Excel Chimney & Fireplace Service

Founded 1980 • With Angi since June 2005

5233 Kirkwood Pl N

Seattle, WA 98103

Since 1980 Excel Chimney has provided the Seattle, WA area with chimney services for homes of all sizes. We specialize in tuck point. Our team of experts can handle a wide range of chimney and fireplace repairs and restoration. Our customers are our main priority and your satisfaction is always our goal. Services we provide: • Masonry Restoration • Chimney Rebuilds & lining • Chimney Top Repair • Custom Brickwork • Earthquake Repair and Retrofit • Metal Chimney Liners • Waterproofing We are able to inspect and provide you with a free estimate on necessary repairs. We know you'll find our rates affordable and our service exceptional. Excel Chimney& Fireplace Service is happy to provide you with references so you can be sure you're getting the best service. We are licensed and a proud member of the Better Business Bureau. Call today for a free estimate!...

07/22/2019

Sharon R.

Estimate was fine. no problem.

Description of Work
estimate chimney repair

07/10/2017

JEFF S.

After a small slip of the start date due other commitments, Excel completed all aspects of the job professionally and with obvious expertise. The crew arrived promptly every day and were careful to leave a clean worksite every night. The re-constructed top matches the original brickwork perfectly; a chimney which had been neglected for many years should now last for many more.

Description of Work
Initial inquiry was to fix a chimney where water was leaking into the house during storms; total work entailed replacement of the chimney above the roofline, adding earthquake bracing, and re-pointing older remaining brickwork.

04/03/2017

Steven S.

Very well.

Description of Work
Chimney cap installed. Caulked seams. Pressure washed and sealed brick. New flashing at chimney. Home built 1969. Reroofed mid 90's. Old work done improperly and had leaks.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair, fireplaces

03/22/2017

Theresa B.

Great - quick and noticed additional caulking which they gave me the option of adding.

Description of Work
Chimney tuckpointing and cap installation.

04/11/2016

Ekaterini P.

They provided a very quick service at a reasonable price - they did necessary repairs, did not attempt to grossly extend the job (as some did!) and were realistic about the expected outcomes (they warned me that the repairs, though necessary, may not entirely fix a leak in the basement). They also came out again within 24 hours when I noticed an extra damaged patch - which they fixed that day. Very quick, reasonable, and clean!

Description of Work
Capped chimney, and ground out and re-pointed damaged areas

08/28/2015

Raymond B.

It went smoothly, they even patched up some spots that needed to be patched.

Description of Work
They put a liner in the chemistry because it had an expose beams and exposing the house.

Category chimney repair, fireplaces

07/13/2015

Nickolas B.

The job did not go as planned. We ran into some issues with the demolition that weren't expected that caused some problems. But Phil was great. He made sure everything was done right and was fixed. He was responsive, even helping us out with some issues on the weekend. The project certainly took on a much larger scope then we had anticipated, but I appreciated Phil's dedication to making sure it was done right, his professionalism, and standing behind his work.

Description of Work
Excel demo'd an old chimney that was in the center of the house that had vented the old oil furnace.

Category masonry, chimney repair

02/10/2015

ERNIE C.

They did a great job and kept everything very clean.

Description of Work
cleaned chimney

02/03/2015

david F.

Three callbacks required. Failed to acid wash.

Description of Work
Chimney retuck, cap

06/02/2014

Mark O.

Customer service, price, and performance-on-the-job were all excellent! The tasks were completed as promised and the technicians were friendly and professional. Our chimney-mortar has now been tuck-pointed, a new cap has been installed and we’re ready to sell the house. As a small-business, I think Excel’s prices are below the competition and they give more attention to detail. Also, I recommend this company 100% for any homeowner who wants to have their chimney in top condition! (PS: Have this work done before the winter arrives, or before your chimney deteriorates beyond-repair!)

Description of Work
Excel tuck-pointed the mortar on our chimney and provided a new chimney cap.

01/10/2014

TODD C.

I called after a windstorm, and found Excel Chimney. They picked up the phone immediately, and came out to see the damage. Dick was fast, courteous, and helpful. He gave me a free estimate right on the spot, within 3 hours of my call, even though he had to go up on the roof (not easy) to do so. He came back a day later with a new cap, installed it, and came in under budget. I was really impressed with his professionalism and knowledge of chimneys, fireplaces and brickwork. I may have him come back and do some interior work on my fireplace. Highly recommend.

Description of Work
Repaired broken chimney cap, chimney repair.

08/26/2013

William H.

I should start by saying that this project was more expensive than I was anticipating. I got four bids, all of which were approximately in the same range. Apparently, tuck pointing an old chimney in Seattle is just a pricey venture. In the end, I'm very happy I went with Excel. They were not the cheapest option, but Dick was the only contractor who was certain that a full rebuild of the chimney would not be required. I had also heard from a contractor friend that Excel's work was exemplary (an assessment supported by reviews on Angie's List). My experience bore this out. The crew showed up promptly on Monday morning ready to work. They kept the site clean and neat throughout the three and half day project. I was at work when most of the work was done, but the crew was happy to answer my questions when I had them. Most importantly, they showed real pride in their work. When I spoke to site lead near the end of the project, I could tell he was genuinely pleased with the way the work had gone. He looked up at the nearly completed chimney with a true sense of satisfaction. And he was right: the chimney looked great.

Description of Work
Dick's crew removed about three feet of loose brick at the top of our chimney, cleaned it, and then relayed it. They reset the capping with a new sand/cement collar. They ground out the mortar joints and tuck pointed the top of the chimney to roof line. In addition, they tuck pointed 25% of the remaining joints to the ground. Finally, they installed new counter flashing at the roof.

02/25/2013

m B.

Called four times over three months to talk to someone about some work. Each time talked to a wonderful person in the office who was going to have Dick call me back. NEVER heard back.

Description of Work
None- never herd back despite multiple calls

Category chimney repair

I am sorry and embarrassed we didn't get back to you. We try to always get back to our customers promptly. We've been very busy, but customer responsiveness is always a top priority, along with outstanding work and customer satisfaction. - Dick Excel Chimney Owner

12/19/2012

Julie B.

It went well. Dick was on time, was professional and completed the tasks as described in a highly acceptable manor.

Description of Work
Dick performed the following tasks: -Removed the loose collar material and installed a new sand/cement collar. -Extended the existing clay flue tile one foot by caulking an additional piece to it, & reinstalled the existing metal cap. -Wire brushed the chimney to remove the heavy moss. Applied a siloxane based masonry water proofer to the bricks and mortar, top to roof.

10/12/2012

MARIA R.

It was the first time we had used them. They did a great job. They were on time and cleaned up.

Description of Work
The put new flashing on my chimney. They also put in a liner for the flue and coated the chimney crown with a cement based water proofer.

06/06/2012

Peter G.

Excel was great. The masons were prompt, capable, and friendly, and Dick (the owner) came over daily to see how things were going. Dealing with Dick was a pleasure. He was cordial, explained things that I had questions about, and gave us a straightforward estimate quickly. We never felt like we were being and quot;soldand quot; on anything -- we could tell that we were getting the straight story. We also got a quote from a second company that was highly rated on Angie's list, but we ended up going with Dick because-- He was 5-10% cheaper, -- He could help us by touching up the mortar on our walls, and-- We felt like he was totally straight with us: the lack of 'salesmanship' made it easier to trust him.

Description of Work
We had completely neglected our brick chimney for sixteen years, so it was in visible need of considerable mortar replacement near the top, and the very topmost 5 rows of brick were actually somewhat loose. The folks from Excel removed the top 5 rows, cleaned the old mortar off the bricks, and re-installed them with new mortar. They also ground away the decaying mortar in the area below the top, and replaced it with new mortar. They they installed a mounded layer of cement over the topmost layer of brick, so that water would run off instead of gradually weakening the mortar. They also installed a stainless steel chimney cap over the opening so that rain wouldn't continue to puddle in the fireplace. Finally, they applied a layer of invisible waterproof sealant to the surface of the brick so that we wouldn't need to make additional repairs for a long time. We also had some spots that needed mortar touch-up on our siding, and the Excel folks were able to do that for us (unlike the other company we got a quote from, which was a good outfit but didn't do anything except chimneys).

10/27/2011

Michelle M.

I like them very, very much. I think they do outstanding work, they have a good demeanor and work well with clients. They answer all the questions and they are very responsive.

Description of Work
Excel Chimney & Fireplace repaired my chimney and did retucking services.

Category masonry

10/04/2011

Alexandra R.

Excellent job done, highly recommended. This was straight-forward and smooth from obtaining the bid to the job completion. My chimney had apparently sustained damage from the Nisqually Earthquake and was leaning. You could see light between the bricks. An inspection had shown that some of the bricks were threatening to cave in towards the opening so it was a danger outside and inside and the fireplace could not be safely used. The bid was considerably lower than another one. The guys were very careful to protect the inside of my house by closing off the fireplace opening and covering the floors coming and going. They were also careful outside of plants and siding. I hardly knew they were around. The end result was a beautiful straight functioning safe chimney with attractive chimney caps. Based on the professionalism, quality of workmanship, respect for property, and great price, I do recommend this company for chimney repair.

Description of Work
CHIMNEY REPAIR, Tear down two to two and one half feet of the chimney, clean the brick and rebuild to the previous height, add clay flue tile caps (2) with a sand/cement collar. Attach stainless steel hoods to theflue tiles, grind out the remaining joints, from the relayed brick to the flashing, and tuck point.

07/26/2011

Rhoda B.

Of course, only time will tell whether this was, indeed, a superior effort. However, I must say I found the demeanor and depth of knowledge of the proprietor very impressive. He also came well recommended by a contractor friend of mine. The person who actually did the work also seemed to have his act together. I got a good explanation of the work to be done at the time of my initial consultation. Subsequently, the actual mortar/flashing work and the waterproofing (which had to be done a few days later, after the first phase had a chance to dry) were accomplished in the agreed timeframe and done tidily.

Description of Work
They did some waterproofing, reflashing and repair to the mortaring on the outside of a chimney wall that had been similarly treated (but not very well) by a different company only two years ago...there had still been some leaking issues.

10/08/2008

Jennifer L.

He did a terrific job. He is a very nice guy.

Description of Work
They put flashing around the base of the chimney.

08/18/2008

RICHARD S.

They were quick and polite. They also cleaned up any mess they made. They just charged me 100 dollars to fix it and I thought it was well worth it for the time they spent.

Description of Work
They came out to my home I could not get the grate closed all the way inside the fireplace so they came out and spent at least two hours working on it to get it straightened out.

09/06/2007

Beth T M.

Dick was very prompt in our appointment, the amount billed was the amount estimated, and the estimate was reasonable. However the work was done by an apprentice who missed some cracks/holes in the chimney outside (up high) which were obvious from the ground, and the work on the fireplace facing inside was extremely sloppy; he left mortar all over the bricks, missed a lot of spots where the mortar was crumbling, and pulled up floor tiles around the fireplace (for what reason?). I was going to replace the floor anyway, so didn't care about that, but I had to call to ask them to complete the work. He said "Well, Dick just said to touch it up, on the estimate". Dick was out of town on a vacation at this point, so I couldn't clear it up with him. They did finish the work on the facing and chimney. The last day they were there they cleaned out their equipment on my lawn and killed the grass. Also Dick sold me the wrong type cap for the direct vent fireplace I told them I was installing.

Description of Work
Tuckpointed chimney outside, fireplace facing inside; replaced crown and installed chimney caps(2).

06/06/2007

CATHERINE B.

Very courteous and were here on time, and did what they said they would.

Description of Work
Repaired a leak around the chimney. Flashing was not in place.

10/18/2006

JIM C.

I called twice; Excel Chimney did not return my calls.

Description of Work
My chimney needs repair: separation partition between two flues has collapsed.

06/24/2005

LISA D.

THE SERVICE WE RECEIVED WAS TERRIFIC AND VERY PROFESSIONAL. THE JOB LENGTH WAS ESTIMATED FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AND THEY COMPLETED IT IN THAT TIME FRAME, THEY WERE PROMPT AND COST WAS AFFORDABLE. THEY TOOK THE TIME TO REVIEW THE AREA AND PLACE DROP CLOTHES IN THE HOUSE TO SEAL OFF THE OPENING, THERE WAS NO AFTER RESULTS OF ASH OR SOOT VISIBLE.

Description of Work
WE HAD OUR CHIMNEY SWEPT, VENT COVER REPLACED AND THE CHIMNEY WAS SEALED AND CLEANED OUTSIDE AND INSIDE. SOME OF THE BRICKS WERE REPLACED AND REFITTED.

Category pet sitters, chimney repair