Art Sirota Construction

Founded 1987 • With Angi since August 2006

PO Box 48

Palmdale, CA 93551

In business for twenty years in the bay area, art sirota construction offers a complete range of services for residential construction and remodelling. We can perform large jobs, new construction, additions, kitchen and bathroom remodels, finish carpentry and mouldings, windows and doors,

09/26/2016

Laura B.

He was very helpful with ideas, but was unable to take the job.

Description of Work
I needed a several room renovation and a back porch extended and enclosed.

01/29/2016

Tom S.

He leaned the slated fence up against the original fence in my side yard and he broke the post they were all leaning against. He then wanted to charge me to fix it and I said no and paid him what I owed him for moving the fence. He also measured the rear fence for the wrong length. The work he had to do was a joke for what it cost and the fence in the backyard is now solid.

Description of Work
I hired him to move my front fence into the backyard.

Category remodeling

About a year before hiring me, the owner hired someone else to sink a new post to support an existing fence because the original post had rotted. That person did not use any concrete and did not use pressure-treated lumber. While I was working, I did lean some fence boards up against that fence not knowing that the new post was completely rotted away due to somebody else's shoddy work. When it became obvious that the post was not providing any support, I went to the store and purchased some sacks of concrete to fix it. I dug a two foot deep hole around the post but found that there was no concrete and the post was completely rotted away. The owner wanted me to sink a new pressure-treated post in concrete for free, but since I didn't create this problem, I said no. Obviously, whoever sank that new post last year did not know what he was doing. This post was completely rotted away before I ever set foot on the property. Also, I did not mis-measure anything. I measured 65' of fence, and it was 65' of fence. However, it turned out that four of the existing boards could not be re-used due to damage sustained when a tree fell on them years ago. However, at my own expense, I provided four new boards to replace the ones that were damaged by that tree years ago. I did not charge extra for those boards.

05/28/2015

JON B.

Category drywall, handyman service, remodeling, interior painters

09/04/2014

Suzan K.

The job turned out great! The door is perfectly balanced and swings and locks easily. The new threshold is tight and secure, no more tripping and no more leaves and dirt blowing in through the gap. Art was great throughout; when he came out for the estimate he even looked at another project that we are working on and gave some great, helpful tips. He gave us the estimate on site and followed it up with a clear, concise contract. He was a pleasure to talk to and did a great job on the door. No high pressure sales tactics, just felt like we were talking to a friend with a lot of skills.

Description of Work
Art removed the old rotted door and threshold from the garage to the backyard and replaced them both; also installed the new hardware on the door and new weatherstripping.

Category remodeling, doors

11/04/2013

arthur A.

as soon as permits were issued he got to work right away, footing and frame completed in 7 days. he payed attention to detail and is a very honest guy.for first time working in area he found best people to work for him and always asked if we were satisfied with were we were at, and how work was done. everything done is top notch and most important room addition looks anything but! looks as if always was here.we feel very lucky we found him. thank you angie's list and thank you Art for a job well done!!!!

Description of Work
built a room addition 11 by 18ft

08/12/2013

Angela C.

I purchased one of the promotions that included up to 3 hours of handyman service. Art Sirota did a good job. The only issue was we had to schedule it three times due to family illness. Other than that, everything went well and I would use him again if needed.

Description of Work
Art Sirota provided handyman service for drywall repairs for three places, disconnected a fan I had in the bathroom which I wanted done, and fixed a door hardware.

Category drywall, handyman service, remodeling

03/12/2013

Angela D.

Excellent.

Description of Work
We had a few large cracks and areas of stucco on our house that had fallen off. The cracks and holes were repaired and the whole house and trim painted (no gutters). We had a small back door to our garage that needed to be replaced. A small wood bust in the front of our home was removed and replaced and painted to match the new house paint. Art and his partner did a great job. They were professional and on time and fair pricing. I had previously had a very bad experience with a different company for a kitchen remodel so I was nervous about having work done,how long it would take,etc. I was very happy with the work and communication from Art and his team.

Category woodworking, stucco, interior painters, doors

11/13/2012

Allison M.

Initially i had a list of small jobs I wanted some help on, but we ended up picking one main item, which was to install a doggie door in on of my exterior doors. Art recommended replacing the door, as it was a hollow-core door starting to warp at the bottom. I was going to have to replace the door eventually, so I ordered a solid core door, and decided to have the guys at the shop cut and install the doggie door. It was all ready to go and be installed. Art is a very patient and thoughtful woodworker, very cheerful and chatty. The doorframe is a little crooked so it took a while to hang the door properly. Unfortunately, we'd only budgeted (and I'd prepaid) 3 hours for the project. Art was late because his early morning client had kept him waiting. Hanging the door and installing the sweep took over 3 hours and Art was getting nervous about being late for his afternoon client. The door was hung perfectly (it looks beautiful) and Art didn't charge me for the extra hour he stayed to finish the hanging and sweep. I can't say I was too happy that the installation didn't include re-installing the doorknob and lock; we nailed the door shut until I could get a locksmith to come by and install the doorknob and deadbolt we'd removed from the old door. He did offer to come back the next day if I needed help, but I decided to go with the locksmith, who took approximately 30 minutes to complete the work.

Description of Work
Replacement of an exterior door.

Category woodworking, doors

05/09/2012

Paul G.

Great.

Description of Work
Art came over to quote on a tricky fireplace job. He gave us some great advice and referred us to a structural engineer he knows. I wouldn't hesitate to call him in future for quotes on jobs that will inevitably come up.

Category remodeling, foundation repair

04/19/2012

DALI M.

They estimated the repairs on painting and drywall through out the home. Also, they gave us estimates to repair the walls, floor, and the fencing. They were very prompt and professional.

Description of Work
They came out to give an estimate for repairs inside our home.

Category drywall, fencing, flooring contractor, interior painters

03/29/2012

Cynthia M.

Art is a very friendly and positive person, and has some 30 years of experience in the business. He explains what he needs to do and points out where problems may originate due to prior faulty construction or practices. I found him to be prompt and he kept in good communications to let me know how the project was progressing and any updates. He showed up when he said either he or his subcontractors would be here. He is fairly meticulous, and I woud rate his workmanship close to 9 on a scale of 1-10. To this day I'm not sure he completely licked the leak problem, but to be fair it is one of those difficult-to-trace problems that only occurs with certain kinds of violent storms. I do believe he worked very hard to solve the problem and did some excellent upgrade work. We have not had a reoccurence of the leak so far after a couple seasons of rain. I would not hesitate to recommend Art for general remodelling and construction work. I will add the caveat that I consider him to be on the expensive side with a high hourly rate and you have to take responsibility to watch the costs. For example, I ended up with about $200 of unused tile due to overestimation of the quantity needed. On a $14k job, maybe this is within reason, but make sure you understand what things will cost as the project proceeds and you will be fine.

Description of Work
Art did some repair for a chronic leak problem which required major reworking of an upper-story patio, replacing doors, repairing dry rot, etc.

11/02/2011

Amy L.

I liked their responsiveness, punctuality, friendliness, and quality. I used one of Angie's List's specials, so the charge was $119 for 3 hours.

Description of Work
I used the services of Art Sirota Construction last week.

03/07/2011

Sharon H.

Everything went fine. Art is fun to work with. He is great at following through and communicating with you.

Description of Work
They remolded the interior rooms.

10/01/2010

Ken T.

This is an excellent company. When the shower was being rebuilt, we were able to use his shower, which was helpful.

Description of Work
Art Sirota Construction repaired and remodeled a bathroom.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

06/26/2010

Tracey B.

General contractor was involved very little in the actual job supervision or performance of work. Subcontractor who managed most aspects of the job was excellent.

Description of Work
bathroom remodel, including structural repairs

04/09/2010

Ken I.

He wasn’t as competitive as the company I decided to go with. He was very helpful. He and his team were very good, responsive and good at following up.

Description of Work
I got a quote from Art Sirota Construction, 2-3 weeks ago. The quote was for exterior remodeling on my house and some refinishing work on the stucco.

Category remodeling, replacement windows

02/10/2010

David R.

They were responsive in getting the estimate to us. I think their pricing was on the higher side.

Description of Work
Art Sirota Construction gave us an estimate for interior painting and tile installation for our living room.

Category ceramic tile, interior painters

11/23/2009

Paul C.

There comes those rare instances when you have an all around good experience from a very large and complex project. I can gladly say my dealings with Art Sirota is one of those times. My wife and I purchased a large lot with a home that was built in 1921 in Menlo Park. Suffice it to say, it needed updating. My project involved a complete remodel and some tear down of the existing property. Before starting the project, I interviewed no less then 6 recommended contractors from various sources such as Yelp.com, message boards, and of course here on Angie’s list. My wife and I came away from the interviews feeling the best about Art Sirota. He was up front, honest, and detailed oriented – often pointing out many things we were not aware about the project. As the project commenced, we found him always available to address concerns and resolve issues or problems. Some of the detailed things that really impressed us were: Art’s level of communication and commitment to the project. He started right away and his crew and staff were always courteous, professional and tried to make us happy. The whole project lasted about 4 months and through out the whole time Art was consistent in his approach to dealing with any issues that came up. He always dealt with matter in a constructive and fair way. In the end we were able to meet our budget and Art was accommodating to our concerns. Art’s work was top quality and fairly priced. His staff was very organized and clean. We have now moved into the property and I can enthusiastically say we are very pleased. I would recommend Art Sirota for any project, large or small. He has restored my confidence in contractors and I would happily use him again for any future projects. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at paulchua@yahoo.com

Description of Work
Complete Remodel, Tear Down, Paint, Heating, Plumbing, Foundation, New Room, Drywall, Insulation, Electrical and New Roof

Category decks, drywall, remodeling, roofing, replacement windows, garage builders, woodworking, home remodeling, doors, sunrooms, foundation repair

07/21/2009

Ken T.

We live in the redwood forest on the San Francisco Peninsula, in an unincorporated part of San Mateo County. The sun room attached to the house we purchased in 1990 came with a glass roof; about 5 years ago it began leaking. The aluminum guides the held the glass in place acted as traps collecting debris and preventing water from sheeting off the glass, and the caulking around the panes had eroded over time. In addition, it became incredibly hot whenever there was any sun at all. We hired Art Sirota to replace the glass with a regular roof, with intermittent skylights - 4 static, and 4 operable. Because he could not ascertain the status of the walls without opening them, we planned to review them after the roof was removed. After considerable research, we decided to accept his choice of skylights (higher curb-mounted rather than the lower curbless skylights) to reduce the risk of leakage in a storm. We did some research on recent tax breaks for energy-efficient windows (skylights); neither Art, nor anyone else, seemed to be familiar with them. Only one skylight manufacturer seemed to be working on acceptable skylights, and their timing was outside of our window for completion. All work was done reasonably rapidly despite a brief weather interruption. All debris, including some excess that we needed to remove from the yard, was disposed of; there was very little mess to deal with during work, and none upon completion of the project. The team appeared promptly every morning, and avoided intruding unless absolutely necessary. Art contacted us daily so that we always knew what was happening. There were no surprises. We did request some other, minor tasks unrelated to the sun room work, which were handled with extra work orders, and which were completed quickly, neatly, and satisfactorily. These included correcting some minor walkway problems, and running an extended water and electric line into the yard. Issues and costs for these sun room-unrelated items are not included in this review. Upon completion, with the final bill, he provided us with the receipts for all materials and an accounting of all time expended. I have waited a couple of months before filing this review in order to see if anything occurs post-completion. A couple of the rafters are still leaking some sap onto the floor, and will probably do so for some indeterminate period of time. The operable skylights seem to work properly. The heat in the sun room is considerably reduced, though it still gets pretty warm when it's sunny; hopefully, the ventilator will help once it's motor is replaced. With a 5-year warranty, I expect not to have any problems this winter. The sun room gets rather warm in the sun, but it is no longer like Texas. The temperature within the house is, consequently, no longer miserable. We opted to stain the ceiling and paint the interior walls and floor ourselves. We will have the exterior painted by a professional.

Description of Work
We hired Art Sirota to replace the leaky glass roof of the sun room with a regular roof with 8 intermittent skylights. The original, incorrectly installed rafters (the rafter's bird's mouth cuts where they rested on the outer wall were obviously done improperly) were replaced. As expected, the wood in one wall was obviously rotten; repairing it required an extra work order. Other changes of note included our choice to use newer shingles rather than attempt to match the very old (and no longer available) shingles on the house roof, and to replace the old shingles on the matching side of the house roof; this change was handled with an extra work order as well. The ceiling of the sun room was covered with 2x6, tongue & groove decking, similar to the cathedral ceiling within the house. We decided not to insulate the ceiling, as we felt the potential benefits did not justify the cost. Specifically, we felt that, with the temperature of the sun room kept within bounds of reason, it would impact the temperature in the house less. Art also handled the building permit and inspections, and apprised us of potential issues that the county inspect might raise so we could be prepared to deal with them. Fortunately, none arose.

01/18/2008

Hedeff E.

Everything went smoothly and quickly.

Description of Work
Art and his crew built a garage with an attached art studio for us.

Category remodeling, garage builders

05/09/2007

Andi M.

It went great, for us. Art had a hard time removing some of the windows due to the contractor who installed them incorrectly when our house was built in 1958. It took him many more hours and much more work to do it correctly. but, to his credit the price on the bill never changed. The windows look great and many of our neighbors have used him because of the great job he did.

Description of Work
New windows and doors for our house.

Category remodeling, replacement windows, doors

05/09/2007

Andi M.

Art did a wonderful job, we redid our kitchen and remodeled our bath due to water damage. It all came out great and when we sold the house, we have multiple offers and many said the kitchen sold the house.

Description of Work
Remodeling of Kitchen and Bath.

Category remodeling, home remodeling

04/30/2007

JEANNE G.

All work orders were in writing with estimates. His crew was very good about cleaning up and even cleaned some junk out of the garage. The subcontractors were here when expected, and were all very professional.

Description of Work
Art was the general contractor for some house and yard remodeling. He took care of all the sub-contractors and their work was done in a timely way. Art and his crew demolished the patio and took out small structures in the backyard. They built a deck and several planter boxes. They made several minor changes inside the house and worked with a heating/plumbing company to install ducts for a new furnace. Art brought in an electrician to update lighting. He also hired a painter to paint outside and inside when all else was finished.