If you want to knock down a wall to open up your living space, you’ll need to understand the costs involved. Follow our guide to hiring a professional structural engineer to remove a load-bearing or non-load-bearing wall.
Get matched with top structural engineers in San Jose, CA
There are 13 highly-rated local structural engineers.
Matching on Angi
Recent Structural Engineering Reviews in San Jose
- SOD Home GroupSOD Home Group completed a major remodel and home addition project for us. We interviewed a few other contractors, but SOD stood out because of their fair pricing, confidence and professionalism. We interviewed two other home owners who had used SOD in the past and they had great things to say about Oren and his group. They transformed our ageing 1600 sq.ft. home into an amazing 2900 sq. ft. that is absolutely breathtaking. Since this was our dream home being built, we were very involved in selecting materials for the project and the SOD team was very accommodating. They also worked well with other contractors like HVAC, fire sprinkler and sidewalk. They executed the job to perfection while coordinating with the city for inspections. They did a great job with everything from the laying of the new foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing. The best part was that they did an excellent job of finishing including flooring, painting, etc. They were very responsive to fixing minor touch-ups even after we had moved in. I would whole heartedly recommend SOD
- SOD Home GroupI highly recommend Oren SOD Home Group! He is very knowledgeable, answered all my questions (and more) , very professional, and responsive. Oren spent over 5 hours during our first meeting showing me all the possibilities that can be done to my house (kitchen, bathrooms, livingroom, dinning room and all the rest of the house), if you know little about all the little details about remodeling your home (like I do), Oren will definitely explain it to you in terms that you will completely understand and turns your ideas into this beautiful 3D design. Oren also had awesome ideas and recommendations on how to attain your dream home. He knows house histories, and why houses were built in a certain way! He is unlike any other contractor that will just throw out random price of how much the renovation could cost you without showing you hard proof. I am a visual learner, so when he made this amazing 3D design using the exact measurement of my house, he by far blown my mind with his experience and knowledge. It even gave me a chance to actually change few things that did not quite look right with kitchen. He will make sure you will enjoy and have fun designing your home. Bar, you are the best
- SOD Home GroupWe had such a positive experience with SOD Home Group, especially in working with Oren that we feel the need to write a review in case if someone else out there is searching for the same type of work on their home or even just a good construction company/contractor to work with. Prior to SOD Home Group, we worked with another contractor who not only didn’t deliver but took off with our money. We then contacted other contractors hoping they can do the job or recommend someone who is reliable to do the work, but it turns out they can only perform smaller projects. We decided to just give up on our vision of having a complete remodeling project of our home all together since it was too difficult to find someone who could take on the job and be trustworthy. But every time we looked at the wall it bothered us, I know first world problems, so we gave it one last shot. We sent a request out to multiple construction companies and SOD Home Group was one of the few who responded. When Oren came for the initial consultation, he was very well prepared, knowledgeable and provided us with a lot of details on what was involved (permits, inspections, cost, etc) so we knew we would move forward with SOD Home Group because of him. Long story short, we couldn’t be happier to have worked with him. He was very proactive and transparent throughout the entire process, updating us on timelines and of any delays. The best part of all is that any concerns we had or imperfection that we pointed out, he happily addressed them and got them corrected until we were happy with the results. Overall, the experience was impressive and we couldn’t be happier. For any future projects on home, SOD Home Group would definitely be our go to. Thanks SOD Home Group and Oren! I hope that my review can help another homeowner with their project
- SOD Home GroupWe were so fortunate to find SOD home group to redesign our house. It has been a while since we did any remodeling or updates. Oren was attentive to each and every detail during the work. The type of materials, the paint of the walls, the combination of the cabinets and more and more… were picked up one by one to deliver us a ‘look like new‘ home. The whole coordination of who will work and when, what will they do daily, weekly and monthly – was managed by Oren. The office staff always made sure that the schedule and perfection are the top priority and they kept informing us regarding each and every step of the work. We cannot thank all the people who did the work and manage to complete it on time even though we are in a middle of a pandemic. My wife and I love our new home and that is thanks to SOD Home Group
- SOD Home GroupWe are really happy with our decision to hire and work with SOD builders. We had a pleasure being around the crew while they remodeled our house. The work that was done by them was high quality, within our budget and everything was finished a little bit before the promised time. Adan had a unique design ideas and we were able to add several features to our remodeling project, features that we were sure that we can’t have on our own. Due to our satisfaction with them, we already planning on having additional remodeling work on our house in the next few months and SOD is the company that we will hire for that. In addition to that, we do recommend them to our family and friends
- SOD Home GroupMany thanks to SOD builders and mainly Allen and the actual people that were involved in our remodeling, for the excellent remodeling job that they did at our house. The remodeling project included the full remodeling of our house and it included the kitchen. Bathrooms, back yard, front yard, bedrooms and hallways. The work changed completely the house and we love it very much! Allen and his crew did such a professional work and each part of it was done with extra care and attention. During the work and even after, Allen was there for us to answer any of our questions or concerns, meeting us at various vendors and helped us selecting and choosing all the materials, appliances and paint. He used his skills and experience to advise us on all the many available options for many issues that raised during the work! We would refer SOD builders to anyone looking to convert their house space into something stunning
- SOD Home GroupWe’ve hired SOD builders as our contractor for room addition and the renovation of our kitchen and bedrooms project in our house. Since this is the first time we personally got involved in a project remodeling this size that included so many things to consider and plan. The help that I got from Oren and his team of workers was beyond my imagination and it included so many ideas, features and solutions. It was pretty scary to go ahead with this because I heard so many stories and nightmares stories about others that wanted to do remodeling projects and the contractor that they hired either left in the middle OR took the money and just left without do anything or mostly stories where at the end of the project, the final bill went up so much that caused the work to be just not worth it and unable to finish the project in time. But during the meetings with Oren from SOD builders before the project, he provided me with a detailed list of all possible costs according to our wish list and how long it will take to complete the construction. I have to say that they were both pretty accurate except there was a week delay on the construction caused by the city Inspector and all the bureaucracy that involved in such work. It was really nothing considering it was originally projected as a 24 weeks project. Although, it was a long project, but I have to admit it was a pleasant experience, especially the result turned out before than I expected
- SOD Home GroupWhile these larger jobs are rarely without hiccups here and there, I am overall very happy with the work of SOD Builders. This wasn't necessarily the largest renovation we had ever done but, due to being the Bay Area, it was the most expensive both in labor and materials. We were initially going to do a larger renovation but the costs came in too high. Overall, SOD's costs were roughly in the middle of those we spoke with and I ultimately chose them because the reviews I read on Angie's List and elsewhere. For the kitchen, we were removing a wall to the living/dining room and completely reconfiguring the kitchen. This included a large island, new windows, quartz countertops, custom cabinets and blending in the floors from the living room. We had a fairly clear idea of what we were looking to do and SOD's design staff helped turn that into 3D models and ultimately a great new floorplan. Since we were taking out a large wall, structural engineers were also involved. We've been using the kitchen for a few months now with no problems and we absolutely love it. I was expecting to have a few issues pop up after inspection but the work was nearly flawless. We also completely redid the guest bath. This involved moving a closet to get more space and reconfiguring the bathroom itself. Truth be told, there were a few frustrating moments during this part of the renovation since the crew often didn't understand what the plan was with the tile and the use of the quartz around the bathtub. We had to settle for a few shortcuts on the tile that we can live with and there was some repair work that needed to be done after the inspection but, overall, we're very happy with the bathroom and no one besides us has ever noticed the quirks with the tile. My only real negative was that I didn't feel like I was ever working with a good project manager, which I think is important for a project this size. The sales guy was helpful at first (after some misunderstandings about the quote) but he wasn't on site very often and didn't like to communicate over email, which was much easier for my work schedule. There were many days where people would show up and ask me what needed to be done or had questions about what was finished the day before and I often didn't know. Because of this, I found that I had to repeat some instructions many times before all the people that needed to know got the picture. If there was one area to improve, I would say that they should hire a project manager for jobs of this size. Here's my assessment of the crew as a whole: - Daily crew - The crew who was there just about every day and did the demolition, drywall and all other non specialty work was top notch. They were always on time, put in long days (often even weekends), were quick to fix mistakes and were very clean and respectful of our property. Those guys were great. - Electrical - I didn't have a lot of confidence in the electrical crew but they were fairly quick to fix their mistakes. There are a couple strange lingering issues, like a switch in the garage that, for some reason, turns off the electrical to the lighting in the kitchen, but the work has held up. - Painting - Maybe it's because I was a painter when I was younger but I'd rate the interior painting crew as a C+. It's tough to make things look very clean with textured walls but I've had to go back and touch up a few things to get the lines straight. - Exterior/Stucco - Again, it's tough to match stucco 100% but the areas around the new windows are visibly different from the outside. I don't think it's a huge issue but it's something I notice almost every day. - Floor - The flooring guys are spectacular. We went away for a weekend and let them refinish the floors in the entire house and came home to what looked like brand new floors. The area in the kitchen that had to be blended in was completely flawless and it's impossible to see where the old floor ends and new floor begins. Just great work here. - Cabinets - The cabinets themselves are beautiful. The only problem I had was that only one set of doors had the slow-close hinges and I expected it to be on all of them. The drawers all had them but only the doors over the fridge had the slow-close mechanism, which I thought was odd. As you can see, most of the issues are minor considering the size of the job so I can still say that I recommend SOD Builders for just about any project. We plan on getting a bid from them again when we finish the next phase of our remodel and I won't hesitate to use them if their price is competitive
- Design EverestThis is the worst Engineering Design firm. They outsource their engineers from India. They are incapable of accomplishing the plans on time. Do not use this place. We are still waiting for our structural and civil plans. You can’t speak with the engineers directly and have to go through an intermediary who lacks the basic knowledge about construction. They are completely incompetent and all of their positive reviews are fake! Do not use this company. You will get nothing but aggregations
- G.L. Hunt Foundation RepairDid the job quickly because it was an emergency. Did a good job and didn't damage the sprinkler system.
Structural Engineers in San Jose
- Business Description:We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. Call or click to schedule a free estimate today!
- Business Description:QUESTION: WAS THE LAST FOUNDATION COMPANY YOU RECEIVED A FOUNDATION REPAIR BID FROM ICC APPROVED? The Sure Safe foundation is ICC-ES listed and approved, which means the VR-1 foundation has been tested and evaluated to meet the requirements of all building codes and other applicable codes in North America and other regions around the world, and is the preferred choice of code officials and government regulators - allowing them to instantly approve our foundation repair with confidence and p..Recent Review:Arts team was out the next day after we talked to view the property and take photos to give my clients an estimate for the work that needed to be done to their foundation. He got the report back less then 24hrs after visiting the home and I felt his price was very fair. I have had a few other clients who had foundation work completed by Arts team and they were all very happy with it. His estimate did not cost my clients anything and it was very thoroughJohn S.
- Business Description:Safe Engineering Construction offers full Design / Build services with over 30 years of local San Francisco / Bay Area experience. Specialized in Seismic/ Earthquake / Soft Story Retrofits, Steel Moment Frames, Foundation Retrofits, leveling, Deck and Balconies repairs and building Retaining Walls.
- Business Description:Our mission is to be a provider that brings back the personal touch with our customers. We will build a relationship that will last a lifetime after you see our quality work. As a locally owned and operated business we feel invested in our clients and constantly strive for customer satisfaction. We won't leave until the job is done right! Call or click to schedule an estimate today!Recent Review:The service was excellent. They were professional, on time and polite. They were very into details. They were very helpful. They were always on time and very understanding on the budget with limitations. They were very friendly and very courteous The project was done with good designs which I didn't have to think about since they have a good designer and architectTamara R.
- Business Description:What do you think of when you imagine your newly remodeled or custom-built home? Dinners around the family table. Soaking in the tub. Watching a movie in your cozy den. Entertaining with good friends on the deck. Whatever you envision, we can help you get there. We’ll handle the nails and wires and paint. And turn your dreams into reality. At Luxcess Home by SOD Builders, we take pride in crafting beautiful homes that will stand the test of time. It’s this excitement and commitment to excelle..Recent Review:We asked a few remodeling companies to come over for an estimate of a remodeling project in our house. We were very impressed by SOD Home Group and took them for the job. That was a good decision. They were just great and during three weeks they had perfectly remodeled our house, ground and upper living floor to our full satisfaction. We love this company and highly recommend them. Special thank you to Oren!! You nailed itNicole S.
- Business Description:Dear homeowner, Brother & Brother Remodeling is a well rounded company responsible as a licensed California general building contractor for over 10 years. Our mission statement is constant and never ending improvement. We strive to provide the best value for our customers with the goal of maximizing customer satisfaction. We stand ready to partner with you in transforming your home. Home is where our story beginsRecent Review:Raz and his crew at Brother and Brother exceeded our expectations. They got the job done within the stated timeline which was key. The price was the best quoted and the quality of the finished product is excellent! It was easy to communicate via text or call, what we wanted and expected. If we had any questions on materials or any changes to be made, they were quick to respond at any time, day or night. The whole crew was polite and easy to work with. Being that the job was the kids' bathroom remodel, they kept the worksite clean everyday after they were done. They adjusted the mirror to accommodate the faucet and gave suggestions to the paint and glass tile niche when we were unsure. Again, their timeliness was spot on; they started the job right away and finished on time. They had permits and inspections planned to very well, and we were notified well in advance when to expect any visits. So happy with the overall quality of the work, ease of communication, and fair price of the whole remodel. Would do it all again in a heartbeat! Thank you, Raz, for the best experience possible. Hope to work with you again in the future!!Joan A.
- Business Description:Green Planet Remodeling specializes in green remodeling. We are a general construction company and our services includes kitchen and bath remodeling with free 3D design, Tex Cote applications with life time warranty, interior and exterior painting, roofing, windows, solar systems and much more, we are a family owned and operated company, licensed bonded and insured, we guarantee satisfaction to all of our customers. Our Company has a job minimum of $5,000. We service all the Bay areaRecent Review:We went with Green Planet Remodeling on ADU Garage Conversion. From our first meeting we knew they are very reliable company. Jonathan from Green Planet was very informative, professional and honest. He really cares about customer satisfaction. He and his team were always on time, worked hard, listened our requests and did excellent and high quality work. Jonathan kept the costs within our budget and project was finished within his promised time. We couldn't ask for more!Linda W.
- Business Description:We are a small, local company and our main goal is to make sure our customers are happy. We cannot send a quote, but we can come out to your property for a free estimate to look at the job and what work is needed and then give you a quote based on exactly what you need and want to be done. Estimate is completely free! Price is given at the end of the estimate and we go from there. We have a huge portfolio of pictures and references and can take you to many previous jobs that have been complet..Recent Review:Very smoothly. Eli and the team and GMBC Construction were fabulous. Work was done in less then 4 months and working with one team from start to finish was very nice. I did not worry about anything. We were informed and kept up to date with everything. Thank you to GMBC and to Eli and Armando! Referred to everyone! So easy and pleasant to work withMenucha G.
- Business Description:ECS Design, Inc. is an insured and California-licensed General Contractor and HVAC Company. We provide Design/Build Solutions for Commercial and Residential applications. ECS Design is a Participating Contractor in the Energy Upgrade California program -- an initiative in the State of California -- to collaborate with PG&E for the Energy Rebate Programs. ECS Design also partners with Architects, Engineers and independent building designers with an extensive networks capabilitiesRecent Review:Vorn serviced my new mini spilt AC not cooling- he was really friendly and helpful, sorted the AC problem out quickly and efficiently. He was very professional identified the freon leak, water pipe issue and fixed the multiple AC issues. A great service, great repairman, polite, wore masks, left area clean. I was very satisfied with the repair to my AC. I highly recommend his repair service. I will definitely be using this company againMary T.
- Business Description:At VALLE GARDENING & LANDSCAPING Our goal is to remodel, as well as to build innovative, beautiful and enduring landscapes, hardscapes and softscapes. We want to meet the individual needs of our clients and also welcome sketches, drawings and blueprints. We love working with the client's initial ideas and then enhance those ideas with our expertise and skills. We will make a client's dream happen within their priorities and budgets. We are willing to work with the client to provide alternativ..Recent Review:We hired them to build stairs in our backyard. I like Frank's design expertise and his knowledge, even though we weren't able to give him a lot of information about what we wanted. As we spoke he was able to glean what we needed and come back with a real good approximation and it was greatDiane O.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful structural engineer articles
Do you have a suspicious support beam in your home with signs of dry rot, water damage, or—dare we say it—termites? The cost to replace a rotted support beam will take all these causes into account, as well as your unique home design.
Earthquakes can cause serious damage to homes, but whether you have a new build or an older house, you can protect it from these natural disasters. Find out earthquake retrofit costs based on type of home, foundation type, retrofit method, and more.
Find structural engineers in
structural engineers in San Jose
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- iBuild Construction2765 Hunter st.
Palo Alto, California 94303
- iBuild Construction
- KG ASSOCIATES1425 Cayuga Ave
San Francisco, California 94112
- KG ASSOCIATES
- PALADIN DESIGN GROUP249 S. 20th Street
San Jose, California 95116
- PARADIGM STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS450 SANSOME ST 5TH FLOOR
San Francisco, California 94111
- PEACE OF MIND STRUCTURAL INC180 South Blvd
San Mateo, California 94402
- Precision Structural Engineering250 MAIN ST A
Klamath Falls, Oregon 97601
- Pribuss Engineering523 Mayfair Ave
South San Francisco, California 94080
- PALADIN DESIGN GROUP
- QUAKE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING1632 ULLOA ST
San Francisco, California 94116
- QUAKE STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING
- SEZEN & MOON STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING, INC.274 E HAMILTON AVE STE C
Campbell, California 95008
- SOD Home Group800 W. El Camino Real Ste 180
Mountian View, California 94040
- Style & Structure, INC3478 Buskirk Ave Suite 1000
Pleasant Hill, California 94523
- Sure Safe EFS2534 State St Ste 436
San Diego, California 92101
- SEZEN & MOON STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING, INC.
- VALLE GARDENING & LANDSCAPINGP.O. BOX 5099
Redwood City, California 94063
- VALLE GARDENING & LANDSCAPING
- WEIR ANDREWSON ASSOC INC990 A ST K
San Rafael, California 94901
- WEIR ANDREWSON ASSOC INC