Second Life

Founded 1993 • With Angi since November 2006

Antiques
Furniture - Custom Made

2016 and 2017 Editors' Choice Winner Northshore Magazine quote: In a culture where so much gets thrown away, it’s refreshing that Second Life’s main purpose and passion is breathing new life into furniture. Working with both antique and contemporary pieces, Second Life’s ethos is to restore pieces that people intend to keep forever. Customers trust Second Life’s for all their restoration needs, including upholstery, refinishing, caning and repair. See some of their work up close at Harvard’s Museum of Natural History; Second Life worked to painstakingly restore the wooden cases that hold the museum’s famed Glass Flowers Collection Second Life first opened its doors in 1993, as a small shop focused on repairs and Refinishing of both traditional and contemporary furniture. Seventeen years later the craftsmen at Second Life, often teaming up with the clients whom they serve, are designing and creating some of the most beautiful Furniture in the country.Furniture Finishing, Antique Restoration, Furniture Refinishing and Upholstering of valued items you would like to keep forever, along with Custom Building remarkable pieces in traditional and contemporary styles. Contact us at www.secondlife.net or send photos of the work you need completed to joe@secondlife.net or click to call us directly to plan your project....

Handyman and jb painting

Bay State Painting & Power Washing

Hi there. I am Steve the owner of Bay State and I have over 25 years of experience in residential repairs.I can help with any Honey-Do-List you can throw at me! Some of my services including but not limited to: Interior & exterior painting (Lead certified), pressure washing:deck, porch, & patio painting/repair/cleaning/restoration, carpentry. No job too big or small. I offer a 10% Senior & 15% Veteran's Discount. Please give me a call today! Also 10% for customers booking early for interior painting for holidays and new year’s. Paint five rooms (ceilings walls and trim )and get a sixth room free! Book now to get your spot! Happy holidays

MDA Painting and Handymen

We are a family-owned business with more than 10 years of experience in this field. We offer top-quality interior and exterior residential and commercial painting services as well as handymen services. At MDA, we pride ourselves in knowing our customers and taking care of their needs. We are all about building and maintaining a great relationship by providing customized services and a fair price that will fit your needs and meet your budget. We are happy to serve you!

02/16/2020

jennifer Y.

Joe was excellent. He'd refinished the leaves for the same table before, and when a house guest accidentally cracked one of the table's wings over the holidays, he was my first call. He came to the house, assessed the situation, took the table back to his shop, and returned it very quickly, within 1-2 weeks. The pickup/dropoff service was great, as I only have a sedan. His price was very reasonable - around $450, all in. Would highly recommend his work and wouldn't hesitate to hire him again.

Description of Work
Repair flap joint on antique drop leaf table

07/16/2019

BEVERLY B.

Joe Valone is - to say the least - amazing. My furniture needed complete redo - from the springs to the wood. And I am totally overwhelmed at the beautiful job he did! I had the furniture redone 33 years ago by a business that I thoroughly checked out. Joe did a much better job this time. He is personable, very knowledgeable, and the quality of work is fantastic. He also had a wide variety of upholstery samples so I could choose a more modern design. When my furniture was delivered I had a chance to meet the craftsman who stripped and redid my furniture. Not an easy job when the sofa has wings, cornucopias, fruit, paws, swirls, and grooved areas. Joe was so engaging that he kept me appraised of the progress by sending photos of my furniture at various stages. When he had a choice regarding gimp ribbon trim, he sent me photos so I could make the choice. I felt involved in this whole process. I was so impressed that I gave them an antique child's rocker that i had taken apart and stripped decades ago - before I realized that I really didn't want to ruin the piece. The rocker is fantastic! The price for this work was high - but I gladly paid for the expertise and skill. I got what I paid for - and then some.

Description of Work
I had two antique chairs and a 170 year old sofa that needed help. Then I threw in a 115 year old child's rocker.

Category furniture repair,upholstery,antiques

12/24/2018

JANE R.

Second Life did a beautiful job on this table. I had partially stripped off the old finish before realizing that a good job was beyond my expertise. Joe picked up and delivered the table to our home. It's gorgeous. (I didn't rate the price because I don't know what other refinishers would charge.)

Description of Work
Repair and refinish Victorian coffee table.

Category furniture repair,antiques

09/21/2017

Elise T.

Four years ago I first met Joe Vallone of Second Life when I had him repair and refinish several pieces of antique furniture. One piece in particular, an oak slant front desk, had been sitting in a basement for years, and was in such poor condition I was considering throwing it out. After examining it closely, Joe said: "This is a fine piece. We can bring it back." And he did! Beautifully! It has brought me great joy since. So, when I decided it was time to do something about the very deep scratches that had been made in a kitchen cabinet by our cat, I of course thought of Joe. He offered to stop by to take a look, and ended up fixing it on the spot. (I won't tell you how; it's a secret!) And, there was no charge! This is the kind of craftsman and business man that one considers oneself very lucky indeed to have found.

Description of Work
Repair of deep scratches on wood kitchen cabinet.

04/17/2017

Diane C.

The furniture looks as good as new. We are very happy with the results.

Description of Work
We had a forty-year-old maple kitchen set refinished.

02/22/2016

JACK C.

We are moving to New York City in April and decided not to have Joe repair the bureau because of the possibility of damage during the move. But I would hire him in a heartbeat if I were staying in the Boston area. He is absolutely the most courteous, gentlemanly work person I have ever encountered - and I've encountered more than my share. He charged me nothing for the estimate. And even when I - with great reluctance; the decision not to hire him was my husband's - had to decline his services, he was unbelievably gracious. I even received an email wishing me good luck on my move, and suggesting that the bureau might be repaired by our New York City cabinet maker. I cannot recommend anyone more highly, especially given all the A grades he's gotten on his work from other reviewers.

Description of Work
Joe Vallone, owner of this business, gave me a $1000 estimate for repairing a beautiful antique chest of drawers I inherited from my grandmother.

08/19/2015

Mara Z.

This is my second time using Second Life and I have been a happy customer both times. Owner, Joe Vallone is meticulous in his work and takes great care to return each piece to its original condition. Joe took his time to assess the furniture condition and give various options to fix the pieces. He was also very upfront in the cost of the repair and stayed on track with that price point. Joe is not only an artist in his ability to repair antique furniture, but he is a very nice and honest guy. I would definitely use his services again!

Description of Work
Fixed the legs to my 1942 Chinese Chippendale table that was completely broken. Reconstructed and reupholstered the arm chair to the set that had a collapsed seat and was broken into many pieces. Second Life meticulously repaired the back to another chair in the set that was splintered and broken into tiny pieces. They were able to save the original wood and fixed both chairs like a jigsaw puzzle.

Category furniture repair,upholstery

05/26/2015

abigail H.

The work was beautifully executed. The company arrived as scheduled and picked up the pieces. Joe was delightful to do business with and his company did an amazing job. One piece in particular - the chest on chest - had been in a barn for about 25 years. It was in dreadful condition; it was difficult to even see the wood grain under all the accumulated filth. My cousin had been about to throw it out. Joe restored it bringing out the lovely pattern of tiger maple. It was hard to believe it was the same piece! The care and skill of this marvelous refinishing studio is tops!

Description of Work
Second Life has refinished and/or restored many family pieces including a dining room set, several small pieces, a Victorian blanket chest and chest-on-chest. This was done over a period of about 5 years.

01/27/2015

christine E.

They did an excellent job but it was more costly than I had hoped.

Description of Work
repaired the upholstery in a chair

07/30/2014

liz B.

Although the cost was high, I think that's the price of restoring furniture. They were responsive, friendly, and did a fantastic job. I would happily recommend them to others.

Description of Work
Restored chest of drawers damaged in a fire.

Category furniture repair

Antique Restoration, Custom Building, Upholstering, Refinishing & Repair. Insurance Claims