Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Get matched with top general contractors in Lynchburg, VA
There are 4 highly-rated local general contractors.
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Lynchburg
- Mark Home RepairMark responded to my phone request promptly. He was very conscientious and paid attention to details. He also offered helpful solutions to maintain the integrity of the porch I needed repaired.
- RIGHT ANGLE CARPENTRYSuperb. Doug and his team were professional and produced a top quality job. Before starting, he provided a detailed and fair estimate and schedule.Then he executed to plan at the agreed upon price and schedule. Doug is not only a fine contractor, he has great integrity and will insure the job is done right. In addition, he is a USMC veteran and demonstrates discipled, principled leadership read less
- Knott's HandyworkRyan did a fantastic job. He was on time and very professional. He completed the work quickly, and it looks great.
- Mark Home RepairMy mother lives in a home that hasn't had maintenance on it for years! Mark came in to do some smaller projects for me. The house had a 60 year old toilet in it which I wanted replaced. When you take on a project like that it requires knowledge and proper parts to make old fit new. I just shook my head when he removed the old toilet thinking this will never work. He got it done and it works perfectly. It is difficult to find someone just to do the small jobs now days...they are all about the big money. You call and they either don't show up or don't call. I believe there is no project too big or small for Mark. He has been a lifesaver. I am going to keep him busy and I hope others will as wel read less
- Dollman Construction, IncIn early 2014, I moved to Bedford county from Maryland and purchased an older house. I needed some major work done and was unfamiliar with any contractors in the area. I consulted the yellow pages and found Dollman Construction. I called them to evaluate the project and requested an estimate. Mr. Dollman met with me at the job site and we reviewed my needs. I purchased a 36x30 steel building in February, but needed a contractor to erect the building. Not only was the building erection needed, but this job required foundation drawings, removal of several large trees, excavation of the site, building approval and permit by the county for the design of the building and accompanying lot, as well as insulation and electrical work which were not originally included in the plans. Mr. Dollman's company was able to work with my needs as changes in the plans indicated. All work was completed by Dollman Construction, from the foundation for the building to completing the parking lot outside the garage. The building was quickly and professionally erected, with concrete pads and extra large garage doors. The house we purchased had significant water damage by a door off the side of the house. Construction of a new porch area and repair of the damage was next. The company built a new porch and now this is my favorite entrance and exit into the house. The carpenters made improvements to the area so no new water damage would occur in the future. The roof was twenty years old, and needed to be replaced. Mr. Dollman's company was fast and efficient replacing the roof. A steep A-frame house with skylights over a sunroom and edges which overlooked a steep incline with nowhere to deposit the old shingles presented a significant challenge to the roofers. The roofers were able to finish the job in ONE day, including clean up of the area. Great care was take to avoid damage from the workers to any structures or landscaping plants. The onsite supervisor of the work crews is knowledgeable and always available for questions and concerns. The cost of this work was around ninety thousand dollars, but the work is professional and the employees are polite and conscientious. I am quite pleased with Dollman Construction and have already spoken to Mr. Dollman regarding other projects I need to complete. I could not be happier with the work completed and highly recommend Dollman Construction to anyone looking for a contractor. On another note, the point of contact in the office is Crystal. She is very polite, friendly and dependable. A rare gem. Kudos to Dollman Construction read less
- Knott's HandyworkExcellent work, on time as agreed, excellent carpentry knowledge and a very hard worker. No cons at all.
- Knott's HandyworkMr. Knott did not do the work, because of our tight time frame, but he gave us the advice we needed to get the job done properly. I am very grateful to him for that.
- WEV ConstructionThey were quick to give me a quote on the job and put the quote in writing. They were able to work my job into thier schedule and they did the job when promised. They did a quality job at a fair price and they actually did the job for a little less than estimated. I would recommend this company if you need any type of home construction or remodeling. We plan to use them in the near future when we do our addition and porches read less
- JTF Renewable Design & BuildThis provider came in to fix and finish a floor install after we let another contractor go due to a number of factors. Jason came in, did what he said he was going to do in the time he said he was going to do it, gave us a fair price, and left us with high quality work. This is our second experience with him and we would hire him again in a heartbeat read less
- Stanley Contractors LLCChris came and gave me a very reasonable quote for all the work. He wanted to get started right away and they showed up as planned. Chris subcontracted out to A-1 Roofing out of NC owned by Terry Heffner. His guys showed up and got right to work. Everything was going great until the workers had to go back to NC to start another job. They would return in 2 weeks once the bamboo we ordered came in. I sent a text message on 8/9/15 to Chris asking for verification that they would be coming the next day but no answer. I then sent an email but no response. The next morning I have an email from Chris stating he has lost his Contractors license in the state of VA so he will no longer be working on my house; Terry will be coming to finish the job. Chris told me my flooring was at Home Depot and gave me Terry's number so I could confirm he was indeed coming back. I called. I sent text messages. I called again. No answer. I finally called from my work, at my husband's suggestion, and the next day Terry called me back. He was pretty shocked when I told him who I was and that I assumed he was not coming back to finish the job. He went on a rant about how he never leaves a contract unfinished but my contract was with Chris not him and it would not be worth his time to send his guys up here to finish the job. I figured as much but was absolutely astounded at how much he tried to justify to himself that he was not negligent in his contract. I asked him to figure out how much it would cost to have his guys come back to VA and finish but he never called back. So, in closing Chris was great until he lost his license and the guys working for A-1 Roofing were great and did a wonderful job. In my opinion, Terry is the problem. I didn't expect him to work for free but I did expect him to finish the job. I have since had to find another person to finish the job and it is costing me an extra $1200.00 that I had not planned on spending. It could have been a lot worse and I am thankful to God that it wasn't but it sure was disappointing. The tub was only roughed in, they left tile undone, the bamboo was not laid, the drywall was not finished, the trim work was not done, and there was a hole in my closet where they had to move a wall but didn't put anything up. I rated mostly A's and B's due to when it was working, it was working great it just did a total flop at the end. Overall I would say it started A then ended C read less
Contractors in Lynchburg
- Business Description:I prefer smaller jobs that a person may not feel comfortable doing themselves but a contractor would not feel it was worth the effort to take on.Recent Review:We have used Ryan's services at least 3 times now, and he is always professional, on time, and thorough. He does good work, and makes sure he does it correctly. He has become our go-to handyman!Kathy M.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and Screens read lessRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:Im Jake Livengood and I would like to take this opportunity to briefly introduce our company Livengood Electrical llc so that you may consider our company for your electrical needs. Livengood electrical llc is a New small business, electrical contractor based right outside of Charlottesville Virginia, while serving Charlottesville and surrounding countys. Our services include wiring for new construction, Add ons, Remodels, Custom Houses, Additions and trouble shooting. Our company is committe.. read lessRecent Review:The job went great! Livengood Electric went over and above my expectations for this project. This wasn’t the easiest project out there on sure but with Jake’s expertise he was able to make short work of the project. We have a new service panel do you provide us years ofTrouble free electrical service, and a new generator but when the power goes out! We couldn’t be happier! Thanks again Jake read lessLogan B.
- Business Description:The Best Quality & Craftsmanship GuaranteedRecent Review:When I called to schedule an inspection, the original date was about a week out. When they became aware that we had a current leak, they adjusted schedules to arrive the next day. The inspection and recommendations were very thorough and professional. Although we decided to not proceed with All Phase Roofing for this project, we would highly recommend them if you are in need of any roof work read lessKevin D.
- Business Description:Ballard Mensua Architecture, led by Seth Ballard, NCARB, AIA, is a boutique architecture firm with a focus on creating truly custom designs and solutions for our clients. We have very strong vendor and contractor relationships, a result of our detailed understanding of construction. Unlike many architects, who like to design and then hand over control to the builder, Ballard Mensua maintains control of management of the project throughout construction. We have a unique cost-study process that.. read lessRecent Review:We just finished a spectacular custom home project in McLean, VA and we are so very grateful to Seth Ballard and his team! If you are considering hiring his firm, look no further. There can be no better architect in the DC/VA/MD area – and his pricing is more than fair. We first picked Seth because we loved his architectural style and heard that he had a reputation for ensuring that his plans are executed with impeccable precision and attention to quality. Also, his references were stellar….without exception, his former clients offered glowing praise for his talent, diligence, and follow-through. And now that we are former clients, we understand why. We always knew we were going to have a gem of a home with Seth at the helm. What we did not fully appreciate at the beginning was his proven ability to help us STAY ON BUDGET and his deep bench of connections with first-rate contractors and subcontractors who were prepared to bend over backward to meet Seth’s exacting standards. Here are just a few highlights from our experience: CONCEPT PHASE: During the initial meetings at our home, Seth went the extra mile to learn all about our lifestyle, future needs, architectural likes/dislikes, and budget. During this stage of the process, he would effortlessly make freehand drawings to help us visualize potential styles and layouts. We ultimately elected to go with a craftsman design, with lots of wood features inside and out. PICKING THE RIGHT PROPERTY: Seth joined us for car rides through the local neighborhoods, helping us to scout out the property that was best suited for our construction plans – free of any potential HOA or permitting snafus. DESIGN: With Seth’s guidance, we iterated on different design options. The design phase was high-tech and highly visual. Lots of 2D and 3D elevations, plus 360-degree videos. At each step, Seth clearly identified the estimated construction cost, and we would make decisions about what to dial-up and what to dial-down. For example, we elected to go with a cheaper asphalt roof (rather than slate), but with a more premium window. There were literally dozens of choices like that, and Seth did a superb job of helping us to make the right trade-offs and to “value engineer” the house. PICKING THE RIGHT CONTRACTOR AND SUBS: One of the things that distinguishes Seth from the competition is that he works closely with a handful of contractors and subcontractors who have already been “pre-screened” for excellence. Seth connected us with a general contractor who was not only honest and diligent, but whose carpentry was truly “artisan grade.” Seth also drew upon a stable of outstanding subcontractors – in areas such as HVAC/plumbing, electrical/lighting, structural engineering, cabinetry, tile, drywall/paint, countertops, hardwood flooring, landscaping, etc. It was perfectly clear that these subs were striving to deliver the highest quality and exemplary service. Why? Because Seth was an important source of repeat business for them. This made them extremely responsive. BUDGETING: Seth developed detailed spreadsheets estimating costs for every aspect of the project, as well as options for “enhancements.” Once we made our choices, he was instrumental in securing a FLAT FEE CONTRACT with the builder (inclusive of subs) for everything we wanted. To provide even more control over the cost, the agreement specified that certain items would be “owner provided, contractor installed.” This meant that, regardless of whether we bought pricey appliances or tile or flooring, it would have no impact of the builder’s fees. To his credit, Seth’s estimates were quite accurate, and the project stayed on budget. ARCHITECT FEES: We negotiated a flat fee for Seth’s architectural services, and got way more than we bargained for. We had no idea Seth would stay so engaged throughout the project -- micromanaging every detail, and even offering interior design suggestions (e.g., stains and paints, cabinet and window designs, furniture layouts, etc.). It became clear that, regardless of how much we had agreed to pay in fees, Seth was “all in,” and was committed to ensuring that the end result was perfection. To be sure, in any large construction project, there will be some hiccups. But this was yet another area where Seth shined. Rather than being indifferent, or pointing the finger at those who were actually at fault, he would step up to “own the problem” and take charge until the issue was resolved. In one such case, he developed a design tweak that saved us money and produced a more beautiful result in the process. We never had to stress too much, because we knew Seth was 100% engaged and we could trust that the final work product would be a treasure of a home. One final thought. While Seth’s tremendous talent is obviously perfect for large custom projects, we have no doubt that he can deliver outstanding value for smaller home renovations too. When we did kitchen/bath renovations in our prior home, we naively thought that a “design-and-build” firm would deliver the best solution. With the benefit of hindsight, we could have done so much better hiring Seth as the independent architect and separately hiring a builder who would be accountable to the architect. The result would have been better quality construction, a better value, and far less stress. So whether you are about to embark on a modest remodel or getting ready to “dream big” with a new custom home, look no further than Ballard Mensua Architecture read lessjack l.
- Business Description:Right Angle Carpentry is about providing the customer with quality work at a fair price. We are a class A building contractor in the state of Virginia with 20 years of experience in the Construction field. We are able to provide a wide range of services from small home repairs to larger projects such as additions or custom homes. Call us if you are looking for a positive construction experience in the Roanoke - Lynchburg area. We take great pride in the quality of our work and our attenti.. read lessRecent Review:The deck and fence looks great and is very well built. I highly recommend Right Angle.Bruce B.
- Business Description:I have 25 years experience in remodeling homes. I love what I do. I will always do a great job for you. I can do anything you need done in your home. I'm always very good at electrical. I will come in and hang ceiling fans, replace receptacles etc. I'm an honest and reliable person. No job to big for us! The pictures that are posted are jobs they we have started and completed read lessRecent Review:Took 1000. Of deposit and never produced the new door. Never came back to do the work. We have found out he is in jail on drug charges and non completion of work. Will have to sue for damages - ANGIE’s LIST sent this person here read lessSusie H.
- Business Description:With over 20 years of experience in the furniture and home décor business, John Albert Furniture takes pride in providing our clients with a wide range of options to meet all of their needs. From classic pieces to modern contemporary designs, we are confident that you’ll be satisfied by our furniture selection read less
- Business Description:J Brothers Carpentry LLC is a an owner-operated company specializing in quality finish carpentry, serving Lynchburg, Roanoke, and surrounding areas. My scope of work includes properly installing all types of molding/millwork and doors (including garage doors). I also build decks and built-in cabinets. Call me today for a free quote on your project read less
- Business Description:Will give a free estiment.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
There are so many options for paying contractors that it can be tricky to choose. Whether you choose cash, apps, or checks, there are ways to go about it safely and easily. From payment methods to payment terms, we’ve got your breakdown.
Find general contractors in
- Madison Heights
- Spout Spring
- Lynch Station
- Buena Vista
general contractors in Lynchburg
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 1treehouse3204 Twinberry Cv
- All-Phase Roofing & ConstructionPO Box 11604
- All-Phase Roofing & Construction
- Ballard & Mensua Architecture5185 MacArthur Blvd #370 Ste 312
Washington, District Of Columbia
- Baptista Construction LLC3329 campbell ave
- BayWatch Development Corporation (B D C)PO Box 478
- BITTMANN WOODWORKS4586 Mayfield Woods Cir Apt 101
- Blue Mountain Contracting1644 Salt Petre Cave Rd.
Eagle Rock, Virginia
- Ballard & Mensua Architecture
- C Taylor Inc. (DBA: Taylor's Home Improvement)32 Little Acre Lane
Natural Bridge Station, Virginia
- Cheatham General Contractor8855 Red House Rd
- Commonwealth Construction & Restorations3408 Ivylink Place
- Countywide Home Repair & Maintenance150 Hidden Meadow Lane
- Cowboys Custom Vinyl246 Clearwood Dr
- Creative Concepts LLCPO Box 1511
King George, Virginia
- C Taylor Inc. (DBA: Taylor's Home Improvement)
- Derek Lewis Lee, Inc. t/a Lee Builders234 Brian Drive
- Derek Lewis Lee, Inc. t/a Lee Builders
- Elevate Construction Inc1000 S Fairfield Drive Ste. 80
- Elevate Construction Inc
- Innovative Custom Solutions, LLC1141 Dillons Way
- Innovative Custom Solutions, LLC
- Kennedy Flooring & ConstructionPO Box 1760
- Kennedy Flooring & Construction
- Quality Assembly Solutionspo box 70192
- Quality Assembly Solutions
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
- Sharky's Pest Control3685 Glenland Rd.
- Spence Contracting & Remodeling, Inc.1485 Waterlick Road
- Stonewall Home Repair3336 Maury River Rd
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space
- Wayne's Home Improvments524 Thistle Rd
- Wayne's Home Improvments