Is your contractor taking advantage of you, or acting in an unprofessional way? Angie Hicks explain what to do when your contractor acts like a bully.
Get matched with top general contractors in Utica, NY
There are 6 highly-rated local general contractors.
Matching on Angi
Recent General Contractors Reviews in Utica
- The Wright BuildersThese guys were fantastic! On time and on point. We had one deck that needed a complete overhaul, and another that we wanted extended. Start to finish, no issues. Took 6 days, with Eric doing most of the heavy lifting. We could not be happier with the result.
- J TechReceived a quote from Jeff in April which was much more reasonable than any other quote I got. It took him a while to return my phone call, but once he started work in June he was at my house every day including some Saturdays and Sundays. He was easy to talk to and took any changes I made in stride. He only took a few days off to do a smaller job here and there which is understandable considering the large size of this job. He obviously knows what he is doing and everything he completed is really great. I was impressed with his attention to detail. My house looks like brand new and I am thrilled with the completed product. Will definitely call Jeff for any other work I need done
- GXR ConstructionIt went very well. This is very HOT work at this time of year and I recommend this company for being diligent and mindful of getting the job done on time. Our home is far more pleasing to the eye than before and we are looking forward to far less snow/ice buildup t!his winter! I would and will have this gentleman back to do more work in the future and recommend him highly! http://us.mc1126.mail.yahoo.com/mc/showMessage?fid=Inbox&mid=1_1820508_AMEbiWIAAU%2BsTjgvQwGzGy0NSsA&pSize=25&sort=date&order=down&startMid=0&filterBy=&.rand=1267438202&acrumb=FtZLYHj3eKQ&pre=1&cind=368&enc=auto&cmd=msg.scan&pid=2&tnef=&fn=IMG-20110620-00016.jp
- Adams ConstructionExemplary! Adams construction was prompt and the quality of workmanship is excellent! Everything was clean where work was done. I love using my new entrance way to my patio several times a day. Adams Construction is so reliable and concerned about giving their customer the highest quality of work that I am going to have them put a new roof on my home
- J TechExcellent! He is VERY fast and effecient. My wife and I are extremely pleased with his work. We will be recommending him to everyone we know!
- T-Square Custom Remodeling and framingThe first time T-Square did work in my home was about 3 years ago. He showed up with his guys prepped the area where they were going to work. covered everything with plastic and started working. Although we had already signed an agreement They worked an entire day before he came to me for the down payment we had agreed on. The only days they did not show up were days that he advised me in advance that for some reason or other they would not be there that day. I was comfortable with that. When the job was done. I felt like I had cheated them. They went way beyond the call of duty to make sure I was happy and I can be pretty annoying when I'm not happy. I don't remember a lot of the other details but I am still enjoying my sun room today. He has gotten a little more busy I guess since then. It's harder to get him and his prices have increased but I'm always satisfied with the work
- HM Quality Carpentry and Handyman Servicescontractor was pleasant on initial visit. he was going to return in a week to fix a toilet issue and with quotes for other projects. i never heard from him again. a curtasey call to say he couldn't , wouldn't, or just didn't want to do the job would have been appreciated. not professional at all.
- T-Square Custom Remodeling and framingT was an absolute nightmare. we received a time estimate of two weeks, no more than three. it's been three months and the work is still not finished. our house was left an absolute mess for months with nails in the yard and deck, unsafe stairs for weeks, and no one cleaning up after themselves. trash and cigarettes have littered our yard. we are on the third time of him attempting to finish work correctly and the job still can't be completed. the dishwasher was installed incorrectly causing our basement to flood where we now have mold. no less than 15 times they have said " we will be there today to work!" and then have just not shown up, sometimes disappearing for weeks at a time. we now have to attempt to collect a partial refund through the court system. T is a smooth talker, friendly, and a great personality.....we trusted him. but he completely betrayed that trust with a horrible work ethic, unsafe working conditions, and unsatisfactory work across everything they've touched. I've never left a bad review somewhere, and was very hesitant to do so, as I know this can effect his livelihood. but I would hate for someone to go through this same experience when using a contractor
- Botelho General MaintenanceI hired Alan Botehlo after getting his name from a friend, saying he was between jobs. I called and met with him at the beginning of January and we agreed on the price of $800 for the removal of the old floor, laying and leveling of a new subfloor and installation of a new ceramic floor. We discussed how he would take $200 off the price if I wanted to work with him. He told me that he would need a $300 deposit. He took the deposit money and said he would be there on the following Sat. to begin demolition. I asked if he wanted me to get started, as I was anxious to have the work done. I started ripping up the old flooring (6 layers worth) and then the excuses started. My daughter is sick, my kids are with me this weekend, I have a wedding to go to, on and on and on. I finished the removal of the entire 20x18 by myself. Every time i spoke with him he told me to either call him Wed. evening or on Sat. morning. Being the trusting (sucker) soul that I am, I did as he said and he never answered or returned any of my calls. In April he changed his phone number. I was able to find his new phone and started leaving messages. When June arrived I had had enough and called to tell him that I would no longer need his services and I would like my money back. I heard nothing from him. In August I took him to small claims court. He never showed up but did call the court to say he was not coming but would be paying me back my money. After 30 days later and no communication I filed a "judgement" against him with the county. I have heard absolutely nothing from him. Here it is, Jan. 15, 2013 and I am still walking on a gutted floor. A couple of weeks ago I found another person who had once worked for him. Alan still owes him $900. His ex-employee said that he steals things on the sites. I came up missing the $100 Lowe's gift card I had purchased so he could get supplies needed for the job. DO NOT HIRE HIM FOR ANYTHING!!! Unfortunately, I learned a hard lesson
- J TechAlthough Jeff came out to look at some general carpentry workI wanted to have done, wrote everything down, told me he'd get me a ballpark estimate, told me he could do the work within 4 weeks, I never heard from him again. I've used Jeff in the past to repair my dryer and was very satisfied with the service and price and wrote a very good review reflecting that. However, I find it inexcusable to waste my time by showing up to evaluate work he said he'd do, make me wait four weeks, and then never show up or follow-up. I will not be using his services again
Last update on December 2, 2020
Contractors in Utica
Explore our Solution Center for helpful contractor articles
If you’re hiring a contractor, should you hire one who is bonded or insured? Here’s why finding a bonded and insured contractor might be the best option.
Many states in the U.S. cap how much a contractor can ask for as a downpayment before work begins. If a contractor asks for more than half of the project cost upfront, it could be a red flag. Read on to find out how much you should pay upfront.
Find general contractors in
- New York Mills,
- New Hartford,
- Holland Patent,
general contractors in Utica
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, join Angi now!
- C & G CONSTRUCTION COMPANY1007 PARK AVE
Utica, New York 13501
- Kalex Energy, Co6002 Trenton Rd
Utica, New York 13502
- MHS Contracting1405 Albany St
Utica, New York 13501
- Pano's Home Improvement and Concrete608 Dawes Ave.
Utica, New York 13502
- T-Square Custom Remodeling and framing1656 elm st
Utica, New York 13502
- C & G CONSTRUCTION COMPANY
- Bernie Sommer Renovations25 Henry St
Mohawk, New York 13407
- Bernie Sommer Renovations
- Christopher Marlowe General Contracting Services27 Dawn Dr
Rochester, New York 14617
- Christopher Marlowe General Contracting Services
- Downstream Construction2721 Edmonds Road
Boonville, New York 13309
- Downstream Construction
- Moran Contracting44 Brown Ave
Norwich, New York 13815
- Moran Contracting
- New Frontiers, LLCPO Box 420
Holland Patent, New York 13354
- New Frontiers, LLC
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space6317 Busch Blvd
Columbus, Ohio 43229
- Strafford Window Manufacturing, Inc.168 Roller Coaster Road
Strafford, New Hampshire 03884
- ShadeTree Canopies – for COOL outdoor living space
- Torchia's Home Improvement10153 roberts rd
Sauquoit, New York 13456
- Torchia's Home Improvement
- Uhlig Home Improvements7752 Sandy Cir
Rome, New York 13440
- Uhlig Home Improvements
- Woodford Bros Inc6500 RT-80
Apulia Station, New York 13020
- Woodford Bros Inc