Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Get matched with top general contractors in South Boston, VA
There are 2 highly-rated local general contractors.
Recent General Contractors Reviews in South Boston
- Consumer Construction IncWe needed installation of interior French doors for a home office. The scope of the project included removal of existing casement/trim, installation of pre-hung French doors, and re-trim. We sought three estimates from local companies and found Consumer Construction most responsive to our needs. Installers were professional and were meticulous in ensuring no related damage to walls or hardwood flooring taking a craftsman approach to their work
- Power House Painting and Home ImprovementPaul and Gabriel arrived on time and were very professional. Both very respectful of the property and were meticulous with their work quality. Went over the work after completed and even had the Production Manager make a site visit upon completion. I wish I could have made the weather cooler for them but they were troopers. The whole process from quote to completed work is a well-oiled machine with Power House Painting + Home Improvement
- Power House Painting and Home ImprovementCharles and his crew did a great job for us. Both the staff in our home, the folks we dealt with on phone, Brian & Rick were all professional and polite. Charles and the men he worked with here were on time, careful of our property, and professional in all they did. We would definitely hire Power House Painting again
- Precision Fence, Deck & Floor SystemsArthur and Dee Dee were delight to work with and did a wonderful job repairing our deck. Arthur showed up as scheduled for the estimate, provided the estimate in follow up manner, and pricing was good. During the estimate, he suggest additional appropriate changes that improved the deck’s sturdiness. The work was done on time and of very high quality. They were receptive and answered all questions. What clenched the deal for us, was the teamwork and genuineness of this husband and wife team. They are a high performing class act. We would gladly use them again and recommended them to all
- Power House Painting and Home ImprovementExcellent. The quality of the work and the professionalism and care that the entire team put into the job was greatly appreciated.
- Medias Painting Contractor LLCGreat small business. Super job. Did the job quickly and professionally. Answered my messages promptly. Really great painters.
- Resident HandymanBob did a fantastic job on ALL the numerous projects he did for us. He was always on time, worked extremely hard, did exceptional high quality work, was knowledgeable and a wonderful teacher. He was so skilled in numerous projects I fired all other contractors and went strictly with Bob. He was exceptional at drywall, remodeled 2 bathrooms (plumbing, electrical & tile), a full kitchen (instillation of new cabinets, backsplash, lighting, electrical & plumbing), built custom window boxes and ceils) and lots and lots of drywall! He never called out, no showed or skimped on working hard. We still have a wish list of projects we intend to hire him for. If you need someone who can do it all...Bobs your man
- Exterior MedicsThe exterior Hardy Board installation was very good - timely and professionally done.The interior finishing of the screen porch was very spotty. It seemed that they did not understand how to do finish carpentry. The work dragged on for many months, and was full of problems, from ordering the wrong materials to not knowing what the correct order was for installing flooring, windows, inside panelling, etc. I would definitely use them for the exterior work, but not for the interior work
- Heinz Home Improvements and Services, Inc.Very well. We were able to coordinate everything by phone or email. He even coordinated with the Home Owners Association to ensure compliance with restrictions. When the gate was finished, I was notified and able to inspect prior to final payment. Will definitely use them again for this and other carpentry needs
- Blankson Home ImprovementWorst contractor ever! He breached our contract and made several fraudulent charges to my credit card that more than doubled our agreed contract price. He refuses to provide his insurance information and he damaged our house and lawn. The fence was poorly built and not to industry standards. After he overcharged me more than $6,000.00, he ghosted us and then gave the credit card company forged receipts that had information for a completely different person. He altered the contract by pen after it had been signed, but wasn't smart enough to follow the terms printed in the contract. Do not use this person, he is a criminal and will try to overcharge you while damaging your home and property in the process. He also goes by SOLOMON HOME IMPROVEMENT and is a complete scammer. Do NOT use Blankston Solomon for any work, I completely regret doing business with him. You can not find his business license with the BBB, he is a fraud
Contractors in South Boston
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and ScreensRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:Over the past 20 years, H R Stairs & Rails has completed more than 900 stair and railing projects under the direction of master craftsman Hooshang Rashidi. We take pride in our work and strive to exceed our client's expectations. We are "Staircase and Railing Builders". Our craftsmanship & attention to detail positively impacts the delivery of H R Stairs & Rails finished products, from complex staircase designs to small stair repair and baluster replacement. By concentrating all our efforts ..Recent Review:We are exceptionally pleased with Hooshang’s work. He was responsive, reliable, and meticulous. Our new wood handrails and iron ballusters look beautiful. We highly recommend him.Elaine H.
- Business Description:We offer QUALITY custom building at a fair price. Honest and reliable help that provides a service to you in a decent timeframe with great communication. We offer a wide variety of home improvement services. We take pride in our quality craftsmanship on each and every jobRecent Review:I called and spoke to Ray on October 11th and briefly described the work I want completed. He asked me to send him an email. I sent the email the same day we spoke. Today is October 30th and he has not responded to my emailBelinda L.
- Business Description:New business with an independent contractor with over 33 years of experience in painting.
- Recent Review:unknownLynnette W.
- Business Description:We have worked in homes ranging from $50,000 to $12,000,000! We have 4 carpenters and 4 painters and a long list of sub contractors in every division of construction. No job is too small or too large for us. We accept credit card, certified checks and money orders
- Business Description:Tom Lane Contracting, Inc. is a local family owned and operated business since 1995. Your Hometown Professional. We also offer a once a year home home inpsection to the home owners that wants to keep their family safe by maintaining thier home. Call for a free estimate. Licenced and InsuredRecent Review:They were ALWAYS on time. They kept us apprised of the progress. Totally cleaned up after themselves. The final result more than exceeded our expectations. As a matter of fact, they will return in February to complete another project for usAngela W.
- Business Description:May contact through email.Recent Review:Quality of work is poor and much has to be redone. Not sure if the work is shoddy because he walked out of the job and never returned to finish, or if he just does shoddy work as his method of operation. Some of the project was never even begun before he walked out on the job. Jerry told me he had to go to N. Carolina to do a "Jerusuleum" tile job, and never returned. However, everytime he hit me up for payment, whether it was the hr. rate ripoff, or at the point where payment was due, I always paid him the amt. he demanded on the same day requested. He walked off the job w/o completing the project and left a good amt. of work to be finished, although by this time I owed him very little money. Another warning, do not pay more than 1/3 up front, otherwise you're likely to end up in the same bind as me.Yet, he had no respect for how his erractic schedule negatively impacted & inconvienced me. He's all about self, whether it's buying him lunch, a hammock, carpet, & whatever else he can beat out of you. I would not recommend commissioning this co. to perform work on your home for any reason.There is a local tile store owned by an Italian family. Jerry called them "WAPS."I had Real Deal perform a small job previously, which was to install crown moulding on the first level. At no time prior to installation was I informed it would need to be re-caulked every year. Had I been told this, I likely would not have had it installed. Jerry informed me the incorrect kind of caulk was used, hence the cracking. <br /> <br /> I keep cases of bottled water in my garage. Jerry is an avid water drinker. I offered him some of the water. Social graces & polite equitte would have dictated he take no more than 2-3 bottles a day. Jerry practically cleaned me out in no time flat, & gave me every opportunity via directed & specific hints that he wanted more water. By this time, I decided to start buying gallon jugs, which isn't what he wanted. Adter twisting my arm to buy him water, to no avail, he said something to the effect of, "I guess I'll have to go buy water on my way over tomorrow. " By now, it's clear the type of person I'm dealing with so I say, "Yes, I guess you will." In my opinion, once he tags you as being a free hearted person, he's going to get all he can from you, yet, he's quick to say he's not finishing a project to specifications because he underestimated the amt. of material, and he wants you to pay him separately by the hour (plus go back & buy the additional material), above & beyond the original contractual agreeement, in order to get the job you originally contracted for. <br /> <br /> There were several places in the garage that were sloppy, obvious & in need of correction. Jerry acknowledged they needed attention. He told me I paid for only two (or however many) coats of mud, so he was satisfied to leave it flawed as it was. H'owner's are entitled to a proper job regardless the number of "coats" it takes, or whatever the case may be. He had the obligation to, in this particular instance, paint the ceiling properly. I don't know anything about how many coats of mud a ceiling requires, all I know is that I wanted it painted properly, but he was satisfied to walk away & leave it unslightly because "you paid for only two coats of mud." As the contractor, it is his responsibility to give me a quote that is sufficient to give me a quality job. This goes to his quality of workmanship, which means that you not only have to check behind everything, but that you likely have to engage in a debate as to how much more money it will cost to have the job done correctly because he's not applying the extra coat(s) for free because it's the right thing to do. Such costs should be built into the project, but not with Jerry. It has been my experience, that he will jump into your pocket every opportunity ("you should buy me lunch"),etc., and you're stuck because you want the job completed correctly. This is yet another way the cost of the job escalates once you're already stuck in a contract. Any reasonable h'owner. would expect that the, in this case, ceiling, would be painted responsibly whether it took half a "coat of mud" or five "coats." This is how the h'owner. is ripped off because Jerry then wants you to double back & pay him additional "for my time" for a job that should have been done correctly the first time. But for him to take the approach "you only paid for two coats of mud" is arrogant when what I actually paid for is for him to do it right the first time. Again...he acknowledged it needed at least one more coat; to his own admission he saw the imperfections. Nobody wants a half job. We work just as hard for our money as he does, and just as he wouldn't want anyone performing sloppy work on his behalf, we deserve quality as well. Between the hourly fee he calculates, & schemes such as the above, it's easy to spend quadruple the amount originally agreed upon, but by this time, you're between a rock & a hard place. My advice...don't start climbing the rock to begin with. Look someplace else. <br /> <br /> Jerry knows that I take my relationship with God and the church I attend seriously. When he leanred I contacted the BBB, he left a message on my v/m threatening, "I'll show up at your church, and we'll sit down and talk to the pastor." He went for the one thing he knows I cherish, and that's the above stated relationships. And for him to say "I'll show up" that's quasi threatening and intimidating. He was attempting to strong arm me into doing what he wanted me to do by threatening to go to an individual he perceived as an authority in my mind, the threat of which was supposed to cause me to change course. That in itself is unscrupulous and under-handed. I was offended that he would use these sanctities against me to manipulate my behavior into what he wanted to see happen. He hadn't even spoken with me, yet this was the msg. he left on my v.m. before ever talking the matter out with me. It's almost as though he was trying to inspire fear in me to act in accordance with how he wanted me to respond. <br /Marcelle C.
- Business Description:Full service carpentry firm with over 14 years of experience.Recent Review:unknownDavid E.
- Business Description:No longer in businessRecent Review:Marvin "Chris" Jones of Jones Flooring and Tile installed ceramic tile in my kitchen without removing existing linoleum. He said that it would be fine to leave down the existing flooring to save on labor costs. Mr. Jones presented to us that this new tile flooring would be so strong that you could probably drop a bowling ball on it and it would not likely crack. He presented that he was an expert in tile and that he was very good at installing it. He had done previous flooring work for me, laying laminate "wood" in 4 rooms prior to this. Within less than a week, it was obvious there were major issues with the ceramic tile job. Several parts of the floor were moving all around and the grout was coming up from the get go. He came back once to replace a few tiles, perhaps twice, and each time insinuated that we had walked on it early or something. Within perhaps 6 months, most tiles would move when you walked on them and some started cracking. Now, nearly every tile is cracked and the floor must be completely tore up. It is so embarrassing to me. A flooring expert told me that Mr. Jones used 1/4" duroc under the tiles when he should have used 1/2" inch. I have the invoice to prove that he did this. He also used only one pound of nails for the whole job when he should have used many more- 30 to 40 for each piece of duroc. Mr. Jones refuses to come back and fix it and each time I tried to discuss the issues with him he would either not return my call, tell me he was not working, and blame us for the damage. He insists it is all my fault for using "cheap" materials. However, Mr. Jones purchased and recommended all supplies. I was told at the flooring store that the type of tile he listed on my invoice is, in fact, a wall tile and not even for flooring. However, they also have no record of him purchasing this. Mr. Jones has a previous complaint filed which sounds so very much like my issue, except nearly every tile in my kitchen is cracked or broken. As far as the other jobs he did for us, the handrails were missing 2 rails. One had never been nailed in at all and the other one came out within a very short time. The toilet was attached to the floor almost diagonally, not straight at all. Also, one of the interior doors came of the hinges very quickly. Another door was put on so low that it has badly scraped my daughter's floor. A third door was installed up so high you can put your whole hand under the door! I even had Mr. Jones fix a bunch of spots n the drywall and most of those were not done properly. He also failed to unclog a sink but charged me for this. This man gets rude and somewhat threatening when you try to talk to him about problems with the work. He blames the homeowner for everything going wrong and refuses to accept that he is liableAlison H.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
There are so many options for paying contractors that it can be tricky to choose. Whether you choose cash, apps, or checks, there are ways to go about it safely and easily. From payment methods to payment terms, we’ve got your breakdown.
Find general contractors in
- Buffalo Junction
- Chase City
- Drakes Branch
- Charlotte Court House
- Dry Fork
general contractors in South Boston
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 1st choice remodeling &construction22922 benson terr
- 1st choice remodeling &construction
- C & K ECP INC5121 Honest Bob Rd
Maiden, North Carolina
- C & R Custom Framing CLASS A Builders4428 Shepherds Road
- Coastal Builders,Inc.146 Bay Dr.
White Stone, Virginia
- Creative Concepts LLCPO Box 1511
King George, Virginia
- Creative Construction and Remodeling of VA, LLC13609 Winterberry Rdg
- Cut-Right Construction LLC106 Hidden Lane
- C & K ECP INC
- H R Stairs & RailsPO Box 1410
- Hampton Enterprise LLC254 W Lawrence Harris Hwy
- Handy Works679 Holly Crest Dr
- Hanson & Ryan Builders LLC3232 Salty Way
- Harrison Contracting, LLCP.O. Box 70
- Hiatt Construction LLC527 Pine Spur Lane
- HomePro Builders50 Royal Elm Rd
Front Royal, Virginia
- H R Stairs & Rails
- Impact Homes of Virginia Impact Home Improvements10307 West Broad Street
- Impact Homes of Virginia Impact Home Improvements
- J & D Construction and Maintenance304 S Brown Street
- J and A Painting Incorporated12 Partlow St
- J and K Construction956 Neal Davis Rd
- James A TrowPO Box 152
- JMS Contracting1381 Ullainee Rd
- John Albert Furniture249 Albert Farm Rd.
- Johnny Werks1651 Mallory Rd
- J & D Construction and Maintenance
- Kevin's Custom Painting348 Jamestown Rd
Front Royal, Virginia
- Kevin's Custom Painting
- NSB Carpentry, LLC1208 Suffield Dr
Mc Lean, Virginia
- NSB Carpentry, LLC
- On The Nail Contracting14 Orchard Cove Road
Locust Hill, Virginia
- On The Nail Contracting
- R C CHILDRESS PAINTING & REPAIR13681 LITTLE PATRICK RD
Amelia Court House, Virginia
- R Parker Construction Company LLC2964 Cherokee Tr
- R.L. Reece Builders, LLC4930 chestnut fork road
- R.V.Tile2 east 18th st
Front Royal, Virginia
- RAINEY & SONS REMOLDING1524 Alvis Road
- R C CHILDRESS PAINTING & REPAIR
- s and w general contractors4479 Squirrel Pl
- Sean's Interior/Exterior Design Contractor14870 Mills Ct
Amelia Court House, Virginia
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
- shipwright servicesPO Box 41
- Stanley Contractors LLCPO Box 25
Vernon Hill, Virginia
- Stefan Home Service5901 Sheraton Cir.
- Sterling Bullock Handyman 180 Roberson Hollow Ln
Henderson, North Carolina
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire
- Stump & Sons Construction2103 Jeremy Creek Rd
- superior design1091 longview lane
- s and w general contractors
- The Honey Do Service, Inc. - Bristol, VA626 TN-126
- Tim's Quality Construction & RestorationPO Box 415
- Tom Lane Contracting Inc15287 Diascund View Trl
- Turn Key Property & Lifestyle Management, LLCPO Box 6087
- Turpin Constuction Company2945 Cottontown Rd
- The Honey Do Service, Inc. - Bristol, VA
- Wyatt inc home services8032 Crab Thicket Road
- Wyatt inc home services