Building a new home is thrilling for sure, but don’t let avoidable mistakes get in the way of hosting the perfect housewarming party. Learn about common mistakes owners make during the entire building process so you can look forward to move-in day.
Get matched with top home builders in Portland, ME
There are 17 highly-rated local home builders.
Recent Home Builder Reviews in Portland
- CHASE CUSTOM HOMES & FINANCE INCChase worked quickly and around my schedule. They communicated with me nearly everyday what was happening on site, and I couldn't have asked for a smoother process. Extremely happy with the end results.
- Marshall's Modern HomesThis was a great project. They walked me through everything so I could make good choices, hired amazing specialists (electrician plumber etc) and the estimate was so detailed I never had to wonder. When unexpected things came up (some previously unknown rot and damage) I was shown everything and it was fixed properly not just hidden or patched over
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCWorking with Dave and his crew was awesome! Dave is very honest and does quality work. The site was always left clean at the end of the day. The work done was top notch! I highly recommend Dave Johnson!!
- Fortin Construction, IncFortin Construction offers everything you need to build a new home in one stop. Budget and schedule were spot on. All materials used are name brand quality. Dedicated service guy for one year after completion is a very nice touch. Best of all Fortin was able to locate/position my home providing a bone-dry basement in an area which makes that almost impossible. Would highly recommend. Well done!
- Victor PopovVictor and his crew did a great job - they are great to work with on any kind of "redo" because they have good ideas about the best way to get things done. As one of the Popovs said, "It was easier to figure out what to do when I realized we were rebuilding the house from the inside out!" (They do a lot of new construction as well.) If you know exactly what you want, and exactly how you want it done, find someone who follows your instructions to a T. If you want to solve problems, get the Popovs
- A & H Improvements Inc.We hired Joe Fenderson of A&H Improvements Inc / AH Custom Builder Inc in Sept 2020. He was hired to install/replace 13 windows, 2 sliding doors, 1 front door, patch plywood sheathing, rewrap house, install siding, replace exterior trim, and install 12 ft by 38 ft deck. We paid our first payment to Joe and the project was scheduled to start November 2nd 2020. His crew started November 11th 2020 and worked on the project variously until February 22nd 2021. A&H completed the windows (1 leaks), sliders (1 broken frame), and front door installation, 65% of the sheathing replacement, and partially finished the interior window trim. His crew was a revolving door of carpenters. Each time a new carpenter came to the house they always had to correct mistakes the previous ones made, our front door was reinstalled 3 times. The crew damaged one of the sliders frames during the install. Which at first they denied responsibility and blamed it on the supplier of the door, when that failed they tried to say we damaged it during storage. Luckily, one of us was home the entire time and heard them break it. Joe agreed to replace the broken frame and stated he would subtract the cost out of the final payment. The laborers also wrongfully demo'd and trashed 3 windows interior trim that was not in the scope of the project. At this point in the project, we paid our first and second payment. We also had two change orders that were paid for. We made three attempts to contact Joe starting on February 22nd to coordinate a time frame for when the siding and deck would be installed. We received no communication until March 19th 2021 stating that he could not complete our project due to employee issues and could offer us a refund for the uncompleted work. We agreed on taking the refund and sent Joe a spreadsheet breaking down what we feel would be a fair refund based on work completed on March 23rd. Joe replied back on March 24th stating “The numbers seem to be in the ball park of what I was thinking but I will need to take a look at your file to compare your list to mine...tomorrow afternoon”. Joe came to collect trash and his tools from the house on March 25th. He again verbally agreed that the number we gave him was in the ball park of what he was thinking and that we would receive our refund in 1-2 days. No communication was received from Joe for 5 days, on April 1st we emailed him asking for an update. April 5th we emailed him again stating that we needed to have our refund by April 12th or we will have to escalate the situation. April 12th we received an email from Joe stating that he had family issues and that we would hear from him on April 13th. We have not had any communication with him since. We now have filed a formal complaint through the attorney general's office and are hoping that Joe will refund the money that we are owed so we can finish protecting the exterior of our house before we start to get mold and water damage. We are first-time home buyers and we had been saving up for this project for many years. To say we are upset is an understatement. We thought Joe was a good person when we hired him, but we were just hurt, devastated, and disappointed. I still hope that he will realize scamming people out of their hard earned money is not the way to make his
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCDave and his team did a great job finishing our basement and got the job done quickly. Dave had a lot of good ideas.
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCWorking with Dave and his crew was a dream. He quickly understood our vision and made it a reality. Finished on time and on budget. Had great suggestions and showed a lot of patience. We will use him for all our work and have already recommended him to a neighbor!
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCIt went very well. Dave participated early on in the process by offering advice and assuring that what we were planning would work within the structure of our home. Once the project started, Dave and his carpenter crew were on the job daily unless the plumber and electrician needed the space to do their work. There wasn't a day during the project that something wasn't being done to move the remodel along. I would compliment Dave on his attn to detail and the finishe carpentry is outstandin
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INCDave has been personally involved from the beginning of the remodeling project to the end. My parents needed a place in Maine that could comfortably house them during their golden years. Dave was the builder we all chose. His subcontractors are all excellent. without going into the multiple details of our interactions with him, when the rest of the house gets remodeled we will be calling Dave and his band of merry men. Honestly we couldn't be happier. The high scores in the ranking section he and his his subcontractors earned. To be honest the addition looks better than the main house
House Builders in Portland
- Business Description:We are a full service general contractor that can provide complete oversight and completion of your project or just a partial part of it. I have over 30 years in the remodeling and new construction business with over 19 years in business as Dave johnson Building/ Remodeling. We take great pride in taking any size project from initial thought/design to completion with great care as to the home owners desires as well as the strucural integrity of the project.We will gather your ideas and often ..Recent Review:Working with Dave and his crew was awesome! Dave is very honest and does quality work. The site was always left clean at the end of the day. The work done was top notch! I highly recommend Dave Johnson!!Jackie M.
- Business Description:Call us today for all your remodeling needs!
- Business Description:Raymond Marshall of Marshall's Modern Homes is a general contractor who has been in business for 20 years. Marshall's Modern Homes prides itself on not having to sub-contract much of our work out so that the work is completed in a timely fashion with less scheduling conflicts and enhanced quality of work. We can clear your lot, do the foundation work, frame and finish your new home; or we can remodel your existing home by adding on to it. We can fix that leaking roof and repair the siding too..Recent Review:This was a great project. They walked me through everything so I could make good choices, hired amazing specialists (electrician plumber etc) and the estimate was so detailed I never had to wonder. When unexpected things came up (some previously unknown rot and damage) I was shown everything and it was fixed properly not just hidden or patched over.tricia t.
- Business Description:We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! Specializing in Remodeling Services, we guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. We pride ourselves on the quality work we provide, while delivering great customer service! Call or click to schedule a free estimate todayRecent Review:Great. Very professional, punctual, on time, and easy to contact. Flexible.Nick L.
- Business Description:We are construction company specializing in residential work. We have extensive experience in all phases of residential construction and handyman services. The leadership group at PRH Contractors combines over 30+ years experience in the construction industry, from residential projects to commercial projects ranging in size and complexity. PRH Contractors is driven by our determination for customer satisfaction and our passion to build. We provide more value to our cli..Recent Review:Patrick is a man of his word. Even though his subcontractors let him down he was there to the end working long hours , weekends, what ever was needed to complete the job. He did some extra things we weren't expecting which were really nice touches. Willing to give suggestions which all seemed to be good. We looked at 4 different contractors and his price was the best(in a few cases by far), he stuck to the budget. Will hire him for another job!!Chuck S.
- Business Description:Our goal is to help you through the often complex remodeling process. We have a great deal of experience in detail orientated kitchen & bath installations, structural issues as well as water damage. Check out our website for some photos. We strive to meet customers within a week of your call and a price within a week of our initial meeting. We can be reached by email at Eric@LRHiggins.com or call us directly at 207.856.2448.Recent Review:We were absolutely thrilled with the work L.R. Higgins did on our home. They did two projects for us -- remodeling our kitchen and replacing the siding -- and both were done to an exceptional standard. Our house is 100 years old, so remodeling the kitchen involved some unexpected problem solving. Our initial design had to be reworked to account for the fact that the original walls were not up to code and for some other surprise quirks that were revealed when the space was gutted. What we ended up with is actually even better than the original design and is exactly what we wanted. We are so happy with the workmanship and quality, and Eric was incredibly responsive throughout the process. The same goes for the siding. We had someone come recently to do other work on our house and they actually commented to us about the quality of the siding work. Plus, everyone at L.R. Higgins with whom we interacted and all of their subcontractors were incredibly professional and courteousSara C.
- Business Description:Then Window Source is the perfect destination for you. We offer the highest-quality replacement windows available at factory-direct pricing. We guarantee our customers get a premium, energy-efficient product for a fraction of the cost of our competitors’ models. No need to shop at the Big Box stores ever again. That’s the Window Source advantage. Need more than just windows? We also specialize in sliding doors, patio doors, and vinyl siding. Just fill out the quick form below and we’ll have ..Recent Review:Craig the installer did a great job. I was pleasantly surprised by how sturdy the windows were - i picked window source's mid-tier level window. The day after my windows were installed the first storm of the season (snow, rain & ice) arrived and the windows completely performed as they should. I never realized what in eyesore my old windows were until i had these installed. i cant even tell how the wrapping on the windows improved the look of my house! I would definitely recommend window source & i did to a family member. Also, their quote process was quick, 1/2 hour to get a price. Window Source wasn't on my radar while i was requesting quotes on angie's list but they came up as a recommendation & i can't tell you how glad i am I hired Window Source to install all my new windows. A friend had windows installed by a popular chain & Window Source beat the quality and look hands down! If you are like me nervous about hiring a contractor you really know nothing about - i am here to tell you will be happy you hired Window Source. Thank you window source for making my 55 year old house look new!!Jane D.
- Business Description:Hazelwood Handyman is a full service handyman, remodeling and property management company. We will do anything from changing a lightbulb to large additions and remodels.Recent Review:Hazelwood Handyman was amazing. They were on time, did a great job and came in at the estimated price. One thin guy moved a frig that weighs at least 800 pds- it took 4 movers to put it in place when installed. I was amazed! Highly recommendedCharles M.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and ScreensRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:Here at HBC we are committed in providing our customers with an outstanding service. This company may be young, but do not let that fool you. We have many years of experience in the residential construction industry. Our projects are always priced at a fair and reasonable price. All of our work is backed by our 1 year free of structual damage warrantyRecent Review:Jason has done several projects for us over multiple years. He has repeatedly done top-notch work for us at a fair price. He is very thorough, meticulous, and explains his approach to the project thoroughly before undertaking the work. I would recommend him very highlyRon G.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful home builder articles
What is it about chalet-style homes that feel so inviting and cozy? This article features a history of chalet-style homes, outlines its benefits, details key design elements, and shows how to incorporate a chalet-style design in your home.
How much does it cost to demolish a house? Average prices for demolition vary based on home size, materials, and location. A partial demolition can make a project more affordable than a full house demolition. Keep reading for more.
Find home builders in
- South Portland
- Peaks Island
- Cape Elizabeth
- North Yarmouth
- Old Orchard Beach
- South Casco
- Hollis Center
home builders in Portland
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 1treehouse3204 Twinberry Cv
- A & D Renovations38 Middle St
- A & H Improvements Inc.37 Kennedy Dr 2078904438
North Waterboro, Maine
- A Cromwell & sons424 Montsweag Rd.
- A Jack of Trades615 Pond Rd
- A-La-Carte Build, Consulting142 High St
- Above & Beyond LLC524 Lincoln St
- Ace Drywall and remodeling146 west grand ave
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
- Advanced Replacement Windows221 Virginia St
- ALL SEASON BRICK & STONE146 TEDFORD RD
- All Season Home Improvement Co823 Church Hill Rd
- Andrukaitis-Mosher Builders LLC152 Lewiston Rd
- Anything Goes Construction383 Cape Rd
- Ascension Homes92 Lamb St
- Atlantic Home ImprovementsPO Box 654
- Aube's Home Improvement44 Towle St
- Augustine Interiors108 Collinsbrook Rd.
- A & D Renovations
- Backshore Home Improvement520 Gray Rd.
- BBI BUILDERS INC4 BRICKYARD COVE RD
- BBI Construction Services, Inc45 Pleasant St
- Beaulieu Builders56 Acorn Ridge Rd
- Beaulieu Construction250 Stackpole Rd
- BECKER CONSTRUCTION6 RUSSELL RD
West Poland, Maine
- Birchwood Builders, Inc.11 Carriage Rd.
Cumberland Foreside, Maine
- Blanche Builders Construction Co. 1239 Weeks Mills Rd
- Bob Guy's General Carpentry220 West Andrews Hill Road
- Bonafide Builders LLC591 Poland Road
- Bowley BuildersPo Box 261
- Brady Construction Inc.PO Box 451
- BRIDGES ELECTRIC INC69 CIDER HILL RD
- Backshore Home Improvement
- Cairn Building and Renovation121 Peter Vier Rd
- campbells custom carpentry247 east ave
- CAPE ELIZ CRAFTS SHORELINE DESIGN STUDIO LLC11 Eastfield Rd.
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
- Castonguay&Son24 Fortin Drive
- Champagne Construction40 Richardson Street
- CHASE CUSTOM HOMES & FINANCE INC290 Bridgton Rd Ste 2
- Chretien Construction Inc35 Berry Rd
- CJ ServicesPO Box 142
- Cleve WorsterPo Box 1716
- Coastal Build and Design, LLC202 Irving Rd
- Coastal Property Restoration202 Keay Rd
- Coastal RenovatorsPO Box 2774
- COMEAU & SONS INC584 MAIN ST
- Commercial Roofing Systems IncPO Box 110
- CONSTRUCTION CONNECTION17 Chestnut St 1
- Corporate Construction66 High St
- COWETTE CONSTRUCTION28 Vanderwerf Drive
West Bath, Maine
- Custom Built Homes of Maine , LLC123 Christopher Rd.
North Yarmouth, Maine
- Custom Trades Construction66 Sherman St
- Cairn Building and Renovation
- D JOHNSON5500 Banwell Place
Raleigh, North Carolina
- d. a. kinsella Co7 Bridge St Ste 9
- Dana Larrabee Sr. General ContractingPO Box 721
- Darling and Sons ConstructionPO Box 1301
- Darrin's Detailed Carpentry20 Silver Lake RD.
- Dave Cantara Construction Company131 Beachwood Ave
- DAVE JOHNSON BUILDING & REMODELING INC17 LASKEY RD
- DAVE'S CONSTRUCTION & REPAIR39 SOUTH ST
- David Chartier Building and Remodeling Inc.121 phipps point rd
- David Randall Woodworking54 Middlebay Rd
- Davis & Son construction32 Libby rd
- Day Labor Solutions33 Meadowbrook Rd
- Dirigo Property Services LLC850 Plains Rd
- DMS Design LLC28 Willowdale Rd.
- DONALD F MORSE & SONSPO Box 505
- Douston Construction Inc754 Alfred Rd Rte 111
- Dynabilt TechnologiesPO Box 726
- D JOHNSON
- E.L.B. Construction Inc.370 Bailey Hill Rd 479 Dallas Hill Rd, Rangeley Me 04970
- Earthlight Energy Solutions649 Deering Ridge Rd
East Waterboro, Maine
- East Shore Builders188 North Street
- ELIE BUILDING & REMODELING159 OLD WEBSTER RD
- Environmental Testing & Research Laboratories, Inc60 Elm Hill Ave. Suite 1
- Everything Home LLC36 Union Wharf, 2nd Floor, Box 7
- Exl Homes LLC.P.O. Box 992
- E.L.B. Construction Inc.
- Faulkner Building Company119 Clarks Mills Rd
- FINE LINES CONSTRUCTIONP.O. Box 445
- First Chair Carpentry LLC52 Weymouth St
- Foggs Painting & Construction52 Oak St
- Fortin Construction, Inc35 Markalyn St
- Fred King Builders, Inc270 Chopps Cross Rd
- Fresh Air Ventilation Systems LLC155 Spring St
- FROHMILLER CONSTRUCTION INC123 STATE RD
- Faulkner Building Company
- G&C Builders20 Lafayette St
- Garage Door CompanyPO BOX 151
- GARY GILLIS BUILDERPO BOX 355
- Gary Ruel CarpentryP.O Box 1696
- Generation General Contractring387 Goodwin Mills Rd
- Grace North LLC147 Summer St
- Great East BuildersP.O. Box 79
- GULF OF MAINE CUSTOM HOMES INC87 BAKER RD
- G&C Builders
- Harbor heights property group3 Scarborough Downs Rd
- Harwood Construction, LLC140 Pleasant St
- HAZELWOOD HANDYMAN10 GRANITE HEIGHTS RD
- Higher Level Contracting Services, LLC.48 Dutton Hill Rd
- Holden Building & Carpentry75 Olympia St
- Home Conceptions IncPO Box 460
- Home Construction, Inc.842 Roosevelt Trail
- HomeExperts of Maine66 Industrial Park Road
- Hometown Builders LLCP.O.Box 98
East Parsonsfield, Maine
- Harbor heights property group
- I S Hernandez Design Services Inc111 Baker St
West Roxbury, Massachusetts
- I S Hernandez Design Services Inc