FLOORS ON FIRST

Founded 1996 • With Angi since December 2005

840 First St

Benicia, CA 94510

4 employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. Travel charges may apply. License #: 359346....

09/30/2019

Natasha N.

Amazing job , beautiful and professional and they were nice and easy to work with

Description of Work
Vinyl plank

11/18/2014

Oliver I.

Bob came out, was nice, gave a bid. Afterwards we had a hard time getting them to schedule, apparently they were overbooked. Then we got a call, could they come out tomorrow? Work was done in two days, and is mostly very nice, with the exception of some badly cut and placed T-molding. The problems came afterwards. The Angie's List posting clearly says, "No subs," but when I tried to give his workers a check made out to Floors on First, I encountered a certain amount of confusion. Bob then called and said that he HAD subbed out the job and that he wanted us to make the check out to the workers, although he said we could really make it to him or his business as well, but he didn't really want that. It was pretty confusing. We considered this but as we had hired Bob, not his subs, with the expectation that if something went wrong we could turn to him, and not to subs whose addresses, phone numbers, and license numbers, if any, we did not have, we sent a check made out to Floors on First. My wife got a rude and aggressive phone call from Bob demanding that we swap out his check. He complained that he doesn't make any profit on these jobs where he doesn't sell the flooring, and now he has to pay taxes on it. If we wanted to have a job done with no guarantees, we could have used a skilled day laborer instead rather than paying $2300 to someone who presents himself as the service provider and then turns the table on you afterwards for his personal tax reasons. He is not someone we would choose to do business with again.

Description of Work
Installed our separately purchased bamboo flooring on a concrete slab in two rooms.

10/18/2014

Janice H.

He didn't want to come out. He didn't want to work with me.. he was just unresponsive, and incorporative.

Category woodworking

10/06/2014

Marilyn C.

Floors on first replaced all the floors in the house except the bathrooms. I have a house on a slab with built in cabinets which did not allow building a sub-floor. Bob worked with me to find the right flooring for our house. I have cats that occasionally mark their territory, so I required a floor that is easy to keep clean. Bob found me a floor that is waterproof, but not tile. The floor is a laminate "light wood floor" that looks perfect with both the cherry kitchen cabinets and the black walnut furniture in the rest of the house. The installers were very skilled, professional and pleasant to have in the house for week of installation. I love the new floor. I feel like I have a new house. I am waiting for some couple finishing details, I will give an update when those are completed. To date Floors First has been very responsive though a bit delayed because they are a small popular local company. I highly recommend Floors on First. I would love to attach photos, but don't see that option.

Description of Work
Replaced the floors in my throughout house.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

06/10/2014

Atsede A.

Left a message but no one called me back.

Description of Work
Left a message but no one called me back.

04/17/2014

Jeffrey S.

I tend to like local companies. I compared them with lows and other places in which he matched the prices of any place that I gave him. He also did a spectacular job.

Description of Work
He put in wood floors

11/18/2013

RICHARD F.

The crew of 3 did excellent work. They were very professional, hard working, and did a superb job with the work. We were very happy from beginning to end. They stayed until every last detail we wanted was attended to. The only minor issue we had is that our driveway had a lot of small carpet tufts left on it. (The workers did the cutting on the driveway). Not a major issue, but I had to sweep it up. But given the superb work performed, we would use Floors on First again anytime.

Description of Work
Removed carpet from six rooms, a hallway, and stairs. Replaced with a high-end premium carpet (thus accounting for the cost of the job). Removed vinyl from 3 bathrooms and replaced with a higher-grade vinyl. Removed existing baseboards and replaced with nicer, taller ones in all areas where flooring was replaced.

08/20/2013

Philip S.

I had contractors come out and they tore up the bathrooom but had not completed the work for 2 months so I decided to hire someone else to complete the job. I called Floors on First and they came out the very next day on an emergency he basis, he told me that he had other jobs but would work me in and had the job completed in two days. They were very professional and I would highly recommend this company.

Description of Work
They came out and tiled the bathroom floor, they also connected me with a plumber that could do some work on our vanity fixtures.

Category ceramic tile

03/11/2013

Marjorie R.

We found! Floors On First on Angie's List. Bob came to our house and talked to us. He gave us an estimate. He was very helpful ! He helped us make our decision. we put in Inhaus laminate,Haywood Hickory on the whole bottom floor of of our house. We put in new baseboards. Upstairs we put in carpet by Dixie Home Style 4495 Chiriahua. We are very happy! It looks great! We would highly recommend Floors On First ! Bob & Hillary are very professional ! Thank you so much to the whole Floors On First Team !

Description of Work
We had carpet and pad installed upstairs (3 bedrooms) and stairs. Old carpet & pad removed. We had laminate installed downstairs. Living room, Dinning room, Entry, Office, Family room, Kitchen, Hall, Bathroom & Laundry room. A very large area. Old carpet, pad, tile,& linoleum was removed.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Thank you for the fantastic opportunity to install flooring in your home! It was a pleasure working with you. We appreciate any feedback we receive in order to help us serve you better. Warmest regards, Floors on First

03/03/2013

Jacqueline M.

I was disappointed with the service and quality overall. I had read good reviews about this company on Yelp which is why I chose them. Owner Bob was friendly and helpful in the beginning--he seemed to be very experienced and steered me towards products that met my quality and budget requirements. I was also happy that installation included moving of furniture without any restrictions. Having carpet replaced in your home is a lot like moving as it is so disruptive and Bob didn't seem very sensitive to that. We had trouble scheduling the job because he was so busy at the time. We were on a deadline to sell our house and we had some flexibilty but he wanted us to wait from November to January! We managed to book a December installation for the carpet and my husband and I were very ill at the scheduled install day so I requested to reschedule. Again, Bob seemed agitated and complained of being very busy, but I pushed for a December date. The morning of the install, Bob's daughter called me because she noticed that our job did not include installation of new baseboards and did we want that. I was surprised because I had thought that new baseboards were included and I was obviously unhappy to be finding this out five weeks after the sale! Why, in heavens name, would you not discuss baseboards with a client who is replacing OLD (25 yrs) carpeting?? I thought that I had specifically asked for that. I was willing to consider it a misunderstanding but Bob was unable to work with me towards a solution. He became defensive and agitated, claiming that he was too busy to get baseboards prepped and ready, his wife has been spending every weekend painting baseboards, blah, blah, blah. I asked if it would be a problem to continue with carpet installation now and do baseboards at a later date and Bob said that that approach would not pose an installation problem. Meanwhile, the crew had shown up at my house and were concerned about not having baseboard because they would not be able to stretch the carpet the way that is needed. Thank God, the crew foreman, Alex, quickly worked with my husband to come up with a solution to keep the job going. He offered to install baseboards if we went out to purchase them right away. Now picture this: I am at work 20 min. away and my husband doesn't have a driver's license. He had to drive his truck to Home Depot where I met him. We purchased pre-primed baseboard, loaded it up in the truck and I drove the truck and he drove my car back to the house. The crew stayed late and got everything installed. I got in trouble for ditching work to take care of the emergency at home. Now imaging how happy I was with Floors on First... There was a transition on the stairs that did not get rolled properly--it looks funny. And the pad thickness seems inconsistent. The vinyl flooring was installed fine but the product is very soft and we've already torn it by moving the refrigerator back in place. It really wasn't a good solution for the kitchen. We also noticed some significant damage to one of our pieces of furniture that was moved (they stuffed EVERYTHING) in one closet). We arranged for Bob to come look at it (it took almost two weeks for him to respond to us--he was "busy") and he did not show up when promised (excuse? "Busy"), but showed up on another night unannounced. He brought his bad attitude with him and never inquired as to whether we were able to get our baseboard problem resolved. He agreed to discount our bill for the damage, then stormed out in a huff, although we had been polite and professional in negotiating with him. He showed up later (unannounced yet again) to collect on the bill. Even if the quality were outstanding, Bob's consummate unprofessionalism turned me off completely from ever recommending his service.

Description of Work
Replaced carpeting in bedroom and stairs, replaced kitchen vinyl flooring. Included demo and removal of old carpet and flooring.

Category carpet installation, flooring contractor

Floors on First would like to extend our deepest apologies to the customer for any dissatisfaction she experienced. In our efforts to accommodate and satisfy our many customers, especially during those busy times of the year, we admittedly sometimes fall short. Here at Floors on First, a family owned and operated business, we take pride in our work and value our customers; any customer less than 100% satisfied with their finished product concerns us. We review each and every review given, both good and bad, and use these as tools to improve our work in the future. Thank you for the feedback. As Floors on First enters its 17th successful year in business we would like to thank all of our customers for helping to make this possible. Warmest regards, Floors on First.

02/04/2013

Anthony M.

I have been using their services for the past 15 years. The owner's name is Bob. I would mark them all as excellent. They have a large collection of things to choose like a showroom. You get a lot of options to choose from. The installation crew I've worked with have been excellent. Bob keeps a check with the project. He comes by and checks the work in progress. They follow up very well. They make sure everything is going according to plan.

Description of Work
Floors On First Company have done carpeting, tile flooring and hardwood flooring work for me. The last time I've used them was when they installed a new carpet in my house.

Category carpet installation, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

12/03/2012

Mary M.

They did an excellent job. They came in and went straight to work without any distraction. They were strictly business and the work showed it. They were punctual, professional, and efficient. I would use them again as needed and would recommend them to others.

Description of Work
I had a leak underneath my refrigerator. They came out to come to rip off the old flooring and replaced it with new flooring.

07/12/2012

Mike M.

I hate refrigerator icemakers. Always causing problems.In our case, the icemaker had a leaky valve that caused water damage to our tile floored kitchen, and spread under the built-in cabinets to the carpet in the dining area. We called Bob to come out and take a look, he gave us an estimate and we went down to his showroom to pick out replacement tile and carpet. Pretty easy. When it came time to install the tiles, his crew showed up on time, but after they removed the damaged tiles - they discovered significant water damage to the underlying plywood (the sheet that sits on the joists.) Rather than just plow ahead, Bob called me and told me what the problem was and how to fix it. Once I started digging into the problem, I realized that we needed to remove the cabinets to get at the plywood under them (so I could dry it out, and apply anti-fungal.) He recommended a general contractor; I called him and he helped remove the cabinets for a reasonable price. Once we had the plywood dried out and the antifungal applied/ dried, Bob came back out with his crew to do the tile replacement. They also replaced the kickboard with material that matched our cabinets better than the original. Once that was done, we were ready to deal with the adjoining carpet. Started ripping that out and - of course - more water damage that needed to be fixed. Bob's crew did as much as they could, came back with replacement particleboard to repair the additional damage, and then got to work on the carpet. The finished product looks great. The crew was very polite and stayed late to make sure the job was done professionally. I could tell by watching them that they took pride in getting the carpet installed correctly. The lead installer had the carpet all laid and tacked in place, then went back a few times to get it stretched to his satisfaction (I couldn't tell the difference.) Given this experience, we're going to have Bob replace the rest of the carpeting in our house. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Remove old damaged tile floor, repair damage, install new hardibacker and new tiles, grout and seal. Approximate size of the kitchen was 100 square feet. This was done for $1,700. Remove old damaged carpet and pad, repair damaged particleboard, install new 1/2" 8lb pad and American Carpet brand Windsor Heights carpet. Approximate size of carpeted area was 378 sq. feet. This was done for $1,300, which included moving furniture (except electronics) and replacing it at the end. They also vacuumed the new carpet to pick up the little bits and pieces left over when they were trimming.

Category carpet installation, ceramic tile, flooring contractor, hardwood floor

06/25/2012

Jim B.

I asked Bob to come to the house with samples and I selected flooring based on what he brought. I accepted his bid without getting additional bids because of the excellent Angie's List reviews of his company. Laminate was in stock and was installed about a week after the bid. Bob came out with his installation crew to introduce them to me and to describe the job to them. This phase of the project took two days. A few days later he came with a different crew to install the carpet which took a day. What I hadn't considered was baseboard and Bob selected and in some cases stained it himself (perfect match). I hadn't planned on new baseboards in the carpeted rooms but the other rooms looked so nice that I asked that these rooms also receive new baseboards and this job was done a few days later. I don't have very much furniture but the installers moved and replaced it as they worked. I was particularly impressed with their thoughtfulness and attention to detail. For example, the laminate installers checked the bottom of the furniture to see if it had pads to protect the surface of the flooring and if not they added pads. The carpet, laminate and baseboards look great and the house looks like brand new.

Description of Work
Installed laminate in three rooms and carpet in three other rooms. New baseboard was installed in all rooms. Old flooring was taken away, Furniture was moved and replaced. Clean up after work was done was very thorough.

06/18/2012

Tim M.

Installation was completed as promised. Tile installation took 2 days, carpet was completed in one day. Toilets and pedestal sink were removed and replaced for tile installation (pedestal sink required new angle stops and supply lines due to raise in floor height. This was not provided by Floors on First, but it was not expected of them). Bathroom baseboards were all replaced after tile installation. Carpet installation went as expected. Large furniture items were moved and replaced by the installers. All of my upstairs doors need to be cut due to higher pile on the new carpet. 2 doors couldn't even be re-hung after the installation. Floors on First does not cut doors, as their contract will state. Overall, everything looks great.

Description of Work
Whole house carpet installation, porcelain tile in 3 bathrooms. Remove existing carpet and linoleum. Install concrete backer board in bathrooms for tile. Replace baseboards in bathrooms.

06/12/2012

kathy B.

The overall job was great, we love the floor and how it turned out.

Description of Work
We wanted are small bathing floor tore out and replaced, I had seen Floors on First on Angies List, so I called he came out really quickly, we went to the store and picked out the tile. He ordered it, but there was a change we had too wait, he came and showed the men how he wanted it there was a problem with the sub floor, they fixed it and he did not charge us any more money for it which I thought was really good, it was a mess to get out. I want to thank him and the crew for the floor I loved it, and I would use them again.

02/08/2012

Valerie F.

It was great. There were delays due to problems with getting materials (not Bob's fault--supplier's problem), but Bob was very pleasant to deal with, and the quality of the work done was worth it.

Description of Work
Bob was great to work with. Very professional; kept us informed of work/materials status. Carlos and Andres (the installers) were great, too--did beautiful work. We would definitely use Floors on First again and do recommend them.

07/24/2011

Tim B.

I had been shopping around to find someone to do my floors. After a couple of estimates I went to Angie's list and found Floors on First and called. Bob got back to me right away, we scheduled an appointment and he came out with a reasonable estimate and I scheduled the work. They took care of everything while I was out of state and it looked great when I returned home.

Description of Work
I had my family room rug with tile underneath and my kitchen floor linoleum replaced and wood laminate put in. Bob and his crew were great. They were prompt and professional.

02/24/2011

ROGER V.

We contacted Bob do provided an estimate. Without telling him we had other bids, he gave us his best pricing and it beat out Empire today. Once we agreed on the product, Bob had his people in the house immediately and they installed the laminate in 1 day and added the finishing touches the next day! Great Job! Very satisfied with the finish product! I highly recommend him.

Description of Work
installed laminate flooring, and baseboards.

11/18/2010

Sarita M.

The company came out to do an estimate and arrived on time. He was very professional and informative regarding the services they could and could not provide. He promised to follow up with an estimate which I never received.

Description of Work
My rating is based on their responsiveness only as I did not use their services.

11/16/2010

Jano O.

We live in Oakland. We called and asked for a quote and they came all of the way from Benicia. The owner, Bob Totherow, arrived very promptly and was polite, friendly and very knowledgeable explaining all of our options for our kitchen floor. Out of 4 quotes (all from Angie's list) his was the second lowest. Several times between the initial quote and the actual installation, I called Bob and asked his advice about the size of the tiles and the color of the grout and he again offered us good advice. Steve, the installer and his assistant Carlos, were again, very polite, friendly and more importantly highly skilled. We ordered tiles that have variations of colors in each tile. After the installation was completed, I noticed that two tiles had significantly different colors from my point of view. Steve and Carlos had no problem in immediately taking the two tiles out and replacing them. I noticed that they are really into their work and want to do the best job that they can. I would recommend this company to anyone that wants a quality job at a good price.

Description of Work
They put ceramic tile on our kitchen floor.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor

05/10/2010

craig B.

They are very professional and did a great job. They refloored three rooms along with travertine tiles. They were recommended by a neighbor. They were satisfied and we took their recommendation. .

Description of Work
We used Floors on First to install ceramic and travertine tiles.

Category ceramic tile, flooring contractor

04/01/2010

Denise C.

I?m tired of my carpet and I would like hardwood floors. He did an estimate but he didn?t give me a written estimate. The estimate was verbal so I couldn?t even see what the square footage was on the first floor.

Description of Work
Floors on First gave me a quote to tear up my carpeting and putting down hardwood floors on the first story of my house.

03/10/2010

Tomi M.

Everything was fine and they were very responsive.

Description of Work
Floors on First gave us an estimate for vinyl flooring.

04/29/2009

Alex I.

We arrived at Floors on First to find a huge selection of floors to pick from. We had some ideas for what we wanted and Bob was very patient with us. He let us take floor samples home so that we can see what it would look like in our house. We went back a couple of times to ask additional questions. We decided to select him as our contractor based on his experience, knowledge, and professionalism in explaining the virtues of each type of floor (hardwood versus engineered). The workers arrived promptly at 8:00am and were meticulous in how they did their job. Every day, they cleaned up after themselves and we didn't feel like we were living in a construction zone. The floor turned out looking beautiful. As professional looking as the floor was when it was installed, I was particularly impressed with the care in which they installed the hardwood on our stairs. The stairs turned out looking even better than I expected! Bob came by several times during the week to check in on the installers and make sure that we were happy with the quality of the work. My wife and I would definitely use them again for future work.

Description of Work
We had hardwood floors installed in our living, dining, family room, as well as a hallway and closet. We also had hardwood installed on the stairs and 2nd floor landing. In addition to removing the carpet, they needed to remove the old hardwood floor in our family room.