Builders Unlimited LLC

Founded 2009 • With Angi since June 2011

2.4

321 W Bigelow Ave

Plain City, OH 43064

Locally family owned & operated. 20+ Years experience.

08/31/2016

Roberta C.

They didn't set the roof of the awning up correctly so the water and mud isn't getting funneled to the correct spots.

Description of Work
They put railings on my porch and they installed an awning on the front of my house. They did swell job, but there's still mud and water that's not being funneled to the correct places.

05/16/2014

Mary F.

The workers two men started at 10:00 clock one worker told other worker he had to go somewhere else at 12:00 and would not be back help him finish the job. The one man left to work alone started asking me if his way doing things would be ok so I approve this I stayed with him till 5 o'clock. He wanted to use mine screwdriver I was exhausted when he left that day.

Description of Work
Remove and replace 6' x 6' x 8" sliding patio door. Salesman Frank Chapman told us he would come and supervise the job the day his workers installed the patio door but never showed up that day.

Category doors

04/10/2014

Shirley K.

I had them replace a front door and hey were suppose to replace fascia on 2 tables and they only replaced one and claimed they weren't suppose to do the other one. They wouldn't respond to my calls. By mistake a guy came looking for business and I showed him the issue I had and he worked for Builders Unlimited and he said they would make it right and he gave me a quote. I had another provider do the work and he did a great job. Plus he was half the price of Builders Unlimited. Builders Unlimited did the work last Summer. I spent around $3000. I told the guy from Builders Unlimited that I wanted to keep my storm door but they took it instead when they did the replacement on the main door and ended up buying another one. They lied about a lot of stuff I told them about on the contract. They had poor communication.

Description of Work
I used Builders Unlimited LLC to replace some doors for me and replace fascia on some tables for me.

Category doors

11/01/2013

Sondra D.

A contract was signed 6/2012 with 1/2 the money given at time of signing. The deck was not completed until August of 2012. The provider informed me it had passed city inspection and the remainder of the money was given. In March of 2013 I received a letter from the Zoning Board of Columbus stating no final inspection had been done on the deck. I called the provider who stated he was aware and would have this completed within a week or two. I requested a response when the inspection was completed but did not hear back from the provider. In June of 2013 I noticed some warping and wood splitting. I called in August to the company as the handrail was falling off. The provider sent a crew out and a new deck was built. In the process of building this new deck I found the final inspection was never completed and in fact, the deck would not have past the city inspection as it was not built to code. The new deck was completed 9/9/2013 and I was present for the city 's final inspection and it did not pass the inspection due to a problem with the steps. The provider stated he would correct this. To date and after several calls to the provider, my steps have not been fixed and therefore, the deck still has not past an inspection. In the course of resolving this problem, I found the company generally does not return phone calls. If a call happens to be returned, the supervisor will tell you in "three days we will have someone out". No one ever comes. I have contacted a lawyer at this point to dicuss my options. I did my homework before employing this provider. At the time I was locating a provider, this provider had good ratings. I am writing this review of my experience to provide information to other consumers thinking of hiring this group.

Description of Work
The provider was to build a 10 X 12 wood deck.

Category decks

09/09/2013

Whit R.

First of all, the workers that they sent to my home were very good and did the best they could under the circumstances. The initial estimate went well, and when the workmen first showed up to do work, it was all going fine. The problems started with the man who was supposed to be the supervisor. He seems to have been in over his head. I was told that the job would be done in 1 1/2- 2 weeks. They started the job May 13th. As it was coming up on the middle of the second week, the workman doing the tile work complained that a wall couldn't be worked on because the faucets weren't there yet. The workman were very frustrated with the delays and began loading up his tools, because there was nothing more he could do before those parts arrived. He was assured that the parts would get here, and several days later, they did. Finally he was able to complete the drains, plumbing, and tile. The glass had not been ordered yet, and once they did the measurements, it was going to be a few more weeks before those were ready. We were supposed to have a quartz countertop that appeared to be high quality. That was not ordered yet, as it should have been. At this point we are already several weeks into the project. When they delivered the countertop, they were asking what the dimensions were to cut the faucets on the countertop. They had to call the supervisor and he had to call back to confirm the size. 20 minutes later, while they were cutting the faucet holes, he called back because he had given the wrong measurements for them to cut! They still installed the countertop and when the man came to install the faucets, he of course noticed that not only were the cuts not in the right places, but the drill was not perfectly vertical. He could not install the faucets. The supervisor came back out with the guys that did the original cut and they make the holes bigger. Now the holes are so big that there is a gap no matter how we works the faucets. Eventually, he was able to get a fit that worked. The final project was new molding and baseboards, which was not completed. About 3 weeks after we thought the job was done, one of the faucets popped lose because wasn't snug enough in the hole. The first supervisor had been replaced and we were talking to a new guy about the finishing jobs. He sent out a man to finish the jobs, but was not made aware of the problems that were still left undone. He did the best that he could. The faucet was still a concern, and we got the 2nd supervisor to come out and look at the problem. He assured me that he would make me feel satisfied. He said he was going to talk to Matt and the company that cut the countertop. The week before Labor Day was the last I have heard from him. I called about 10 times from the Thursday after Labor Day, through last Friday.

Description of Work
We hired them to do a remodel of our master bathroom. The quote was remarkably good and much lower than others we received.

09/05/2013

Shellie B.

They completed the job in Dec. 2012 and were paid. In late June 2013 when central Ohio experienced heavy storms from the west, the leak returned in the same area. They were called on July 1st and showed up on July 16th after 10 calls into them with no call backs when promised, and missed appointments. On July 31st, after more calls with no call backs and missed arrival times, they made a hole in the kitchen ceiling to find the leak. It was determined to be an upstairs window located just below the area of roof that was replaced in December. They offered to reset the window on or before August 9th and repair the ceiling shortly after. On August the 8th, when we called to confirm, they told us that they could not come until August 22nd. When we escalated the problem and spoke with one of the owners, he assured us he would call back in 24 hrs. with a quick solution to the problem. We have not heard from Builders Unlimited since then. They have not responded to outside requests for a fair solution. Let me also add, the owners of the house are 83 and 75 years old. Lots of information has been given above, all documented. We want to warn others of doing business with this company.

Description of Work
They were hired to repair a 4 x 13 area of an asphalt shingled roof, that they said was causing water to leak from the kitchen ceiling during hard storms from the west only. The cost for this project was $ 3250.00 or approx. $ 62.00 a sq.ft. Labor and material came to approx. $ 688.00. 12 month warranty.

08/05/2013

James C.

Installation went fine but took an extra day or so.

Description of Work
Remodeling in two bathrooms that included new cultured marble vanity tops plus new chrome faucet systems; chrome side, multiple light panels for mirrors; cultured marble wrap around side panels for tubs/showers plus new faucets/shower heads.

Category remodeling

Thank you [member name removed], We appreciate your business and we are thrilled you are happy with the work. Please continue to enjoy your new bathrooms (as if you wouldn't) and we look forward to more business with you in the future.

06/23/2013

Shirley K.

Original salesman on time, picked out door and sidelights, to be primed only, told him I wanted to keep original entry door because of new hardware and I would reuse the storm door because door company did not have storm door option. I needed storm door so door could be safely painted. I had not asked if work would be sub contracted, but apparently it was. Another person came and took measurements. Door arrived for installation Nov.13. Door had been ordered 4" too wide. New door arrived and installed December 13. Work was completed while I was away. I returned home about 130 and work crew returned for check. About 15 minutes after he left, I went to look for doors in garage and they weren't there. I called, he said that the storm door wouldn't fit. I was confused because the opening is standard and it wasn't on the order to reinstall anyway because the frame needed to be painted. (Though because of previous delays, weather had turned cold.) He did not offer to return door. I called back about 1 1/2 hours later and said I wanted storm door anyway and I would make it work. He said he had put it in a dumpster, made no apologies from him or Builders Unlimited. About 1 week later a 3 foot piece of fascia above the front door was at right angle to the house and soon after broke off. In Jan. I called and was told to contact the work crew, which at this point I was uncomfortable with quality of service. Checks had been made out to Builders Unlimited. I sent letter and photos to address on business card, and it was return in February as "undeliverable". Between business card, contract and Angie's List there are 3 different addresses. I called multiple times, finally in May, I called 3 days in a row and asking to be on hold to talk to manager. Manager would not talk to me, but someone did soon come out. He observed missing fascia, missing storm door, and could not answer question I had about weatherstripping on door. He took the broken piece of fascia, which unfortunately I assumed meant he was going to match and replace. He didn't. I called back several times over next 3 - 4 weeks. I asked for a simple response as to whether they even intended to fix the problems. Most times I talked to a guy named Ashley. He was polite and somewhat sympathetic, but no one EVER replied to these requests. Thursday, June 13, I talked to Ashley again and asked that they call me by the end of Friday June 14 whether they intended to repair fascia and compensate anything for the storm door. If they did not call or set up service time by end of Friday I was going to end negotiations and kick them off the job. I did not hear one word back from them. A week ago the other side of the gable fascia was at right angle to the house. I could also observe other nails that were protruding. Since the original fascia lasted 19 years, obviously this work was not done properly. I am going to have to have someone else inspect the now weathered wood, and replace two pieces of fascia, as well as inspect quality of work on other gable. I have already had to purchase and install another storm door at my own expense which I should not have had to do. Original problems with mis-ordering door, I had excused as dumb but honest mistake. Taking the storm door was poor communication between sales and installer. Poorly installed fascia work is concerning. ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE is the failure of the company to make any attempt at communication or service after the work was completed and payment was received. If you desire a building contractor that will communicate and make sure you are satisfied, from my experience this is not the builder to use. I have just filed complaint with BBB

Description of Work
Installation of new entry door with sidelights and replacement of fascia on two gables

03/27/2013

Dale S.

not well. Company did not provide proposal as promised

Description of Work
I finally did get the owner of the company to visit to evaluate my project. He promised to provide a quote but I never recieved it. Much later, I received a telemarketing call from their office. That led to a return call and a second promise of a proposal. I did not receive a quote the second time. Professional follow through was not good.

02/04/2013

Paula M.

After that, we started keeping track of trying to contact them. 12/4 Sent email to Gerry and Greg 12/11 Left another msg for Greg 12/13 Sent a follow up email to Gerry and Greg 12/20 Sent another follow email to both 1/4/13 Called office and left message asking for a return call 1/11/13 Called office and left messa ge asking for a return call 2/04/13 Someone called our house from Builders Unlimited and asked if someone had come to give an estimate. I explained they had and also had done the work, however, no one would call us back about the work that was done. "Sam" said he would pass the information to Matt or Max. My husband sent complete email to Matt@BuilderUnlimitedohio.com on the same day that we received the phone call. We have no idea if that is a good email address or not. In summary this nightware has not ended. Please DO NOT USE BUILDERS UNLIMITED to fix, repair or replace anything unless you want more problems than you have now. When we hired them, there were no negative comments on Angie's list. Since that time we notice there have been similar experiences to ours. We were very late in adding comments as we hoped they would resolve the issue. However, we were wrong and we want to help anyone else out there who is considering using them.

Description of Work
DO NOT USE THIS BUSINESS FOR EVEN A SMALL JOB!!! We hired them to reroute the guttering from our downspouts, under our deck in three places. We also had them remove 3 solar panels from our roof and repair/reshingle the roof as needed. We also let them know we were thinking of having a detached garage built to replace our aging shed. We were hoping to let them have the garage project if things went well. Our experience started out great. The person (Greg Johnson) who came to the house was knowledgeable and professional. The person that came to the house talk to scope the projects and purchase supplies (Gerry Ratcliff) was very polite and professional. The price seemed fair (at the time) assuming the work would be completed correctly and in a timely manner. The guttering part of the work seems okay but I guess time will tell. Overall,our experience with Builders Unlimited was HORRIBLE. After the solar panels were removed they sat in a collapsable trash bag in the driveway for almost two months. They told us to feel free to add other things we needed to get rid of and they would come and pickup the bag. When we called about getting the trash they informed us the company that supplied the bag did not travel to where we lived...so they (Builders Unlimited) would have to pickup themselves. We had to contact them at least a couple more times. They finally removed it the week of Thanksgiving. We had Home Efficiency Audit performed and all the ductwork that connected to the solar panels was removed. The person doing the audit questioned what the builders had placed over the hole in the decking before covering with shingles on the roof. My husband was able to reach 3 of the 4 areas in the attic to photograph. Whatever the material is...it gives. So we believe, we have 4 areas on our roof with shingles covering a HOLE. My husband specifically saw sheets of plywood/decking and assumed they were using it for something...but apparently not. WE HAD HOPED TO RESOLVE THE ROOF ISSUE BEFORE THE SNOW!!! We have tried to contact Builders Unlimited numerous times to ask them what they put under the shingles and to show them the photos. We have not received ANY call backs. We started keeping track of our calls in December. My husband had Gerry on the phone describing the problem and was cut off. Everyone knows that happens sometimes on cell phones. Gerry never called back even after my husband left another msg. He was able to reach him one more time to be told the subcontracters did the "roof" part of the job and he would get with them and get back to us.

Category gutter repair, roofing

12/29/2012

John L.

I signed the contract October 25 for a replacement of two countertops and faucets and a kitchen sink and a vinyl floor patch. They came back about 5 weeks later to make sink measurements they missed on the first two visits. So the order for the marble countertops was delayed about 5 weeks, making the overall wait for installation on 12/28/12 about 9 weeks. They showed up without warning. I thought the overall workmanship was mediocre. One of the drains was slow running after their work. There was some damage to the walls and trim and a dropped wrench damaged the floor. The minor vinyl floor repair attempt was not effective. In my opinion he did not have the proper chemicals to make the repair. He just used some caulk. I did not expect much on that item since I thought it was outside their area of expertise. So I am not bothered by it, just a little disappointed. The kitchen sink was deeper than the old one. It does not seem to be a problem. They substituted for the Moen faucets I ordered, but the Pfister faucets they used seem very nice. So overall I was annoyed by the long wait, and the installation could have been a little better, but I am glad that I had the work done.

Description of Work
In the kitchen they replaced the stainless steel double sink. They reused the faucet. They replaced the small marble countertop and built-in sink and the faucet in the half bath. They replaced the large countertop and built-in sink and the faucet in the master bath. They also attempted a minor floor repair on a lifted seam on the vinyl floor in the hallway.

12/26/2012

Laurie S.

We received a flyer on our mailbox for this company and called to set up a consult for the first weekend in April 2012. The salesman showed up on time. He was a nice guy but it was a pretty high pressure sales pitch and we fell for it and signed a contract that day (our mistake). We were told the company didn't sub contract the work and the deck and the patio would start around the beginning of May and be done in about two or three weeks. We knew our door was a special order and would take longer. Around the beginning of May we had not heard back from them at all so I contacted them. I was told they had signed a bunch of work right after we signed and that they were running behind. They came out to measure for the permit around that time and it did take over two weeks to get the permit from the city. By the beginning of June they hadn't started yet. I followed up several times with the project manager and was always told it would be any day. We were hoping to have my daughter's 16th birthday party the second weekend in June so they said they would try to get the patio done for that. The guy showed up to look at the area for the patio and didn't have any of the paperwork with him. He was subcontracted to do the job. We had initially received a hand drawing of the patio and deck but the project manager took it with him in May when he measured for the permit. I explained verbally the design of the patio. Materials were delivered a few days later and they started. When we came home from work the second night, it was pretty much done but didn't look like we remembered the drawing. I called the guy that did the job and he came over the next day with a drawing that looked like what we wanted but still didn't match what we had. At this point the only way to fix it was to tear it all up and redo it completely. We had them put some extra stones on the pit to try to make it closer to what we initially wanted and left it at that. The deck was started some time in June. The workers were subcontracted and would show up around ten or ten-thirty in the morning and work about four or five hours then leave. One morning one of them took a nap on the hill in our side yard. Our neighbor took a picture of it and sent it to us at work. A huge bobcat sat in our backyard for about three weeks. Our backyard was completely torn up. Some days workers didn't even show up. The deck flooring had nails missing and the quality of work was poor. Around the second week in July one of the other project supervisors called to apologize and said if they didn't show up the next day he would replace them. They didn't so another crew was hired to come in and finish. It was the same group that did the patio. They finished in about a week. After they left that last day we did a walkthru and found nails not hammered in all the way and uneven railings on the stairs. We had pretty much had it at this point and the owner called us to ask what they could do to make it right. We were so frustrated we just wanted it done and them out of there. They did try to fix things but at that point it was too little too late. It was July and we signed with them in the beginning of April. They did come fix the nails and railings and reseeded our yard for us. When the door came in we were at work when they brought it to install. We had already missed too many other days from stuff that happened with the deck. Our daughter sent us a picture of the door once it was installed and it was the wrong door so they had to reorder it. They ended up only charging us the cost of the door and no labor costs because of the mixup. So the entire experience was a nightmare. The end product is nice but what we went through to get it was not fun. It was very frustrating to have to constantly follow up with them on everything.

Description of Work
They built a composite deck and a paver patio with a fire pit and put a new front door in.

Category decks, remodeling

10/25/2012

ROBERT S.

insist

Description of Work
We had Builders Unlimited to our house on Thurs. 10/18 for an estimate, I asked the person who called to confirm the appointment how long the estimate would take she said "1 hour". The salesman was in our house for an hour and forty minutes, I told the guy when he walked in we were only wanting an estimate we were not making a decision that evening. When at the end of this ordeal we thanked him and told him we would let them know once we had all the estimates he acted crushed "Have I offended you?" "Do we not make a quality product?" I felt like I was a girl that had turned a guy down for a date and the guy was BEGGING!! I told him we would have our answer by Tuesday 10/23. We actually made our decision to go with another company based on the low-key professionalism of the other company on Sunday 10/21. On Monday evening the salesman followed up Mon. evening and I told him our decison, I thought that was the end of it. On Thursday evening I had THREE voice mails from the sales staff acting like they were setting up an appointment for an estimate, I told her we have already had an estimate from their company & we were going with another company, I thought that would be the end NOT even CLOSE!! Less than 5 minutes later their project manager called and insisted he know the reason we weren't buying from them. I practically had to threaten him to get rid of him. If you contact this company BEWARE!!!

Category remodeling, replacement windows

07/13/2012

HL(ROY) M.

They were very prompt with the estimate. They were responsive, which is something that I really appreciated. I have found that some other companies do not even return calls.

Description of Work
I called Builders Unlimited to get an estimate for a deck remodel and addition.

Category decks, remodeling

06/07/2012

Erin A.

Overall, the experience with the estimate was unusual. The manager came to give us our estimate and spend atleast 2 hours in our home! He was nice and outgoing, however the appointment got out of hand. I sat down to look at pictures of previous work and that even took 30 min. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with most of the pictures. The worst part was that once we sat down to look at numbers, the price was completely unreasonable for the paver patio that wasn't as big as I wanted it (he told me what I wanted would cost 30k) and that would be installed around our existing concrete patio. I knew that once he told me I would have to pay 30k for a paver patio approx 600 sq ft. I was NOT going to hire this company. We were given an estimate of 10K for barely any new patio! After I had heard it all, he presented me with a form that was somewhat deceptive. I asked what it meant and he told me that if I signed it then I agreed to hire the company and COULD NOT get services from another company once I signed. Why would you try to bully people into signing the very day you get an estimate. And this gentleman knew I had another contractor coming. That was the icing on the cake. I do not appreciate pushy salesman.

Description of Work
Estimate for landscaping and installation of new paver patio

Category hardscaping

03/20/2012

Pat G.

They were very nice, they came in on time and and did a good job. The job took longer than expected because there was delay in getting some materials, but they were very good about keeping me updated with the project!

Description of Work
We hired them to change our bathtub to a shower, as well as change the toilet and the flooring.

Category home remodeling

Thank you for letting us remodel your bathroom. In some instances some material are special ordered and takes alittle longer then normal material. I'm glad you liked your bathroom work and thank you for adding your comments on Angies List. We look forward to doing business with you in the future. Thank you, Builders Unlimited, LLC

03/15/2012

LINDA L.

I had my bathroom redone. I removed the wallpaper and had purchased some specific items that I wanted in the room- sink, facet, towel racks. I told Matt, the owner, the 'look' I was going for and he gave me a detailed estimate of what the charges would be. They gutted the bathroom except for the shower. They painted the room, set and grouted ceramic, set the vanity, toilet, light fixtures and wall fixtures. Matt made me a beautiful vanity which he matched to the antique mirror that went in the bathroom. Matt was easy to reach by text, email and phone. He called me when he found a great deal for me on a new door. The job took a little bit longer that originally thought but that was because of the special finish that he put on the vanity and I asked for a special finish on my shower. Matt's goal was to give me a bathroom that I would be happy with and he attained his goal! I already have another job for him to do for me and would not hesitate to call him again.

Description of Work
Bathroom remodel, lay and grout ceramic tile, paint, gut bathroom, build custom vanity, install new door and toilet

Category fencing, home remodeling

We really enjoyed remodeling your bathroom and adding the special touches. We look forward to working with you in the future. Thank you for your comments. Builders Unlimited, LLC

06/24/2011

Patrice B.

I requested a free estimate for the siding and a window install through a referral service and Bo their project manager came out. He was running a little late but called me to tell me and then arrived right when he said he would. I was pleased with how professional he was and the quality of products that they offer. The price he provided was more than reasonable. I decided to go with another company that I had had experience with before (they replaced my roof), but I am going to contact Builders Unlimited again for future work that will need to be done on my house.

Description of Work
Estimate on siding and installation of 3 windows I already have.

Category fencing, remodeling, siding, replacement windows

Thank you so much for the compliment! We hope we can earn your business on your next project! Thank you, Builders Unlimited, LLC