Building a new home can be a money suck. But if you’re on a budget, you can still build your dream home with these tips to save money when building a house.
Get matched with top home builders in Detroit Lakes, MN
There are 5 highly-rated local home builders.
Recent Home Builder Reviews in Detroit Lakes
- John HaabalaJohn and his guys were great. They were trustworthy and did a good job. We were out of state for some of the time and felt good leaving our project in John's hands.
- Tysdal ConstructionI highly recommend Tysdal Construction and JerameTysdal to anyone who is building a new home or have other construction projects. We’re just celebrating the first-year anniversary of our new home and we’re just as thrilled today as we were the day we moved in. We were totally inexperienced in working with a home builder and needed someone who could walk us through the complexities of building a home from start to finish. Jerame was that person. He’s a perfectionist which is what we wanted from someone who was building our house. Secondly, he is honest and has high standards in both his profession and his personal life. To begin the process, we had numerous meetings over a period of many months working with Jerame on the floor plan. My wife and I had different ideas on how the house plan should be laid out, but Jerame had the patience of Jobe and was able to work with us to come up with a design we both liked. Before we signed the contract, we knew exactly what the construction and labor costs were going to be and what the allowances we agreed upon for areas such as lighting and plumbing fixtures. While Jerame has some subcontractors in certain areas that he prefers to work with, he was very flexible in allowing us to be involved, as much or little as we wanted to be, in selecting some of the subcontractors. During the construction, if a subcontractor’s work didn’t meet our expectations Jerame made sure they came back and did it over to our satisfaction. We lived an hour away from the building site, so it wasn’t always convenient to jump in the car and see the day to day progress. However, Jerame would occasionally text us pictures, keeping us informed of their progress. If anything unexpected came up he would always get in touch with us to explain the situation, including our options and the budget implications, and then allowed us to tell him how to proceed. The Tysdal crew and office staff were great to work with. When we would stop by during working hours, Brent would always explain what the crew was working on and what their next project would be. They always made sure at the end of the day to clean up their work areas. Jeanna and Amy were always very helpful and quick to get us the answers to any of our questions. Many things can affect the timing of a house being completed when it’s originally scheduled to be done. In our case, Mother Nature had a lot to do with our house being delayed a bit. For starters, late fall rains prevented the basement from being dug when it was scheduled. During that winter they lost over two weeks of work due to the bitter cold. Jerame has a policy that if the temperature is ten degrees below zero at the start of the workday, they call it off. Something I can certainly appreciate in protecting his crew. One final note. Although my wife and I aren’t golfers our seven-year-old granddaughter decided she wanted to take up golfing. A couple of months ago we took her to a local driving range to practice hitting golf balls and met Jerame who was practicing during his lunch break. We learned he’s an assistant golf coach for the Battle Lake girls’ golf team. He asked if he could give Lainey some pointers and proceeded to take quite a bit of his time to give her a lesson on hitting golf balls with all her clubs. So, ten months after our house was completed my contractor was helping my granddaughter learn how to golf. My kind of contractor
- Tysdal ConstructionI engaged Tysdal Construction as the General Contractor on a Commercial Office Building and would do so over and over again. He helped carry the project from design (very interactive program that allowed you to see what the finished product would look like before even breaking ground), to a very complex permitting process involving Government Regulation, to keeping us on time even and on budget. They were awesome at communicating everything during the construction phase to keep us informed. I would contract with Jerame and his crew again if i had the need
- Tysdal ConstructionTysdal Construction has been very responsive since day one. They helped us through the variance process since we lived on a lake and had a unique situation to work through with new construction along with the design/ building process. The design process they use allows for customization and wide selection of products to be used based on the budget for your project. The employees and subcontractors were friendly and great to work with as we checked-in throughout the project. I personally liked how they were well connected with local businesses to assist us in the selection of building materials for our new home. The one item that I can't stress enough is the level of detail they put into their homes as they strive for perfection in their work. After our project was done I had company over to enjoy a summer weekend and I received compliments on how well the finishing work was completed from the trim, cabinets, drywall, lighting and beyond. Those compliments came from one person who has built 4 new homes in their lifetime and another was a contractor by trade. That says a lot on the quality of work that they deliver on
- Tysdal ConstructionOver the past few years we have engaged Tysdal Construction on a number of projects. We have always found them to operate with the highest level of integrity, making sure the projects were completed in a quality fashion, within the time frame and budget agreed to. The largest project we engaged them to do was the design and construction of our year-round lake cabin. The design process used by Jerame included frequent engagement on our part, resulting in the end product is meeting all of our needs perfectly. As important, this project was completed in a quality fashion, in the agreed upon time frame and with-in budget
- Tysdal ConstructionTysdal did a great job. Very professional, kind, and timely. They went over the top to get the work done. All employees were professional, courteous and kind. Thank you Tysdal Construction for doing a great job. Some of the work they did required some real configuring and ingenuity because of the way one of the walls was situated. It turned out beautiful!!
- Sisu Builders LLCSISU Builders responded quickly to our request by visiting our home and providing a written quote within a couple days. SISU Builders showed up to do the work when they said they would and worked long hours to make sure our home was sealed to the elements. They did quality work, cleaned up the site and best of all, the final bill came in under the estimate. We would hire SISU Builders again
- Kevin A. Yeager Studio of DesignKevin handled every step of our project from concept drawings to finish. He did the plans and worked with us to choose a builder through bids and an assessment of their capabilities. He managed the project flawlessly even though we were in California for 4 months during construction. Kevin is extremely creative, a masterful communicator and fun to work with. He is always available for questions even years after the project. We would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend him
- Residential Building ContractorAfter Patty at Billman Home Center 5010 Miller Trunk Hwy.Duluth, MN 55811 218-729-8232 did the measurements and drew the schematics, Gary started the demo and measured for the counters and cabinets which he had fabricated by an outside contractor to my wife?s desires. He did an excellent job.
- Stuvland Construction and Heating LLCBrian was very helpful and informative. He helped us decide what shingles were the best for the money and warranty. He also searched multiple places to find us the perfect color of siding we were looking for. His crew was very friendly and kept our property clean while working. Brian also assisted us later with our air conditioner and getting it to work better. We would definitely contact him again for future work
House Builders in Detroit Lakes
- Business Description:With 27 years of experience, we provide residential and commercial Remodeling services in the Richville area. There is no job too big or too small! Call us today for an estimate!Recent Review:Never talked to anyone about what we need.Anne Z.
- Business Description:We are more than just windows...we are the Affordable Way!! Call for a free in-home estimate at (320) 217-5251 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.orgRecent Review:Jeremy and Jessica sold us the windows and installed them for us themselves. We could tell by his attention to detail that Jeremy has had a lot of experience in window installation. We observed every step of the installation process, and he explained to us exactly what he was doing and why. They stand by the quality of their work and encouraged us to contact them right away if we had any questions or concerns. We will definitely hire this local Minnesota business again if we choose to install more new windows in our homeEric S.
- Business Description:Affordable Custom Homes Custom Drafting & Design ServicesRecent Review:The house turned out great! We’re very happy with our new home.Nicholas G.
- Business Description:We are a professional handyman company that can take on just about any project you may have for your house. From small repairs to larger remodels, we can take care of that. We also offer landscaping and lawn sprinkler services as well, since the owner has many years of experience specializing in that field. We aim to impress, and always do a quality job! Give us a call todayRecent Review:It went very well. Matt did a good job; the shelves looked great. He kept me informed of his schedule and did things in a timely manner. His quote for the project was right on.Frank G.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and ScreensRecent Review:These windows are solid, well built and look great. I will be ordering more for my house.Don P.
- Business Description:ETR Laboratories in an analytic laboratory with a broad range of commercial, industrial and individual clients. We provide analytic services using a wide variety of scientific methods including GC/MS, IC/MS, GIR, NMR and SEM equipment. We can do particle analysis, organic and inorganic chemical analysis and micro analysis on biological and other materials. Private water analysis is our specialty. Award winning. Additional DBA - Environmental Testing & Research Laboratories Inc, ETR Labs, ETR ..Recent Review:The whole process was easy. ETR were quickly responsive to questions. Professionally discussed in related terms test results over the phone. Highly recommend!Kevin F.
- Business Description:EHM is a structural moving and elevating company that also specializes in foundation repair and replacement. We have been working in the Midwest since the Great Floods of 1993. We specialize in severely comprised foundation issues. We can elevate, level, pier or replace a wall or your entire foundation. We do not do mudjacking, waterproofing or minor crack repairRecent Review:I did not get the service that we originally talked about I am very unhappyDonna S.
- Business Description:Billing depends on the size of project, all jobs done under contracts, have subcontractors for all aspects of construction work, complete general contractorRecent Review:Went bad, we had no idea the process of building a house and relied on and trusted matt to lead us through in the right direction. From start to finish there were issues both big and small. The back area of the building was living area built with concrete forms, right away after they were poured we saw they put one of the windows in the wrong spot. And later noticed the forms were not lined up right on the back wall so the anchor lines for screws are all over the place. Had a utility/ dog room built in the garage area for water heater, well pump and water softener to go, they installed water heater and well pump and we were going to put a water softener after the project was done and there is no drain installed in the floor for the water heater and softener to drain to, after talking to the plumbers they said they asked 3 times if there needed to be a drain there before the floor was poured and they were told not to put one in. After installing the garage door there was no frame work with header to attach the trim to, there was a 4 inch gap that we had to put framework in so we were able to seal the door too. After the siding was done the back of the building need to be back filled and we were going to have the excavator that cleared the area do the work but matt said his guy would do it, well they did a horrible job, the dirt is actually sloped toward the building so this spring both sides of the house had water coming into the living area. When they were done with job the site was left a mess, nails and screws all over in driveway and around the building along with metal and wood scraps everywhere. What was supposed to be an easy and fairly quick job latest over 4 months for a simple 24x22 garage with unfinished inside and 24x12 living area in the back finish only to sheetrock with no trim work doneChris S.
- Business Description:We use sub contractors that are the best in the trade.
- Business Description:Here at The Finished Look we perform all areas that pertain to building and remodeling. We also have a cabin care taking branch as well that services lake homes in northern Minnesota. We are very close with our employees and boast safety and cleanliness. Winter work in many instances be eligible for a 10% discount
Explore our Solution Center for helpful home builder articles
If you’re a fan of the Victorian era, a Queen Anne home may be perfect for you. Learn more about Queen Anne’s romantic, revival architecture and how to incorporate key pieces into your home for a regal and unique decor style.
Building a new home is thrilling for sure, but don’t let avoidable mistakes get in the way of hosting the perfect housewarming party. Learn about common mistakes owners make during the entire building process so you can look forward to move-in day.
Find home builders in
- Lake Park
- Pelican Rapids
- New York Mills
- Battle Lake
- Twin Valley
- Park Rapids
- Fergus Falls
home builders in Detroit Lakes
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 1treehouse3204 Twinberry Cv
- BDB Building LLC18890 CTY 18
Park Rapids, Minnesota
- BLUE OX TIMBER FRAMES4941 County Rd 82 SE
- BoeKett Building Supply Inc.709 North State Street
- Boondox Builders201 3rd St Nw Suite 201
- Build it Right40496 613th Ave
- Building Concepts IncPO Box 669
Fargo, North Dakota
- Bushard Construction LLC377 County Road 4 SE
- BDB Building LLC
- Dan Richter Construction LLC90 Reserve Dr
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- Darik Booth Construction259 River st
Saint Martin, Minnesota
- DEG Construction LLC205 Oak St
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- DL Window & Door700 1st Ave SE
Pelican rapids, Minnesota
- Dornbusch Construction LLC27613 238th St.
Fergus Falls, Minnesota
- DOTTY BROTHERS CONSTRUCTION4593 MOREHOUSE DR
Pequot Lakes, Minnesota
- Dynabilt TechnologiesPO Box 726
- Dan Richter Construction LLC
- Edmunds & Company Log Home Restorations76050 Mckinley Rd
- Environmental Testing & Research Laboratories, Inc60 Elm Hill Ave. Suite 1
- Edmunds & Company Log Home Restorations
- five star home improvement1134 oak knoll dr
- five star home improvement
- INTINTSITY WINDOW TINTING14888 COUNTY ROAD 109
- INTINTSITY WINDOW TINTING
- M Squared Construction25374 County Rd 32
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- Marcus Building Movers13900 120th Ave SW
- Mc Lain Auto Center201 Hwy 91
- Modern Living Concepts Custom Homes25372 110th Street
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- Mosaic Contracting Unlimited LLC6101 Norris Lake Rd
- M Squared Construction
- P. F. S. Design14999 county road 109
- Paul Davis Restoration & Remodeling25130 County Hwy 6
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- pine ridge log homes inc518 NE 4th Avenue
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
- PRO SYSTEMS CORP1271 Highway 10 West
Detroit Lakes, Minnesota
- Progressive Lending Solutions/Mortgage2277 W HWY 36, Suite 304
Saint Paul, Minnesota
- P. F. S. Design
- Silent Watchdog Video Surveillance12350 Holly St NW
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire
- Straight Up Builders30542 137th Street
- STROMBERG CONSTRUCTION LLC41372 LITTLE CLARA DR
DEER RIVER, Minnesota
- Stuvland Construction and Heating LLC40746 260th Ave
Pelican rapids, Minnesota
- Sunrise Custom Homes LLC1311 Joseph St
- SUPER DUTY CONSTRUCTION34616 410TH ST SE
- Silent Watchdog Video Surveillance