The location and functionality of your wall will impact price. Most jobs will cost between $939 and $2,697. Walls that are load bearing will cost slightly more.
Get matched with top general contractors in Grimes, IA
There are 13 highly-rated local general contractors.
Matching on Angi
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Grimes
- Red House RemodelingWe built our dream home in 1983 and raised our four children in it. Like nine people out of ten in America, we want to live out the rest of our years in our home. Having preemptively purchased long term care insurance to help pay for future in-home medical and support services, we also understood the need to remodel a portion of our multi-level home so that we could live on one floor, when future personal mobility issues would become a factor in our daily living routines. We visited with a number of remodeling contractors at several home shows and chose Red House Remodeling (RHR). Located in Valley Junction in West Des Moines, Iowa, they are a small company of five highly competent individuals that take pride in doing great work and experience a sense of accomplishment from making positive changes in the lives of their customers. Ben, as the contractor, is an honest and direct communicator. He is a systemic thinker, process driven, and highly organized, which mitigated hassles for us and allowed RHR to come in on budget. He was always willing to take the time necessary for us to understand the reasons for any pandemic related delays. COVID-19 has been a huge challenge, as supply chain disruptions have caused certain materials to be out of stock, creating delays in construction. Ben communicated these issues on a timely basis. Stephanie handles administration and marketing for the company. She was prompt and courteous in our requests for information. Jenna, using 3D software, helped us create and visualize the finished project months before the demolition and construction of our home actually began. She paid close attention to our wish list while providing a young professional’s perspective on what it would take to modernize our home. She provided attractive “Plan B” alternatives when COVID related delays forced us to look for different materials to install Chris and Troy are highly skilled construction professionals, that excel in doing quality work in an efficient manner. RHR was a great fit for our project. They understand what is needed to make a home viable for aging in place. We were very comfortable working with them. Finally, for anyone considering home renovation, it’s important to be flexible and willing to tolerate disruption when living in your house during the construction process. We found that the beautiful finished product was well worth the temporary inconvenience. Bill Taber & Susan Taber, Des Moines, Iow
- Des Moines Area RoofingGreat ! Owner Tim came out and did an emergency tarp -- in the rain, as my BR ceiling was leaking. Jan ( office manager ) worked with my insurance until the bid & repairs were enough to give me a great outcome. Their repair guy was professional, friendly and did a good job. I would not hesitate to use them again & to recommend them
- Des Moines Area RoofingThe crew was professional, quick and respectful of the yard. I would recommend them to anyone that is in need of a new roof.
- Element Construction CoTheir performance is absolutely stellar, much better than I’ve ever experienced with anyone else, and that’s by a very long shot. Hire this company. These guys work miracles for some of the best prices around, and this statement stands with no exaggeration whatsoever. Quality work, quality prices. I am honored and quite frankly blessed to have known Jeremy Ferranti. The man virtually saved my life
- Roof IowaRoof Iowa was in and done in one day. A very well coordinated team of hard workers stripped the old shingles, put down new and cleaned up in about 8 hours for both the house and garage. They were courteous and professional. Jon at Roof Iowa also installed new gutters and leaf guards for us as well as took down the old satelite dish. Most importantly he worked within the budget of the insurance estimates for the hail damage. We appreciated that very much
- Midwest Remodel And HandymanHe best contracted I have had in 15 years . He very detailed . There was a problem with existing pipe, he was not working . He told me about it and fix it . He does very good work and he does not try to take short cuts . I will be doing more house improvements and he will first one I will call.
- Scott's Home RenewalThe kitchen remodel was extensive--removing a wall, moving appliances and plumbing, new cabinetry, new flooring, covering a window, replacing siding. He is great to work with. We have an older home and he understands the complexities of this kind of upgrade. When there have been problems after a remodel (small things) he either comes himself to fix it, or sends one of his subcontractors. We found Andy on Angie's list and are very pleased with all of his service
- Scott's Home RenewalFirst of all, Andy and his father are super friendly, and I chose them primarily because I sensed they would be great to work with. Right from the start he was willing to negotiate his quote with me and refine his scope a bit so we both were satisfied. He was not the cheapest guy, but his price was competitive. My biggest concern with any contractor is obviously quality of work---no problem here. My next biggest concern is a contractor's propensity to find ways to add cost to a project. Andy did not do that. We agreed to a price and he stuck with it. He did not nickel-and-dime me to death. I did ask him once to increase his price for some additional services, which he was willing to do for a very reasonable $350 (I think he might have had some regrets with this amount after realizing how much effort it took, but he did not ask me for any more money!). Andy and his father do high-quality work. I remember telling him that I want both him and me to be proud of what they accomplished, and that is exactly what he delivered. One thing I must emphasize is Andy's willingness to work within my schedule (not only because I, too, work for a living, but because I did some work myself and hired an electrician myself to do an extensive amount of electrical work.) All this hassle with scheduling, waiting, whatever, can be point of contention with some contractors, but not Andy! He understands the homeowner's circumstances and we just worked things out over the phone or email. Also, you can trust Andy in your home. I gave him full access, since I was rarely present when they did their work. He always left the place nice, locked up, and secure. Another key point: Andy hired an excellent cabinet installer---beautiful work---precise, neat, and sound. The plumber he hired is the nicest plumber I have ever met, and he did such a fine professional job. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for hiring professional subcontractors that also care about their customers and the quality of their work. Thank you to Scott's Home Renewal for performing so well and providing such fine results! I highly recommend Andy and will most likely ask him to help me out on my next major renovation project that comes along
- Scott's Home RenewalThese are professional, punctual, clean people that you can trust to have in your home. They have integrity. What they say they will do, they will do. No complaints. I wouldn't use anyone else. My only hesitation in sharing about them is that they will become so busy I will have trouble getting them the next time!
- Scott's Home RenewalAndy is a professional and his work reflects that. We have been very satisfied with the work he has done for us and he is our first call for this type of project..
Contractors in Grimes
- Business Description:We do rough framing of houses, garages, and sheds. We also do siding installation, deck building, trim carpentry cabinet installation and custom built in cabinets and bookcases. We also build fire place mantles. I have been in the skilled trades for 15 years and love to build things with my handsRecent Review:I ordered a few handmade pieces of furniture ( coffee table and end tables ) as well as engraved and carved signs, the craftsmanship of everything was AMAZING! Everything was done with such skill. Everything was reasonably priced. I will definitely be ordering more stuffCrystal C.
- Business Description:We are a small buisness that has a personel touch. We have 4 employees that are curtious, trustwearthy and will be on the job everyday. We can do everything except lay carpet and HVAC but have very repitable buisnesses that we use for this. We take nothing up front so you pay as you go on every projectRecent Review:It took a little longer than quoted, but that was due to needing a beam and me changing some things. They were very professional, and very communicative. They worked well with us as we were living here while renovatingRene W.
- Business Description:FOR QUICKEST RESPONSE TIME, EMAIL OR MESSAGE US! -- 4x Super Service Award Winner, specializing in construction services such as Remodeling, Painting, Carpentry, Roofing, Decks/Porches, and Stucco. Our work ethic is simple, we concentrate on quality. We cannot offer cheap prices and quality, and I do not wish to do poor work. We also believe in taking care of everything you need. For example: I don't hire out my gutter work, we do it the right way, we handle everything including the rotted ..Recent Review:The workers were competent, skilled, respectful and kind, and the remodeling project was completed in a professional manner. On the surface, it sounds simple to move appliances from the basement to a first floor location, but it required permits, planning, and careful execution. When looking into the ventilation for the dryer, the workers discovered that work completed years ago by another contractor was done improperly. Bathroom vents were not vented to the outside and were instead vented directly into the space above the ceiling. They addressed this problem and other complications that arose with honesty, and Judd Penny was transparent about the status of the project throughout the project life cycle. If I needed remodeling completed - big or small projects - I would not hesitate to again work with Mid States Carpenters and Judd Penny. I was thrilled with the results and so were my elderly parentsSuellen C.
- Business Description:Better Builders, LLC is owned and operated in the Des Moines Area. We work with multiple other incorporated and limited liability companies and ensure the owner will be part of the building process throughout your projectRecent Review:I needed to replace a rotted deck on my home. I elected to go with composite materials for longer life. I received bids from two other deck companies, but Better Builders was the most competitive. They answered my questions on materials, gave me a couple options, offered a bid I could afford, and got to the work quickly. The work was very good quality. I was altogether pleased with their serviceRichard B.
- Business Description:We are a general contracting company focused on kitchen and bath renovations, basement finish, and interior remodeling. We are a small business with an emphasis on collaboration and communication. When working with us, you will be in direct contact with the owner of the company from the initial consultation through completion of your project. We hold schedules, budgets, and the daily livability of your remodel process to a high standard. 3 time Angie's List Super Service Award winnerRecent Review:The project was finished, pretty much on schedule. I was told when the workers would arrive, what work would be done, and at the end of each day, the work area was cleaned up. If I had any questions, they were immediately answered and any issues were always resolved to my satisfaction. Jesse has a good work ethic. His work is high quality, he's reliable, honest, has a positive attitude, and hires quality subcontractors. I am so happy with my new kitchen and would highly recommend Bryngelson Builders for any home remodelA N.
- Business Description:We do not manufacture windows or doors for homes nor do we use Insulated glass. Strafford Window Mfg. manufacturers custom wood windows for barns, sheds, stables, pool houses, cabin, porches and interior applications in the home. Our windows are made of all wood and single strength glass. Call for pricing on Tempered glass. Strafford Window MFG. manufactures Sashes, Transoms, Single Hung Window Units, Hopper Window Units, Fixed Window Units and Screens
- Business Description:Providing quality, affordable work from a licensed professional contractor. A large percentage of our business is generated from repeat customers and referrals. We are a trustworthy family business you can count onRecent Review:The basement remodel went well and we are very pleased with the work that Tim and his team completed. On the whole, Tim provided a good price, high-quality work, and was responsive and professional throughout the project. The punctuality of the work was only fair, however. To be fair, this was more typical of the sub-contractors Tim used and not him directly. We consistently had to contact Tim to see when the electrician and the drywall installer were, since they often did not show up at the appointed time. The price we paid for the whole project was $16,000. This price was $3-5,000 less than we were quoted from two other estimates we received. The $16,000 includes several (mostly minor) changes we made as the remodel was being completed (double closet door instead of single, etc). The only issue I had with the price was that the electrician that Tim used seemed to charge far too much ($3,300). I won’t pretend to know exactly the going rate for what he did, but it sure seems like we should have been able to save hundreds of dollars here with a different electrician. I expressed these concerns to Tim during the project and he said he would do his best to keep costs down, because he seemed to think it was high as well. On the whole, we were very happy with the overall cost of the remodel, but next time I will certainly be asking for a couple of bids on the electrical side. The work was high quality. The basement looks very nice and everything flows together well. We went through the work that was completed most nights and when we pointed out things that needed fixing, Tim made sure it was done. It’s been six months since everything was completed and everything is holding up well. I did notice that the can lights in the basement loosen a bit when our kids are jumping around on the main floor (and need to be pushed back in ¼”), but I don’t think that’s much of an issue. Tim’s responsiveness was good throughout the project. He usually answered our phone calls and when we left voicemails they were returned in a reasonable amount of time. As mentioned above, he followed up on issues we pointed out in a timely manner. When we had questions about a sub-contractor timeliness or work product, he addressed it directly with them. The punctuality was fair. Tim and his direct employee generally arrived close to the stated time, but the sub-contractors were often later than they stated, sometimes as late as several hours. With young kids needing naps (and the loud/inconsistent noises from construction), it would have been much appreciated to have people show up at or near the appointed time, which simply didn’t consistently happen. For his part, when we called Tim he reached out to the sub-contractors right away and typically responded to us quickly with a correct, updated time. Still, a C is a fair rating on the whole. Tim’s professionalism throughout the project was very good. He never came off as rushed and took the time to listen to our questions and comments. He always kept the price within reason and did a good job of explaining out the cost of any changes we had. He would call from a hardware store to ask about the color/style of something if he wasn’t sure. He treated us with respect and it was clear that he wanted us to be happy with the job. Lisa, his wife and main office contact, was very friendly and got me information I requested quickly and efficiently. High marks hereevan b.
- Business Description:Local Family Owned Business operating on integrity and honesty for all your Roofing needs. We are striving to "Build Iowa's Trust with every roof". After years of experience in the residential and commercial roofing industry, our family decided to do what we know best - honoring relationships and customers, performing quality work, and respecting your hard earned income. Our projects also include limited LIFE TIME warranty on workmanship. Roof Iowa is continually voted as Ankeny's Best RooferRecent Review:Roof Iowa was in and done in one day. A very well coordinated team of hard workers stripped the old shingles, put down new and cleaned up in about 8 hours for both the house and garage. They were courteous and professional. Jon at Roof Iowa also installed new gutters and leaf guards for us as well as took down the old satelite dish. Most importantly he worked within the budget of the insurance estimates for the hail damage. We appreciated that very muchdean f.
- Business Description:We have been in business since 2001, serving central Iowa. We started as a roofing only contractor. However, at the request of our clients, we have expanded to become a full service exterior remodeling company. This includes; siding, soffit, fascia, and gutters! We frequently work with our clients on insurance claims. We offer maintenance deals. We also offer financing options with third party vendors. We are a Certified Owens Corning contractor and Certified GAF contractor. Our team is train..Recent Review:After having a few negative experiences with contractors, what a surprise to work with a company that seems to do everything well. Albert came out to my house to give an estimate and I was sold almost immediately. Albert told me about my current shingles and that there had been a class action lawsuit. He offered to help me if I wanted to go after the company and then proceeded to tell me that I could probably get by for a couple of years if I wanted to go that route. I was so impressed with his knowledge and honesty that I decided to just pull the trigger and have them replaced. Albert told me that it would take three days. The first day there were 30mph winds so it wasn't safe for the crew to start work. Albert kept me in the loop and said they would start the next day. The job ended up taking two days including cleanup. The crew probably spent 3 hours cleaning up and left the yard looking better than when they arrived. Albert then followed up and spent an hour or so checking on their work and also doing another pass of cleaning up the nails. Replacing a roof is expensive and not an exciting way to spend your money but Action Roofing did a great job and I would highly recommend using them for roofing issuescurtis g.
- Business Description:Red House Remodeling is a design-build, residential remodeling company that prides itself on offering innovative solutions and unmatched customer service to your major remodeling project. Our employees demonstrate superior knowledge and craftsmanship that is second to none. You can trust Red House Remodeling with your kitchen and bath remodeling, basement finish, room addition and whole home remodeling projects. Red House Remodeling is registered and fully insured in accordance to all Iowa re..Recent Review:We built our dream home in 1983 and raised our four children in it. Like nine people out of ten in America, we want to live out the rest of our years in our home. Having preemptively purchased long term care insurance to help pay for future in-home medical and support services, we also understood the need to remodel a portion of our multi-level home so that we could live on one floor, when future personal mobility issues would become a factor in our daily living routines. We visited with a number of remodeling contractors at several home shows and chose Red House Remodeling (RHR). Located in Valley Junction in West Des Moines, Iowa, they are a small company of five highly competent individuals that take pride in doing great work and experience a sense of accomplishment from making positive changes in the lives of their customers. Ben, as the contractor, is an honest and direct communicator. He is a systemic thinker, process driven, and highly organized, which mitigated hassles for us and allowed RHR to come in on budget. He was always willing to take the time necessary for us to understand the reasons for any pandemic related delays. COVID-19 has been a huge challenge, as supply chain disruptions have caused certain materials to be out of stock, creating delays in construction. Ben communicated these issues on a timely basis. Stephanie handles administration and marketing for the company. She was prompt and courteous in our requests for information. Jenna, using 3D software, helped us create and visualize the finished project months before the demolition and construction of our home actually began. She paid close attention to our wish list while providing a young professional’s perspective on what it would take to modernize our home. She provided attractive “Plan B” alternatives when COVID related delays forced us to look for different materials to install Chris and Troy are highly skilled construction professionals, that excel in doing quality work in an efficient manner. RHR was a great fit for our project. They understand what is needed to make a home viable for aging in place. We were very comfortable working with them. Finally, for anyone considering home renovation, it’s important to be flexible and willing to tolerate disruption when living in your house during the construction process. We found that the beautiful finished product was well worth the temporary inconvenience. Bill Taber & Susan Taber, Des Moines, IowBill T.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
Hiring a contractor without a license might cost less, but it could result in repairs, fines, and even legal fees. Always verify a contractor’s license, bonding, and liability insurance. We’ve outlined the risks of unlicensed contractors here.
Some homeowners may be uneasy about letting contractors use their bathroom, but it could be advantageous to everyone. Here’s what you should consider before setting a bathroom policy for workers at your home and some possible alternatives.
Find general contractors in
general contractors in Grimes
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- B-Squared Construction27 Pivot Rock Rd
Eureka Springs, Arkansas 72632
- Better Builders, LLC3807 122nd Street
Urbandale, Iowa 50323
- Bob Lasnek construction4501 aurora ave
Des Moines, Iowa 50310
- Bob Peterson Painting4505 Forest Ave
Des Moines, Iowa 50311
- Bridgewater Handyman Service LLC2027 64th St
Windsor Heights, Iowa 50324
- B-Squared Construction
- Elevate Construction Inc1000 S Fairfield Drive Ste. 80
Pensacola, Florida 32506
- Elevate Construction Inc
- MAWDSLEY HOME IMPROVEMENT505 NE 12th St
Grimes, Iowa 50111
- MDH Design & Construction1986 NW 80th Ct
Clive, Iowa 50325
- MENACI DESIGN DRYWALL The King Of Drywall6713 Quakertown Ave. 1348 windermere ct ,palmdale,ca 93551
Winnetka, California 91306
- METHUM PAINTING411 N Central Ave.
Huxley, Iowa 50124
- Mid States Carpenters Group Corporation2009 Nature Trail
Winterset, Iowa 50273
- Midwest Remodel And HandymanPO BOX 42492
Urbandale, Iowa 50323
- MIKE WEIGEL CONSTRUCTION LLC8517 WINSTON AVE
Urbandale, Iowa 50322
- Mikes General Contracting3224 SW 12th St
Des Moines, Iowa 50315
- Moore Quality Construction215 SE Wildflower Ct
Pleasant Hill, Iowa 50327
- MAWDSLEY HOME IMPROVEMENT
- OAKWOOD BUILDERS GROUP316 SW 5TH ST
Des Moines, Iowa 50309
- OAKWOOD BUILDERS GROUP
- Scott's Home Renewal676 44th St
Des Moines, Iowa 50312
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
Columbus, Ohio 43229
- Smart Roofing LLC2614 61St St
Des Moines, Iowa 50322
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire 03884
- Swieter Home Lawn and Snow LLC2900 Capitol Ave
Des Moines, Iowa 50317
- Scott's Home Renewal
- Tasler Carpentry LLC4975 170th Ave
Carlisle, Iowa 50047
- Tasler Carpentry LLC
- Umthun Construction11651 NW 121st St
Granger, Iowa 50109
- Umthun Construction
- Woodmaster Remodeling885 NW Aurora Ave
Des Moines, Iowa 50313
- Woodmaster Remodeling