CAPITAL LIGHTING INC

Founded 1990 • With Angi since August 1995

3.8

901 POLARIS PKWY

Columbus, OH 43240

MON, THUR, FRI 10-5; TUE, WED 10-8; SAT 10-4.

12/22/2020

Kevin F.

Lighting Design and Installation

Description of Work
If you are building and the builder tells you to work with Capital Lighting, find another lighting vendor. We were building with Romanelli and Hughes. Worked with Sheila to get our lighting order in August. We were told they would work with us on planing and we had very little interaction and had a hard time getting them to call us back. We specifically wanted to make sure that lights we ordered were in stock. I was assured by Sheila after a few weeks of not being able get a hold of her that they were all in stock and we would have everything in October. When many of the lights arrived, we noticed several on back order. We tried calling Sheila and as of December 20th we still do not have 2 lights. Plus we are missing bulbs and have some glass fixtures missing that have been promised. We have also NEVER received a call back from Sheila after leaving at least 8 voice mails. If you are lucky, she may answer the phone and tell you everything is coming soon and on it’s way, but it is December and we are still missing several items that we ordered as well as one broken fixture that is on back order. Long story short, find somewhere else to buy your lighting and if forced to go through capital, do not trust any information they give you.

Category lighting, ceiling fans

07/23/2017

Juliann F.

BUYER BEWARE!!!. This is what you get for not checking Yelp / Angie's List before you order services. This is a long rating because I do not want any one else to have to deal with this joke of a store - bottom line is I am WORSE off now then I was when I went to them. Recently (May 8th 2017) I purchased a new home. On 5/14/17 I went to Capital Lighting to order 2 new fans and 1 kitchen chandelier. The first fan was for my bedroom with vaulted ceilings, the second fan was for my great room with 20ft ceilings and the kitchen light was normal height. All three items were in perfect working order - I just did not like the styles as they were very outdated Upon ordering these items I was told that it would be 3 weeks for them to be ordered and brought in. That should have been my first clue - what lighting store does not carry a stock of basic fans and lamps. However - I was willing to wait. By my timeline this would put the arrival of the stock in at sometime around June 3. This was a bit annoying as I had moved ahead of my family and I had hoped to have everything installed when the house was empty but again - not a big deal. It should be noted that the total sum of this order was 1359.42 4 weeks later - family is here and I am wondering where my items are. After a time on hold they tell me "Oh the items are here we just need to get you scheduled" - This should have been the Second Clue. Net net - here is where we are. Installer calls on the day that they were supposed to arrive to inform me that the other 2 installers called out sick and because of this he could not install the great room fan - but that he would install the bed room and the kitchen (need 2 people with a celling that high) (Note this has since turned into a blessing) Installer arrives and installs the fan in the bedroom and then tried to install the kitchen light - which he could not get to work. Upon inspection he realized that the LIGHT WAS BROKEN. In the meantime my husband went to put something away upstairs and tried to turn on the bedroom fan - WHICH DID NOT WORK. The installer could not figure it out.....so he said that he would have to come back. At this point I told him to return the kitchen light - we no longer wanted it and he left me with a BULB.... Capital Lighting employee calls me the next day to tell me that the soonest I could be rescheduled was today 6/29. We are sort of at their mercy now because the fan in the bedroom needs to be fixed and the great room still needs to be installed. Can you guess what happened??? THE FAN THAT THEY BROUGHT TODAY FOR MY BEDROOM WAS DAMAGED AND USED - THE INSTALLER CALLED THE COMPANY AND THEY HAD NO OTHER STOCK ON HAND SO THEY WOULD HAVE TO ORDER IT. Needless to say my husband thanked the installer for his time and told him to take the fan back and proceeded to go to the store to tell these idiots that we wanted nothing to do with their product and that we demanded a 100% refund for the order. They agreed. The store manager called me and I explained the whole story again. He really did not seem to be to bothered by this until I told him that 1. I now had NO WORKING FAN or 2. NO WORKING LIGHT in my bedroom or kitchen. I am 100% worse off now then I was when this whole thing started!!!!! They refunded every penny - I told him this was not going to stop me from my poor review or me calling my real estate agent to tell her to never recommend them to anyone again. Enter at your own risk - the product is NOT WORTH IT.!!!! PS - My husband asked the installer how often this happened - where stuff was damaged or there were issues - he told him AT LEAST ONCE A DAY. He said that he was always dealing with issues like this and that he did not know how the company stayed in business....

Description of Work
I purchased and expected to have installed the following: 1 Kitchen Chandelier 1 Celling Fan in Great Room (20ft Ceiling) 1 Master Bedroom fan (Vaulted Ceiling)

Category lighting, ceiling fans

10/27/2015

Kathleen Y.

Description of Work
Helped me select new lighting for a new bathroom, a remodeled kitchen as well as new lighting for several existing hallways and for outdoors. Good suggestions. Good explanations of differences between various bulb options. Don't know the total cost as our remodeling contractor referred us and we haven't received his itemized bill.

04/25/2015

Nona N.

Jeff was our installer and he was AWESOME. He was so polite and friendly. He moved the light up and down until I was completely satisfied with the length. He explained what he was doing and I feel like I learned a little about lighting for my next purchase. I will exclusively shop Capital for lighting.

Description of Work
We purchased a new chandelier for our morning room from Capital Lighting and they installed it.

03/31/2014

ALISON G.

The lady who helped us, Erin, was excellent and helped my decorator and I during the selection and purchase process.

Description of Work
I purchased 5 lighting fixtures and bulbs during their once a year sale.

10/21/2013

Misty G.

They're very knowledgeable and were helpful in determining whether one or two chandeliers were needed and the needed length of the chandeliers. We also purchase extra links. The quality of the products is fantastic. They also dressed the chandelier with the crystals. Their prices were reasonable. I had looked at a couple different places for the same exact chandelier and Capital Lighting had the best prices. They do have limited hours. I have had a lot of people ask me about the chandeliers and two other people have since gone to them to purchase the exact same chandeliers.

Description of Work
I purchased two large crystal chandeliers from them.

06/17/2013

Steve S.

Customer service is sometimes very easy at retailers when you are spending money and lighting purchases can quickly add up to large purchases. The level of customer service is often not know until a problem arises. Over the past 5-7 years we have replaced every fixture in our home and we fortunately purchased everything from Capital Lighting because of our belief in buying local. Five years ago we bought three identical ceiling fans. I had very specific criteria for my fans (oil rubbed bronze, wall mounted controls, transitional style, and a light kit that was fully attached -no bugs or dust bunnies to remove). At the time of my purchase Capital Lighting helped me find my perfect ceiling fans. They have been a beautiful addition to our home and have worked flawlessly until recently. After five years the first halogen bulb burnt out. In trying to replace the bulb we realized we couldn't access the bulb or remove the light kit. We ended up unscrewing half of the fan and thus breaking it. I brought the broken portion to Capital Lighting and Jon Lewis from Operations assisted me. He could clearly see that accessing the light bulb was impossible they way the fan was either manufactured or installed. One of the obvious issues was that the problem was not identified for 5 years because the bulb lasted so long. The manufacturer warranty had expired. Jon provided exceptional customer service - above and beyond customer service- with this unfortunate situation. I was beyond thrilled with the solution he provided. When the new fan arrived we determined the fan was installed incorrectly. However, we determined together that the design of the fan is different from a lot of other lift and twist lights. This one can be easily over tightened and extreme care has to be taken during installation. The next step was to work with the electrician that installed the original three fans. Fortunately, the company was also an Angie's List Super Service award winner and they worked with us also on a solution. The electrician also worked with Jon at Capital Lighting on this issue. This was a situation that could have been a nightmare. All three ceiling fans, as the light bulbs burnt out would have been non functional fans. In the worst case scenario we could have had to purchase and pay for installation for three new fans. The bill for this could have exceeded $1,500.00. However, because of the exceptional service at Capital Lighting after the sale and because of the reputable nature of the electrician we used this issue has been resolved. I can't say enough about Capital Lighting. Sometimes purchasing lighting on-line can be tempting. You'll never get customer service if you have problems. Support local business and buy from Capital Lighting.

Description of Work
We have purchased all of the lighting for our home from Capital Lighting. Most recently they assisted us with a ceiling fan issue and their customer service was outstanding

10/15/2012

Wallace A.

What a disaster. We were referred to Capital Lighting by our builder. We arrived at 4:40 pm on a Monday. We had undercounter led lighting that our builder had purchased there, and we wanted to confirm the lighting spectrum. We prefer a daylight spectrum to and quot;soft whiteand quot;. When we showed them the boxes, they informed us that they were indeed and quot;soft whiteand quot; and they did not offer any other spectrum in led under counter. We were rudely told and quot;you can maybe go look at home depot and get something cheaperand quot;. When we asked about track fixtures we were handed a catalog. they did try to match an outdoor sconce for us, but did not get close. The next day we went to Northern Lighting, who had a fairly large display of under the cabinet lighting with exactly what we wanted. We had our builder switch the track lighting so we could get our fixtures at Northern, and Northern came with-in a half inch of matching our outdoor lights. All in the space of about 10 minutes. Moral of the story: Capital Lighting doesn't want your business if it is anywhere near closing time.

Description of Work
1. Purchase of undercabinet LED lighting 2. Purchase of track light fixtures 3. Purchase of outdoor wall sconces.

04/28/2011

BARBARA P.

They were great to work but there was some issues with their supplier and getting undamaged items. But they were understanding and had no issues with helping us and making sure we received the right products that were undamaged. They were very patient with us and waited for us to make a decision. It was finally resolved and we were able to get the products that we wanted and they look great in our new renovated bathrooms. They helped us find what we needed and were good with communicating with us.

Description of Work
They ordered the lighting fixtures and mirrors for both our bathrooms.

Category glass repair, lighting

10/07/2010

JC B.

The salespeople didn't know what our budget was when we contacted them, even though our contractor had passed along information. Sales staff were 35 minutes late for the appointment we scheduled. We made the appointment because we have two children under the age of 3 and we knew time was precious. Then the sales people got frustrated when our children became fussy. The lights took over a month to come in, then a couple of them were bent. We had to call them out to make adjustments, they showed up and then refused to enter the house because of our 6 year old dog. My wife had to take time off work to come home and then put the dog away from the worker. If dog phobias are an issue with the service tech, we should have known up front!!! Bottom line-- Safe yourself the agitation and just go to Home Depot or Lowes and get your lighting! Capital Lighting Capital Sucks!

Description of Work
They provided most of the lights for our home renovation project.

10/07/2008

DALE W.

We had a contract with them and were able to obtain the wholesale price. Our home is 4 bedroom and 2 1/2 bathroom. They have an exceptional showroom, real nice products and extensive catalogs. I felt the sales rep that helped was nice to work with. She was very good and her order was accurate. The fans have remotes, the lights are modern and cost effective. When the products came in they were wrong. There was a miscommunication from what was on our sheet and what was ordered. There were 10 re-dos because of wrong orders and lack of material. We canceled over $500 in orders because they weren't coming in right. Once I was able to get past the person that orders their products that was fine, but it was very difficult to work with her.

Description of Work
We ordered lights; closet lights, ceiling fans, and all the lighting for the home through them.

10/04/2008

THERESA P.

Pleased with their customer service. Took a little time to get a call back and get the replacement installed, but we are pleased with the outcome.

Description of Work
Purchased new exterior lighting for our home - front door, garage and post light. Within a few days, the post light went out, and even with a new bulb it would burn out within a day. Requested Capital replace the light, and come out to exchange and install the new unit so we didn't have to pay an electrician to come out again to install. They agreed and exchanged and installed the new unit at no cost.

08/05/2008

Sarah H.

When we first arrived, someone was very quick to help us. They were polite and friendly. The store was well organized and staff seemed knowledgeable and looked professional. They went out of their way to help us find exactly the right things we were looking for. We ended up having to order a few items but they arrived quickly and when we went to pick them up the order was already set aside. It was like someone took the time to make sure our stuff was set aside in where they could find it quickly. The person who greeted us had all our paper work ready to go and they helped us load everything up. A few other times we have been there on the weekends and it can get kind of busy in the showroom. Prices are fair but don't expect Walmart pricing. Products are of better quality than what you find at the big box stores and I think they are a local owned family company as opposed to a big corporate entity. For me, that is important. Overall, I would definitely recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Purchased some furniture and accessories for our home from Capital Lighting.

Category furniture sales

07/20/2007

ERIN S.

Unhelpful, unprofessional, lots of people working, but not interested in our sale. We will go elsewhere.

Description of Work
Went into store to research lighting options for our kitchen. They did not even acknowledge that we were there. Very unfriendly, snobby, and I will never go back.

07/28/2006

SARA D.

Description of Work
I purchased my outdoor lights from this company.

02/21/2006

MARY E G.

I wanted something brighter for our kitchen, and the woman who helped me was nice and helpful. I'm also considering some ceiling fans, and the gentleman who has been helping has been extremely helpful. The customer service is phenomenal (I haven't purchased any ceiling fans, but he has been great).

Description of Work
Purchased fluorescent bulbs.

10/30/2005

LAURA L.

CAPITAL IS THE COMPANY THAT MI HOMES USES AS ITS LIGHTING SUBCONTRACTOR. A BASIC PACKAGE WAS INCLUDED IN THE PURCHASE OF THE HOME, BUT WE UPGRADED A FEW ITEMS. THE SELECTION PROCESS WAS OVERWHELMING, BUT THE SALES PERSON HELPED US GET THROUGH IT. THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT WAS NOT VERY QUICK WITH FOLLOW UP WORK, BUT IT WAS DONE WELL ONCE THEY GOT HERE.

Description of Work
INSTALLED LIGHTING THROUGHOUT NEW HOME.

10/25/2005

Tom G.

IT TOOK AWHILE FOR ANYONE TO ASK US IF WE NEEDED HELP. THEIR PRICING WAS HIGH.

Description of Work
VISITED THE STORE TO REVIEW LIGHTING OPTIONS, AND GET PRICE QUOTES.

10/06/2005

PAT E.

GREAT JOB.

Description of Work
THEY WERE VERY HELPFUL IN THE STORE.

10/05/2005

KIM B.

VERY HELPFUL STAFF. GREAT PRICE, 40% OFF RETAIL.

Description of Work
WE GOT A QUOTE FOR A TIFFANY LAMP.

07/24/2005

JEFF S.

WE FELT VERY RUSHED. OUR SALES REP WANTED US IN AND OUT OF THERE IN AN HOUR. I FELT MORE THAN A LITTLE BROWBEATEN INTO MAKING CHOICES THAT HE STEERED ME TO AND HE WAS NOT VERY FORTHCOMING ON WHAT THE PRICES WERE. I FELT IN A DAZE AND HAD NO IDEA WHAT I ACTUALLY SELECTED WHEN I LEFT. ON THE POSITIVE SIDE, HE DID SEND ME HOME WITH CATALOGS TO LOOK THROUGH WHERE I WAS ABLE TO MAKE CHANGES AND DOUBLE CHECK THE CHOICES I DID MAKE. THE DOWNSIDE OF THAT WAS THE CATALOG HAD NO PRICES SO I HAD A BIG SURPRISE AS TO THE AMOUNT I SPENT.

Description of Work
SELECTION OF LIGHTS FOR A NEW BUILD HOME.

01/05/2004

TINA & CHRIS B.

DUANE WAS A GREAT HELP TO MY HUSBAND AND MYSELF. HE GAVE US A GREAT DISCOUNT AND THE LIGHTBULBS FOR ALL THE LIGHTS FOR FREE. HE WAS VERY UP FRONT ABOUT THE LENGTH OF TIME FOR THE LIGHT TO BE ORDERED AND CALLED US BACK WHEN THE LIGHTS WERE BACKORDERED BY THE COMPANY. I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND DUANE AND CAPITAL.

Description of Work
PURCHASE LIGHTING FOR 1800 SQ FT ADDITION TO OUR HOUSE.

07/28/2002

STEVE & MARY JO C.

INITIALLY, CEILING FAN WAS PURCHASED BUT THE LIGHT KIT WAS ON BACKORDER. AFTER BEING PROMISED A PHONE CALL ONCE THE KIT CAME IN, WE NEVER RECEIVED ONE. WHEN WE CALLED TO CHECK ON IT, WE WERE TOLD IT WAS IN STOCK (AS OF WHEN, WE DON''T KNOW). WHEN FAN WAS INSTALLED, WE REALIZED A COMPONENT OF THE MOTOR WAS BROKEN. THE FAN WAS RETURNED AND WE WERE PROMISED WE WOULD BE CALLED WHEN THE REPLACEMENT PART WAS READY. AGAIN, NO CALL. WE CALLED AND WERE TOLD THE PART WAS IN. AFTER GETTING THE BOX HOME AND OPENED, WE REALIZED IT WAS THE WRONG MODEL. AFTER RETURNING TO THE STORE, WE WERE TOLD THAT OUR ORIGINAL MODEL WAS NO LONGER MADE-WHICH NO ONE BOTHERED TO TELL US WHEN WE FIRST DROPPED IT OFF. WE ENDED UP HAVING TO INSTALL THE FAN

Description of Work
I PURCHASED A CEILING FAN AND LIGHT KIT FOR INSTALLATION IN MASTER BEDROOM.

Category ceiling fans

05/31/2001

ELISABETH H.

MANAGER GAVE US 30% DISCOUNT HE USUALLY GIVES M/I OR DOMINION. HE MADE SURE ALL LIGHTS WERE IN WORKING ORDER. LABELED ALL LIGHTS SO ELECTRICIAN WOULD KNOW WHERE TO PUT THEM. ALSO GAVE US LIGHT BULBS FOR ALL THE LIGHTS, FOR FREE.

Description of Work
PURCHASED ALL OF OUR LIGHTING THERE.

09/03/1999

JAN H.

Description of Work
THEY WERE CONTRACTED THROUGH DOMINION HOMES, BUT DID NOT INSTALL CORRECT LIGHTING FIXTURES.

Wheeler Project Management L.L.C

My name is Cody Wheeler I'm trying to promote my work as much as possible to begin to start working on my own as a business owner! I have 5 years experience of remodeling, electrical and plumbing work! Please reach out! I'd be pleased to help!

2022 Super Service Award

Presence Electric Inc.

Presence Electric Inc. is a Residential, Commercial, and Industrial electrical contracting company, located in Columbus, and servicing all of Central Ohio. Our professionalism, attention to detail, and completing projects in a neat & workmanship like manner, are some of the things that keep us ahead of the competition. Whether your in the pre-planning stages, or ready to begin your next project tomorrow, give us a call! You will be glad you did!

2022 Super Service Award

Offers Coupon

Efficient Electric Corp

Efficient Electric Corp. was formed in July, 1978 in Columbus, Ohio. The company mission was, and still is, to provide quality electrical installation services to people and other companies at a reasonable price. Additionally, there have been too few companies that provide 24-hour emergency service in the central Ohio area, whether it be a homeowner who loses power in the middle of the night, or a business that loses power or has other electrical problems that interfere with the operation of the business during normal business hours. Efficient Electric Corp. provides emergency electrical service 24/7, simply by calling the office at any hour of the night or day. Efficient Electric Corp. does residential and commercial work. We do industrial work, fire alarms wiring, motor controls, electric gates, and access control systems. The company also provides fire, flood (or other calamity) restoration services.We do not do highway or high tension work. 25 employees. No subs. Charges an hourly rate. Same rates 24/7. Additional e-mail - pgabbert@efficient-electric.com, khavice@efficient-electric.com. Award winning. Additional contact name - Jim Ruisinger .

Furniture - Sales

COMMERCIAL, RESIDENTIAL, RETAIL, HOTEL AND RESTAURANT LIGHTING SALES.