Dowdy Electric Co

Founded 1975 • With Angi since May 1995

FREE ESTIMATES for new installs and replacements! Call today to schedule! Dowdy Electric, Co. is fully licensed as a master electrician and electrical contractor. We provide quality electrical services for most of central Indiana and we are able to provide you with complete residential and commercial electrical. Dowdy Electric, Co. is an Authorized GENERAC and KOHLER sales & service home standby generator dealer. Ask about Angie's List discount. 317.24.POWER (317.247.6937)...

A Service Provider's profile image

+2 more images

electrician (774)lighting (99)ceiling fan installation (64)generator service (18)appliance repair (9)HVAC Companies (4)

07/21/2022

Marc R.

My provider arrived more then promptly(early actually) and made sure to get in touch to ensure this was ok. Upon arrival, they were quite professional and quickly got to work diagnosing the issue. They were able to identify the problem rapidly and provided me with options on how to move forward to fix the problem. Once this was agreed to, they were able to retrieve the needed parts and set about getting the work done. The work was done with professionalism and speed, resulting in my kitchen now having consistent lighting to the point where I'm almost shocked at how strong the lighting is. Overall, I had an excellent experience and would absolutely hire from Dowdy again.

Description of Work
I had issues regarding the consistency of my kitchen lights turning on and staying on, along with the quality of light being provided

Work Completed On 07/21/2022

07/11/2022

Annie C.

Came out quickly, fixed the issue the same day - Technician was incredibly professional and knowledgeable!

Description of Work
install new breakers

Work Completed On 07/11/2022

07/30/2021

Kolala V.

They didn't do a good job. Overpricing.

Description of Work
HVAC services

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 03/29/2021

We are sorry that you had a bad experience with whoever did your HVAC needs. We don't work the weekends just Monday-Friday and the work was performed on a Sunday, 3/28/2021. We don't have any record of doing HVAC at said address other than electrical back in 2020. Can you please remove this and review the correct company that did your work. Thank you!

06/28/2021

JEANNE C.

This is the third generator I've arranged to have installed by Dowdy - the first was at my house and the other two were at my children's houses. In each case, the work product was excellent and dealing with Bud and his team at Dowdy has been a pleasure.

Description of Work
Install whole house generator

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 06/17/2021

Thank You [Member Name Removed]for your wonderful comments! :)

01/27/2021

Jenny R.

Super quick! I called in the morning and they were here a few hours later. The technician was very knowledgeable and went the extra mile.

Description of Work
Rewired several outlets and installed microwave hood above range

Work Completed On 01/27/2021

12/27/2020

Sara G.

Wow - really disappointed. I've hired Dowdy to do work in my house on previous occasions but based on my recent experience with their technician, I would not consider them again. Our bathroom ceiling fan stopped working, so I called Dowdy for an estimate to replace it and vent it properly through the roof. Right now it just vents directly into the attic, which is not up to code. The technician who came to my house immediately started criticizing our attic venting (we have a ridge vent at the top of the roof plus soffit intake vents), saying it was unhealthy and inadequate because we don't have "turtle" vents. We worked with a professional roofing company in 2006 when we installed a new roof - including the ridge vent - so I was a little skeptical of his assessment (plus, he's an electrician, not a home inspector or attic ventilation specialist). Overall his attitude was condescending and arrogant. At one point he even suggested that we don't need to have a bathroom fan at all because the bathroom already has a window. While that may be accurate (per Indiana code), that doesn't solve the problem of the fan not working. I'm not going to open the window when it's 22 degrees outside and I need to take a shower. Then he argued that if we're generating steam when we take showers, we are spending too long in the shower (which is really none of his business). And he proceeded to tell me and my husband how he takes short "military" showers that don't create steam in the bathroom but that his wife takes too long in the shower. Finally he suggested venting the bathroom fan through the soffit vent, which according to the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors is not recommended as that can lead to mold and mildew problems in the attic (the soffits are for intake, not venting to the outside.) At one point he said you should "never" vent through the roof. I'm not an attic ventilation professional, but that advice goes against my research. Overall I got the sense he just didn't really want to do the extra work involved in venting the bathroom fan properly. It was a frustrating conversation and it didn't have to be that way.

Description of Work
Needed estimate to replace old bathroom ceiling fan

Category electrician, ceiling fans

Work Completed On 12/21/2020

11/20/2020

Stephen D.

the work was done professionally and quickly the technician noted some deficiencies in the 30+ year old electrical panel which I appreciated.

Description of Work
Repair the charging station for Tesla

Category appliance repair, electrician

Work Completed On 10/08/2020

09/25/2020

JOHN L.

It went as good as one could ever expect. He was very timely after the call. He was very personable and experienced.

Description of Work
We had to trouble shoot an electrical problem that was keeping some lights from coming on throughout the house. He was able to detect a loose wire and replace the switch.

Work Completed On 09/18/2020

08/12/2020

Mary P.

Changed breaker in circuit box and could not help with doorbell.

Description of Work
Front door bell

Category appliance repair, electrician

Work Completed On 08/12/2020

08/10/2020

Vince D.

Great at what they do.I most especially appreciated how in tune Dowdy was to my needs. The power line from the fuse panel to our pool pump went out due to less a less than professional installation (running it through a metal conduit underground,prior to my purchase of the house of course). With both the Skimmer and Filter dead, I was concerned with algae build up if not resolved ASAP and I was looking to get an electrician get this done within the next business day. Contacted several through Angie's List. Dowdy was the ONLY one that was answered my needs. Their man was at my house THAT afternoon (Friday) with a look at the work and a quote. Knowing the immediate need, and with my hiring of them later that afternoon, he was back here today (Monday) at 1pm and took care of me. Highly recommend your man David, he was with friendly, professional, answered all of my questions and he exceeded my expectations as well. Thank you!

Description of Work
Install/replace power to my Pool Pump Motor and Filter Systems

Work Completed On 08/10/2020

08/07/2020

Sandy M.

They were punctual but outrageously expensive! It cost 2 1/2 to 3 times what we have paid before. Will not hire them again because of their pricing.

Description of Work
Replacing a ceiling fan with light

Category ceiling fans

Work Completed On 07/28/2020

07/09/2020

David L.

Great! The young man was polite and professional.

Description of Work
dyer outlet repair

Category appliance repair

Work Completed On 07/09/2020

02/04/2020

Dan A.

Went great, done earlier than expected.

Description of Work
Mount a garage heater, run new 30 amp service for it

Work Completed On 02/03/2020

01/11/2020

Hector R.

Very professional and knowledgeable. The work was well done from a functional and aesthetic point of view.

Description of Work
I live in a condo. They installed a 240V 26A line from the basement of my building to my parking spot, so that I can car.

Work Completed On 01/07/2020

11/24/2019

Michael W.

They were fast, friendly, and accurate, also charged a lot. Replacing a basic light switch cost more than $300 for 15 minutes of work, even after my $10 discount. Their work achieved the goal, but I think I'll shop around to compare prices next time. Maybe I can replace my next switch for $200 instead!

Description of Work
Replace a light switch.

Work Completed On 11/19/2019

10/23/2019

Leah T.

They fixed the problem, but they're expensive.

Description of Work
Furnace repair

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac

Work Completed On 09/23/2019

09/18/2019

JUDY W.

So far we had not had any problems. We had an issue with carbon monoxide so we called them out to turn the generator off. They were not available initially but when we called them a second time explaining the emergency situation, they got someone right out. The person who turned the generator off, listened to our concerns and advised moving the generator to the end of the yard. That move would involve moving gas lines and he worked up an estimate for us. That was very expensive and he advised to us that was the only solution. We found out however that was not the only solution and we will no longer use dowdy electric.

Description of Work
We bought our generator from them and they service it every 6 months. We have had it for four years.

Work Completed On 09/02/2019

The issue has not been resolved. Still waiting on customer to call back. Bruce N. Dowdy/ President Celebrating 45 years in business .

06/01/2019

Mary Kay K.

Andrew was great! He worked fast and efficiently. He also hauled off my old fan. In addition, he gave me my 5% Angie's List discount plus the 5% senior citizen discount. I am very pleased with my new fan and with his work. I'd definitely recommend them.

Description of Work
I needed a ceiling fan removed and a new one put up.

Category electrician, ceiling fans

Cost $315.9

Work Completed On 05/30/2019

02/08/2019

Elizabeth M.

Quick to arrive and get the job done.

Description of Work
Disconnect fire detector from hard wire circuit

Work Completed On 02/08/2019

11/07/2018

NANCY E.

Everything went without a hitch. Tony completed each chore without a problem or a complaint. He he also willingly checked out another problem that I'm having with my garage wiring and gave me his diagnosis. Tony is efficient, knowledgeable and kind. I am very pleased that everything is working again! Thank you, Tony and Dowdy Electric!

Description of Work
Repaired outdoor pole light, replaced GFI receptacle, and replaced 2 outdoor garage lights.

Work Completed On 11/02/2018

09/21/2018

sandy C.

On time did nice job and cleaned up after

Description of Work
Converting a can light to add a chandlier and installed dimmer switch

Work Completed On 09/21/2018

04/02/2018

LINDA M.

I had to wait several weeks after my free estimate for the work to begin...seems they have more work than they have electricians. I was impressed that they did NOT encourage me to do more than what I asked. I have aluminum wiring and they did not recommend that it be rewired or pig-tailed unless I have problems.

Description of Work
installed 5 can lights (575.00), replaced ceiling light (66.16), installed 3 digital timers on outdoor lights...I provided timers (48.50), added 2 outdoor weather protected outlets (560.00).

Work Completed On 04/02/2018

01/09/2018

Holly M.

Very professional, on time quote and installation. Very easy to work with. Installation was flawless!

Description of Work
Generator and 2 surge arresters installation

Category generator service