NOVA Landscape & Design Center

Founded 1995 • With Angi since July 2006

17720 Washington St

Dumfries, VA 22026

NOVA Landscape & Design is a family owned and operated business with more than 20 years experience in the landscaping industry; we pride ourselves on excellent service, quality products and competitive pricing. Our staff is ICPI certified in the installation of concrete patios and our attention to detail is what helps us stand out in the industry. With a history of owning and operating a garden center, we have in depth knowledge of all types of plant material and their best uses within both residential and commercial settings. We can design and install the living area of your dreams, from concept to finish....

09/03/2021

Barbara B.

If you're looking for a landscape and design company with phenomenal customer service, excellent workmanship then Nova Landscape and Design is that company. My backyard was a flooding nightmare for over 8 years and they turned it into this amazing backyard with no flooding issues. I went from a space that was unusable to a family friendly space that is totally breathtaking. Thanks so much to the entire team that worked on this project

Description of Work
Drainage, lighted retaining wall, and lighted patio

Category decks, hardscaping, outdoor lighting

11/04/2020

cj S.

If you're looking for a company to build a screened porch before hiring NOVA Landscape & Design, check around. It could be to your benefit. Our screened porch project was a 4/6 week task that took NOVA approx 28 weeks. We made our initial deposit Mar 2020 with a projected start date of Apr 20 and completion in early May. Our project was delayed due to china virus shutting the permit office down and according to NOVA, making the submission process stringent and difficult. NOVA miscalculated the measurements which delayed the permit further until July. Work began in Jul 15 with a projected completion of early August. The materials were delivered in our driveway, and were supposed to be move to the backyard, but this didn't happen. There were materials in the driveways until late October. There were two failed inspections which also delayed the project completion for weeks at a time with additional problems like a roof that leaked, and carpenter ants eating the ceiling joists that required an exterminator. The initial crew was so sloppy, NOVA fire them. We had a dumpster in front of the house Jul thru Nov 3rd. Very little work was done from Aug 19 until Sep 18. On Nov 3rd they finally completed the job with a new crew. They said our project was not typical , and had the most problems of any they had. They sent a carpenter out Nov 11 to repair missed work from a prior crew. We missed a whole summer use of the porch and deck. One item they are very timely and prompt on is payment.

Description of Work
Screened porch

Category decks

Hello Mr. [Member Name Removed], thank you for your feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience you faced during your project and appreciate your patience as we were faced with a number of staff and material shortages last year, partly due to Covid. The processing of your permit also had many delays due to county staff shortages last year. Additionally, we had some processes internally within the company that have since been improved to help expedite projects and provide exceptional service. 2020 was a challenging year and we are grateful to have customers like yourself who were understanding and patient during the course of your project. We hope you are enjoying your new space!

07/30/2017

Jane T.

It went very well. They kept me informed of any changes or delay that might occur. The workers were diligent and competent. I plan to hire the company and would definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
I had seven bushed removed including two very large holly bushed, a tree trimmed, one garden weeded with bushes trimmed and a section of yard regraded.

Category landscaping, lawn service, tree service

04/02/2017

Sue L.

Great! Everything went as planned and we are very happy with our new look!

Description of Work
We recently had a large tree removed from our front yard and were wanting to update our front landscaping along with replacing the tree. Wali came and drew up a plan for a new look for us. His team came in, removed all of the old bushes, and accomplished all the work in one day.

12/13/2016

Aaron L.

I met with Wali to go over cost effective design solutions to enhance the landscape of our home, which is new construction. I received one other estimate but went back to Wali because of his prompt follow-up and ability to address questions within a short period of time. This small family-owned business is hard-working with Excellent attention to detail; very prompt follow-up; attention to detail; highly professional very reasonable prices. They worked closely with us to help meet our landscaping needs, go over a few designs, and flexible to help meet our budget. Everything looks great. I highly recommend and will be contacting them for future work.

Description of Work
Assisted with landscaping design and Planted two magnolias, two Japanese maples, several plants and shrubs; expansion of flower bed on side of house and edging/mulching

Category landscaping, tree service

Hi [Member Name Removed], We really enjoyed working with you on the project and are delighted to hear you were happy with the work performed. We are always here if you need any additional work around the house. Thank you for trusting us with the landscaping of your yard.

10/16/2016

Let me first say that I'm a Realtor and work with lots of contractors and have seen the gambit of quality work. Nova Landscape is a legit and topnithch conpany that delivers a remarkable final product. We asked them to design something that would be practical yet eye catching and noteworthy and they did just that. The design process was easy and we just basically told them "we trust your professional opinion" and let them create a masterpiece. Everyone that walks in the back of our yard is amazed at the patio. Hiring Nova Landscape is now and forever a "no brainer" for us.

Description of Work
Installed a two tier patio with large circular fire pit complete with landscaping.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

It was an absolute pleasure working with you and your family. Thank you for the kind words and please let us know if we can help with anything in the future. Nighttime photos look terrific!

09/23/2016

Richard S.

This is a backbreaking job and the 3 workers worked diligently all day in 80+ temperatures. They removed the old grass and weeds in front yard. They added a new bed of soil including fertilizer, and nutrients . Next, they installed approximately 650 sq ft. of lawn sod. I gave a "B" on quality only because some of the sod had gaps, but this may take care of itself once it roots itself and starts to grow. I thought the price seemed high, but after further research, the price was in the mid range for this type of work. Overall, I was very happy with the job and would recommend them.

Description of Work
Installed lawn sod over approximately 650 sq ft.

Category landscaping

Hi [Member Name Removed], thanks for the great feedback, it was a pleasure working with you, please let us know if you need anything in the future. We are always here to help!

07/29/2016

Michael Y.

Wali came out and was very pleasant and professional. By the next day he had a wonderful plan sent over. I must say, of the 3 estimates I received Wali's was the most reasonable and professional of the three.. Wali is very responsive and pleasant to deal with and we would have gone with him no doubt, however my wife and I decided to try the area ourselves as it is rarely used and not that visible.. We are hoping to have NOVA eventually do some work on much more prominent / highly visible areas that we would not feel comfortable trying to handle..

Description of Work
Had an estimate performed on a slight sloped side area of our house for clean out of existing plants / weeds etc.. new plantings that would be conducive to the area, soil and mulch. Also to transplant an existing tree to the area and reset the flagstones for the walkway, about 8-10 flagstones.

Category landscaping

Hi [Member Name Removed], thanks for the great feedback, it was a pleasure meeting you, hope you were able to complete the yard work. Please let us know how we can help in the future!

06/17/2016

Johnny F.

Very professional. All work was done in a timely manner, when they left, there was no mess for me to deal with. Wali, our estimator, was excellent when suggesting types of plants, flowers and bushes. I will definitely use them in the future. I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Install landscaping, plants, mulch and bushes.

Category landscaping, mulch

Hi [Member Name Removed], thanks for the nice comments, it was a pleasure working with you and your family, please let us know if you need anything in the future, we are always here to help!

06/11/2016

Cathy M.

Overall very pleased with NOVA Landscape and Design and would recommend them, Visited the nursery and everyone was extremely helpful - very willing to explain options and provide suggestions on the best plant selections for our VERY sunny yard. Great plants at nursery with good value pricing. Worked well with us during the design phase and adjusted based on our wishes. Because of so much rain this year, it took longer than we wanted to be able to be scheduled, but that was outside of their control. We had a much higher bid from a competitor, so we are happy with the price. The crew was profession, polite and friendly. They were very careful with our lawn, which was in excellent condition and did not need work. They also took the time to clean up after they completed working. The only fault I have with them is that some of the plants were not in the best condition. I would recommend you go along with them to the nursery and select your own plants rather than allow them to select for you.

Description of Work
Landscape design, removed clay soil, added topsoil, set plants, installed bubbler, mulched and cleaned up area.

Category landscaping, mulch

Hi [Member Name Removed], thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review, we take your feedback very seriously. I hope all the plants are doing well and thriving. It was an absolute pleasure working with you. Please keep in touch!

09/14/2015

Debbie S.

Wali is super nice and very knowledgeable about his business. He was very helpful in finding a solution based on my desire to put in some sort of steps in the back yard from the patio to the grass yard. We agreed on stone and he went out of his way to find the ones that matched our stone patio, sending me pictures of the different shapes and sizes so we could select what we wanted. He also suggested using boulders on the side to add some character and visual style which I really liked, also adding succulents in between to soften the look. When the guys came to install (which they did in one day!) they were very polite and worked hard to complete it all by the end of the day, asking me along the way how I liked what they were doing and what my preferences were (they spoke English too which was a huge relief...I have worked with other companies where the forman had established the work and then left their non-English speaking staff to implement, leaving me with no way to communicate if something went wrong or was changed). We had many additional boulders left which we tried to work into the design, and Wali had suggested moving them to another part of the yard. At my request, we ended up keeping them with the others, however, about a week later, after looking at it from different angles of the yard, I regretted that decision. So many boulders at that site conflicted with the cleaner, more contemporary style we have in our house and patio so I asked if they could come back to remove some of them. These boulders are fairly large and extremely heavy to move so I was aware of the work that would be involved but Wali had no problem coming back to fix it. That said, Wali's team arrived within a week to move the boulders to the back of the yard and cleaned up the area that was now exposed, all for no additional cost. They went above and beyond to make sure that we were happy with the results and we love our new steps! We have also discussed many other projects with NOVA Landscape which we will begin in the spring.

Description of Work
We have a grass incline from the patio up to the main part of the yard where the grass has been worn away to mud from the dogs and kids. We really needed a stone solution to lead up to the yard to prevent further damage to that spot and to keep the mud from being tracked in the house, not to mention just making it look nicer.

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

09/04/2015

Agnes H.

They did show up relatively on time and worked hard. However, they only removed the big weeds and dumped the mulch down on top of the medium and small weeds. So, now 12 days later, those weeds are back up through the mulch and going strong. They were supposed to fertilize the existing plants using azalea fertilizer. They did not fertilize them at all. They were supposed to edge the bed along the split rail fence between my yard and my neighbor's yard. They did not. They were supposed to pull the mulch back from the trunks of the plants so that the plants would not be strangled. They did not. They were supposed to replace the old rotted soaker hoses that I had under the old mulch in all of the existing beds. They did not. Theydid remove the dead 8 plants and planted the new 10 plants. But rather than using the azalea fertilizer as directed when planting them, they used general, cheaper fertilizer and did not pull the mulch back from them. Same for the 2 new plants in the 2 new beds. They did an excellent job on removing tree roots and creating the new plant beds. They did a good job on topping the arborvitae. And, they did a good job on cleaning up when they were finished. I was unable to be outside and watch what they were doing during all of this due to bronchitis and larynghitis. I complained on the Angies List website about the incomplete work. They came back while I was gone and appear to have pulled the mulch back from the existing beds, added azalea fertilizer (appears to be on top of the mulch) to the existing plants. They also added at least one new soaker hose (I haven't had a chance to check all of the beds yet). There was also a hanging basket of flowers on my stoop that hadn't been there when I left. So, I am guessing they left it as an apology for not doing the work correctly the first time. I am still stuck with the existing weeds coming up through the mulch. I will contact them one more time with a complaint about this.

Description of Work
They were supposed to weed, edge, fertilize, replace soaker hoses, and mulch 5 medium sized beds plus replace 10 plants in them. Then create 2 new small beds, plant one plant in each, fertilize, & mulch. Plus, top an arborvitae. All directions were provided in advance in writing in detail about how the work was to be done. Apparently, these detailed instructions were not communicated by their supervisor since they did not fulfill the contract (See the details below).

Category landscaping, lawn service

Hi Ms. [Member Name Removed], thank you for taking time out of your day to write a review. We are very concerned to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the work provided on the initial day we did the project. I will try to address each shortcoming in this response. Because of the extent of the weeds in the planting bed, it’s very likely that the weeds dropped seeds while our crew was cleaning out the bed, especially if you noticed the weeds emerging after 2 weeks and a few rainy days. To prevent this in the future, it is advised that the weeds be sprayed with a herbicide to systematically kill the roots and prevent the same weeds from emerging again. Another suggestion to help prevent the weeds from continuing to germinate is to use Preen Herbicide in the garden; this will help minimize the number of weeds germinating. We acknowledge that we should have done a better job communicating the possibility that the weeds could return if not sprayed using a herbicide. In regards to fertilizing the plants, our foreman at that time did not have the proper fertilizer available, which is why we returned a second day to lay the fertilizer as agreed upon. We did place an edging along the bed, however since it didn’t seem to meet your satisfaction as far as depth of edge, we returned to re-edge the bed at a greater depth. With respect to the soaker hose, we didn’t know the location of the soaker hoses on the initial visit, so we returned to the home and you were kind enough to point out where the soaker hoses were located so we could replace them. Thank you for addressing the excellent work our crew did with creating the planting beds, removing tree roots and topping the arborvitae. We do realize our crew should have done a better job having the correct fertilizer readily available the first day and that we should have communicated the possibility of weeds returning and provided other methods to eradicate the weeds more permanently. We are happy to hear that you were satisfied on the way we handled any shortcomings with your project. Your review is very much appreciated and your comments were noted and discussed among our entire crew and sales staff so that we can continue improving our services. -Wali

08/28/2015

Jan G.

On July 7th, Wali Hashemi's first visit, we walked all around our property and pointed out things that needed to be fixed. We had been traveling a lot this past year and the yard was in need of clean up, weed removal, and some additional plantings and rocks. Walli could not have been more personable. We really enjoyed meeting him. He arrived promptly and was extremely friendly, professional, and knowledgeable. He emailed us an itemized estimate to which we actually suggested a greater number of boulders. A revised estimate was emailed back and signed and Wali said the work was tentatively scheduled for 17 and 18 August depending on the weather. Wali and two other workers arrived promptly on 17 August as planned and worked hard to weed, trim, and generally clean up our property on all four sides of the house. No one showed up on the 18th or 19th, but Wali emailed me indicating he was ill and liked to be there in the morning with his crew. He also let me know that the boulders were being delivered on the 19th...and they were. On the 20th, two workers arrived and spent the day finishing the work. Alas, Wali was not with them and, upon review of the work afterwards, we had some concerns, but were not certain if the job was actually complete or they were planning to return the next day (Friday). No one showed up on Friday, so we emailed Wali with our concerns and asked if he could walk us through the work next week. We identified the following issues: -- Not certain all of the promised plants were received. -- While most of the weeds and wild violets were pulled, there are still some remaining, including some large weeds in the ditch. -- Also, there are several areas of tree growth by the crape myrtle tree that we specifically requested be removed that were not. -- At least two day lily plants (one on the side and one in the front yard) were apparently cut down. -- Some plants were removed or covered with mulch. We received a timely, professional and apologetic response from Wali who showed up Tues, Aug 25th with a crew, additional plantings and mulch. We walked around, accounted for all the plants to which he added two day lilies and some phlox and mulch which had not been done on one side of our property. He instructed his crew to remove items, plant items, mulch, etc. and they worked for several hours to set everything right. While it can be uncomfortable to have to point out less than satisfactory work to people who were really working hard out in the heat and humidity, we were truly impressed by the attitude displayed by Wali and his crew and the fact that they went out of their way to make things right. In the end, we were satisfied with results and impressed with Wali.

Description of Work
We took advantage of the special deal of a landscape analysis and design for $99 via Angie's List. Walli Hashemi contacted me almost immediately and we set up a date for him to come over. Later he emailed us both an estimate for the work (weed, clean up, trim, add some plantings and boulders, and mulch entire property) which we found reasonable and scheduled for the work to be done o/a 17/18 August. All the work was started and, after some concerns were addressed, completed to our satisfaction.

Category landscaping, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Hello Ms. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking the time to review the work we performed at your home. Your kind words are appreciated; I’m glad we were able to finish the work to your satisfaction. It was a pleasure working with you. -Wali

07/27/2015

Margaret S.

Pros: The initial worker showed up on time and Wali came out to check on him while I was there. Wali was pleasant to deal with and was responsive to most of my emails and two phone calls. Work removing the grout went fairly well and then it went downhill from there. Cons: . -The 1st worker placed the tiles he removed on my lawn and temporarily killed my grass in about 14 places. Two small spots have yet to come back. Wali brought a plant (which I see is offered as an Angie's list member gift) and some fertilizer to speed the green up, but since it was 90 degrees out I would have thought a landscaping company employee would know better. - 1st worker came back and grouted the tiles without bringing the proper tools to remove the haze which ultimately dried on the slate tiles. Additionally, his work was so messy that he splattered mortar on my newly painted bump-out, glass storm door and bottom frame work of my door, sidelights and my beige driveway. I understand accidents happen but he had water right next to the bump-out where he could at least have washed off the mortar on the bump-out and my driveway. Unfortunately, by the time I got home from work he was gone and I had to send Wali an email. He came out with vinegar and removed the grout off the bump-out along with my new paint. I now have to repaint. They did repaint the bottom of the doorframe woodwork but not the bump-out or one of the sidelights. -Because the tiles were not properly cleaned and grout was allowed to dry on uneven areas of the slate there are numerous places where the mortar will not come off. The tiles is a deep red and now the edges of the tiles where they tried to clean the mortar off is lighter than the rest of the tile. Ends were not initially finished properly and I had to go out with blue tape and identify all the problems with the job. They did not initially remove the grout from the front and sides of the porch saying the grout would match....it did not and they had to come back and re-grout . I was so unhappy with the 1st workers performance that Wali sent a different employee the next time. I found out later the 2nd guy was not a qualified mason but a fill in with some masonry experience. Although he was very personable, you can tell he did not have the experience to smoothly tuck the mortar on the front of the steps. He also mixed the mortar differently so in places it is not exactly the same color as the first employee. -The very last time they had to come out and replace a small crushed tile on the porch. Believe there was not enough mortar under the tile because I could see a hole under it. They fixed the crushed tile with more mortar, and did the finish cut on the uneven edges. Mortar dust was left all over the walkway along with more mortar, sand, and grout on my driveway from where they mixed the mortar. I tried getting the mortar off the driveway with vinegar and it did not work. I also spent a whole morning this weekend on my hands and knees removing the dust with a sponge. -I would not recommend them for a repair. I feel Wali did not assign properly qualified masons to this project which is why I gave a "D" to the Overall experience. I gave them a "C" for quality primarily for the employee knowingly coming out to do a mortar job without the tools to finish the job properly which then contributed to the other problems. Wali did try to fix the problems but once you have dried mortar on slate it is very hard to come back from that. Unfortunately, it took many emails to get it to look fairly decent. He also did not apologize for his subordinates lack of work quality, or offer a discount for the problems encountered.

Description of Work
The initial contract was for Jun 22 to remove and replace the grout in a flagstone porch/walkway in an off white/linen color. After removing the grout they found the tiles on the walkway were no longer adhered to the mortar so the contract was revised to put cement under the walkway. I chose them because they had A ratings and great reviews.

Category landscaping, lawn service, pavers, gravel, hardscaping

Hi Ms. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking time to write this thorough review, I will do my best to respond to your feedback. We were initially contracted to remove the existing mortar from a flagstone walkway and place new mortar to help fill the seams. Once we began the work, it was agreed that it wouldn’t be possible to effectively remove the existing mortar without taking apart the entire flagstone walkway because the previous contractor that did the work did not lay a proper foundation. As a courtesy and without any increase to the original $785 estimate, we removed the entire flagstone walkway and attempted to put it back together using the same material. In hindsight, this removal and replacement of the flagstone should have never occurred, we should have provided a quote for replacing the walkway with new flagstone. This work would have cost thousands of dollars and we did not want you to incur such a burden after we had originally said we would attempt to re-do the mortar. Once the flagstone was removed, we found that the pieces were falling apart; attempting to remove this existing flagstone walkway and putting it back together became a real challenge due to the age and complexity of the stone. We did ultimately lay the correct foundation to the walkway and replaced the walkway using the old flagstone that was removed, however there are certain aesthetic flaws that were difficult to prevent when dealing with a project of this complexity. We acknowledge that this project should have never occurred using the same flagstone, we did not evaluate the age of the flagstone effectively and should have provided you with an option to purchase new flagstone that could be laid more effectively. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us continue improving upon our services. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused and hope you understand the challenges faced with removing and re-using the same flagstone. -Wali

07/19/2015

Jeff B.

I hired Wali and his crew to weed and mulch several areas around my property. Two of the three areas appeared to have sufficient mulch, the third did not. Nor was the third area properly weeded. It turns out all his crew did was pull the tops of the weeds off, then dump mulch on the ground to cover their lack of thoroughness. When I contacted him a few days after the work was done, complaining of the weeds that were still present, he stated that because of the amount of rain we have been getting the weeds would come back faster. Maybe the response would have worked on some people but I thought it was absurd. Sure, maybe in a few weeks new weeds would germinate, but only if the existing weeds were actually removed, not just trimmed. He did sent his team back out and they trimmed more of the weeds, but they are still there. Without removing the entire weed, root and all, all this did was hide the problem. Now in those two other areas that had more mulch, the weeds are starting to pop up. In all this was quick and sloppy work and I would not hire them again.

Description of Work
Weed and mulch

Category landscaping

Hello Mr. [Member Name Removed], Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us feedback. We apologize for any inconvenience the weeds caused you; we should have done a better job communicating the nature of this project and the likelihood that weeds could re-emerge in the planting beds, especially in regards to weeds that had not germinated yet. Unfortunately the nature of weeds are a true challenge, especially when smaller weeds may have germinated but aren’t necessarily visible. The larger weeds within your planting beds were removed and disposed of properly, however their may have been smaller weeds that hadn’t quite emerged yet and grew after we completed the work. We should have provided various solutions to removing the weeds such as spraying with a post emergent herbicide and using a pre-emergent herbicide to reduce the amount of weed seeds from germinating in the future. We have communicated with our sales staff and crew members the importance of educating customers on the various method of weed removal to help a client decide which direction they would like to pursue when it comes to weed removal. I am very sorry that we were not able to communicate more effectively the likelihood of weeds returning and for not providing other more effective methods to remove the weeds more permanently. -Wali

07/18/2015

John M.

They had to redo the job. It wasn't exactly the way we wanted it. But he was very nice and took care of it.

Description of Work
I wanted them to replace the flower beds in front of my house.

Category greenhouses

05/11/2015

Dustin P.

We initially invited the nursery up the street to provide a design consultation and estimate. After two and a half hours we asked the designer to leave and had more questions than answers. The quote finally came in after a week at approximately $5500.00 (about 3,000 over what she initially said). Fed up and very frustrated with this designer, we turned to Angie?s list to find a new landscape company. NOVA landscape and design was prompt and responsive. Wali (the designer) came to the house and almost immediately had a vision for the project. To our surprise, on the same evening as the consultation, Wali had completed the quote with a design picture included. As first time purchasers of this type of service, it was great to have someone so knowledgable and responsive to guide us through the process. Wali promptly returned every emailed question and even provided examples so we could visualize what our project will look like. Today, the crew arrived promptly as scheduled and were extremely professional. The final result was exactly as promised with no hidden fees. We would highly recommend Wali and NOVA landscape and design to all. We will be using them again in the future.

Description of Work
Created a landscape design, removed existing trees and created new landscaping.

05/01/2015

Kevin B.

Company went above and beyond to answer my questions and concerns and provide a fair and thorough estimate. By far the best landscaping company in the area; based on other interactions in the area. Will certainly use this company for future projects and recommend them to my friends in the area. Thanks Wali!

Description of Work
Surveyed the area and provided an estimate.

04/16/2015

Amanda R.

They are amazing. I couldn't ask for better customer service. One brother does the gardening part and the other brother does the landscaping jobs. He came to make sure the quality was of the work was done correctly.

Description of Work
The put a whole new patio in for us. They also did all of our fruit trees and flower beds.

04/01/2015

Mike B.

Per our request, Wali came to our house, assessed several issues we had with our yard, and gave detailed recommendations on each issue. Wali was available within a couple days of when we called him. He arrived a few minutes early. He was polite, professional, and friendly. For each issue we had (including water drainage issues with our yard, a tree with high exposed roots, bare spots in our lawn, and a bush that has a bare spot), Wali listened to us about our concerns and thoughts on each issue, inspected each issue, gave us recommendations for each issue, discussed any concerns we had with the recommendation, and gave alternatives. When we said we might be interested in having a tree removed, he referred us to a tree remover that he said has good rates. Wali offered to give us a design to add some color to a large shaded area in our front yard under a large tree that we have mulched. At no additional cost, he took a picture of the area and that night, sent us a picture of the area with some inserted pictures of flowers we could plant with the type of each flower labeled next to each flower. Wali never seemed to be trying to sell us something. As a matter of fact, when we asked if we should have someone install something he was recommending, he said that since we looked like we were physically capable of doing that particular job, he really recommended we do it ourselves. He said we would save about $1,000 by doing it ourselves since the work was did not require a lot of skill, but did take a good amount of labor. He gave us an estimate for us doing it versus paying someone to do it. I would really trust Wali with any landscaping work we had. Beyond being responsive, punctual, friendly, technically proficient, professional, understanding of our desire not to spend a lot of money, he seemed very honest and trustworthy.

Description of Work
Landscaping Consultation including assessment and recommendations

03/23/2015

natassha H.

Fantastic service and nice people! I got my work done months ago, and as spring is rounding the corner, it still looks fantastic!

Description of Work
Gave my front yard some curb appeal! Laid down, mulch, rock, grass seed and fixed a retaining wall

Category landscaping, hardscaping

02/10/2015

Linda O.

They operated as promised. It was a little hard getting in touch with them. I found that somebody's big deal like I just didn't want was other company and some of them, they don't really deliver. I had some for granite and the guy was amazing. They were just great. They were incredible. Others sometimes, they're not very responsive. You have to call and call and call and the other company I have another work to be done around the house that I would've thrown their way but it was so hard to get in touch with them. I've met with him. He's very pleasant young man, very professional. I need to get back to him about the landscape because it was pretty good and he was able to send me a picture. He photo shopped it, set me a picture of the front of my house with the design as a picture so that I could see exactly what he was talking about. It was a very nice touch. My husband was very old at that time and he passed away I think it was before he died that I got the estimate and I just been doing things in the house, finishing all projects that he and I started. So I hadn't gotten back to Wally. I wanted the trimming in front of the house and I also wanted to put in a garden. I don't know that I'll go with this design because it didn't look cottagey. I had to talk to him about it.

Description of Work
They did landscape plan. I had wanted to put a small garden along the walkway in front of the house and I wanted it to look like a cottage garden and they set me a plan but I'm really not ready to implement a plan yet but they were pretty responsive.

12/23/2014

Trisha H.

From the first meeting until the job completion everything went great. We were very pleased with the work and the walkway turned out so well. The holly bushes were a real chore to get out they were able to remove them including the roots. My flower beds look beautiful now and the gentleman that laid the pavers did the best work I have ever seen.

Description of Work
Cleaned out old plants and mulched all the flower bed. Removed huge holly bushes against the house that have been there since 1984 then planted new plants in several of the beds. They removed old pavers in the front walkway and laid new brick pavers and and added a new flower bed.

Category landscaping, lawn service, hardscaping

09/11/2014

Mary K.

I have a hedge that goes along one side and the back of my acre lot, and I have it trimmed once a year. I hired Dumfries to do the job this year at the incredible price of $999. It is always a full-day job generally with a crew of four, and the cost usually is closer to $2,000 unless I have the good fortune of this Angie's Big Deal. A crew of three showed up on time and worked from 9 a.m. until slightly past 5 p.m. with an hour's break for lunch. They did a wonderful job of trimming the hedge, but were unable to get to the taller parts, which has been the case for the past few years, so each year these three areas of the hedge just keep getting taller! One of the crew spent the afternoon pulling up undergrowth and brush that had sprung up over the summer. All went well except that the person with whom I did the "walk-though" in the yard to identify areas that needed to be weeded did not communicate to the actual weeder that I had a grape trellis and a season's worth of growth intertwined with nearby weeds, so the grape plant got culled out along with the weeds. That's not the first time a crew has leveled my grape plant in the course of weeding near/under the hedge, so I couldn't be too mad. Besides, they did a fabulous job on the hedge trim and the other weeding jobs around my property, so I shrugged it off, and everyone got a tip at the end of the day. They did a great job of clean-up when the work was done, and they were efficient in their work. I so enjoyed working with this crew that I asked the firm to quote me a price for year-'round maintenance of my lawn.

Description of Work
24 hours worth of landscaping services (crew of four for eight hours)

08/18/2014

Alison P.

Wali and his crew showed up on time and after a walk through got to work right away. They got the old bushes out quickly, but it was a lot of work.. I worked with them to get the shape of the stone border the way I wanted it. They did nothing without my input, which I really appreciated. Wali even went on a plant run when I wanted to change one of the plants. It was completed in a timely fashion and they cleaned everything up immaculately.. I love my new landscaping!! I had called a few other landscaping businesses for estimates but they didn't want to come out for a smaller job. I can understand that I guess but Dumfries Nursery didn't hesitate to come out which was great.

Description of Work
Removed all the overgrown shrubs from the front of my house, built a stackstone border spanning the front of the house and planted a variety of new plants, added soil and mulch.