Installing a new fence can improve the appearance of your yard in addition to offering privacy. Homeowners, though, may be surprised by the hidden costs.
Get matched with top fence contractors in Ottertail, MN
There are 2 highly-rated local fence companies.
Matching on Angi
Recent Fence Installation Contractor Reviews in Ottertail
- Expert Building ServicesExpert Building Services was outstanding. They exceeded my expectations in every aspect of the project from timing to cost to workmanship. John and his team are friendly, professional, creative, and very skilled problem solvers. I will hire them again for any and all future building repair or renovation projects. I highly recommend you do as well
- Northern Borders FenceThey did awesome. It was done professionally and was actually under budget |I would definitely use them again
- Elite Fence And DeckI solicited four estimates for this job. Elite Fence and Deck was neither the highest nor the lowest bid for this job. I selected this company because of the higher degree of professionalism in their bid process. They took the time to explain all details and point out any issues I might encounter with my fence installation. The lowest bidder did not even want to come out for an estimate. They quoted me over the phone without even seeing the job. The highest bidder was substantially more. They quoted me a three week lead time to start the work and one to two days to complete the job. Now for the actual work. Exactly three weeks later they were ready to do the job. Right on schedule. How good is this? I have always had difficulty getting people who really work on schedules in this area. When they arrived, I asked for some changes in the job (more fencing than originally planned). I also asked that they try to complete the job in one day, if at all possible. They started work at 8:30am and continued to work till almost 8pm, finishing the job in one day. The fence is beautiful and this group bent over backwards to make sure I was happy! I can't say enough good things about this company and strongly recommend them
- Keller Fence CoCompany worked closely with us, excellent communication, handled and worked around job complications due to our clearing issues and then re-clearing issues due to storm, in a most professional manner. They were ready to start immediately, but our project required the removal of some trees and lots of brush on our part, and I had limited time, as did my chainsaw-savy counterparts. A project manager was assigned who took this into consideration and started the job in ready areas while we continued our preparation work. As soon as the clearing work was done, a storm hit, bringing more trees down over the cleared areas. They were willing to delay but we managed to re-clear while they finished the privacy fence and the chainlink work was able to proceed smoothly when they were done with that. Excellent communication and friendly, professional workers
- Keller Fence CoWas going to buy the parts and DIY but Keller did the repair while I waited. Keller has done small fence installs for me 3-4 times in the past. Always first class service and workmanship.
- Artistic Fence IncOverall, my interaction with Artistic Fence was exceptional; from meeting with the sales person, to communicating with the office, to the builders on site. The work was done in a timely matter with beautiful quality. I was kept informed about what to expect and when the builders would be coming out. I was impressed that a fence company would be able to re-sod and landscape my yard all in one job. Everyone I encountered was very pleasant, it was a pleasure to have worked with them and I cannot say enough good things about this company. I would highly recommend Artistic Fence for any fencing, and their brother landscape company for any other yard details. The fence still looks beautiful and I have had many wonderful comments on it
- Larsen IndustriesWe had a hard time finding many professionals in our area that had experience working with vinyl. We found Larsen at a home show and were impressed with how knowledgeable and experienced they seemed to be with their products. They were also very up front on their cost - which was higher than I would have expected. Because I didn't really trust our other options, we decided to go with Larsen. We couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Randy was excellent to work with and really stepped us through the whole process. Once they began working, they were done in just a few days. The product they use appears to be much higher quality than anything I could find at any big box retailer. This was a major selling point since we didn't want to be troubled by maintenance (hence vinyl over wood) and it holds up great even in high wind. It also looks much nicer than any other vinyl in town, even a year later. They also warranty parts and labor on all their work for extra piece of mind. Yes, their services probably cost more, but if you're willing to pay for it you're getting the best
- Keller Fence Coexcellent service from the receptionist to the owner to the workers. I was very pleased with their work, their punctuality, their expertise, their friendly staff, and workers. Phone calls were returned right away as the owner carried cell phone with him. I was very pleased with my new fence, and a year later- still enjoying my new fence
- Precision Lawn Care & LandscapingIn the fall of 2021, this company did a "fall clean-up" at our lake home and charged us $289.00 which was a reasonable price and comparable to other lawncare companies. One complaint was that they hit our bird feeder which was mounted on a 2x4, broke the 2x4 off and let it lay in our yard. The company never contacted us about the damage, they simply ignored it. In May, they came out to our lake home and did a "spring clean-up". We were not notified that they were coming to our home, they simply showed up on a Saturday when we weren't home and our property was being watched by our neighbor. They made an absolute mess of our lava flower gardens, blowing lava onto our patio, blowing leaves onto my annual flowers that were sitting on a patio table ready for planting. When we arrived home and drove into our driveway, from the noise it was apparent that they had blown lava rocks onto the drive way and simply left them there. I received a bill for $880.00 for the "spring clean-up" which was the same work they did in the fall and charged me $289.00. They also ran one of their machines into one of our 6ft. garden lamps that now has to be recemented into the ground. The day before I received this bill, they came to do weeding and dress up the lava gardens (the same ones they blew the lava rock out of in May). I was charged $170.00 for them to empty 5 bags of lava rock - lava rock that I had purchased and ready to be used in the gardens. I have never received an estimate or had a contract with this company. It appears that if you inquire about their services and what you would like to have done, they simply show up and then charge you outrageous prices and demolish your property! I have turned this over to my attorney as this company is totally scamming people who live at the lake. They started a job for one of my neighbors and their machine broke down. That was 2 months ago and they haven't been back to finish the job! Horrible company, a total scam
- MANKATO LANDSHAPES INCI did not get the common courtesy of a response after our initial contact seeking a quote for their services. Due to a lack of response, I will not recommend their services. Even a "no" would have been appreciated. I could have been contacting other companies to do the job I have in mind.
Last update on July 14, 2022
Fence Contractors in Ottertail, MN
Explore our Solution Center for helpful fence installation articles
Are you a classic picket fence family or looking for a bit more privacy? From style to material, this guide helps you choose the best type of wood fencing for your home.
Between wood, composite, metal, and vinyl, learn about the different types of fences. Weigh the pros and cons of each to find the best fence type for your yard.
Find fence companies in
- Battle Lake,
- Parkers Prairie,
- New York Mills,
- Fergus Falls,
- Pelican Rapids,
- Eagle Bend,
- Detroit Lakes
Fence Companies in Ottertail, MN
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- ACB Construction1841 Ridgewood Dr NW
Alexandria, Minnesota 56308
- ACB Construction
- Hampton Enterprise LLC254 W Lawrence Harris Hwy
Slocomb, Alabama 36375
- Hampton Enterprise LLC
- Keller Fence CoPO Box 781
Grand Rapids, Minnesota 55744
- Keller Fence Co
- Nick's Tree & Landscape12390 Sherburne Ave
Becker, Minnesota 55308
- Nick's Tree & Landscape
- Rolling Green Fencing Inc2408 4th St NW
Austin, Minnesota 55912
- Rolling Green Fencing Inc
Fencing contractors that service Ottertail
How much does it cost to install a fence?
Answer: The average cost to install a fence is $2,600. A variety of factors will impact the overall cost of fencing installation, such as the length of the fence, the materials you choose, and local labor costs. Fencing projects using the lowest cost materials and with lower labor costs can cost as little as $1 to $6 per linear foot, while projects using the highest cost materials and with higher labor costs may be as high as $15 to $45.
Do I need a permit to build a fence around a yard?
Answer: Whether you’ll need a permit to build a fence around your yard will depend on your city or county's local codes. Many metropolitan and suburban areas require a permit to install most fencing, but they may not for fences situated behind a house as opposed to in front of it or fences that don’t run within a certain distance of the road. To find out if you’ll need a permit to fence your yard, reach out directly to your local government office.
What is the cheapest fence to install?
Answer: The cheapest fencing to install is chain-link fencing. Chain-link fencing is typically cheaper than other fence types because the materials cost less, and installation is generally quicker and easier than other options. Chain-link fencing is affordable, easy to install, and low maintenance. However, it’s usually considered less secure than other options and doesn’t increase resale value as much as fences made of different materials.
Is a wood or vinyl fence cheaper?
Answer: Wood fences are generally cheaper than the cost of vinyl fences. While the cost of materials for wood and vinyl fences is usually very similar, the labor cost associated with installing a vinyl fence is higher. Wood fencing is also easier to install than vinyl fencing, making it possible to save money by making wood fence installation a DIY project. It’s also possible to DIY install a vinyl fence.
What is the life expectancy of a vinyl fence?
Answer: Vinyl fencing can be expected to last between 10 and 30 years. Vinyl fencing is generally low maintenance, but proper care will ensure it lasts as long as possible. Its long life span and high return on investment make vinyl fencing a popular option for many homeowners.
What type of fence adds to the property value?
Answer: Installing quality fencing, no matter the fence type, will generally add value to your property. In general, fences made of longer-lasting, lower-maintenance, and more attractive materials—like wrought-iron, composite, or vinyl—add more value to a property than fences made of lower-cost or less attractive materials, like chain-link. To ensure your fencing adds as much value to your home as possible, be sure it’s properly permitted, approved by your homeowners association (if you have one), and installed properly.