Top Notch Remodeling Inc

Founded 1999 • With Angi since August 2004

*We are currently book out until April 2021. we apologize for the inconvenience. If you are still interested please call us directly at 630-854-8558. We are a medium sized remodeling company that specializes in residential and commercial interior and exterior remodeling. We are lead certified (RRP with the EPA) from start to finish we handle it all, we include everything from the start so we always finish on time and on budget. Award winning....

A Service Provider's profile image

+96 more images

home remodeling (67)basement remodeling (40)drywall (38)interior painting (32)electrician (32)tile installation (29)plumbers (24)lighting (23)flooring (22)woodworking (17)door installation (15)countertop installation (12)

10/06/2021

John K.

Creative design, quality work, great communication, kind dependable communicative construction team, completed right on schedule for a competitive price. You literally can’t ask for more. I’ve never had a better construction experience. The basement turned out amazing! Thank you!

Description of Work
Finish Basement

Category basement remodeling

Work Completed On 09/15/2021

Review for Top Notch Remodeling Inc - 12040 S Aero Dr, Plainfield, IL - 39499126

08/09/2021

leslie F.

It was a pleasure working with Top Notch Remodel. Mike Kennedy (owner) is personable, professional, and punctual. He is upfront and honest, prices are fair. The staff is extremly professional, friendly, and very punctual. They get in, do the job and it's QUAILITY work. I highly reccomend Top Notch Remodeling for your remodeling needs. We are so glad we went with Top Notch Remodeling. We do not have any regreats what so ever.

Description of Work
3 bathrooms remodeled

Category custom cabinets, ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, glass repair, hardwood floor, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, marble & granite, home remodeling, interior painters, Uncategorized

Work Completed On 07/05/2021

04/15/2021

Jackie H.

Love our new home! Mike was the only contractor of three to say "yes, we can do that". Not the least expensive but was definitely the most organized and efficient from the onset. Before the end of the initial meeting had cad drawings to show where everything would be placed. Jack and Andy our workers were always on time, courteous, efficient and tidy. The quality of their workmanship is exceptional. Would definitely recommend.

Description of Work
in law suite in daughter and son in law's basement - bedroom, bathroom with steam shower, living room and kitchenette

Category custom cabinets, contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, countertops, drywall, electrician, picture framing, glass repair, lighting, remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/01/2020

10/09/2020

Rogene M.

Awesome. No financial surprises, minimal product delay due to Covid-19. Any changes I needed to make, Mike welcomed and the crew was efficient, polite, and did great work. They were always on time.

Description of Work
Finish a bathroom, no roughed plumbing.

Category electrician, picture framing, insulation, lighting, plumbing, marble & granite, architect, interior painters, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 10/09/2020

09/29/2020

Mary Jo M.

I am elated with the whole experience. Michael was easy to work with and offered great ideas. He provided a list of suppliers that were also informative and easy to work with. I especially liked that I was able to choose the products that I wanted used and that controlled the price. Top Notch charges for the labor and supplies needed to complete the job. Robert was the main worker on the job and he was great. I appreciated not having several workers in and out during COVID-19. There were a few unexpected delays and that is to be expected especially during a pandemic. My kitchen turned out better than I expected and I will call Top Notch for future work. In fact I have recommended them to my own family. All experiences should be this good. Mary Jo, Plainfield

Description of Work
A full kitchen renovation and wooden floors throughout the house.

Category architect, home remodeling

Work Completed On 07/27/2020

Review for Top Notch Remodeling Inc - 12040 S Aero Dr, Plainfield, IL - 38910550

09/28/2020

Andrea M.

Our project is set to begin in the next few weeks. Thus far Michael has been a god send as we have a horrific experience with a different contractor. HIRE TOPNOTCH! Michael is so kind and professional. I am 100% confident he will master this project. I will provide additional feedback as the project progresses.

Description of Work
Basement finishing

Category basement remodeling

Work Completed On 09/28/2020

07/28/2020

Amanda W.

Amazing! Love the work they did. You cant even tell slider was not original to 70 year old house. They also added a small deck that looks amazing and updated our sun room. Cleaned up all there work and left yard as clean as when started. I gave their name to all family and friends for anyone needing any work done. Already planning on using them for kitchen remodel next year! Amazing company, highly recommend.

Description of Work
Slider added to bedroom and porch

Category decks, remodeling, architect

Work Completed On 07/28/2020

05/23/2020

Brent G.

Top Notch Remodeling Inc. recently finished a theater room in my basement. I received five different bids for the job and Top Notch was by the far the best priced bid without sacrificing quality. Michael and his team are extremely professional, and there was not a moment throughout the entire process I didn't know what was going on. Arek and Christian were incredible, working long days to finish the project ahead of schedule for me. The quality of the final product surpassed my lofty expectations and I now have a great family and entertaining space. I will be using Top Notch Remodeling for all my future needs and I can't recommend them enough for your next project.

Description of Work
Add home theater to my basement

Category drywall, electrician, picture framing, architect, interior painters, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 05/11/2020

05/14/2020

Edward J.

Mike was most helpful. He made the work I needed done in the shower remodel easy and he was most helpful in giving DIY advice for some small projects I wish to complete myself. Mike told me that he was here to help people and that I should call him anytime for service and/or advice. I was impressed with his character and expertise. I would recommend Top Notch and Mike every time.

Description of Work
I needed shower tile remediation.

Category architect, home remodeling

Work Completed On 05/14/2020

05/14/2020

Manuel R.

Replaced shower stall ensemble, dry walled, painted (2 coats) replaced exhaust fan. Completed all work in 4 days. Cleaned up after themselves. Great!

Description of Work
Remodeling - Kitchen & Bathroom, Painting - Interior, Plumbing

Category drywall, plumbing, home remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/18/2020

05/03/2020

Anthony B.

From start to finish, Michael and his team were exactly what we had hoped for in our remodel. Michael brought in great ideas on a plan I thought I already had laid out, was responsive to what I wanted, and worked to find the best solution for our basement design. Michael's team, led by Erick was punctual, thoughtful, and left a clean job site each night. Their work was superb and showed a great attention to detail. I would recommend Top Notch to anyone looking for an easy process in which the owner listens to and understands your ideas, is on top of communication, and expects the best from his team.

Description of Work
Basement Remodel

Category architect, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 04/29/2020

Thank you for the review. You guys were great to work with.

11/29/2019

Al F.

Michael and Top Notch completely remodeled our bathroom last month. They did a fantastic job. Very professional, good ideas and suggestions, flawless craftsmanship and execution. Highly recommended. No complaints at all.

Description of Work
Complete bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 11/29/2019

10/31/2019

Andrew F.

We have Top Notch out to do multiple remodeling projects and they have done a great job every time.

Description of Work
Remodeling - Kitchen & Bathroom

Category remodeling, home remodeling, interior painters, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 04/23/2020

10/14/2019

Aaron Y.

We had a design in mind when we contacted Michael for the preliminary discussion. He added some really nice features and improved on the concept. Chris and his team did the construction and did a great job. His team was courteous and professional. They had a number of projects at the time and were upfront with their schedule and timeline. And they wound up beating their schedule by two weeks. We would definitely recommend Mike and Chris to anyone. We are very happy!

Description of Work
We had an unfinished basement. Top Notch did the remodeling beautifully.

Category home remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 10/14/2019

07/04/2019

Darlene B.

We had Top Notch remodel our master bathroom and couldn’t be happier with the result. Company owner Michael and site supervisor Chris came to our house to evaluate the space and find out what our needs and ideas were. He took some measurements and verified that what we wanted could be structurally accomplished within the space. Michael offered some suggestions of his own and then worked up an estimate for us. Once we approved the estimate and made all our selections for the bathroom, we were put on the schedule. Robert was the carpenter assigned to our project. He was an excellent tradesman and completed the whole project completely on his own, from demolishing the existing bathroom to rebuilding it to the chosen specifications. He showed up everyday and got right to work, even in the middle of the polar vortex that kept most people confined to their homes! He always put in a full day’s work, not just showing up for an hour and then saying he was finished for the day, as we have found with other contractors in the past. There were a couple of design plans that didn’t work out as well in the actual space as they did on paper, and Michael and Robert offered an alternative that was even better than the original. Robert took care to layout drop cloths everyday when he came in and cleaned up everyday when he left. In the end, we are very pleased with the work provided by Top Notch and would not hesitate to use their services again!

Description of Work
Master bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 02/04/2019

05/24/2019

Cheryl C.

Top Notch Remodeling is just that…top notch…in every sense. From their vision during the planning process and ability to brainstorm renovation ideas, creative solutions to storage and flow issues within a home, and ideas to modernize a space, to their craftsmanship, attention to detail, and work ethic, we would confidently recommend them to anyone! We have worked with Top Notch Remodeling on several projects of various sizes over many years at our first house, so when our family recently moved to a new home and we started to amass a list of updates needed we knew who to call! Top Notch is responsive, reasonable, efficient, effective, and just nice to work with. Their years of experience really show in all aspects of their work!

Description of Work
Various projects including reconfiguration of interior garage entry to house, bathroom renovations, kitchen renovations, tile work, window replacement, deck rebuild, etc.

Category contractors, ceramic tile, closet systems, countertops, decks, drywall, electrician, flooring contractor, picture framing, handyman service, lighting, plumbing, remodeling, replacement windows, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters, doors

Work Completed On 05/24/2019

05/21/2019

Sarah K.

They were very helpful, flexible and professional. The work looks great and was done super quickly

Description of Work
Bedroom Remodel

Category remodeling, basement remodeling

Work Completed On 05/21/2019

04/25/2019

Linda S.

Michael and his team were great to work with. The quality of their work was excellent and the suppliers they recommended were so easy to work with. Both rooms turned out so much better than I expected. We did have to wait several months to get the kitchen done because they are so busy but it was worth the wait. I definitely would use them again and recommend them to anybody.

Description of Work
Kitchen and bathroom remodel

Work Completed On 04/24/2019

03/25/2019

Amy J.

Started well but they did not follow through when their workmanship failed

Description of Work
Remodel kitchen

Category remodeling, home remodeling

Work Completed On 01/07/2019

Hi [Member Name Removed], Im sorry for the delay, Chris has left you a copule messages trying to set up your service call. His direct number is 630-362-8558. He will set up a time and date to fix your grout issue.

01/15/2019

Matthew W.

Great! Top Notch was able to work with us on schedule, material and our sometimes challenging insurance/mortgage holder requests to get the repairs to our Family Room and Basement completed in time for Christmas! Would definitely hire again.

Description of Work
Water Damage Repairs

Category drywall, flooring contractor, remodeling, interior painters

Work Completed On 12/21/2018

12/26/2018

Alex O.

Let me start by saying that we are happy with the results, the timing, and the overall cost of our bathroom remodeling project. I got a permit for the remodel and inspectors did not have any issues with the work that was done. One inspector even said that the tile work was one of the best he has seen. All work was done by Robert, who did a great job. He was on site every morning, was tidy and polite and we are very happy with the results. If we wanted to change something, he changed it the next day. We got several quotes for the remodel and most of full service contractors wanted $50,000 just to do our master bath, so to do all 2.5 baths would be $90K! With Top Notch we got to pay for the labor, but we picked the materials. The labor was fair for Chicago, I think, and we could have spent less than $50,000 to remodel our master, hall, and powder room if we would have picked lower level materials. What other contractors don't tell you is that in the $50K they include low cost materials, so if you want something nicer, you have to pay more. With Top Notch, I paid for materials I wanted without a separate contractor markup. I did end up paying about 10% more in labor for unanticipated items in the end. Top Notch has contractor discounts at various places, so we did not pay retail for tile, for instance, although Home Depot is still cheaper than after-discount Tile Shop, but HD selections are limited. Do I have any grumblings? Yes, but they are minor, especially compared to $20K to $30K that I saved. Because Top Notch was only providing labor, we had to deal ourselves with the permit, the cabinet guy, the quarry (to pick a countertop), the countertop installation guy, the tile shop, the shower glass guys. It was a hassle (in the sense that it required time to go back/forth/make selections/negotiate cost, etc.) … we coordinated most of the material delivery and installations so everything would come together and I wish there would be more involvement from Michael, the owner, i.e. more direction for someone who has never done a remodel before. Michael's position is more of a sales person as opposed to a project manager; he was very helpful in the beginning, though. As an example, I had to measure hall bath and recount how much various tile I would need, for instance, this is where the Tile Shop employees were really helpful. They told me exactly what I need based on my measurements, as well as pointed any extras that I would need (i.e. pencil to go around decorative tile, grout, etc). I did return what I didn't use for full refund, so there is no worry there. Based on my experience, I would recommend hiring Top Notch if you don't mind being a project manager and Robert does the work (I did not meet any other workers so can't say). Also, ensure that the description of what will be done is as complete as possible in the contract.

Description of Work
Bathroom Remodeling (Master, Hall, Bath)

Category remodeling

Work Completed On 12/20/2018

Review for Top Notch Remodeling Inc - 12040 S Aero Dr, Plainfield, IL - 37625886

07/27/2018

JoMarie Z.

I was a good customer of Top Notch Remodeling. I was very patient, if they needed anything I took care of it right away, I never made them wait for material, paid on time and gave them access to the project seven days a week. As I read the reviews on Angie’s list I wonder why I was not given the same “Great Service” as all these other customers claim to have had. I hired Top Notch back in May of 2017 to replace the decking on my front and back porch along with remodeling a bathroom/bedroom. My main contact was with Michael Kennedy, owner of Top Notch Remodeling and then Paul, the laborer. Everything started out well. The removal and replacement of the deck boards was done in just a few days. My only concern was the space between the boards was too close. The remodeling of the bathroom/bedroom started the last week of July 2017 as scheduled and I was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks. They finally completed the job the first week of January 2018. My 4 to 6 week remodel took 22 weeks to complete. All delays where due to Top Notch no shows. During those 22 weeks I was told several times from Michael “we are in the home stretch” “we will have things wrapped up next week” or Paul would say “we are coming tomorrow morning to finish things up” and then never show up. It was Very Frustrating. On the 11th of January Michael came to pick up the final payment; we discusses a few concerns I still had. One being the deck boards. At that time Michael told me if I still had any concerns come spring to let him know and they would come out and make the necessary repairs. That was our last conversation until…… The 24th of May 2018 I went to use one of the electrical outlets in the bedroom and it did not work. I than tried two other outlets on the same wall and they also did not work. (I had not used those outlets since the remodel.) I checked the fuse box; no blown fuses. I reached out to Michael on the 25th of May with my issues, he replied “I will get back to you early the next week to set something up”. When I did not hear from Michael I reached out to him on the 1st of June; his reply “can we come next Tuesday June 5th”. I said that was fine. I texted Michael Tuesday morning to confirm they were coming and I was told they would be there in the afternoon. Later that day I received a text from Michael “Sorry. We will have to reschedule.” I than reached out to Michael again and finally on the 18th of June I was told they would be out on the 21st. Needless to say once again they had to reschedule. My last contact with Michael was on the 27th of June with Michael texting me “I am sorry. We will tie down a time and date tomorrow.” I did receive a phone call from Paul on the 5th of July asking if he could come out and we settled for the 10th of July. Well, once again I was told “I will not be able to make it and I will come tomorrow 7:00AM – 7:30AM”; so I made arrangements to have a friend at the house to meet him. That morning I received a text from Paul at 8:00AM stating “we are on our way will be there in a half hour”. At 9:00AM I sent Paul a text that my friend had to leave. Paul finally did arrive that day and did a little work on the deck. Later that afternoon he sent me a text message that “I will return on Friday to finish the deck and electrical”. On Thursday I sent a text to confirm he was still coming on Friday and he replied “YES”. Well Friday came and went and he never showed. I sent a certified letter to Top Notch on the 3rd of July that has been refused. I tracked the certified letter and on the 20th of July the Post Office tracking stated “Your item could not be delivered. It was held for the required number of days and is being returned to the sender”. I still have not heard from Top Notch Remodeling.

Description of Work
Replacement of Deck Boards and Bathroom/Bedroom Remodel

Category ceramic tile, decks, electrician, remodeling

Work Completed On 07/10/2018