EJ Crowley and Son Remodeling and Home Repair

Founded 1997 • With Angi since January 2012

4.3

1212 Camp Ave

Rockford, IL 61103

Father and Son Team for over 15 years. The son is a Graduate of Rock Valley College's Building Construction Management Program. "Like" our Facebook page "Benjamin and EJ Crowley Home Remodel and Repiar" to view our extensive before and after projects!

10/11/2020

Sharon V.

Never had a call to offer an estimate

Description of Work
Egress window

Category egress windows, garage builders

05/31/2014

Carl T.

Description of Work
He arrived late for our appointment. My daughter was home and showed the work I wished to have done. He said he would provide an estimate, and has not called back or returned my calls.

Category drywall

02/02/2014

Kimberly J.

We had a very little bathroom and the shower hadn't worked for nearly four years. We had a make shift shower in the basement. Over these four years we saved money to do the remodel. EJ was a wonderful person to talk with, as if he was family. We wanted to know if we could expand our bathroom by knocking out the wall next to a very small bedroom. After talking with us he left to come up with plans based on what WE said. He said it would work. Every wall was gutted down to the studs and the wall to the bedroom was taken down. The bathtub was removed and we decided to have a shower only. The shower was placed where the bedroom wall was removed. It was also decided that we could have a linen closet in the bathroom now as well. My wife was thrilled. Once everything was ruffed in, he sat down with us again and asked us what our ideas of designs were. After listening he asked us if he could put a design idea of his own in the bathroom. He gave us a rough sketch of his plans and we said yes. We went with an antique theme. We found an antique wash table that he took apart, cleaned, varnished, and turned into a sink. It is beautiful. The whole bathroom is incredible. I still feel, that every time I go in there, I am at somebody else's house or in a fancy hotel. By the way we love his added touches.

Description of Work
Complete remodel of our bathroom.

Category drywall

01/10/2014

Jennifer S.

It actually went very well. They used the existing foundation and they were able to build from that. E.J. is very accurate and thinks the project through and goes to extra lengths to make sure his customers are satisfied. The flooring and windows are remarkable! They are very personable and friendly to work with.

Description of Work
Room addition to the back of the house. They did such a wonderful job that it makes it very enjoyable to live in this room all year long.

Category remodeling, garage builders

02/13/2013

Lynn M.

We had bought the tile (glass and stone) for our kitchen and showed it to Mr. Crowley when he came for an estimate. Unfortunately, we nor Mr. Crowley knew too much about this type of backsplash. The stone needed to be pre-treated before grouting as it is porous and the grout gets absorbed into it. Menard's also did not tell us this when we bought it. Once the tile was installed (in a very professional way) and the grout was applied, we then realized something was wrong. The grout had seeped into the stone. After some calling around and looking on the internet, we found a chemical scrub that can be used to fix it. They stayed late to scrub the tile and never complained or left it for us to deal with. The backsplash looks great.

Description of Work
We had a kitchen backsplash installed.

Category ceramic tile

08/16/2012

Rachel M.

Quote was far better than the other 2 I had obtained. Cost of materials was very honest (down to the penny), they purchased extra just in case and didn't charge me for it, and was not overcharged for labor either. They didn't ask for any money upfront (like their competitors do) but charged me after the work was done. I was very happy with the work, and even happier to see that they also do exterior painting, decks, and many other types of work that I need done as well. I will certainly use them for all of my future home repair needs. An essential contact to have if you own a vintage home.

Description of Work
Performed exterior replacement of rotted out boards on my older home.

Category woodworking

03/23/2012

Dawn Z.

I would not recommend them, and I was completely unhappy with them. You have to pay cash, and they are not really plumbers. You also have to buy all the supplies they need, and I feel as if that is not professional.

Description of Work
I contacted them to do some plumbing work.

Category handyman service

This member contacted us through Menards Home Center; they wanted a quote to install two bath and shower surrounds. They purchased a home needing a lot of repairs and we quoted 700.00 for installing one surround. We met the following day at Menards Home Center. We showed both the clients the surround that would fit their bathroom. At no time did we make any reference to being plumbers and we also made it a point of saying we were not plumbers. The following day, we arrived to replace one surround. When talking to the client, he had said he worked at a hardware store in Woodstock for a couple of years. Assuming with this knowledge, he understood the hardware needed to make the necessary changes. Upon arrival they purchased a completely different tub from what we had suggested. We only make suggestions to customers, but when you have a wider tub; things will need to be moved to accommodate the wider tub. That is when our quote changed from 700.00 to 900.00 dollars. The difference was to remove the toilet and vanity to set the tub at which point he wanted to install new sub-flooring; which was not discussed in our prior meeting. Once the sub-floor was installed, we mixed mortar not cement. In her report, she implied that we used cement and ruined her tub. We explained to both the clients at Menards that mortar takes the spring out of any fiber glass tub surround, which is common practice. After the tub was installed level, we made a list of materials that were needed to connect the drain. We were willing to pick up the materials, but the client insisted that he would. The next day he only purchased a small amount of the materials needed that we had suggested. I assumed with his hardware background, he understood what was needed, but we had given him a detailed list regardless. Our payment arrangement was half down upon arrival to the job site and the rest of the balance upon completion. We do not accept checks, only cash, because of problems we have had in the past. When I showed the client that they had purchased a wider bath surround; the showerhead no longer was centered over the drain. At that time, the client totally lost his composure. It was at this time, I requested my down payment. The client handed me 700.00 dollars and wanted us to leave, but we were only requesting 350.00. If everything was torn up to such an extreme, why did he pay us in full? Also, his wife was only present at Menards and about one hour of the first day we had arrived. Maybe she could have calmed down her husband’s anger and frustrations at having purchased the wrong tub surround and not following our suggestions. Our trucks are for hauling tools and materials, not hauling the small things that we had entrusted the client to purchase. Every job we do is customized to each customer’s needs and therefore it is impossible for us to carry everything for everybody at one time. It simply is not feasible. We will not be screamed at nor humiliated by no one. I am curious to why she wrote this report when she was not present during the incident, nor was she during the majority of the work. As stated previously, she was only present during the first meeting at Menards and one hour the first day of tub installation.

02/19/2012

Heather H.

We liked what they did with my mothers bathroom. They redid the walls, installed a handicap shower and a new sink with extra support so my mom could lean on it and not hurt herself. They also installed grab bars and a tall toilet to help her manoever better. They did such a good job with all the finish work we hired them for our bathroom remodel. We took our bath down to studs and started from scratch. They let me do the demo to save money. they also worked very well with the other contractors, plumbers and electricians. We had a new window, tub, sink, toilet, heated floor and tile. We have been very happy with everything they have done for us. They even made custome doors for our medicine cabinet and laundry chute. We had them a glass block window in the bath and basement and they look great.

Description of Work
We had EJ and Ben remodel my mom's bath to make it more accessable. Then we had them remdel our bathroom.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, woodworking, glass block, interior painters

02/13/2012

Trent F.

Overall experience was excellent. EJ and Ben started when they said they would and came out every day until the project was completed. They gave me multiple options and were patient with me when I had questions and changed my mind on what I wanted. Also they were one dollar off in their estimate of the cost of supplies!

Description of Work
Complete bathroom remodeling. EJ and Ben tore out walls, built new walls around a new shower, new tile floors and everything else. Bathroom looks fantastic! They worked around my schedule, listened to all my concerns, gave me options and time to talk about multiple possibilities. EJ and Ben were by far the best contractors, personally and professionally, I have ever worked with. They are currently doing some work on my sister's house and I hope to have them work on my downstairs bathroom. Check them out on facebook. There should be pictures of my bathroom (walls are light blue-gray) on there as well as my contact information if anyone has questions. Thanks EJ and Ben!

Category drywall, remodeling

02/05/2012

Kelli L.

Ben and EJ did an exceptional job on our bathroom remodel. They took time to explain what they were doing and going over all of our options. They went out of their way to save us money wherever possible and also provided receipts for all of the materials. The #1 word I would use to describe them is trustworthy. We had no problem giving them our garage code and having them work while we were gone. The highlight of my day, while they were working, was returning home from work and seeing the days progress. The bathroom turned out better than we could have hoped for. They have done several other smaller jobs at our home and we look forward to them doing more.

Description of Work
Ben and EJ performed a bathroom remodel for us in the fall. They did a complete demolition removing the old vanity, tub, toilet, drywall, and floor even replacing some rotted sub-floor. They also removed a small dividing wall, giving the bathroom a more spacious feel. They also replaced some faulty plumbing. They hung all new drywall, put in new fixtures, tiled the floor and walls, installed new lighting, and painted.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, handyman service, remodeling, ceiling fans, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors

01/24/2012

Susie P.

Both EJ and Ben are very professional and extremely ethical. They also find the best pricing on goods to help keep projects costs economical. I am very comfortable to let them work without being home. My kids and my dogs love them too and get very excited when they see the truck pulling up into the driveway! They are like family!

Description of Work
EJ & Ben can do it all! They have put in a new bathroom in our basement and did 95% of the work to include laying the tile, installing the toilet & shower and the finish carpentry. It turned out beautifully! EJ also installed our new water softener, fixed cabinents, corrected some electrical issues and hung new bedroom doors. ( I would love for him to replace the woodwork but that project is down the road). As EJ is also a skilled finish carpenter, he designed and constructed safety gates for our casement floor to ceiling windows for our children. These gates flow with the design of the house and look as if they will built with the house while keeping my young children safe from a fall. EJ has even come to our rescue on a weekend when a water line broke causing a flood in a bathroom. He saved us a tremendous amount of money! Both EJ & Ben partially renovated our kitchen by removing a wall. This project included demolition, drywall & plaster and painting. In addition, they helped us to locate a piece of granite to match the existing granite in place. They also installed it beautifully. Ben recently repainted our main floor. His hand is incredibly steady and the lines are perfect! He saved us a ton in labor costs! I wish that I would done that project some time ago. Ben is now our go-to choice for any painting, interior or exterior.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, drywall, egress windows, picture framing, handyman service, remodeling, deck cleaning, garage builders, woodworking, interior painters, cabinet refacing, doors

Redo Home Services

We’re not your average kitchen cabinet refacing company serving the Chicagoland suburbs. As a division of Krumwiede Home Pros, we’ve got an unparalleled track record of TRUST within the community. Here’s a snapshot of our background and reputation: In business since 1953 An A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau Winner of national awards that place us among the best home improvement in the country… plus, coveted local awards such as “Best Picks” Hundreds of online reviews—the overwhelming majority being raving 5-star feedback It took a long time and plenty of work to build our reputation. That’s how you know we’re the cabinet restyling contractor you can trust to do your project RIGHT. If you want a high-end cabinet refacing experience in the Chicagoland suburbs, reach out to Redo Cabinets for a free quote.

Flooring Trends

We offer a variety of flooring options to fit every style and budget. We are a family owned and operated business with 25 years of flooring installation and sales experience.

Ken's Interior Painting

Professional interior painting, minor drywall repair and refinishing services. Years of experience in the painting industry and the ability to get your job done efficiently and provide great customer experience.

2022 Super Service Award