GREAT SCAPES BY E S I INC

Founded 1982 • With Angi since May 2005

102 E Bay Front Rd

Deale, MD 20751

MOST SERVICES ARE COMPLETED BY IN HOUSE TRAINED PROFESSIONALS, VERY FEW SUB-CONTRACTORS. 20 EMPLOYEES, PAYMENTS ON A WEEKLY DRAW SCHEDULE, COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB/PER SQUARE FOOT. SPECIAL PRICING FOR OVER 1000 SQ FT. MILITARY, LAW ENFORCEMENT AND FIRE FIGHTER DISCOUNTS

03/23/2017

Brian K.

Great craftsmanship. Rick, the owner of Great Scapes, was easily reachable throughout the project and addressed all of our concerns. He truly exceeded our expectations for service and ensured we were 100% satisfied.

Description of Work
12'x20' paver patio with sitting wall, bubbling rock water feature, LED lighting, regrading, flagstone steps, and 6 tons of river jack.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

05/26/2016

Oliver S.

Their crews worked hard to get everything beautiful, and beautiful it is, and now the paver patio is where we seem to spend most of our time, and usually with a fire. W love the work, and we love the professionalism of the company. Great job, Great Scapes!

Description of Work
After building our sun room, we wanted an outdoor space to grill and generally hang out. After speaking with several companies, we decided to go with Great Scapes, and boy, did we make a great decision!

Category masonry, fireplaces, hardscaping, patios

04/09/2015

Debbie K.

Very expensive. Higher than anybody that came to give an estimate.

Description of Work
Came out to give an estimate for an 8 x 10 brick patio. Wanted to charge $4600.

Category patios

04/07/2015

SABRINA B.

I talked to them about a month ago, had a conversation with someone. Said that someone will come out to give a estimate never came out and did the work. Also about 2 weeks ago they called me and said someone will come out but the same thing happened, not very happy with this company.

Description of Work
Wanted to hire them for landscaping

Category landscaping

12/06/2014

Lori B.

eThe short version: The job was fairly priced. The work was completed on time, at the bid price with no surprises. The contractor was always available, including giving me his cell phone number and the cell numbers of two of his lead workers. Workmanship was excellent and the final product has been complemented by several neighbors. Rick was open to suggestions, had good solutions for every problem and is generally completely trustworthy. It was hard to find a contractor willing and able to do this job. Several contractors visited the site and then declined to bid on the job or simply never called back. After several months interviewing contractors one decided the job was too difficult and recommended calling Rick Heilburg at Great Scapes by ESI Inc. This turned out to be a great tip. Rick impressed me with his clear competence at our first meeting. We met at the property to discuss the project. Rick clearly grasped the difficulty of the job and eased my concerns by describing his experience with large retaining walls and how he would shelter the site from rain to avoid disaster. Rick is a good listener. After discussion he agreed to price an option to extend the retaining wall by adding a 10' radius 1/4 circle where the existing wall had a 90 degree return. He also agreed to price out an option to have his crew sort through the existing stone and deliver all the good stone I wanted to my back yard. In short order Rick drew up a plan to scale and a fixed price contract for removal and replacement of the existing wall with options for adding the curve and delivering any good stone to my residence including his crew moving the stone into my back yard by wheelbarrow and placing it wherever I wanted. The options were well priced, $200 per load to salvage and deliver any good stone I elected to take, $2800 to add the curve to the wall, $880 for a drainage box at the top and 90' of drain pipe I requested and $1,780 for engineering and permit fees. Rick only asked for the engineering and permit fees as a down payment. He estimated the job would take 6 weeks to complete after the permit was issued and proposed payment at $6000 each week with the balance due. He also said he would start as soon as he got the permit. Indeed Rick got the permit on a Wednesday and I met him at the site on Thursday. His crew spent that day building a fence around the work site (to protect neighborhood children) and preparing for rain protection. The job came of flawlessly, I now have about 13 tons of good stone in my back yard. The job was finished in the 6 weeks Rick estimated and looks to be there forever. Rick exceeded my expectations in every way.

Description of Work
The work was done at a rental home I own in Silver Spring MD, not at my residence. Great Scapes by ESI Inc. replaced a 70' long dry stone retaining wall built in 1958 that rose from 3' near the street to almost 7' high across the side of the house and turned 90 degrees holding a steep grade in the back yard. The wall was deteriorated, partially collapsed and further collapse threatened my house and my neighbor's property.

Category hardscaping

Rick said it was a pleasure working with both of you and hopes to work with you again in the future! Happy holidays.

11/19/2014

John S.

It was a real pleasure to work with great Scapes. Very professional and helpful. They were also very patient as we worked through several design iterations before choosing a final design. The paver installation took 6 working days. The installers did a beautiful job, were friendly and courteous, and cleaned up all debris. Also had more gravel put down over the existing driveway area. Again, a beautiful job.

Description of Work
Designed parking area , walkways, and garden, and installed pavers.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Thank you so much [member name removed] for your review. It was a pleasure to work with you and we hope to work with you again sometime in the future. Carol

08/21/2014

Robert T.

It took a while - maybe 10 days - but they were very professional and helpful.

Description of Work
Replaced the driveway and the front walkway to the front door and front patio with pavers. Replaced the rear patio with pavers creating a free form stone wall and waterfall. Beautifully done.

Category concrete driveways, landscaping, masonry, driveway pavers, hardscaping, patios

We're so glad you're happy, thank you for your review. We greatly appreciate it.

07/25/2014

Gina H.

It was perfect. They gave me ideas I had not even thought of. They did everything they promised and more. Very professional.

Description of Work
Patio and walkway to deck.

Category hardscaping, patios

Thank you for your review. Please contact us if we can help you in your future with any other project.

07/24/2014

David W.

Everything is perfect. I couldn't be any happier. They did a great job and it looks beautiful. They were professional and cleaned up every day very well. They called back to address any concerns and made sure I was happy. The owner was here at least once every day during the job and came back and walked everything with me to make sure I was happy.

Description of Work
They did a slate walkway up to the front door, put a stone on the foundation around the house, and put up a stone wall in the backyard.

Category landscaping, masonry, hardscaping

[removed member name], thank you so much for your review! Please keep us in mind for any future projects.

07/24/2014

Jill C.

It went great! They were timely, efficient, and polite. Everything we talked about happened!

Description of Work
They did a paver patio with a waterfall.

Category landscaping, hardscaping, patios

[removed member name] - Thank you so much for review! Please keep us in mind for your next project.

02/25/2014

Gary S.

Category hardscaping

Thank you so much for your review! Please keep us in mind for your next project.

09/12/2013

Lynne J.

The initial visit 3 years ago was great. The gentleman who came out to price the job was very professional, sounded like he knew what he was doing, and gave us a good price for the work. Not the least expensive, but not the most expensive so we signed the contract. They started to run over time-wise as they got to the top and the supervisor came and told them to hurry up. I was concerned at how quickly and sloppy the work at the top of the chimney was, so I asked several times why they were not scoring the concrete before applying the stone like they did lower down on the chimney, but the workers who spoke almost no English and the supervisor who spoke very good English both told me it was fine. About 3 months ago the stone started falling off the top of the chimney, we've had to rope off the area so no one gets hurt, we called them and first they said it wasn't their problem and that the warranty had expired. We argued that the work wasn't done correctly, and so they said they would send someone out to look at it and give us a price to repair it. We waited around all day and the person never came out to look at the work. He never called to reschedule, he just left us hanging. Very unprofessional, especially considering the price we paid.

Description of Work
Stone faced the chimney, two stories high.

Category chimney repair

06/02/2012

Michelle H.

While there are parts of this project that turned out well and we like very much, there's too many 'bad' things. Let me start with the "good":The new front paver walkway and flagstone steps are beautiful. When we noticed the installers were making the new front steps too shallow, against our agreed upon depth, I contacted the company and the problem was fixed the next day before the installers were able to finish installing the wrong depth. The new large paver patio is nice. They did not properly slope the patio away from the existing deck's steps so, during times of heavy rain, all the water on the patio rolls to the bottom of the steps creating a lake. All this water rushes through the new flower beds and takes with it the mulch. The water then rushes under the deck and erodes the ground. We were able to fix ourselves by installing gravel under the deck. The landscape lighting is very nice and illuminates the trees and grounds as we'd hoped. Two of the lights were not placed where we were told they'd be but where they ended up turned out to be OK with us anyway. And that's it for the good. Now, the 'bad". It's difficult to pick a place to start on this list. This project was begun and ended in the middle of winter, 2010...the winter we had so very much snow and extremely cold temperatures. We were worried about the extreme cold and the mixing of mortar for the hardscapes. Rick (the owner) ensured his 'guys' knew how to properly mix mortar in cold temps so it wouldn't freeze. Unfortunately, they did not. Come April, we had multiple failures. We were able to flip over stones with just a tip of our fingernail. Great Scapes returned on at least 4 different occasions to fix these failures. On one trip, one entire wall had to be basically demolished and re-built. To this day, 2+ years later, we are still experiencing multiple failures; the largest failure now is the flagstone seating wall is coming apart. We'll either have to educate ourselves on how to repair these crumbling/loose stones or we'll have to find another company to come in and repair. When the technician came in April/May 2010 to show us how to operate the in-ground sprinkler, he'd planned on being at our house about 10-20 minutes to turn the system on, ensure it was operating properly and train us on the control box. The tech was at our house the better part of the entire day. There were multiple failures at junction points. The glue they used to attach runs of underground piping failed...also due to extreme cold. To date, the systems is still working; however, it does take some coaxing from us to get it to begin working after a winter's rest. They did not properly run the gutter drainage under the new patio. They directed the underground piping directly into the backyard about 3 feet from the edge of the patio. Everytime it rains, the ground floods creating mud puddles which my dogs have to step in to get back in the house. They should have directed the drainage toward the front driveway. I live on a hill; the driveway should have been the obvious choice. It was not. My husband was able to fix this problem himself. As with projects like these, which took about 5 weeks I believe, we were not able to be home during the day. So, the house was locked while the workers were here installing. We did not ever see a port-o-john so where the workers were able to answer nature's call is still in question. I do know my dogs got into a mysterious brown liquefied and very smelly substance in the very back part of yard (in the trees) behind the shed. The landscape workers denied doing this and, instead, suggested perhaps the HVAC guys who were there one day were the culprits. This was obviously ridiculous to us because we were home with the HVAC installers as they had to get inside the house to install the new units. Why would anybody go outside in the middle of winter to drop a watery deuce when the bathrooms inside the house were accesible? I truly wish we'd called in the county health department but, in all honesty, we were terrified what they'd uncover. Weeds! I don't know where Great Scapes kept their plants, mulch, dirt, whatever, but come April/May of that first year, we had more weeds than we'd ever experienced in the previous 10 years in the house, combined. Everyday we'd get home from work and immediately start yanking weeds. We took a week's vacation in July; when we returned, the weeds had completed engulfed the new beds. With no other recourse, in some of the beds we had to yank out all of the new plants and mulch Great Scapes installed and started over; some we used so much Round-Up, we ended up killing everything anyway. It is still so bad, we have not invited any family or friends to our house to see our new landscape project because, in a word, it is simply embarassing. Embarassing that our friends and family knew how much we saved and spent on this project and ended up with what we got. And, it gets even worse...the firewall. Great Scapes did not build us a firewall, they built us a fire hazard. This hazard was confirmed by 2 separate propane companies who we tried to get to install a propane tank. When the propane companies came, they took one look at the 'firewall' and immediately refused to install a tank. They both recognized the extremely hazardous construction of the firewall. There were no safety devices installed. Great Scapes simply installed a pipe with hand drilled holes and a 1/4 turn valve. That's it. The underground copper tubing was buried too shallow as well. When we brought this situation to Great Scapes attention, they did NOTHING to help us. After several contacts, we started getting the standard, "this is how we've done this for 30 years and have never had a problem". After hearing this several times, I finally had to ask, "You mean to tell me in 30 years you've learned nothing new? With all of today's latest and greatest, you've picked up nothing new?". Finally, Great Scapes relented and their answer was to refund us the small portion we paid for the piping. They did not show any concern whatsoever for our possible loss of life and home due to their negligence. What was the hazard? There was nothing to stop the 1/4 turn valve from being turned on (like a branch falling on it, somebody possibly stepping on it, a playful dog stepping on it, etc). This would allow propane to fill the fire box area and when it was full of gas, the gas would roll down hill on the patio. The downhill ran directly to our 2 outdoor A/C units; when they cycled on, there'd be a spark and there'd be fire. Our house was in danger of burning down due to Great Scapes negligence. We had to contract with another company to come in, rip out what Great Scapes built, and build us a proper and safe firewall. This new company also pulled proper building permits so Calvert county came in for inspections. Yes, we live in Calvert County...which, at the time we contracted with Great Scapes, they serviced. However, looking at their Angie's List page and the areas they cover, Calvert county is not listed. I can not believe other counties have so lax buidling and safety standards such that Great Scapes is able to continue installing these fire hazards. Great Scapes came highly recommended from some Southern Maryland online forum sites so we decided to give them a chance. Rick, the owner, came to our house, walked through the project and gave his advice and guidance. He seemed so knowledgeable, having done this type of work for 30 years, we decided to not talk to any other companies. That was the worst mistake we've ever made and we learned our lesson...a $38,000 lesson. If you have a very small project, i.e., installing a small walkway, a patio or new steps, this may be an OK company to contract with. Just make sure you don't have any 'extras' needed and, by all means, please have a place for them to use bathroom facilities.

Description of Work
We hired Great Scapes to install a new front walkway with pavers, flagstone entry steps, several retaining walls, terraced flower beds, new plantings, large paver patio, flagstone seating wall, firewall, landscape lighting and in-ground sprinkler system.

05/02/2012

Raul N.

Excellent. Easy to work with. Work was performed on time and done well

Description of Work
New walkway in front of house including new front set and landing.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

Thank you for your review. Please contact us if you need any other work done. We greatly appreciate your business.

12/19/2009

FRED H.

Rick Heiberger of Great Scapes responded very quickly for our request to give us an estimate and recommendations for a paver patio and decorative wall in our back yard. We had estimates by seven contractors and Great Scapes was the lowest price, with quality equal to or better than the rest. Rick provided helpful suggestions without any pressure. The work was started and finished exactly as scheduled. When an unexpected problem with ground water arose, Great Scapes installed an additional drain pipe without charge. Final landscaping and cleanup were done perfectly.

Description of Work
Install a concrete paver patio, walk and decorative wall around our deck in the back yard.

Category landscaping, hardscaping

We all appreciate your great reference and it was a pleasure working with you. Enjoy the Holidays and call us if we can be of any further help. Sincerely, Beverly Heiberger, Quality Manager

05/22/2005

GINNY M.

EARTH SCAPES GAVE US AN EXTREMELY FAIR ESTIMATE WHEN BIDDING OUT TO DIFFERENT COMPANIES FOR THIS JOB. AFTER WE SIGNED THE CONTRACT, THE CREW SHOWED UP WHEN THEY SAID THEY WOULD BE HERE AND DID THE JOB QUICKLY, NEATLY AND BEAUTIFULLY!

Description of Work
REMOVED ASPHALT DRIVEWAY AND INSTALLED A TUMBLED PAVER DRIVEWAY TO ATTACH TO TUMBLED PAVER SIDEWALK THAT LEADS TO REAR OF OUR HOME.

Category hardscaping

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR COMPLIMENTARY LETTER. PLEASE CALL US IF WE CAN BE OF ANY FURTHER ASSISTANCE TO YOU. SINCERELY, BEVERLY HEIBERGER, GREAT SCAPES BY ESI, 800-327-8489

Maryland Lighting & Sprinklers

Maryland Lighting and Sprinklers is a local veteran owned company that services both residential and commercial customers. From service to installation we are the leading company for irrigation, and outdoor lighting. We offer 24hr service for all irrigation customers as well.

First Class Chimney Services LLC

First Class Chimney Services experienced technicians arrive when they say they will. We provide a level of customer service satisfaction in the chimney business. Our employees are constantly commended on their professionalism & dedication to customer satisfaction. Our Certified Chimney Technicians are experts in regular cleanings, pointing & retouching, & restorations authentic to the original masonry. Whether you're building a new home, restoring a fireplace, or just building a walk. Our entire team is committed to meeting those needs. As a result, a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers & referrals that we have for the last years 30 years. Our mission is to provide you with the information & quality service you need at a reasonable rate. Call us for your free estimate.

JS Landscaping LLC

We are a company that brings landscaping to the community of Anne Arundel County. We are focused on bringing the best quality with attention and details. Landscaping can be stressful and time consuming. Don’t waste time doing it by yourself. Let our experts help you get the job done. When Pasadena, MD, residents want experienced exterior home care, they come to JS Landscaping. We have 10 years of experience and have been in business for 3 years. You can rest assured that we have you covered.

Offers Coupon

DESIGN SERVICES & INSTALLATION,CUSTOM OUTDOOR KITCHENS, FIREPITS, FIREPLACES, TRAVERTINE, FLAGSTONE & PAVER PATIOS, WALKWAYS, DRIVEWAYS, LANDSCAPING, HARDSCAPES, POOL DECKS, POOL REHAB & NEW POOL CONSTRUCTION, CUSTOM STONE VENEER HOUSES, RETAINING WALLS, GRADING, DRAINAGE & EXCAVATION, WATERFALLS & FOUNTAINS, IRRIGATION AND SPRINKLER SYSTEMS

LAWN & YARD MAINTENANCE, TREE REMOVAL.