights Painting & Drywall988 Meadow Rd
- Great East BuildersP.O. Box 79
- Greener property Maintenance18 Sawyer Brook Cir
South Portland, Maine
- Gary Ruel Carpentry
- Hampton Enterprise LLC254 W Lawrence Harris Hwy
- Handy Andy & Son404 Gray Rd.
- HandyMaine Home Services14 Dingley Ct
- Handyman Services Of Maine9 Charles Rd.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
- Harbor heights property group3 Scarborough Downs Rd
- Hardt's Construction477 Bowdoinham Rd
- HAZELWOOD HANDYMAN10 GRANITE HEIGHTS RD
- Higher Level Contracting Services, LLC.48 Dutton Hill Rd
- Home Conceptions IncPO Box 460
- Hometown Builders LLCP.O.Box 98
East Parsonsfield, Maine
- Hunter Property Management Services235 West St.
- Hampton Enterprise LLC
- IAN SMITH CUSTOM CARPENTRY321 BLANCHARD RD
Cumberland Center, Maine
- IAN SMITH CUSTOM CARPENTRY