We will sanitize the workspace and all areas touched
We accept remote payment

FRACTAL RENOVATIONS INC

With Angi since July 2019

3.9

1221 NW 122nd St

Seattle, WA 98177

Fractal Renovations is a full-service general contractor specializing in home remodeling, addition and new construction projects. We welcome condo work, and light commercial contracts as well. Between owner and employees we provide 60 years of combined experience. We execute quality work on time and within your budget. We are happy to assist with design or provide referrals. Please contact us for a free quote, - Team Fractal ...

05/16/2022

Richard B.

Blake came up with a very effective drain system that directed the water away from my garage door and into a drain field which he designed. Roberto was the foreman and he was prompt and completely professional. They came when they said and stuck around until I was happy with everything. Their cement work was particularly good. I've already told someone about them and will not hesitate to use Blake and Fractal again. These are good people.

Description of Work
I had a persistent flooding problem in my garage from water runoff.

Category ceramic tile, pavers, gravel

02/02/2021

Douglas A.

A remarkable mess. I hired Blake of Fractal Renovations Inc. in September. with a review of the work. It wasn't much. Essentially 3 items: 1. Remove 100 years of linoleum flooring w/ 1 layer of plywood in the middle. Sand & refinish fir floors beneath. 2. Put in new granite countertops 3. Stain cabinets to match or at least go well with the newly finished floors. His crew appears to be unskilled laborers who he teaches along the way. One guy spends his day in video calls with someone (presumably his girlfriend) and does his work with one hand. Everyone's very charming. When the cabinets got stained I looked at them and was stunned that each one was a different color. I found a smartphone app that took a photo and would give yuo the precise Pantone color of what you were looking at. I scanned each cabinet and got a menagerie of Pantone colors. I took these images to 3 stain companies to try to figure out how this could happen. No one had a clear answer. It shouldn't be possible. The best they could come up with is someone mixed two or more stains into one can and then failed to shake or adequately mix the mixture so each time a brush went into the can, a different color came out. Even with mixing stains, if they then shook the mixture, the result would be all the cabinets would be one color. So Blake came out and said he felt the cabinets looked fine. I pointed out to him that he has earlier in the year told me that he was color blind, so what on earth was he talking about? I showed him the Pantone analysis that had textual descriptions of each color. Clearly these were different words describing the colors. Blake relies heavily on his smile and charm, but they were wearing a little thin at this point. He had his crew come out and sand the stain off. After 3 days of intense noise they had sanded 5-6 of 30 surfaces. Basic math suggested that the resultant cabinets would be more expensive than replacing them with new ones. I called him and suggested this. He go quite excited and rushed out showing me brochures of a couple cabinets shops. I was puzzled about the excitement. I pointed out that I was not going to be buying new cabinets, but he was. Whoooa! He didn't like that idea at all. He was back to sanding. He said he'd have the guys speed up. The next day his team blew through the veneer on the cabinets ruining them. Blake said he'd build new doors and surfaces in his basement. I pointed out I didn't hire him to do cabinetry but if he felt he could do a good job, I'd accept this arragement. Several weeks went by including the Christmas & New Years break. Remember I hired him in September. I got a text message indicating he wasn't happy with the result and would find a cabinet expert to do the work. A few weeks later a fellow who appeared to be very experienced in cabinets came out and looked at things. He surmised that demolishing the granite and cabinets and replacing them with new would be roughly the same price as fixing the existing and staining them in place. He put together a bid for Blake who then sent me a photo of newspaper article about a company that sold replacement cabinet doors. No mention of the cabinet expert of his bid. Clearly Blake didn't want to pay for doing the job right so he was trying to convince me that doors.com or whatever was the way to go. Blake is not honest with his customers. His crew is not skilled. They have no idea when they are out of their depth on a construction project. They just do as they're told and Blake appears not to understand when he's out of his depth. They just march on creating more and more problems at greater and greater expense. I'm referring this to Labor & Industries and his insurance company. I fully expect this to go to litigation (court). This is absurdly time consuming, frustrating, and expensive. To suggest I would not recommend this company is a hilarious understatement.

Description of Work
Light kitchen remodel: remove linoleum flooring, new granite counters, stain cabinets

Category home remodeling

We professionally refinished this customer’s cabinets and they looked great to us. However, the customer was unhappy with the typical color variance of natural stained wood. We offered to pay for replacement doors to resolve the issue.

09/16/2020

Deborah P.

Blake came out promptly for an overall assessment of our existing shower's condition, had a plumber checking the condition of the drain, and had a crew out within a week or so to tear out the old shower and build the new one. He was easy to work with, always responsive by phone/text, and was very helpful suggesting replacements for the tile, accents, etc. And his crew was fast and professional. The entire tear out and rebuild only took about 4 days, and the new shower looks great.

Description of Work
Custom bathroom shower rebuild

06/23/2020

Sarah L.

We hired Blake to come do some remodeling work for our house. I prepared a three page document of individual punch-list type items for this project so there would be absolutely zero confusion about the scope of the work required. Blake gave us a mid-range quote compared to the other quotes we received and he had reasonable reviews, so we hired him. We signed and dated the full scope of work on 1/5/2020. Blake assured me in writing via SMS that he would not go over budget, and if he did, he would “eat the difference.” Some of the early work went well. The demo was done and one of his crew, Bret, did an excellent job finishing one of the rooms that had previously had wood paneling. The tiling in the upstairs bathroom is quite nice. But the project quickly went south as it became obvious that Blake was unable to manage so many moving parts in a project of this size. Due to Covid-19, we had to move out into an AirBnB for much of the construction. (There was simply no place to go during the day anymore.) This was fine, but I kept asking Blake when the house would be liveable again to return to, and he kept telling me that it was “almost done.” I asked if we could move back in on March 31 - almost two weeks later than we had planned to move back - and he said “absolutely” and so we did. We returned, completely shocked, to a house that was filled with power tools, people still working, furniture strewn everywhere, and the house was itself completely filled with dust and debris. It was completely filthy and for Blake to think that that was okay for us to return to is completely out of line. Blake did not communicate well during the scope of the project; he kept telling me what he thought I wanted to hear instead of telling me anything that was accurate. There were many items that were done completely incorrectly. The electrician installed a 110 outlet as a 220 outlet, which caused lightbulbs to blow out in an explosive fashion. One of the new heaters was wired incorrectly. The upstairs hallway light was broken, even though it wasn’t at all part of the scope of the project, as was the existing relay switch. Blake tried to fix this by installing the cheapest light Home Depot sells with an incredibly cheap light switch. The new light fixture in the upstairs bathroom was installed incorrectly and because of this, the fan is already broken and we will have to replace it. Twice they broke and lost the sensors for our security system on the windows of the house. The flooring was installed poorly in many spots and we will still have to get this fixed. The fridge was moved roughly and the handle was broken off, and several times they tried to cut corners and patch improperly placed moldings instead of re-doing it correctly. Painting was done without any dropcloths in several spots. And finally, much of the work was done without actually consulting the punch list of items to do. We had several areas that were supposed to be widened or altered in some way and the crew simply re-framed and put flooring down in the existing footprint. I kept asking Blake “when will the office door be widened?” and he kept saying “soon” but one day I showed up to the house and it was re-framed and the floor was put down… without doing the basic framing work. His crew had no idea they were supposed to widen the door. Too many shortcuts were taken by the end: random moldings or fixtures used instead of what we actually wanted or had bought, etc. I still don’t think Blake read through the list of punch list items we had signed and agreed upon; he kept acting surprised when I asked him why something wasn’t done… as if he didn’t realize it was part of the scope of the project. Blake is completely incapable of managing finances. He kept assuring me that he was under budget, until one day when the budget had 8K left it and he sent me a bill for 12K. We were shocked and when I showed him receipts and his bills so far, he tried to guilt me by telling me he couldn’t make payroll. I pointed out to him that much of the reason he was likely over budget is because he kept doing things incorrectly and it takes money and time to fix problems. Certainly paying your crew to do things twice is going to cause you to go over budget. We refused to pay him for the rest of the project until it was done even though he kept trying to ask us for more money without actually finishing the work. We had a few days left of work that we had postponed finishing due to the stay at home order. Blake was supposed to come finish the office area, do touch up paint, seal the bathroom tile, finish the stairs, etc. We finally had decided to get another AirBnB to allow Blake to finish this work, and we reached out to him to schedule this time. We gave him several options for windows to work and he chose the time that worked for him, and assured us it would be done before we put down a deposit on the AirBnB. But then when I took the kids out of town for the time period we had all mutually agreed upon, Blake’s guys were a complete no-show for the first two days. When it became apparent that he wasn’t going to show up, my husband called and texted him multiple times. He didn’t respond that day and then later claimed he “lost his phone” and then when we confronted him about missing the window of time to work, he angrily told us some nonsense about how “if we want to ride the construction ride, we have to wait in line” which was just bonkers, as we had scheduled this time with him weeks in advance, paid for an AirBnB to accommodate it, and then he ghosted us and blamed our inability to wait for him. Blake seems reasonable, and maybe if he’s doing a small, focused job, he would be okay. But he was certainly unable to manage many moving parts, communicate effectively and truthfully with either his crew or with us, and his electrical sub-contractor was a walking disaster that we had to hire Mirsky Electric to come clean up after. He was totally unable to stay on budget, and he finally got belligerent when we confronted him about not finishing the job on the agreed-upon timeframe. I am relieved we did not give him the final payment, as we are now having to use that money to hire other contractors to come clean up after the mess he left.

Description of Work
General remodel of house. The work included some big items: new ceilings installed, new flooring installed, re-building some stairs, built-ins, and one bathroom remodel. Also many smaller items, including things like fixing a small spot from water damage, installing closet doors, re-sealing a shower, etc.

Category remodeling

We tried to set things straight with this customer however they refused to allow us reasonable time and scheduling flexibility to complete the punch-out. The customer threatened to issue this negative review despite being quite happy with the work last week. I don’t think it’s fair to impugn our reputation without first allowing us a modicum of flexibility with scheduling specialty sub contractors to complete any corrections etc.

08/07/2019

Roy L.

Excellent and prompt.Blake was a pleasure to work with on short notice.

Description of Work
Bathroom Fan Replacement and Toilet Repair

Category drywall, home remodeling

08/01/2019

Ian A.

I had some huge holes in the drywall that needed to be patched up after a lead-pipe replacement project was completed by plumbers. Blake accepted the job and came over the very next day. He was courteous, polite and worked diligently to complete the project in two days. Holes were patched in the washroom, under the kitchen sink and in the bathroom. What I noticed about Blake is that he was very organized and worked hard to keep the mess in my house to a bare minimum!

Description of Work
Patching drywall

Category drywall

07/24/2019

Kim A.

Blake was very prompt in his reply to my inquiry. I was impressed with this as most of the time, this is not the case. He asked some very important questions including if we has access to another bathroom during the remodel. When I realized the scope of my work, I decided to wait until fall to do the project. Thank goodness he asked the right questions! I was very pleased with our conversations. Blake seems like the real deal!

Description of Work
Bathroom inquiry