T.R. YOUNG SERVICES

Founded 1984 • With Angi since May 2008

PO BOX 1566

Fairfax, VA 22038

T. R. Young Services is a family-owned full service general contractor. When quality is the only thing that matters, our dedication for a "job well done" is what separates us. No matter the size of your project or the level of expertise required, we offer the best solutions that deliver results....

10/13/2020

Belinda M.

It was very good. I had used them again.

Description of Work
update bathroom

10/04/2020

Colin I.

Fantastic service and quality! Ron and his crew were not messing around! When they showed up at 830am, they got right to it. We have used them for several jobs and plan on using them for more. We had a mix ups with the paint as we had the wrong shade of gray but Ron made sure it was taken care of and fixed in a timely manner. Ron is always available with any questions or concerns and his suggestions are always thoughtful and appreciated. I feel fully confident going to TR Young Services for all future jobs and will definitely recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Painting, electrical, remodeling, flooring, drywall, landscaping

Category electrician, flooring contractor, hardwood floor, lighting, remodeling, home builders, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

10/09/2018

Daniel M.

After having dealt with unscrupulous contractors, dealing with Mr. Young was refreshing; he gave straightforward estimates of both time and cost for the projects, and stuck to them. The crew that worked on our house was prompt and professional; they did their work well. The results were stunning. ...And no drama.

Description of Work
Flood damaged kitchen rebuild and bathroom remodel

Category ceramic tile, remodeling, woodworking, home remodeling

10/21/2016

Peter C.

The short: I hired TR Young Services to completely re-do the floor of the bathroom in my DC rowhouse (new joists, new plumbing, reconfigure, add floor heat). Some of the work was great, but many details were missed and nearly three years later, when they finally finished, the floor tile looks atrocious. And my standards are not particularly high. The long: here we go. When I was selecting a contractor, one thing Thomas emphasized was the fact that T.R. Young had employees do all of the work - they didn’t subcontract. I liked that. When the work started, we learned that the guys doing the work had just gone from being employees to being subcontractors. That didn’t set a good tone, but we liked them and the work they did. In fact, we liked a lot of the work they did. They were nice, they cleaned up after themselves, and much of the work they did was great. So what were the problems? As they finished up the project, lots of details got missed. They left gaping holes (¾”) in the floor tile at the radiator pipe penetrations. When I mentioned that, I was given two escutcheon plates, and I had to stuff and caulk the holes and install the plates myself. Other pipe penetrations got no escutcheon plates. The shower curtain rod was never installed properly. The shower plumbing got very scratched up. They didn’t use an elastic grout along the walls, so the grout there cracked immediately. And then there is the electric floor heat. I wanted hydronic heat for the floors, but Ron, the one who handled my project, convinced me that electrical heat would be great. And it was great, except for the cold spots, in front of the commode and the sink, where one tends to place bare feet. I asked if it was fixable or if it was just something we would have to live with. Ron said he could fix it. So he tried. Over the course of well over a year, they took part of the floor up, tried to fix the heating mesh several times, and failed. Then they tried to order some sort of patch kit, but after months abandoned that idea. At some point, one of the workers broke the leveling foot on the sink console. This was never mentioned to us - we discovered it ourselves. And when we called Kohler, we were told that the leveling foot cannot be replaced, and that the entire console ($300) is therefore a loss. At another point, I got an email from Ron asking if we could make an early progress payment because he was having cash flow problems. After about a year of back and forth on the floor heat, Ron finally said that it couldn’t be fixed, so they would have to take up the entire floor where the heating mesh was and re-install it. The result is abysmal. It is the worst tile job I have ever seen. The tile is a simple pinwheel pattern, and the little squares and rectangles now stick up all over the place, making it very lumpy. In addition, the grout lines go from about a half of an inch wide to next to nothing. And the new tile doesn’t match the tile they used earlier. Grout was left not only on tops of the tiles, but also in random spots around the bathroom. And, again, they used non-elastic grout at the wall border, and it has all cracked. As for the heat, when I went to test it, I learned that the new controller that they installed isn’t programmable like the original one. It takes about 45 minutes for the heat to kick in, so normally you set the controller to heat the floor to a temperature by the time you wake up to use the bath. No way to do that with this controller, making it not particularly useful. I have tested the floor heat, and found it wanting. Even after 45 minutes or more, there are cold spots. I told Ron about the uneven tile, and he said he would come take a look. That was over two months ago. I guess it doesn’t matter anymore, because I really can’t trust them to do the job right. We are so, so disappointed. And we are stuck with a terrible-looking bathroom floor that doesn’t heat up properly.

Description of Work
Renovate bathroom floor: new joists, new plumbing, and new floor heat.

Category ceramic tile, plumbing, home remodeling

Mr. [Member Name Removed], We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and your family! We are still committed today, as we were in the beginning of your project, to deliver a product your are happy with. Please feel free to contact our office to discuss options for the satisfactory completion of your project. Thank you! Regards, Ron Jacques General Manager

06/04/2015

Leonard F.

Description of Work
I was double billed according to the property managers

05/16/2015

Troy W.

We shopped around with several companies and chose TR Young because of the good reviews. I'm glad we did. Thomas handled all of the details (getting engineering plans drawn up, pulling permits, keeping us updated on the progress of the job). He has lots of experience in the field and clearly enjoys his work -- that shows up in the attention to detail (things like perfectly matching the paint at the end of the job so we can't really tell where the work was done).

Description of Work
Thomas and his crew recently finished a substantial repair to our house. The second floor bedroom (formerly a sleeping porch that was converted to a bedroom many years ago) on our newly-purchased house turned out to be failing structurally and had to have its support posts replaced (yes, we knew about it from the inspection, but no, we didn't know how big a job it was going to be -- we would never have bought the house if we had).

09/10/2014

Edward T.

They've just turned off the machine right now. There was just some additional work to be corrected but it went very well. The work was multiple, so it came in different pieces because there were individual parts of the renovation work. We selected them very carefully. I guess what stood out was the quality of work against the budget. As always the case it takes a little bit of fine tuning. They were very receptive and we are not disappointed with them.

Description of Work
They've done a renovation for us. We had some doors put in, a new hardwood floor, we had granite put in, we had some electrical work done, actually they didn't do the electrical work, we had that one subcontracted out to somebody. Some lighting and painting.

Category ceramic tile, electrician, hardwood floor, lighting, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters

04/12/2014

Palmer I.

I had T R Young Services build an addition to my home. He built a master bedroom and owners suite with master bath. He helped me select all the finishes, drew up the architectural plans and did a start to finish job. His workers were true craftsman, the tile work was superb, the bath fixtures were beautiful and the entire addition looked fabulous. I can't say enough good things about their work. The best was it was finished on time & on budget. I have found my forever contractor.

Description of Work
Built an addition on my home. He provided architectural drawings, help with design and all the constructon. Thomas & his team were professional, the quality of his work was 2nd to none and he completed the project on time and on budget. I have used all contractors in the past, but after using My Young and his team I will never use another contractor. This was a big job and I was more than pleased

Category remodeling, home builders, home remodeling

04/11/2014

Donald G.

The project was on an older home and we encountered some unexpected items when we began the demolition. Mr. Young was very responsive and able to solve these challenges as they arose. The project was eventually completed on budget despite the unexpected difficulties that were encountered.

Description of Work
Kitchen Remodeling

Category remodeling, home remodeling

03/27/2014

Debra H.

I have used T R Young services in the past fortile work design & installation, deck staining & repair, painting and overall home repairs and maintenance. He previously laid a marble radiant floor in my master bathroom and put in a new shower door an new bathroom fixutres. All work in the past was fantastic. This time they did a major basement remodel for me. The work was incredible. The stayed within budget, finished on-time and most importantaly their work was impeccable. The owner Thomas Young offered design advise, oversaw every detail and made sure we were happy with every step of the process. He presented different options for me and explained each one in detail. They did carpeting, electrical, tiling, insulation, HVAC and lighting. Soup to nuts.His workers were polite, knowledgeable and extremely neat. Every day they cleaned up and left things in order. You will not find a better contractor to use and above all, he was honest and reliable. You will not be disappointed if you use this contractor. I highly recommend his services.

Description of Work
A major basement remodel.

Category carpet installation, ceramic tile, electrician, flooring contractor, glass repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac, insulation, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, deck cleaning, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

03/24/2014

Mark P.

I would like to share my experience with T. R. Young Services. Thomas Young was a very experienced professional and great to work with. His team was very polite and courteous. They did a great job remodeling my kitchen and bathroom, as well as a structural issue on an exterior wall. I would highly recommend T.R.Young Services to all.

Description of Work
Remodeling my kitchen and bathroom Worked on structural issue on an exterior wall.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

01/22/2014

Kathy A.

The finished product is absolutely wonderful. Everything works as it should, no leaks, beautiful tile work and now I know it is also structurally sound. I could not be more thrilled with the outcome. Then, going way above and beyond, he agreed to serve as my expert witness in my lawsuit against the prior contractor. Tom spent 6 hours sitting in a courtroom and never once lost his smile. His testimony won me the case. What a great guy!

Description of Work
TR Young re-built my bathroom shower stall while simultaneously pulling me out of a very sticky situation. I had a TERRIBLE experience with ANOTHER contractor (not TR Young) that left me without a workable shower/bath in the house. My entire shower stall had to be torn out and completely rebuilt. So, I contacted Thomas Young, and he quickly brought in his very skilled team and had the entire job done in a matter of a couple of days! This included fixing the major structural errors made by the previous contractor.

Category plumbing, remodeling, home remodeling

04/29/2013

Justin S.

I hired Thomas to handle a large list of tasks on a 203k home renovation. His communications were professional, well organized, and prompt. In addition to doing the work requested, he proved to be a helpful resource offering much-needed advice on other concurrent projects. My project list was wide including plumbing, electrical, demo, HVAC, kitchen, bathroom, and exterior work. He kept to his timeline, the work met my expectations, and although his bid wasn't anywhere near the cheapest, I feel like I paid for (and received) premium care. TR Young is on my short-list of contacts for future projects because honesty, quality, & professionalism are worth a lot of money when so many things can go wrong.

Description of Work
Replaced electricals, plumbing, and HVAC house-wide. Installed new kitchen floor, appliances, & cabinets. Organized debris removal from gutting. Helped guide the 203k process. Installed new windows through whole house.

Category ceramic tile, heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows

09/24/2009

Karin M.

I originally called about insulation for the attic. The estimate was $2500-3500 for 600 square feet. Meanwhile, I discovered that the main beam running under the roof was cracked. Ron first said he would have to send a structural engineer to review the problem, at a cost of $850. I asked some questions about the structural engineer---like his name---and Ron was oddly reluctant to answer them. Eventually he gave me the name, and I checked the guy out on the internet, and he seemed fine. When I called back, Ron said that, actually, a visit from the structural engineer would not be necessary. They had spoken, and he had spoken with his boss, and the prescription was to temporarily prop up the beam with a lolly column and to sister onto it. The estimated cost was $9840. Everyone I have repeated this number to says it is absolutely ridiculous. I will say in Ron's favor that he spent a lot of time on the phone with me and seemed very patient and willing to explain things to me. He called to follow up a week or so after giving me this exorbitantly high estimate. He left a voice mail, and I eventually called him back and left a voice mail. I said that several people had told me the estimate was much too high, and told him that he was welcome to call me back if he wanted to discuss. He didn't. While this company may do good work, I believe Ron sought to take advantage of me (I have been a homeowner only for a couple months), and I question their ethics.

Description of Work
I spoke with Ron several times on the phone. He gave me a free verbal estimate to repair a cracked beam in my attic crawl space and to spray insulation into the attic.

02/24/2009

frances N.

Thomas came and looked at my home before I bought it and gave me detailed information about the structure and quality of the building itself which helped me decide whether the house was right for me. He then gave me an estimate of how much it would cost for large scale renovation I wanted--knocking down walls, putting in marble floors, bannisters, adding crown molding, painting every room and a total renovation of a1970's kitchen. My home is truly a luxurious one; friends gasp at the lovely and quality work that was done. Thomas still drops by to see how things are performing and if there is ever a glitch or something I don't quite know how to handle, he helps me do it.

Description of Work
Thomas Young renovated my home in 1999. His team was the most professional and polite I have ever come in contact with. His work is superior and he stands by every thing he has done. He recently renovated my bathroom and did a superb job. I have recommended Thomas to friends and all of them gave rave reviews. Ond friend had his kitchen totallly remodeled and another had her basement renovated. He performed both jobs on a timely basis and within estimated cost. Thomas is 100% reliable and honest and is a wonderful person also. He is not the "cheapest" you can find but he is the BEST.

07/09/2008

KATIE G.

I called Ron because his company; which is family owned; was recommended to me via a neighborhood listserv for providing quality work at a fair price. Ron agreed to come to my home to review architectural drawings that I had paid for and provide an estimate for me. The day that he was to come he called to tell me that he would be an hour or so late which really turned into an 1 1/2 hrs due to traffic. When he arrived, he was very personable and explained to me the background of his company and his experience. I was extremely impressed and had looked forward to getting an estimate from him. The estimate was to include a price to construct a 2 car garage which already has a pad. This would entail knocking down some existing concrete and building the garage which electrical outlet for the door and covering with hardy plank siding. The price provided to me was $78,000. In addition I have some structural issues with the addition on my house which would entail removing the addition and rebuilding it while adding on 250 sq ft over 3 floors. Within the addition I wanted to have the kitchen moved so I asked for the cost to extend pipes, wiring and gas. I also asked to have a rough-in for a master bath on the second floor. The price for this addition was provided at $184,000 which did not include cabinets, appliances or flooring. When I received the estimate I was floored. I knew it would be high but I expected a fair price. I called Ron to explain to him that I thought his prices were astronomical and explained to him that at $78,000 for a garage I calculated that it would take roughly 4 weeks to have it finished (this assumed a crew of 4 at $50/hr using at 60/40 split between material and labor, respectively). I explained that I thought it was absurd to think that it would take 4 weeks to build a garage that was not out of bricks and to assume that each crew member would be priced out at $50/hr was a bit high even considering overhead. Ron responded that he thought his pricing was competitive and realistic for the area. In any case we agreed to disagree and I asked that he return the copy of architectural drawings that I had provided to him. He did return them within less than a week which I thought was honorable.

Description of Work
Ron provided an estimate to repair and remodel my home. The estimate was free and is below. Addition: Labor and building materials: $184,800 does not include the cost of cabinets, appliances, or flooring. This budget may change if underpinning is required for the existing footer. Hot water heater replacement labor and materials: $1,800.00. Front porch replacement labor and materials: $16,000.00. Hose bib to exterior deck: $600.00. Garage labor and materials: $78,000.00. Wall adjustment in the living room to knee walls labor and materials: $6,800.00. Back deck for the addition labor and materials: $9,600.00.

05/07/2008

Debra H.

May 7, 2008, T. R. Young Services, P. O. Box 1566,Fairfax, VA. 22038, Email: tryoung@tryoungservices.com, Phone: 703-359-5555. Dear Mr. Young: I just wanted to express my complete satisfaction on the wonderful job your crew did on my deck. The deck looks fabulous and your team was courteous, on-time and professional. In fact during a recent walk-by inspection by our Home Owner s Association, the president of our HOA had these words to say: We simply wanted to express appreciation for your beautiful home and grounds. Your refurbished deck is fabulous. Thanks for making our community so wonderful. You took the time to explain to us the best product to use for the process and the proper care to keep our deck looking good. Once the job was done, you personally came by to inspect the work and made sure we were completely satisfied. Your attention to detail is amazing. Again, thanks for the superior job. I will not hesitate to use you for future projects and I would highly recommend you to any of my friends and neighbors. Debra Hackney, 3498 Barrister s Keepe Cr., Fairfax, VA. 22031.

Description of Work
Deck was power washed, sanded and re-finished.

Category deck cleaning

Pamir Eagle Construction

With over 13 years of general construction experience, here to help you with all your home improvement or remodeling needs and dreams.

J&AA Painting LLC

We specialize in interior & exterior painting services! We have the experience and dedication to bring your dreams to reality! We guarantee your satisfaction, and we won’t leave until the job is done right. Call or click to schedule a free estimate today!

Donna's Painting

Our company is based on the belief that our customers' needs and satisfaction are the most important goals to meet after completion of each project. Our entire team is committed to meet those needs. As a result, a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals. Owner: J. Miguel Ore, with over 20 years of experience as a painter. Donna's Painting, LLC. was established with a vision to offer exceptional painting services. I believe in offering professional thoroughness, efficiency, reliability, promptness, and courteousness service will help my company grow. I am always looking to establishing long term relationships with my clients. My staff understand that customer satisfaction is our number one priority. If you’re not completely satisfied we will make things right for you! We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry.

Offers by Donna's Painting on Angi
    Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Check, Discover

ADDITIONS & REMODELING, BATHROOMS, KITCHENS, BASEMENT FINISHING & EGRESS, FLOORING CARPET, NATURAL STONE, TILE AND HARDWOOD, FIREPLACES, INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR PAINTING, DECKS, PATIOS, & PORCHES, DEMOLITION & TEAR-OUT, DOORS, ELECTRICAL, EXCAVATING & GRADING, FENCING, GUTTERS & DOWNSPOUTS, HANDYMAN SERVICES, HVAC, PERMITS, DRAWINGS, & ENGINEERING, PLUMBING, RESTORATION, ROOFING, SIDING, STRUCTURAL REPAIRS, WALKWAYS & DRIVEWAYS, WALLCOVERING, WATERPROOFING AND WINDOWS.