CRYSTAL BLUE AQUATICS

Founded 2005 • With Angi since November 2008

4.3

23585 Overland drive

Sterling, VA 20166

Custom Concrete swimming pool design and new construction, Swimming Pool renovations/remodel, openings, closings,weekly maintenance, leak detection and repair, concrete replacement, paver installation, loop loc safety covers, resurfacing... We specialize in gunite/shotcrete ,Inground swimming pools.

06/10/2017

Heike T.

When we started working with Crystal Blue Aquatics, they were exceptional. Unfortunately, the service became more and more careless and sloppy over the past two seasons. Last season it took a very long time for the pool to clean up, and on several occasions the water hose was left on and we found the pool overflowing a few times. The communication between the technician and us was inconsistent as well, as he did not report weekly on the work that had been done. I hired another pool company who just opened our pool this afternoon, and I was informed that the pool had not been properly winterized. The gas to the heater was not shut down, the heater, filter, and pipes were still full of water, and we have a few breaks in the equipment and in the underground pipe that leads the water away from the pool. Thank goodness it wasn't a terribly cold winter; otherwise, the damage could have been so much bigger. From my previous experience with Crystal Blue Aquatics, I know that they do great work and I hope that maybe this review can direct them into assessing what needs to be improved upon and remind their technicians what they need to pay closer attention to.

Description of Work
Crystal Blue Aquatics has serviced our pool for several years and also conducted some repairs on the pool and the equipment.

Category pool cleaners

[Member Name Removed], thanks for your feedback after having your account for so many years. I wish these issues were communicated better as well instead of using this platform to let us know your thoughts. The only response we received was about cost of contract being so high. I spoke with my technicians and we went back over our weekly reports sent to you after each service. We found if your pool overflowed we called and left a note in the service ticket about low water level. We have no choice but to fill your pool and let you know since the pump needs proper water level and this process takes about 2 plus hours average. Our contracts state we are not responsible for water levels but will notify home owner to ensure the level gets remedied. Two items we noted about your equipment to you upon closing. Your heater gas valve is broken therefore a qualified gas plumber should be called to repair. We also noted one valve on pool equipment was passing and needs replacement. That one valve was crucial to airlocking the pool drain. Since it passed water must have back flowed as we explained in our closing estimate for repairs. If you had breaks we would have been happy to discuss repair options and our notes. Unfortunately this is the first we are hearing of any issues.

04/28/2017

Gary H.

It didn't go at all, sadly for us with a beautiful weekend upcoming! I had been working with Crystal Blue for all of my pool needs including new heater (2013), new filter system (2014) and new pool overhaul (2015) as well as weekly service contract until this year. They had always been responsive and mostly professional with a few miscommunication events here and there. Sadly this has all changed. I received an email from their new service manager this winter promising upgrades to service and the team with tales of a more professional organization...sorry, this just isn't true. I set up my pool opening in February for this week only to arrive home on the planned day with the cover still in place. A few emails to Crystal Blue solved the mystery with the answer of 'oops, we messed up', we'll do it tomorrow. Sadly tomorrow happened again with no pool opening. Today's message was 'we'll see if we can get to it next week'. Fat chance, you're fired now and forever, no chance I'll work with these guys again. Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on me! I've moved on to a new pool guy that will hopefully tell me the truth!

Description of Work
Pool opening for the 2017 season

05/25/2016

Kaab S.

Crystal Blue Aquatics built a fantastic pool in our backyard over the summer of 2015. Jason and his crew were a pleasure to work with. We talked to several other pool builders but ultimately decided that Crystal Blue Aquatics was the right choice for us. It was very important to us that whoever we chose to build our pool was responsive and Jason has always responded to texts, emails and phone calls mostly within an hour or so, you won't get that with other builders. Lots of choices on materials that are top notch included in the base price, no skimping on the quality at all. We upgraded to a paver patio around the pool that stays cool even in direct sunlight. We also upgraded from a standard white plaster to SGM Diamond Brite in a French Grey finish. Jason came to our house during the design process and sat with us in our kitchen with his computer and worked on custom designing our pool. He came up with some cool ideas that he incorporated into the design that we would never have gotten with another builder. Jason was on site with his guys every day and managed the project very well. He provided a project schedule that I thought would be impossible to meet however he ended up beating the schedule and had us swimming in our pool for a party we had planned before we ever signed the contract. Price of the pool was very competitive with other custom builders but he included all the extras at the base price. Looking forward to having Crystal Blue Aquatics service our pool going forward.

Description of Work
Pool design, build and service

Category pool cleaners, swimming pools

Thanks so much [Member Name Removed] for your job! It was a pleasure working with you as well. We look forward to a long relationship with you.

03/02/2016

Ann G.

It took several days and contacts before work was scheduled. Was a special I believe for $120 but never indicated that that did not include placing cover--$50 additional. Workmen looked like they had been picked up on a street corner. Poorly dressed and loud. Complained about the distance.

Description of Work
Closed the pool.

10/26/2015

Jorge L.

They had promote a deal to close the pool for $us 180.00, never asked for it, I just purchase the deal. I had to wait a month to get the service done, very bad service, after I escalated the issue they came and did the job, I have used a company for over 5 years and paid a flat fee of $us 250.00, they used to do a great job, including putting the cover for us, washing the filter putting everything in a box, basically a professional job, very disappointing job they just blew the lines and added antifreeze and left.

Category pool cleaners

[Member Name Removed] Our coupon clearly states what is included and not included for the $180.00 dollars. The water level needed to be lowered by you before we winterize and the cover is to be put on by you as well for the special. As I stated to you in our communications back and forth is number 1 we have other clients scheduled ahead of you and number 2 if your water level is not down we will not be able to close your pool since that is part of the deal. Also [Member Name Removed] when you purchase the deal you are supposed to supply our company with all contact information so we can schedule you. I contacted you through angies list twice over the first 2 week period of time before you finally reaponded. [Member Name Removed] our communication is only as good as our clients are with us and we completed your deal as soon as you finally communicated to us your client info and the fact the water level was down to correct winter level. Thanks for having CBA close your pool for the 2015 Season.

01/29/2015

Constance V.

We had a problem with the O-rings on the valve on the pool and they had to fix that on the outside of the season and they opened the pool approximately the 3rd week of May. Outside of that we don't see them for the whole summer and they close it is what it amounts to. There a little hard to get ahold of. We had to call them and tell them we hadn't gotten a bill yet. They are a fairly decent value and that's why we use them. Their quality of work is good. What happens in the pool opening and closing business there are these problems with everybody wants it all done all at the same time. If you end up on the wrong side of the schedule or something is messed up, like we had a part problem and we got thrown off the schedule and it took them a couple of days to get back to us. .

Description of Work
Closed pool for the season.

09/12/2014

DEAN C.

The technician told me that he got too busy from the responses from Angie’s List and could not help me. I am now seeking service from another company. The guy was nice and professional over the phone. He was good at explaining that he is a small business and could not provide quality service at this point. I also had to reach out to him before having any contact with the company. I usually hear from the companies first when I purchase a deal from them.

Description of Work
I purchased a deal for a pool or spa service call.

06/07/2014

Mukul M.

Very unpleasant experience!! The excuse given by provider was that "service has expired". How can service expire 2 days after buying a deal? How can Angie's List advertise and prompt customer to buy a deal that has expired? After contacting customer service for refund via email, I had to call customer service via phone for refund since I got no reply to email. Kindly refund the amount asap.

06/05/2014

Marie K.

I first hired him after finding him on Angie’s List and completed the repair. Jason is very, very good and professional. He is busy and it can take some time for him to come out initially for the opening and closing visit, but they are punctual to their weekly maintenance's. We have been happy with their services.

Description of Work
He straightened out a situation we had with our pool equipment. Because we were so happy with his service, we have hired him for pool maintenance. They come once a week to take care of the pool and then open and close it as well.

05/29/2014

Carina N.

The company was polite and responsive, however, we are out of the service area. Realizing that they would not be able to service our pool, the representative agreed that we should get refunded.

05/13/2014

David B.

They were responsive and reliable. They did a good job in cleaning the pool, they showed up every week and they did what they said they would do.

Description of Work
I use them for the pool. They cleaned my pool.

10/22/2013

Soraya K.

Jason and his team arrived and got straight to work. They were very professional and extremely helpful. This is my first time using a company to close my pool and he walked me through the entire process (even engaging my kids along the way). The closing took a little over an hour and they packed up in a flash and actually placed my personal supplies back in my pool shed for me. His prices are great, especially for the quality of work they provide. I would highly recommend them and even asked for an estimate to replaster/tile the pool in the spring. I look forward to working with Jason and his team again. Thank you!

Description of Work
Pool closing/winterizing

10/02/2013

Larry A.

We get the off of Angie's List, and compared to last year, the people have gotten worse. The owner now likes to build pools, and not service them, and so he likes the bigger money. He was great in the first year, he was easy to reach, but the last year, he just got bad. The price is fairly competitive.

Description of Work
We use Crystal Blue Aquatics. They closed the pool yesterday.

10/02/2013

Scott T.

A couple of weeks after Crystal Blue Aquatics opened my pool in mid April, the pump timer failed and I emailed Jason to get a new one installed. He replied that they were "swamped" and couldn't do it right away. I then asked if he could do it before June 3, which was several weeks away and when we were going on vacation. He said "yes." I then asked that he let me know what day and if he wasn't able to do it for any reason to let me know as soon as possible. I never heard from him again and they never showed up to replace the timer. The week before June 3 I both emailed and called to verify they were coming and what day. No reply to my email and when I phoned, it rang and rang and rang and didn't go to voicemail. Fortunately, I was able to find a different company that came and did the repair within a day of calling them. Needless to say, I will never use Crystal Blue Aquatics again. My issue being the unprofessional and nonresponsive way in which Jason handled my request. I must say I was quite surprised since all the previous times that Crystal Blue Aquatics had performed work for me, they were quite responsive and did a good job. The previous work however was much more extensive and expensive (new heater and pool cover, in addition to closing the pool). Obviously, they are not a dependable and reliable pool service provider when it comes to more minor issues. I can only assume that replacing the pump timer was not worth their time or effort.

Description of Work
Crystal Blue Aquatics was to install a new pool pump timer.

09/13/2013

CHARLES L.

Eureka! After using four other pool service companies the last ten years or so, I have finally found a keeper. Based on Angie's List recommendations, I called CBA and talked to the owner, Jason, who came out a few days later to take a look at the pool and go over with me their various services and what a maintenance contract would look like. I was immediately impressed by Jason's obvious knowledgeability of the business and of pools in general. On opening day, the crew (all wearing company tee-shirts saying either "Service Tech" or "Tech In Training") was led by Chief Technician Morgan who spent time with me going over everything. Morgan also gave me his direct phone number in case I ever had a problem. The weekly service was outstanding -- frankly, my pool never looked so good; when a "green algae" problem developed, the crew knew how to handle it and took care of it immediately. And I was very pleased that the CBA techs brought and used their own vacuum system so the vacuuming did not have to go through my filter. (My last pool company clogged the filter.) Again, with the closing, Morgan lead the crew and, when they were finished, he rang my doorbell and explained to me exactly what they had done. Morgan and the service techs all seemed well trained and knowledgeable. Excellent! While the price is not cheap, it is competitive, and I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". In addition, CBA gives an Angie's List discount for first-time users, and a discount if you pay the full price in advance. Finally, you can pay by credit card -- a great boon for those of us who live for our mileage points! I will of course use CBA to open, close, and do a weekly servicing of my pool next year, and I would have no qualms about using them for repairs should the need arise. As I said at the beginning, I have finally found a pool service that believes both in expertise and "service".

Description of Work
Opened my in-ground swimming pool in the Spring, cleaned the coping and concrete deck around the pool, provided weekly cleaning/maintenance service for 15 weeks, and closed the pool in the Fall. The weekly service included vacuuming, brushing, checking/adding chemicals and, when needed, backwashing.

07/31/2013

Kenneth P.

I wrote a review regarding this company approximately one week ago. I had been unable to contact the owner although my first experience with him and his company had been excellent. He did respond to my current request promptly and installed a new pool pump immediately . He himself came out with Morgan (his very knowledgeable assistant), the day after we talked, installed a new pump, discussed multiple issues regarding pool maintenance and checked my pool chemicals free of charge. I will be using them in the future!!!!!

Description of Work
Installed a new pool pump.

07/29/2013

Kenneth P.

They were great. They never came back out or charged me. They have disappeared. I have tried to contact several times by email and by phone.

Description of Work
They opened my pool.

07/26/2013

Kelly R.

See above. I wouldn't recommend anyone bother with CBA, until they learn basic customer service. If they have so much business that they don't need the work, then don't make appointments.

Description of Work
I called Jason, and scheduled an estimate for a complete pool deck remodel. He seemed very receptive, and I received a confirmation email. After taking off work to meet with him, he was a no-show. Subsequent calls to his cell were not answered or returned...overall extremely frustrating lack of customer service. Especially in this area, where there are plenty of companies looking for business, and we are certainly going to have the work performed.

Category pool cleaners

I am sorry (removed member name) but you did not email me as to the date and time of our meeting as I asked you to do. I require all clients to email me date and time so there is no misunderstanding of date or time for meeting. I have never met with you and I have not given you a quote for pricing therefore I do not understand how you have come to your $10,000.00 dollar estimate for work.

03/27/2013

Marie K.

The work on my pool was performed promptly and efficiently. The crew, headed by Morgan, were polite and knowledgeable. The price for the work was very reasonable. They will be opening, cleaning the pool weekly and closing in the fall. I would highly recommend them to anyone who needs repair or service on their pool.

Description of Work
The skimmer to my pool was not working properly and the Anthony Caretaker system was also inoperable. Jason came out and diagnosed the problem as soon as I called him. His crew came out within a couple of weeks and repaired both of the problems. I look forward to working with them this summer.

03/21/2013

Theresa S.

Jason closed our pool last fall (we found him on Angie's List). His professionalism and attention to detail in doing a fairly routine pool service was heads above our last pool service company. We had no qualms about calling him do this most recent job. Jason was spot on with his timetable to do this job. It took one day to drain the pool and remove the old coping and tile. He brought tile samples to the house and we were able to select a tile from home. Within 10 days, they had the templates to measure for the radius cuts to the bluestone coping and coping was delivered 10 days after measurement. 6 days later, both tile and coping were installed. Total time from contract signing to installation: 38 days. Pool deck cleaning and powerwashing was done when they opened the pool the following week and they will caulk the pool perimeter when the weather is more suitable (April). Things that impressed us: Jason, Morgan, Devin, Jose and Samuel were all courteous and pleasant and there was no doubt they enjoyed what they were doing and questions we had were answered completely. Created a new plastered section on a curve to allow for the continuous curve of the new coping. This was ?on the job? ingenuity. Loved it! ?Clean as you go? philosophy. All areas where work was performed were left as clean as when they arrived. (some even cleaner!) Power washed our pool ? we were not expecting this. Hoses used were put back in their place before they left. Oh, by the way, the pool looks beautiful! Jason has a vested interest, not only in growing his business, but doing so by providing quality work and customer service to his clients. He has also instilled these values in his crew. In our opinion, he has found the long lost key to running a successful service-based company.

Description of Work
Remove old brick coping and old waterline tile and replace with radius bluestone coping and new waterline tile; clean and powerwash pool deck; caulk pool perimeter when weather is right for this job

12/07/2012

Scott T.

My experiences in all cases have been excellent. Jason and his staff are extremely responsive, arriving when they say they will and doing all work as described and estimated. Jason was always very quick to respond to my emails whenever I had questions or needed to schedule the work. They did a great job and I plan to use them for all my pool needs from now on. They are far superior to other pool companies that I've had experience with.

Description of Work
I've used Crystal Blue Aquatics 3 times this past summer: to provide and install a new pool heater, provide and install a LoopLoc pool cover, and to perform end of season pool closing.

11/12/2012

Kristen S.

Jason and his crew were great. My Mom's pool was closed the fall before by someone elso who did a poor job. The cover fell in and by the next summer there were so many leaves and frog in the pool that the water had turned green. After I called Crystal Blue Aquatics, Jason (the owner) came right over and assessed the situation. He recommended draining the pool, cleaning it with a weal acid wash, and having clean water trucked in since the house uses well water. The work was done very well and efficently. I also signed up for a weekly pool cleaning/maintenace with them. His crew did an excellent job - very reliable and thorough. It was nice to not have to worry about anything. I ordered a nwe pool cover (Loop Loc custom cover) through them. They measured the pool for the cover, closed the pool, installed the cover and cover pump. Jason was always willing to answer my questions and he made many good recommendations. He is very experienced, professional, and just a very nice person. I will certainly use them next summer.

Description of Work
Drained and cleaned swimming pool, performed weekly cleaning/maintence throughout the summer, closed & winterized pool, and installed a new pool cover.

10/02/2012

kathleen H.

They were just wonderful. The first positive indication I had was that the owner, Jason DeBosky, actually answers the phone himself or calls you back the same day. My business depends on my pool. I explained this to him and the urgency of having the pool opened by a certain date. He stayed in touch with me and I will say, I was very uncomfortable when we came to the week before my deadline. However, they came through with flying colors and delivered as promised. They came daily that week and stayed until 11:00 and almost Midnight another day to open the pool. I had a few problems but they were quickly resolved and I could easily reach Jason for advice. Jason also communicates very clearly with a well written contract and follows his contract. I knew what to expect and always had their weekly visit exactly on the same day and in the morning. They adjusted their schedule so it would not interfere with my business and followed through consistently. My pool vacuum had not worked for several years. Jason's associate, Morgan, looked at it and knew instantly what the problem was. He fixed it and now the vacuum works. He also coaches me on it to keep it working. My last pool company almost put me out of business and I can honestly tell you it has been such a relief to have Crystal Blue Aquatics and Jason and Morgan maintaining my pool. I had not been able to sleep last summer with worry and the other company actually damaged my pool. My pool is older and may not be the one that every contractor would like to service, so I am so thankful that Jason graciously agreed to take it. They have literally made my life easier and I trust them completely. I am so fortunate to have found them and I found them on Angie's List.

Description of Work
Open and Close Pool. Maintain the pool on a weekly basis once open. Adding chemicals and maintaining clarity of balanced water.Vacuum, brush and skim pool. Empty skimmers and backwash. All Polaris repairs. Leave itemized check sheet and pool chemistry evaluation. Closing includes lowering water level, draining and blowing lines, adding antifreeze, storing equipment and chemicals safely, install algaecide, inspect facility and advise repairs. 15 Weeks of Pool Service

09/20/2012

Deirdre M.

I found Crystal Blue Aquatics on Angie's list. They consistently had great reviews so I called up Jason, the owner. We inherited our previous pool company when we bought our house three years ago. Over that time the pool and equipment had deteriorated significantly, we never knew what the bill would be as there were so many "extras" and I couldn't communicate with the owner or staff. Finally I asked them not to come back. I called Jason during a very busy time following the storm and 5 day power outage so he was extremely busy sorting out the pools of his regular clients. I asked if he could help me get the pool ready for a party five days later! He came to see me THAT NIGHT and I liked him immediately. He is very friendly, professional and honest and I knew he would do a great job. I had lined up another company to come and quote but I cancelled them as I knew I could work with Jason. Although we were contracted for five bi-weekly visits to take us through until the end of the season, Jason and his team came a least three times in the first week to get the pool right and we were not charged extra for these visits. Initially Jason needed to use a lot of chemicals to get rid of mustard algae etc and these were included in the contracted cost. Given that we have had no extra costs I think we are paying the same or less for a far superior service. Jason's team of men are all courteous, well trained and speak English. If ever I have a query I can talk to them or just email Jason and he always replies very quickly. In the three years we have been here the pool has never looked and felt so clean. I can highly recommend Crystal Blue Aquatics and fully intend to keep using them in the future.

Description of Work
Five bi-weekly pool maintenance visits. Servicing pool equipment Rectifying problems with pool equipment, algae and staining on pool surface that previous company failed to solve Closing of the pool

09/20/2012

Bill W.

Trying to learn how to maintain a pool when it's not functioning properly is quite a daunting task. It's so much easier maintaining a WORKING pool. Having this done was some of the best money we spent on the house since we bought it. It was expensive, but fairly priced given the scope of the work.

Description of Work
We purchased a home in 2011 that came with an older, inground concrete pool (about 20k gallons) with a number of issues. The biggest problem was a suction leak that was taxing our pump and a main drain that had no suction at all. Upon opening our pool in the spring of 2012, the suction leak had become so bad, the pump could barely move water at all. The repair was quite an undertaking. All the plumbing is buried in concrete and emerges from the ground inside a pool house. Jason and his crew analyzed the problem and, in my opinion, engineered a clever solution. They jack-hammered up a narrow path of concrete back to the pool house and installed brand new suction lines. In the process, they also replaced my ancient skimmer and separated the main drain line and the skimmer line. After the plumbing work was completed, they poured new concrete and finished it off very nicely. Given the complexity of the repair, it was quite impressive how simple they made it look. The pool was up in running perfectly after a day and half of work. They made a few return visits over the next week to do the concrete and caulking. Since this repair, it’s been like having an entirely new pool. Not only is the pump moving water effortlessly, but vacuuming the pool is almost effortless with the increased suction due to newly installed lines. The main drain is also working perfectly. I couldn't be happier with the results of this repair. I would highly recommend Jason and his crew to anyone needing pool service. These guys really know their stuff!