Atlas Butler

Founded 1921 • With Angi since December 2013

4.3

4849 Evanswood Dr

Columbus, OH 43229

Since 1921, Atlas Butler has been providing professional heating and cooling services to families and businesses throughout Columbus, Ohio. Through the years, thousands of satisfied customers have made Atlas Butler “The Company their neighbors’ recommend.” We are proud to be on Angie’s List of Superior Service Companies and we have won the Consumer’s Choice Award for central Ohio 11 years in a row. As an award winning heating & cooling company in Columbus, customer satisfaction is our number one goal. Atlas Butler hires and trains only the best technicians to get the job done right the first time. With fully stocked trucks and our ability to service appliances of any make and model, you can trust that your heating and cooling problems will be solved the best way possible. We’re open seven days a week and offer 24-hour customer service, so we’re happy to take your call day or night. To better service you and your heating and cooling needs, we offer evening and weekend appointments....

09/20/2022

Benjamin D.

The actual replacement went well. The inconvenience arose about two weeks later. When I signed the document to have the work done, I was not told before or after the signing that any soil that did not settle back into the excavation after about two to three months would be removed, the area graded and grass seed planted. If I had been told before I signed, since not having much choice, I still would have had the work done. After signing I did not receive a copy of the invoice. About two weeks later I called Atlas Butler and requested a copy of the invoice and it was emailed to me. It was then that I read on the invoice the stipulation that they wouldn’t do what I stated above. In my opinion, the job I hired them to do is NOT FINISHED until the ground is grated, the excess soil removed and the grass seed planted and covered with straw. If there is the slightest reason you think you will need a partial or complete sewer line replacement, DO NOT CALL ATLAS BUTLER!

Description of Work
Partial sewer line replacement

Category appliance repair, plumbing

06/19/2022

Casey A.

I left my wife with out 6 week old baby at home and the ac went out, she called AB and paid the 89.99. They had a “technician” in our home in 2 hours, VERY FAST. The technician stuck his head out the back door, glanced at our unit, and refused to touch it because it’s “too old”. He then looked at our furnace and shut the gas off without my permission, and started his pitch to terrify my wife. He used words like “carbon monoxide, dangerously, legally” and brought my wife to tears as he packed up, and left after 15 minutes. They then sent a second person out an hour later and tried to get her to sign for a $11,000 loan for a whole new system. All while I was at work. The disgusting part? Nobody even opened the unit. But they were quick to use my baby as leverage for a sale. Second opinion, was a simple phone call, to another local business. They gave me a quote of $5000 for a whole new system over the phone, with install. Third opinion, technician came out, found the source of the issue in my system, fixed it, and was out in under an hour for $150. He also checked my furnace and laughed when he couldn’t find anything wrong with it as this is typical of Atlas Butler. If you value your finances and your mental health do yourself a favor and check elsewhere before calling Alice Butler. All they did was take my money and start a bunch of drama that did not need to happen in my home.

Description of Work
You pay 89.99 for them to come out to you and sign a loan.

Category appliance repair

09/04/2021

James L.

For years I have used them but now they don't provide the same quality of the job as before. They are more concerned on looking for some faults on my house to make business. They don't give me enough detailed description to make a decision about the repairs.

Description of Work
HVAC

02/09/2021

Douglas I.

Ok i suppose i should start off with we had atlas butler out to our house to look at our furnace back march of 2006. the furnace wouldn't stay running. they diagnosed it to be a cracked heat exchanger. so we meet with there salesman Randy Jackson the next day and we purchased back then top of the line atlas butler equipment furnace and ac unit. this system cost us 13780.00 dollars. they were supper fast with getting scheduled. it was 2 days they where out and did the install. took better part of the day but when they was done we had new working equipment. around about the 5 hr the furnace stops running. call them up they have a tech out within a couple hrs. he tells us the problem is dirty ductwork!!! i asked him how it was dirty they just installed a brand new unit. and they didn't clean the duct work before install. the tech referred me to my salesman at 1130 at night. so i had to wait till the next mooring to talk to mr. Jackson. he called me as soon as he got to the office and told me that duct cleaning was not part of installing a new unit and it was going to cost me 700 bucks for them to come clean my ductwork. after 2 days of arguing the fact that the duct work should of been cleaned as part of the install they came out and cleaned all ductwork and cleaned the brand new furnace. we was happy customers. we purchased several service packages over the years that brought them out to service our units twice a year usually early spring and mid fall. everything has been just fine for years. hear we will jump to 2-8-2021. i have to call them to come out and diagnose a problem with again the pilot light keeps going out and shutting the system down. Nicholas was the tech that came out my app was between 2 and 4 he calls me 20 minutes after scheduling and says they had a cancelation and he can be hear in 15 minutes. I said that's great. he shows up hooks a volt meter to a cupule sensors and tells me that i have a dirt issue. he also tells me that if i want to save 150 bucks i can pull the fan motor and housing out and clean it. its easy to do and me being some what inclined i can do no problem he tells me he 98% positive this is the problem. but in the chance its not give us a call we will come back out. ok cool i can do this save some money. cleaned the fan the motor the housing it sits in and the furnace and the duct work right there around where the air inters the fan housing. put it back together and to no avail we still have pilot light going out we call them back up and Nicholas reappears with his trusty tool bag and commends me on such a good cleaning job. but says the unit is just not moving enough air. so he goes to the back of the furnace and opens the condenser coils and say wow this is your problem right hear for sure. the coils on the inside was covered with a layer of dirt and nastiness. i ask him how much its going to cost for them to clean it. AND THAT FOLKS is were it goes all side ways. he says to me it is beyond cleaning in the furnace he would have to cut my Freon line remove the coils and hose them out and then replace them and re fill the ac unit after doing a expensive leak test. and the cost is going to be upwards of 2300.00 to fix and a system 15 years old isn't worth putting that much into and we should consider meeting with a salesman about getting a new system. after picking my jaw up off the floor i asked him if this was the worst he has seen he say yes. now there was not even 16th of an inch of crap on there. now I know there should be nothing. but these people have been coming in my house taking my money telling me my **** is good and now its going to cost me 2300 or more to fix. he said yes. i told him i wasn't paying that. he wished me luck on cleaning it. left the unit takin apart and left. now after about 20 minutes of fuming over this i went to Obetz hardware bought a piece of cpvc 3/4inch by 20 inches long 2 90 degree 2 45 degree elbows cost 6.89 came home cleaned the coils out completely started the unit and it has been running like a camp every since. so for atlas butler I'm done. them trying to get thousands and thousands of dollars around hear is done I WILL NOT BE DOING BUSSINESS WITH THEM EVER AGIAN!!!!!!!!! and to think that i have been paying them to inspect my equipmen and then tell me its my fault. last i checked i payed and trusted this business to inspect and keep my equipment running and yall failed misserably. but for 7 bucks i fixed it my dam self!!

Description of Work
i need them to diagnose what was wrong with my furnace due to the pilot light continually going and shutting down the system

Category appliance repair, heating & air conditioning/hvac

12/01/2020

Nicole S.

There is an amazing man named Mike who works for Atlas Butler. He just came out to my house and fixed my furnace that had stopped working in the middle of the night when it was 30 degrees outside. I am stuck on quarantine with COVID 19 and no one /and no other company wanted to come and fix the furnace as they did not want to get the virus. Makes sense to me, and I totally understand. Mike had already had the virus and heard that I needed to be helped out. So he came to the rescue. Thank you Mike for taking the risk and coming to fix my furnace so that I could be warm in this snowy weather.

Description of Work
furnace repair

Category appliance repair

11/24/2020

Barbara W.

The service was a 100% excellent, I have recommend them to other people.

Description of Work
Maintenance and service Plumbing, AC, Furnace

08/05/2020

Tom G.

To provide a comprehensive review I will address the entire story of my recent interaction wth Atlas Butler that includes some history as well. Before writing this review please note that I attempted to resolve directly with Atlas Butler and called them twice on 8/3 and 8/4 only to be told that the "person" was neot available and he/she did not return my call. I paid $89 for a diagnostic that was clearly a money grab for additional service. I appreciated that Atlas Butler had after hours service at the same rate as normal hours. The technician - Mike - came out around 10:00-11 PM. Please note that we purchased my entire HVAC set up with Atlas Butler 12-13 years ago. I have had service plans intermittently throughout those 13 years. They have serviced my equipment up until this point and I was never dissatisfied. I never liked the hard sell throughout those years but felt they always did a nice job. I purchased a whole house dehumidifier for over 2k - works great and also purchased a "hard start coil" that apparently helps the system run better without the immediate surge when the unit turns on. However, with al that said this interaction was horrible and my attempt to resolve directly with the company was clearly not a priority for them. Upon arrival the technician and I went to the outside to the air handler and he immediately stated "you have a leak". He stated he has seen this numerous times and that the low coolant causes low pressure in the system and there is a low pressure switch that is engaged and shuts off the system. He stated that he knows that 90%of the time the leak is in the evaporator coil above the furnace in the ducts. He started gave me some talk about high pressure(outside) and low pressure(inside) leaks. He stated that he was sorry to provide me the bad news but that will cost $4300 but if I bought a service contract it could be about $3000. Then he went to the nuclear option: by saying that if your are spending that much you may as well buy a new system (which includes the evaporator coil) and is new equipment and has a warranty for another 10 years and the cost was $5-10k. At that point I was done. He then removed the cap from the valve in the coolant lines - depressed it with a small pointed tool and sprayed out coolant again advising me that this was low. He attached one of his two hoses of his pressure gauge and and informed me that the coolant was low. He stated that if I agreed to a service plan and commit to at least buying the evaporator coil he would replenish the coolant. I said it was 11 pm and while I appreciated his visit I would not commit to something that expensive without further thought. I asked if he could replace coolant and I would arrange to see his sales person the next day - he said it was illegal to replace a coolant that is leaking- despite his offer just prior to replace if I purchased a service contract and equipment. . HMMM...... At this point I need to explain that I have the new coolant (R410A) and not the old outdated coolant (R22). So now I was really done with this guy - I paid his $89 and scooted him out. I immediately went to Angie's list and looked at some other local options with positive reviews (thankfully for all of us there are many). I selected CJS, they came out and the technician actually conducted a complete diagnostic and identified a circuit board that malfunctioned causing the fan to shut down and the repair was $600. And he also hooked up both gauges to the coolant lines and explained that the pressure was within acceptable ranges. Hmmmm.

Description of Work
My AC Air Handler (outside fan) would turn on and off and house would not cool.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

We appreciate your feedback and it has been shared with our leadership team.

07/20/2020

ERIC L.

They have been very good, reliable, and I would recommend them.

Description of Work
I have been using them for 15 years for heating and ac maintenance.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you! We appreciate the opportunity to be of service and your recommendation!

06/24/2020

AL P.

It was excellent, professional and friendly.

Description of Work
They put in a new furnace and AC.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thannk you - happy to be of service!

05/28/2020

Subrata D.

Atlas Butler did a diagnostic service today for my AC unit and determined that the dual capacitor needs to be replaced and quoted a price of $499 to replace the part. I agreed to the repair and the repair was completed. I paid the technician in full. Later I called a few other local HVAC repair companies and was quoted a price between $249 and $285 for the same repair. The part itself was less than $30 on Amazon. I called Atlas Butler and let them know of my concern and the company representative dismissed my concern as "This is our pricing" This is clearly price gouging and taking advantage of an ignorant customer. In hindsight, I should have called other companies before agreeing to the repair. I feel cheated by the Atlas Butler and will never use them again. Also, I would recommend others to stay away from this company. There are many other companies who will give better service at much lower prices.

Description of Work
HVAC repair

04/19/2020

PAT M.

Great - I have used Atlas Butler Plumbing several times.

Description of Work
Replaced a wall-hung toilet and a water heater

Category water heater repair, air duct cleaning

02/28/2020

Kathryn H.

The technician came out to give me a quote on a water replacement. His quote was $1000 higher than the other two quotes I'd received. I said, loud, "that's insane, thanks for at least coming out early so I can still go to work today". I also asked specific questions about the models they install before he gave me the price quote, and he told me that no gas water heaters are really energy star rated. So, they're both horribly over priced, and full of crap.

Description of Work
Water heater install

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, water heater repair

02/25/2020

Barbara W.

We've been using them for plumbing, furnace, and all things like that. They know what they're doing, and they come when they said they would come.

Description of Work
They replaced two faucet. They also installed two air conditioner, and furnace.

01/02/2020

mary ann M.

When I called for service I was told that this was not an emergency and no one would be coming out. Christmas Eve.....many things to do. They said they could have someone out on the 26th. That would mean two days of a sink full of dirty stagnant water. Being a loyal customer means nothing to Atlas Butler. I called twice after Christmas and each time I was told someone would call me back. I wanted to cancel my maintenance plan with them. No one ever called me back. Today in the mail I got a bill for $77 for canceling early. It would have been nice if someone had called me. By the way I ended up calling Mr. Rooter on Christmas Eve and they were out within two hours.

Description of Work
I have been an Atlas Butler customer for many years. I am on their maintenance plan. On Christmas Eve my kitchen sink backed up.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, plumbing

We apologize that your experience has not been ideal and your comments have been shared with the leadership team. Thank you for your feedback.

11/07/2019

DJ M.

Atlas- Butler tech told me I needed a new furnace for $5000-$6000 and said mine was dangerous, etc. and disconnected it. I called another company and the other guy had furnace running in 3 minutes, tested it for CO2, and it was fine. I gave the Atlas Butler guy a check and it cleared bank in 3 days. . A week later Atlas Butler mailed me an invoice, saying I hadn't paid anything. Never again! Find somebody else.

Description of Work
Furnace Repair

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We are very sorry for the confusion with your payment. Your comments have been shared with the leadership team.

09/06/2019

Matt H.

My AC broke last year. The salesman was pushy and rude. He tried to sell me an entire system (furnace and AC) and change basically everything about it. Estimated cost for this was > $10k. He wouldn't even give me a quote for just the AC replacement. I've never had an HVAC sales rep refuse to give me a quote. I ended up getting quotes for both from other reputable companies. They were all at least $2k less. None refused to quote only the AC replacement. I'm totally confused by how this company's ratings on several review sites are so high. Maybe their techs are really good, but I didn't even go past the quote phase with them.

Description of Work
Replace AC unit

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

We are sorry to hear your experience has not been ideal. Your comments have been shared with the Management team as well as our Customer Service team so that this can be further investigated.

08/14/2019

Gary E.

Perfect! They were on time and professional. We have him for 3 years now and we don't have a plan on stopping it.

Description of Work
They checked to make sure that the heating and air conditioner are working fine.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your kind words - we appreciate your business!

05/31/2019

Dan B.

They came out to check our heat pump and was told there was a leak in one of the lines and we were out of refrigerant. Tech told us that the leak could not be repaired and that we would need to get a new unit. He told us no company could repair it. He tried to get us to agree to have a salesperson come out the next day. We called another company and the had the leak repaired and back up and running in about an hour, for only a few hundred dollars.

Description of Work
Ac was not working

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your comments. They have been shared with our leadership team.

05/29/2019

Marcia S.

It has been a negative experience over the course of several years. Atlas Butler installed a new furnace and it had many issues from the beginning. Due to the warranty, they replaced the furnace, but that was only the start of the issues. I believe when they installed the second furnace, they used inferior parts, but would charge us to replace them and we had to have the coil replaced twice in less than 8 years. Their technicians are friendly, but have to deal with the inferior equipment installed. We had the maintenance plan, however, our furnace or AC unit frequently broke before we could do the maintenance and were then charged a service fee, parts, and labor for fixing it. When trying to discuss these issues with "supervisors"" I was treated poorly and with few solutions except costly ones for me. I would never utilize their company again and recommend that you do not either. I do not feel that a furnace/AC unit less than 10 years old should have had to be rebuilt twice in that time. They install inferior equipment so that they can charge you each year for something else that breaks. It will be such a relief to never see their truck pull in my driveway again.

Description of Work
Furnace and Air Conditioning unit

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your comments. They have been shared with our leadership team.

04/23/2019

Annette M.

They are excellent and very efficient. I have never been disappointed and would highly recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
They installed a new HVAC system in my home and they have serviced it since then.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate your business!

11/01/2018

tim R.

ABSOLUTELY the WORST consumer experience I have ever had with a purchased product!!! Overpriced equipment, overpriced parts and service, unreliable equipment and terrible customer service. Got stuck having to buy one of their York Systems 12 years ago and have had nothing but problems. Secondary Heat exchanger failed twice in 12 years and had numerous repairs. Service Techs always trying to sell unnecessary items at super inflated prices. They admitted the equipment they installed in the past years has had a high failure rate due to poor design and improper installations resulting in a high rate of heat exchanger failures. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!! THERE ARE MUCH BETTER OPTIONS OUT THERE.

Description of Work
HVAC System Install & Maintenance

10/05/2018

Diane M.

Saw ad for this at cost of $59. Scheduled service but they failed to show. So rescheduled and they guarantee next service is free if they fail to show up. They did arrive on time but the visit was clearly a show up only. They stood over pump and asked if it was working. They did show me how to fill the backup battery. But they did not "inspect" the pump. Did not pull it out, did not test it. Etc. They knew the visit was free so they did a cursory visit. Cant imagine paying $59 for this.

Description of Work
Sump pump inspection

09/12/2018

steve W.

Flawless. 4 hour installation.Professional and provided explanations.

Description of Work
heating unit and central air replaced

09/11/2018

David S.

Great. Fast Friendly service. Would hire again.

Description of Work
Mainterence

09/07/2018

UNG HO Y.

They missed diagnosed it my AC. They quoted me on the wrong thing and said it was going to be over $1000.00 to fix. So I called another company and they told me it was just the capacitor and it would be only a couple hundred dollars. The second company I called fixed it.

Description of Work
They did a diagnosis on my AC