American Solar & Roofing

Founded 2001 • With Angi since September 2007

At American Solar & Roofing, you'll find our team members are all in-house, providing you effective communication from start to finish. High quality products, installation practices, craftsmanship and customer service are our top priorities. American Solar & Roofing began with a bold vision to

Women Owned & OperatedWomen Owned & Operated
LGBTQ+ FriendlyLGBTQ+ Friendly

8.4 kW Solar Electric SystemA Service Provider's profile imageA Service Provider's profile image

Tile Inset Array

solar companies

Tile Inset solar system
View project

solar companies (47)roofing (17)electrician (15)

10/13/2022

vicki P.

Chad (tech) showed up earlier than expected. Got right to work. Very friendly and professional. Clean and neat. I didn't get bids, I just used the same business that the previous one which lasted 11 years. So I don't know if the price was reasonable? Regardless, I am more than satisfied.

Description of Work
Installed a updated inverter - solar panel

Category electrician, solar panels

Work Completed On 10/12/2022

06/13/2022

Barry E.

Went very well. However, because of staffing issues they had like most companies currently the install date was pushed back over a month. But now that the install is done, I can say the install went well. The city just inspected and passed with flying colors. The installers were personable. professional, and very good at what they do. Very clean work, attention to detail, and would hire them in a heartbeat. The price is better than the competitors. A good value and project design along with a great install. This is the second home that American Solar and Roofing has done for us an I highly recommend them as your solar company.

Description of Work
Solar Install & Re-Roof

Category electrician, roofing, solar panels

Work Completed On 06/13/2022

Thank you for taking the time to write American Solar & Roofing this review on Angi's. We appreciate your feedback and insight! Overall, I am happy to read you had a great experience working with us. Now you can enjoy the savings of your solar system & new roof! Thanks again.

09/24/2019

Brian L.

It was great. They did a great job and they did few extra things that other companies didn't do this days.

Description of Work
They installed the solar panel.

Work Completed On 09/24/2016

05/21/2018

Donald C.

Sales people and installers were very good. There's a long wait between installation completion and getting approval from the city and APS to turn it on. My project manager dropped the ball on one occasion and extended that time. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the process, the quality of the work and the result so far.

Description of Work
I had a solar system installed

Work Completed On 05/21/2018

09/19/2017

Jay F.

I live an hour north of Phoenix. They NEVER came out to inspect, meet with me, view the roof or the solar panels, measure, talk about options, match shingles, look at wiring, logistics, etc... Instead, gave me a quote over the phone, if you can believe that. It took a long time to get the quote after numerous requests. When I did get it, was much too high, plus they wanted $3500 upfront with an appointment out at least 5 to 6 months. Couldn't give me a date. Nobody does business like this. I would never recommend these people to anyone.

Description of Work
Needed a quote for a roof shingle replacement. I have solar, so I called them for a quote to remove and reinstall my 12 panels before and after the new roof shingles are done. Simple job.

Category electrician, roofing, solar panels

Work Completed On 06/08/2017

[Member Name Removed], We're so sorry to hear about the trouble that you had with us. If there is anything we can do to remedy the situation, please give me a call at 480.941.7415. -Brittany

03/22/2016

Brian L.

See detailed review dated 3/7/2016. Summary: Roofing = Poor, Solar = OK, Company Communication from Management = Poor. This is a short follow-up comment. I had contacted company ownership to give them detailed feedback on the awful roofing work. I did this because if I owned the business, I would want to know. I was not asking for anything. However, professional courtesy would seem to dictate a response regarding my experience as the right thing to do. It is now approaching 3-weeks and I have heard nothing. That is another black eye for this company and serves as a red flag to anyone that is thinking about using them. They have just been named the best solar installer for the 6th straight year by ranking Arizona. My biggest complaint is with the roofing "work" which was very poorly done as well as the lack of care/concern on the part of the company owners. My prior review stated that I would use the company again. Based on the lack of concern by the owners, I would no longer recommend the company. My ratings at this time would F for ROOFING and C for SOLARr, both of which now reflect the ownership lack of interest which was not included in the prior ratings. Even though the roofing work was only 5% of the job by cost, it resulting in almost all of the time that I had to devote to getting the project done and remedial work for the messes they created. Therefore it carries the most weight resulting in an OVERALL RATING of D.

Description of Work
Roofing inspection and repair. Small (3.7kwH) solar system.

Work Completed On 03/03/2016

03/07/2016

Brian L.

I hired the company because of good solar ratings, common-sense fastest recovery of cost approach, and the fact that they were also a roofing company. House is approximately 16 years old and to my knowledge, Had never had a roofing tune-up. The roofing and solar work needed to be coordinated since roofing tile that would end up beneath the solar panels were to be removed in sufficient quantity to replace broken tile and provide 10 extra tile per agreement. This was done so that the tile used would be exact match for the existing roof after 16 years of fading. Overall, the work went as follows: SOLAR - good work, good communication throughout the process. For the solar install alone, all of my ratings would be A's or B's. Two minor complaints have to do with need for better clean-up upon completion and having to wait for an out-of-stock communication module after the system was operational. The module allows internet monitoring of system performance. With an install completed on about 12/20/15, I would have thought that a module would have been held specifically to complete the job. That caused about a 10 day delay, but need not impact system functionality. I CANNOT COMMENT ON SYSTEM PERFORMANCE SINCE IT IS TOO NEW TO KNOW IF IT WILL PERFORM AS PROJECTED. Plan on 60 -90 days from start to finish with most of that time in a waiting mode for the electric utility. ROOFING - poor and unprofessional work, lack of communication, lots of work left for me to fix. I would NOT recommend this company for roofing work. Ratings would all be D's or F's for the roofing part of the job. Problems: (1) No coordination between the two jobs forcing me into the role of a "foreman" in an attempt to get the job I expected; (2) FIRST effort at repair left broken tile that I replaced myself and only patched over severely cracked mudballs that needed to be replaced; (3) When I complained, an appointment was set with a rep of the company to come look at the job. The rep stood me up, having someone else call me an hour AFTER our appointment to tell me they were in an all day meeting and would not make the 11am appointment; (4) The person that called about the missed appointment in step 3 assured me that he would make sure everything was done to my satisfaction. This was the SECOND effort which was WORSE than the first. This person did amateur and sloppy work smearing grout all over the neighboring tile, breaking but not replacing additional tile, using white caulking in the most conspicuous area on the front of the house and smearing it onto the wall paint causing additional work for me, and leaving nails and grout debris all over the roof: (4) After a company rep came out to look at the job and stated they were "speechless", a THIRD crew came out and redid all the work satisfactorily. However, They were unable to undo all the damage that had been done from the second effort. In all fairness, they offered to do touch up painting as needed, but I declined. The grout that is smeared all over roof tile from the second effort is not visible from the ground, but would make anyone doing an inspection on the roof wonder what had happened. I plan to see If I can remove some of the mess by scrubbing with water. Had the third crew come out first, the ratings would have been much better. With that said, why would a company allow someone like the employee that did the second effort to do work that they were obviously not trained or experienced enough to do? As for my efforts to try to avoid all of this: (1) I already stated I put myself in a forced "foreman" role so that the capability of replacing tile with matching tile was retained (by pulling tile from the area covered by the solar panels). This would not have happened had I not stepped in. (2) Early on I offered to accept the roof work "as is" if the company would provide a written warranty (the patched over mudballs would not have lasted very long) and accept what I had paid so far (about 60% of the total) as payment in full. They indicated that they wanted to take care of the job to my satisfaction rather than do that. (3) I asked for contact information for the company owners so that I could discuss my experience directly with them. The information was initially not provided. (4) Owner contact information was later provided and on 3/3/16, I sent in a LENGHTY description of what I had experienced. It has only been a few days, but there has not been a response from them. Please note, that I did not ask them for anything for my trouble. With that said, a high-quality company would do something to make this right. I spent hours of my own time managing portions of the work, cleaning up, waiting for an appointment that was not kept, and calling out for help. I still have a few hours of remedial work to do, all of which was totally avoidable and unnecessary. What I have summarized here is exactly that - a summary. The detail is worse. Again, OK for solar, but AVOID for roofing. If the owners fail to acknowledge the feedback I went to the trouble to provide to them, then I would say to find another company because there is something seriously wrong with American.

Description of Work
(1) Flat concrete roofing tune up - check roof, secure as needed, redo mudball seals, replace broken tile. (2) Install solar system per agreed upon design specs. ALL ratings reflect the combination of the two jobs.

Work Completed On 03/03/2016

06/06/2015

Kathy B.

The company was very good to work with. Good customer service.

Description of Work
Install solar panels on our roof.

Work Completed On 03/10/2014

Hi (removed member name), We are so happy to hear that your install went well! Thank you for giving us a review on Angie's List. Best, Sari Hegewald

05/09/2015

Susan T.

They started doing roofing right after the big hail storm. Before they even came out they told us to call APS and get our solar use for the last year including peak times and that is how they were able to figure out what our electrical needs where. They estimated how much more we would need with square footage with the add on we were doing. Our bill is now like $14 a month which is mainly fees. The work took about a day and then it gets inspected by the city before they can turn them on. They install them and then make an appointment with APS. They let us know when we could get the higher rebate. they really saved us a lot of money. It has already paid for itself.

Description of Work
I used American Solar & Roofing for solar panels.

Work Completed On 05/09/2010

[member name removed], Thank you so much for your great review of American Solar & Roofing. We love to hear everything is better than expected. Customer reviews mean the world to us! Best, The American Solar & Roofing Team

01/28/2015

David L.

It seemed like they knew what they were doing. It just seemed a little shadier than the other two. They weren't clear enough or up front enough with their details.

Description of Work
I got a quote from American Solar & Roofing. They would install it and maintain it.

Work Completed On 05/06/2014

01/14/2015

Jonny B.

We received quotes from three solar power installers and chose American Solar as having the best mix of product and price. Their quote for the solar system alone was not the lowest one we received, but it wasn't much higher than the competition. American Solar gave us a great price for replacing our roof underlayment. We were completely satisfied with the professionalism, skill level and quality of work performed by the team that installed the solar panels. They were outstanding in every regard. We were somewhat less impressed with the roofing team, although they did a good job overall. After the roofers had removed some of the tiles my husband pointed out an area where a piece of wood needed to be replaced. The manager of the roofing team agreed that it needed to be replaced and agreed to do the work. Nevertheless, the roofers proceeded to replace roof tiles without repairing the underlying wood first. My husband asked them to stop so he could talk to the manager. The manager chose to continue laying the tiles and said the men would tear out and redo that section after completing the rest of the work. When the roof was finished, my husband had to remind the manager to go back and fix the problem section. When a worker did the repair, he failed to overlap the underlayment (which is standard practice) until my husband insisted that he do so. I'm glad my husband was present and was paying attention. Otherwise we would have experienced problems in that section of the roof. We live in Phoenix, AZ, so we don't get much rain. After a heavy rain this past summer, our roof leaked in one area (not the area mentioned above). American Solar came out and performed a repair. They repaired the roof and sent out a carpenter to fix the resulting problem in an interior wall/window area. The carpenter did a good job with the wood repair and a terrible job of painting it. (I repainted the area inside the house.) We have yet to see whether the leak has been fixed because it hasn't rained hard since the job was done. But we are pleased that American Solar honored the roofing warranty and was quick to respond to our claim. Our solar system is performing wonderfully well and we are recognizing approximately a 70% savings in our power bills. We had expected to recognize less than a 60% savings. (Approximately 3% of the savings is due to switching to a different plan with the power company and being careful when we use equipment that draws lots of power. The rest of the savings is due to our solar power system.) We expect that the savings will decline very slowly as the panels age. We are delighted with the cost savings and can see that the system will pay for itself sooner than we planned. We highly recommend American Solar to anyone who is considering a solar power system.

Description of Work
We bought a solar power system from American Solar in early 2014. When our 22-year-old concrete tile roof was inspected for soundness, we were not surprised to learn that the underlayment needed to be replaced prior to having solar panels installed. We hired American Solar in part because they could do the work on the roof as well as installing the solar power system. We did not want to have two companies involved, with one blaming the other for any problems that arose.

Work Completed On 03/01/2014

12/02/2014

David T.

Very personable. Kept me in the loop through the entire process. System isn't actually turned on yet though...thanks to the electric company dawdling.

Description of Work
Installed solar system.

Work Completed On 12/02/2014

10/31/2014

JOHN T.

The American Solar team is also skilled at roofing so they were able to carefully remove concrete roofing tiles, install solar panels, and replace tiles so there were no roof issues afterwards. They did a great technical design of the system, and shared details on the quality history of the panel manufacturer, Kyocera, and the inverter manufacturer Fronius. The system has been running without problems for over two years now and I wonder why every Arizona home does not have solar.

Description of Work
American Solar did the system design, installation, and coordination on a 6kW residential solar array, working with the leasing company, SunRun, and SRP

Work Completed On 02/01/2012

09/11/2014

Richard S.

I spoke with three companies and they were the only company to come out to do a physical inspection and go on the roof. They also had better panels available and hide the wires on the roof. They were very thorough and did a professional job. I liked working with them.

Description of Work
They installed solar panels on my roof.

Work Completed On 08/01/2014

06/11/2014

Bob K.

It was mostly good. I am happy with the solar panels and their employees. They have good employees that do a good job for them but corporately they are a mess. They have great employees that really care about the business and they are conscientious and hard working. They provide a good service but check out their corporate structure first. Based on what I know now, I might or might not use them again.

Description of Work
I used American Solar for solar panels.

Work Completed On 06/27/2013

04/14/2014

Melissa H.

The installation went smooth and they answered any question that I had, There were no unexpected surprises. I would highly recommend American Solar to anyone in the market for solar panels. They were, by far, the most affordable solar panel company that we found with the best reputation.

Description of Work
Installed solar panels

Work Completed On 03/10/2014

01/30/2014

Larry & Sue R.

It went very well. The crew was very polite and professional. Everything was great. They came to us highly recommended and we would recommend them too.

Description of Work
They installed solar panels and set up the solar energy system in our home.

Work Completed On 11/13/2013

01/26/2014

KC S.

From the initial estimate all the way through install, including the business office, American Solar was wonderful. I worked with Jim and Jeremy. They were both knowledgable, quick to send me information, or to let me know the next steps. During the install, my yard got its flood irrigation which could have delayed the project, but the lead installer went out and bought a pair of rubber boots and kept on working. Amazing. They were the best.

Description of Work
Installed 10 solar panels, and inverter for a grid-tied 2.6 kW residential system.

Work Completed On 12/03/2013

08/05/2013

Robert C.

Wonderful job Went overboard

Description of Work
Installed solar panels on two buildings to offset electrical bills

Work Completed On 03/13/2013

07/25/2013

ELIZABETH F.

Just talked on phone. It is up to us to set a date to have them come out.

Description of Work
just talked to on the phone....i WILL CALL TODAY AND SET UP A DATE TO COMEOUT AND DISCUSS SOLAR .

Work Completed On 07/15/2013

07/03/2013

Lisa M.

I am extremely pleased with American Solar's service! Through the entire process - from sales to install to inspections - they have done a wonderful job. They are extremely reliable and professional. They are organized and efficient. They take care of EVERYTHING including HOA correspondence, arranging inspections, etc. I had no idea what was involved, and they walked me through every step. Every one on the American Solar team has been wonderful to work with! Truly a top-notch company to work with.

Description of Work
Solar Installation

Work Completed On 07/02/2013

Hi (deleted member name), Thank you for writing a wonderful review about American Solar. We appreciate your review and love having you in the American Solar family! Welcome to the Sunny Side! -The American Solar Team

04/23/2013

Michael P.

Very professional preliminary evaluation and plan development, Full discussion of cost benefits and sequence of installation. The installers were very professional and sequence of events approximately met expectations. Neat job of installation and cleanup. Turn on and followup as planned . Good overall supervision and communication as well as followup. Very pleased with the entire experience.

Description of Work
Interview of electrical needs and inspection of roof site and electrical control area. Followup full roof inspection and plans for solar array and cost estimate. In stallation of solar panels and control systems. Final inspection and approval. Followup evaluation of function.

Work Completed On 03/13/2013