3rd Generation Painting & Home Improvements

With Angi since March 2010

114 Peck Ave

Syracuse, NY 13206

Owner operated. Uses subs for labor only. No travel charges. Ask about Angie’s List discount. Award wining.

09/03/2021

Mark W.

I had a recent need to have some additional grab bars and railings installed for my senior mother as well as for myself as I returned from rehab. As always Robert was very responsive and was there to look things over within a day or two. We scheduled the work for the following week and it was done quickly, professionally and exactly the way I was hoping. Robert has always been someone I could count on and when the need arises he will be the first person I call in the future. Again thank you Robert.

Description of Work
Robert professionally installed new grab bars and railings

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

09/02/2020

sarah F.

Perfect. Timely, neat, professional...grwat to have around. No noise, music, drama

Description of Work
Exterior painting

Category woodworking, house painters

08/23/2020

Deidre H.

I am very satisfied with the job Bob and Warren did to scrape and paint my house foundation. They do excellent work for reasonable price. Bob is a perfectionist which is a good thing for his clients. I would definitely recommend and again.

Description of Work
foundation painted

Category house painters

07/13/2020

lorri G.

I recently went down to my basement and discovered water all over the floor and leaking down a wall.After investigating,i discovered a burst pipe in the crawl space.Bob from Third Generation was the first one I called.It was 3pm and he was at another job,but was at my house within the hour.He determined what he had to do,and had the pipe fixed and the gushing water stopped.This entailed crawing into a very tight space with water everywhere. Bob Halvorsen,has done several tasks at my home.He and his associate recently did a fantastic job painting my home last summer.Bob can do almost anything.He is always prompt and very fair with his pricing.I will always recommend him to my friends.

Description of Work
Burst pipe in crawl space

Category ceramic tile, handyman service

07/13/2020

lorri G.

It went excellent.Bob and Warren did excellent work on my home.They made it look like new.House had to be completely scraped(shake shingles)and also all the trim.Foundation had to be repaired in several places and was also painted.Bob is a perfectionist,and is not satisfied until the customer is.Bob uses the best materials suited to the project.He has done other work here,but this was the most major.I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BOB AND THIRD GENERATION for your project.Their work ethic is beyond excellent.I am very satisfied,and won't hesitate to hire this company again in the future.

Description of Work
House was completely scraped and painted,inc windows and all trim.Foundation was repaired and painted,tree removal from side of house.Some landscaping.

Category concrete repair, lawn service, house painters

02/27/2019

Cheryl E.

He's very good, on time and professional.

Description of Work
He replaced the kitchen cabinet.

02/06/2019

Craig W.

I needed to get a rental ready for the market that the previous tenant mistreated. Bob was able to assess all the damage and complete the repairs in a timely fashion for a fair price. He made sure that issues that could be long term problems were taken of properly so they were not a nuisance moving forward. I own several properties and Bob is the only person I trust to work on them. If you want someone to do honest competent work at a fair price, Bob is your guy.

Description of Work
Refurbish and update rental

12/21/2018

david J.

Excellent. Our family room ceiling has 22 separate sections with wood encasements. Bob did an excellent job with no paint on the wood. This is the 3rd or 4th time we have had Bob do various work. He is always on time and does great work. He always gives an accurate estimate of the cost of the job and never goes over. We have recommended him to friends who have always been satisfied with the quality and professionalism of his work.

Description of Work
Painting of wall and ceiling in family room.

Category handyman service, interior painters

02/15/2018

Susan C.

Every thing was done in a timely manner

Description of Work
Roof soffit repaired, electrical updated, many other repairs

Category electrician, handyman service, plumbing, roofing, house painters, drain cleaning

01/25/2018

Lisa L S.

Bob worked closely with my insurance company coordinating all possible fixes and problems. I was in Florida during this horrible mess and Bob took care of me and my house!! I highly recommend Bob.

Description of Work
Plumbing wiring from major frozen and broken pipes during dec/Jan -15 degree temps.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, electrician, handyman service, plumbing, woodworking, home remodeling, interior painters

11/23/2017

Craig F.

Answered my call quickly, came over on a Saturday and fixed our problem efficiently and professionally. Can't say enough on how great a job was done. Thanks, will call again if I need help in the future.

Description of Work
Had a plugged up kitchen sink drain.

Category drain cleaning

10/31/2017

Sandra T.

Emergency repair: We discovered that water was leaking from a pipe in the bathroom wall on the weekend. Bob came immediately to diagnose and was able to rearrange his schedule so that he could come on Monday to make the repair. He did his usual excellent job at minimal cost, and noted additional preventive work which he did at minimal cost to avert additional problems. Interior and exterior painting: Bob and his helpers came on schedule for the planned interior and exterior painting. Bob is meticulous about his work. He did necessary prep work, caulking and repairs, and did a beautiful job of painting the living room, hallways and stairwell. He made suggestions of other things we could do to enhance the improvements. He even came up with a painting that went perfectly over our fireplace! The exterior painting was also beautifully done, and new shutters installed as scheduled. Bob has very high standards for himself and for the men who work under his supervision. He pointed out unanticipated problems that he discovered in the course of his work, and addressed them to our complete satisfaction. He is very cost-conscious and provides alternatives to keep costs down. He is clear when jobs are outside his expertise, and will recommend other reliable professionals on request. Bob is our go-to guy for all our house painting and repairs. He always finds a way to address an emergency need, and does excellent work on planned projects. We have recommended him to neighbors who have also been quite satisfied. We recommend him without reservation.

Description of Work
1)Emergency repair of leaking water pipe in bathroom wall 2)Interior repairs, caulking and painting of living room, halls, stairwell 3)Exterior house painting 4)Install exterior shutters 5)Repair hole in concrete

Category concrete repair, handyman service, plumbing, pressure washing, house painters, interior painters

09/29/2017

John M.

The work was done thoroughly, on time and with competent workers, including Bob Halvorsen. He was very clear about needs, cost and time and the work was performed as promised and of excellent quality. He was mindful of any constraints that we had with regard to time. He is highly recommended and we will use him again.

Description of Work
Painting of a deck, areas around the roof and gutter, the front door and front exterior walls

Category decks, handyman service, deck cleaning, house painters

08/29/2017

Susan C.

Bob and his worker showed up on time. They did an excellent job on complicated electrical work. What I thought would take 2 days only took 1. I have planned to use Bob on future work.

Description of Work
Electrical work in 2 apartments and outside security light

Category electrician, handyman service

08/25/2017

Kathryn D.

Bob has a very strong work ethic - he wants things done right, but also looks to control the cost of the project for the client. He is extremely punctual - works efficiently - and leaves the work area cleaner than he found it. I would have no reservations about recommending this business to family, friends, and co-workers. I'm certain they would not be disappointed!

Description of Work
I've hired Bob for some some smaller projects around the house (plumbing, wall and ceiling repairs), as well as a larger project to prep and prime the exterior of my home for painting.

Category drywall, handyman service, plumbing, house painters

07/07/2017

A D.

Bob was professional and worked diligently on our house .....I would not hesitate to recommend him for any type of work in your home ...all around nice guy with excellent work ethic and pride in his work

Description of Work
Power washing deck and re-staining same; painting living room and hallway

Category decks, drywall, handyman service, pressure washing, interior painters

Delores Z.

He just told me what the problem was. He just did it. He didn't have the part in his truck, so he went and got the part, came back, fixed it, and that was it. I think when you're in that type of service and your are going to be a handy man you should have a least 2 of everything. I may have had been the first one that he ran across this problem. Hopefully he went out and bought 2 of what he purchased. So if somebody gave him a call he would have one. Then he just would have went out and replaced it. I think they come in different sizes so he would have a ray of them. My thought is if you're going to be a handy man you should have everything that you need and be prepared. He's always on time, he might be early. He will be early. What ever he was doing, I was on the sofa, and I dozed off. I mean I wasn't in a deep sleep and I dozed off. He is the one that told me, I had this chain around this figurine, he told me I shouldn't have that there because you never know who is looking in your window and stuff. I have to say that was good advice. If I ran into a stickler, because he lives in East Wood, and I needed somebody. He would come out on a holiday. You have some that will go into their voicemail, because they figure it is the 4th of July I am spending time with my family, but if you want to make money and make a name for yourself you have to go out of your way. He did that for me. He is reliable and I trust him. He will tell you I will be here at 8:00 he is going to be here at 5 minutes to 8. He always shows up on time. If he is going to be late, he is going to call you. If he is traffic. He is going to call you and let you know he is going to be late. Or if he has something to do before you, he will call you the night before to tell you he may be running late.

Description of Work
He put in a new toilet thing. Something general. The toilet was running. He put in a new gasket or what ever it's called.

Category plumbing

Delores Z.

He does good work though. I can't say anything nasty about him, but the cigarette smoke. I used to smoke and I quit. When I quit I threw them in the trash and didn't look back. To have someone around you that smokes. That is the only thing, and he can't hear out of one ear so he is awfully loud. Other than that, I can call him up and he knows who I am. He will say Delores yes and come right over if it is after hours. That is the only bad thing I can say about him. He was working for a man down the street, and I got his number off the truck, and he came down. He said it might hold up, but if we had a real heavy rain it might come through, and it did. He came right out in the rain to put the tarp up. I can't say anything bad about him. He was coming in off of someone else's stuff. I liked him because he was just a regular Joe. He talked about how he goes back and forth to New York to take care of his father, but now his father is living in his apartment upstairs from him. That I liked for someone to be taking care of their elderly people. Nothing could have been done better or differently. He came in on somebody else's job, and he said if it don't hold I will be back. I called him, he gave me his home phone number, he answered it and he came no problem. He's always clean. His clothes are always clean. I would give him an A+ really. I can't say anything bad about the man. I was shocked at the price.

Description of Work
He came over and helped me out to put up some tarp and stuff. He put some sealant around the skylight.

Category skylights

Delores Z.

He did a real good job. The housed shift so I had a little gap and he came out. It was the screen the two pieces were not meeting. The door was not locking and he came and fixed that. The situation didn't last that long. He did an okay job. He came in after someone else's work, and I appreciate that. When you are coming in after somebody else's work it's kinda hard. You have to think about what they were thinking. Then you have to do your thing. He was there for a while. I do like talking to him, maybe that is my problem. He talks and I talk. The only thing he could do different is the cigarette smoke. If he is even coming after a job and he is sweat he is going to apologize. He will say excuse me I just came from another job. Excuse me I just came form another long job. I have always complimented him on being clean shaving and his hair being done. I didn't think it was too unreasonable for price. He is always going to tell you what he is doing, and why he has to do it the way he doing it. He is very informative. Anybody who can be on a job on time year after year, they are not getting any younger, you got to give them an A. He is professional. I think he is very knowledgeable.

Description of Work
He was working on something with the door jam.

Category doors

03/13/2017

Michael C.

Bob is extremely skilled and really cares about doing good work. He doesn't take shortcuts. One thing I especially like is that he often comes up with ideas to save money by suggesting less expensive alternatives to the work I hired him for. And he charges a reasonable hourly rate.

Description of Work
I live in a historical home, nearly 200 years old and have been using Bob Halverson of 3rd Generation for about two years now, getting my home ready for sale. The guy can do anything, no exaggeration. Here's just some of the work he's done: --electrical repairs and installations --replaced/repaired plumbing and bathroom fixtures --built cabinet doors from scratch --fixed ill-fitting interior and exterior doors --installed interior doors --installed new basement windows --installed appliances --replaced rotted wood planks on the porch --hung window blinds --painted most of the interior and some of the exterior of the house. There's much more, too numerous to list, even very small jobs that wouldn't be worth the trouble for a larger contractor, but Bob will do it.

Category ceramic tile, decks, drywall, electrician, handyman service, plumbing, pressure washing, woodworking, home remodeling, house painters, interior painters, doors

02/14/2017

lorri G.

I have had 3rd Generation do work at my house last fall.I knew if I had any future problems I would call Bob again.My problem this time was on a Sunday.Bob answered his phone(he was already at another job)said he would call me back when he was done.He was at my house by 1pm that Sunday.He took care of my problem,where a bottle was jammed and he did everything he could,and resolved the problem.He is very neat and his prices are fair.I plan on having him do more work in the spring.He has an excellent work ethic.If you need painting,home improvements,or the like I highly recommend calling Bob at Third Generation Painting and Home Improvements.

Description of Work
Problem with a shampoo bottle that was accidentally flushed down toilet,causing it to clog.

Category handyman service, plumbing

02/06/2017

David M.

The clog in the trap was cleared and all of the failed parts inside the tank were replaced.

Description of Work
I had a bathroom emergency that had water pouring into a first floor bedroom through the ceiling like a waterfall. I called Bob in a panic, and he was kind enough to move some less urgent appointments around and get to me first thing in the morning. Bob was prompt, extremely personable and kept us informed every step of the way.

Category drain cleaning

01/20/2017

James J.

The quality of Bob's work is excellent. He does all his own work and does not contract anything out. His estimation of the time required to complete a wide variety of tasks was spot on and he even came in slightly under budget. He arrived when he said he would even though he was clearly juggling jobs for several customers. Bob is more than willing teach you any skills or methods that you desire to learn and I found him to be a wealth of information on a variety of house and rental topics. In addition, Bob was able to recommend a contractor to re-finish the hardwood floors and the best approach to tackle a project that I had been putting off. When the weather warms up, I plan to hire Bob to repair and paint the porch ceiling.

Description of Work
Based on Angie's List reviews, I hired 3rd Generation Painting and Home Improvements to make a myriad of repairs to one of our rental apartments that had been continuously occupied for the past four and one half years. The scope of work included repairing a lathe and plaster ceiling that had loosened in one location, painting two ceilings and one bedroom. Bob repaired one wall and touched up the paint in the LR and DR. The bathroom shower needed a complete re-caulking and minor grout repair as well as touch up painting. A wooden storage unit was re-stained/poly coated. In addition there were two minor window repairs and several small carpentry jobs.

Category ceramic tile, drywall, handyman service, woodworking, interior painters

01/20/2017

James J.

Bob had another promised Saturday morning job to complete but arrived before noon at the apartment. He quickly identified the problem as a blockage, not a leak. After retrieving the correct equipment, he had it cleared in no time. He was careful to check the basement pipes to be sure the problem was not greater than it appeared. He left the bathroom clean, dry and tidy.

Description of Work
I was out of town when our tenant called at 7 pm on a Friday night to report coming home to a "leaking" toilet with water all over the bathroom floor. I had him shut off the toilet valve.

Category handyman service, drain cleaning

01/17/2017

Tamika P.

It was last minute that he had to come ( which I totally appreciate) Even though I wasn't happy with the fact that it was time to replace the pipes in the basement ( they are very old probably the originals to the house) Bob did very good work. We still have some more things to do before the job it officially done. I would and have recommended 3rd Generation.

Description of Work
This is the second time I have worked with 3rd Generation. The first time was having a railing built for my front steps. He did excellent work turned out way better than I thought and the price was right to me. This time it was a plumbing job. It was a two part. Bob came after hrs to restore water to my home and make a partial repair so that the water could stay on then he came back and replaced the waterlines to the washer and added shut off valves.

CNY PowerWashing

CNY PowerWashing is committed to excellence in every aspect of our business. We uphold a standard of integrity bound by fairness, honesty, and personal responsibility. Our distinction is the quality of service we bring to our customers. Accurate knowledge of our trade combined with ability is what makes us true professionals. Above all, we are watchful of our customers' interests and make their concerns the basis of our business. We use only top of line equipment and products. Working with just about any surface no job it too big or too small for CNY PowerWashing!

AAA Brush Control

We are a brush removal, Forestry mulching, land clearing, under brushing, fence and property line clearing company. We will create or bring back excess to your property that was lost over the year do to overgrown brush, saplings and trees up to 10 inch in diameter but not limited to. We turn it all into mulch that decomposes, giving back to your property and keeping costs down. We match, we beat and sometimes we Crush competitors estimates. Simply because of our mulching equipment is more cost effective than a crew of guys clearing it all by hand. Visit aaabrushcontrol.com

Emerald City Window Cleaning

Our company is based on the belief that our customers' needs are of the utmost importance. Our entire team is committed to meeting those needs. As a result, a high percentage of our business is from repeat customers and referrals. We would welcome the opportunity to earn your trust and deliver you the best service in the industry. At Emerald City Window Cleaning we are focused on providing quality services with the highest levels of customer satisfaction – we will do everything we can to meet your expectations. With a variety of offerings to choose from, we’re sure you’ll be happy working with us. We offer window cleaning, gutter cleaning, gutter brightening, vinyl siding washing, and solar panel cleaning services. We are a firefighter, family, and locally owned, Syracuse based company. You can always trust that you'll get a professional, experienced, and friendly person when you call us.

Remodeling general, remodeling basement, kitchen and bathroom, pressure washing, digns, wallpaper removal, wallpapering, windows, painting interior & exterior, carpentry woodworking, ceramic tile, concrete pouring & repair, doors, drywall, plumbing, deck & proches, handymen, roofing, deck maintenance, screen repair, drain & gutter cleaning.