It’s not uncommon for contractors to request a portion of their fee as a deposit before they begin working on a home improvement project. This guide explains how much you should give your contractor after you sign your contract.
Get matched with top handyman services in Athens, OH
There are 5 highly-rated local handyman services.
Recent Handyman Reviews in Athens
- Back Pocket FundGreat he’s amazing so nice Professional very particular wonderful job very pleasant I would hire him again
- Moser Home Improvement and RepairExcellent! Mr Moser did a GREAT job! He gave me advice regarding my kitchen and did exactly what I wanted done!! He cleaned up each day! Highly recommend his work!!
- Moser Home Improvement and RepairGreat job! Easy to work with. Great attention to detail. Very knowledgeable and provided helpful input to create the bathroom we had envisioned.
- Mahan Design & RemodelExcellent! We found Mahan Property Maintenance through Angie's list and recommendation from a friend We needed major work done because of trees falling on our home. They had to tear off an addition and completely rebuild and finish the interior with electrical, drywall, flooring painting. We also had a new metal roof, siding and revamped our front porch with new materials. They were a delight to have around. Jay and his team were prompt and courteous, but most of all they were respectful of our wishes and our home. The project turned out better than we could have imagined. The quote we received was reasonable for the amount of work they had to do. And when lumber prices doubled, he absorbed the cost, We did not. We will definitely hire Jay and his team for future projects. They gave us the best Christmas present!!! THANK YOU to Jay and tea read less
- Mahan Design & RemodelWe called Jay panicked due to our carpet being ruined due to a leak in our new house. He knew we were under a time crunch and needed ASAP. Jay and his crew tore out all of the carpet and pad in our dining room and living room and installed new flooring. While he was here, I told him I wasn’t a fan of the existing trim in those rooms. It would not match my new flooring. He took out the trim and put in a more classier trim that they painted for me. While on the job, my husband complained of a door that he didn’t care for in our hallway entryway and the narrowness of the entryway. Jay took out the door and made the entryway bigger for us which we absolutely love. My husband also told him about the small fruit tree in the front that was attracting ants and some neglected bushes that were out of co trim and needed to be removed. The next to last day of scheduled job, Jay showed up with trailer and equipment to remove tree and bushes for my husband. Him and his crew not only fixed our floors, but all of the add one we gave him during the process. We were more than comfortable leaving Jay and his crew alone at our house if necessary. Would definitely recommend Jay and hire him again if we needed anything done in the future read less
- Complete Home ServicesDonaven had the building completely removed very quickly, including the cleanup. He arrived at our scheduled time, was very professional, and kept me informed every step of the way. Will definitely hire again!
- Moving Ahead Services LLCGreat! They did everything we asked. Very polite and professional. Nothing was broken. With COVID, it was a challenge at the facility in TN but everything worked out fine.
- PJO Properties, LLCIt went very smooth they where very professional showed up on time they they cleaned up everything before they left the job everyday I would hire them for any job that I needed done
- CB Tree CareCB Tree Care is a great and professional way to get any tree service that you need, done right. Free estimates, great prices, and real quality work. I had a pine tree that needed removed, and Chris (the owner) came out and got it taken care of in no time. He did a fantastic job and was very professional with his work. I highly recommend CB Tree Care to anyone, you won’t be disappointed read less
- Wood CreationsThe workmanship of the large decorative “B” we had created for our home was excellent! It was finished in a timely manner and very reasonably priced too! We’ll definitely order future items from them!
Handymen in Athens
- Business Description:Elite Handyman Plus is a repair and maintenance company. Our focus is on residential and light commercial projects ranging from 2 hours to 5 days in length. We offer a wide range of services to cover all of your needs. Licensed and insured we are ready to get your project done in a professional and expedient manner. We will work around your schedule to get your project done on time and on budget. Willing to travel up to 50 miles. We look forward to being your handyman so you can get back to d.. read lessRecent Review:Did a great job very happy with the work.Lisa H.
- Business Description:Family owned company. I will service you, as if you were family. All of our products are SAFE for pets, and humans, including young children. We work with our customers to ensure 100% satisfaction. We take the time to be certain the job is done right. We are thorough with our work. We specialize in general, preventive control cockroaches and bed bugs. read lessRecent Review:Roger was very communicative and easy to work with. Highly recommend.John P.
- Business Description:In-Person or Live One-On-One Online Tutoring for Any Subject, Any Age, Any Location. Standardized Tests: ACT, SAT, NMSQT, GMAT, GRE, ASVAB, ASTB, ISEE, HSPT, TEAS, TOEFL, IELTS, TOEIC Mathematics: algebra, geometry, trigonometry, pre-algebra, elementary English: grammar, vocabulary, spelling, reading, writing, listening, speaking, pronunciation, ESL, ESOL Research Papers: editing, proofreading, outlining, citations Computer: Excel, Word, PowerPoin read less
- Business Description:We are a family/friend owned business specializing in Radon testing and mitigation. Eric is a Veteran having served in the U.S. Navy and Blake is currently a Marysville fireman so we're not afraid to go the extra mile to make sure you're completely happy from start to finish. We are quick and precise and treat your home as if it were ours. You can expect professionalism and a lot of courtesy from start to finish. Let us help you with your Radon Gas issues read less
- Business Description:United Freight of America is your all inclusive transport solution. CONTACT US FOR A QUOTE. please include pick up and Drop off locations and vehicle informationRecent Review:Have been calling few other companies, the information was kind of confusing, when speaking with the gentleman from UFA, he explained the process thoroughly and with options on cost. We chose to pay more, it worth! All went well as scheduled, the driver was very careful when uploading the car onto the truck. Thank you read lessWinnie L.
- Business Description:Surface Link specializes in repairing, restoring and modifying countertops and upgrading or replacing sinks, in commercial and residential settings, all over the United States and Canada. Replacing a countertop can be costly and timely — Surface Link offers a low cost alternative to restore your countertop to like-new condition in less than a day. Why choose Surface Link over another company? At Surface Link, we focus exclusively on repairing countertops (Corian, Granite, Quartz and Solid Sur.. read less
- Business Description:Classic Copper Works uses time honored German copper smith techniques handed down from father to son and passed on to our highly skilled artisans. We specialize in the fabrication of custom copper & bronze products and other metal specialties. WE DO NOT OFFER REPAIR SERVICES OF ANY KIND. Additional phone number - (888) 908-5339 read less
- Business Description:Trust your move to the experts! Award winning moving services, fully licensed and insured. Local and long distance, home and office, storage and beyond. A+ Rated Angie's List Super Service Award Winning Movers. We are accredited with the Ohio BBB and Super Service Award winners for Angie's list 2009-2018. Family owned & operated business, Veteran founded and owned. WE HANDLE ALL YOUR MOVING NEEDS. We also provide professional packing services and supplies, housecleaning services, storage, jun.. read lessRecent Review:Finding a mover in June was not an easy task, so we settled. Huge mistake on our part. The contract says they are not liable for any damage and trust me, they take full advantage of that. We have scrapes on our wood furniture, metal items were bent, two furniture pieces had to be discarded due to damage. New landlord said the back door was bent that they removed to bring washer and dryer in. Boxes were labeled and labels were ignored. Constant complaining about how heavy things were. Two different guys claimed to be in charge. We called in advance and we were advised to leave items in drawers. Second man who claimed to be in charge said all drawers should have been emptied. First man corrected him. It took 3 men over 10 hours to move our 1 bedroom 2-story condo 7.1 miles to a ranch with a basement. (It too the prior 3 men moving team less than half that time) They charge by the hour. They were not even capable of putting the truck in our driveway (about 100 feet and straight) which would easily have accommodated their truck, but instead parked it on the street and walked up and down the driveway. Most of our belongings were storage totes and boxes. The heaviest item was our treadmill. We had no large kitchen appliances. I watched as they moved in slow motion unloading our belongings. One even asked a neighbor in our new neighborhood for a cigarette. Highly unprofessional, extremely overpriced, very slow and careless. I would prefer to give zero stars as they do not deserve one read lessValerie C.
- Business Description:Our mission is to be a provider that brings back the personal touch with our customers. We will build a relationship that will last a lifetime after you see our quality work. As a locally owned and operated business we feel invested in our clients and constantly strive for customer satisfaction. We won't leave until the job is done right! Call or click to schedule an estimate today read lessRecent Review:8/16/21: Initial contact at 2:44am. Discussion began via text, switching to voice call due to Mr. McCarty driving enroute to his primary employment’s job site in Fort Wayne. He stated intention to conduct initial in person visit about 6:00am but missed the appointment due to an alleged detour. I remained in casual conversation throughout the day, informing him of my own time home from work. He informed me that he had arranged another project with another client and reaffirmed that he would visit after its completion. He failed to arrive again. 8/17/21: I inquired again as to the status of an in-person meeting. I received a message that he was on his way at 7:16pm. Mr. McCarty arrived late, performed his inspection, and quoted the project for $800. After some discussion, we agreed on the price, with the additional request for half of the total before work for materials, and the remaining half on completion of the project. He left later that night. 8/18/21: We communicated via text about topics unrelated to the project, but he did not return this day. Mr. McCarty informed me of planning to discuss material acquisition the following day. 8/19/21: I was contacted at 11:06am, as Mr. McCarty inquired about the viability of starting the project. I informed him that I had a prior appointment to collect my vehicle after servicing about 4:00pm, but afterwards it would be available. It was at this time he requested the pre-project funds, to which I agreed. He stated he needed to collect the up-front cost earlier, informing me that he expected to arrive by 2:00pm and could provide transportation to acquire the funds in cash. He arrived at 2:57pm and he drove me to my bank. I was alarmed that when I traveled with him, he possessed and partook on an alcoholic beverage while driving. Returning me home, he received $400 of the total $800 cost, and we signed a carbon copy receipt for the payment. At this point my fiancé arrived to provide transportation to the auto service appointment. Upon returning home, I discovered that Mr. McCarty had departed back home to Ohio, and on calling him by phone he stated that we would return the following day. 8/20/21: Mr. McCarty reached out to inform me of an employment interview as a reason why he could not return on this day. We maintained casual contact throughout the day. 8/21/21: At 7:12am I reached out via text on whether he would be able to begin work. I received a response at 11:48am that he planned to arrive at 4:00pm. At 2:10pm, Mr. McCarty informed me that his expected arrival was in three (3) hours, requesting I meet him at a nearby Menard’s store to pick out flooring material, as well as collect the remaining materials. At 4:17pm I requested an update on location, he affirmed that he was an hour out yet at 4:34pm. I responded that I would depart about 5:15pm to arrive about 5:30pm. Failing to locate him upon my arrival at 5:33pm, I went inside to begin looking at flooring options, texting to inform him of this. He responds at 5:42pm, estimating another 20 minutes to arrival. I received another status update at 6:14pm that he would be a few more minutes. He arrived at 6:32pm, meeting me in the store about 6:40pm in the flooring department. I had, in the interim, requested my fiancé to conduct another errand on my behalf, a grocery pickup scheduled between 6:00-7:00pm. After about an hour to collect the assorted materials, I confirmed that the flooring I had selected, and the additional materials were within the expected $400 he had received. He stated that the tile I had chosen was above what he had budgeted, requesting an additional $100 in material costs. We negotiated that I purchase the tile myself, and he retained the original materials cost. Returning home, he began on the project for the rest of the evening. He removed the existing flooring from the entire project area during this time. About midnight, he inquired about overnight accommodations, to which my fiancé and I asserted that we would be more comfortable with him finding off-site lodgings. At this point he requested the first $100 advance on the remaining balance for lodging costs and inquired to resume work between 7:00am-8:00am the following day. I gave him the advance with another signed receipt. My fiancé agreed to be awake and present to receive him at that time, and he left for the night. 8/22/21: I woke at about 9:45am, and after talking with my fiancé discovered that Mr. McCarty had yet to arrive. I attempted to call him, but he did not answer. His voicemail box was full. At 9:53am, I texted him on his status, receiving a reply at 9:57am that he was enroute. At 10:57am, he had yet to arrive, so I reached out again, receiving the answer that he was delayed by a train. He arrived at 11:15am, beginning work on the project. I had requested a friend to attend the home for the duration of a shift I was scheduled (12pm-5pm). As Mr. McCarty arrived and I was leaving for the shift, Mr. McCarty informed me that he had to leave for another client’s project at 2:30pm and would return to our project upon that one’s completion. He returned to my home around 3:30pm. I returned home from my shift at about 5:35pm. Upon arriving home, the friend that I had arranged to attend the home pulled me aside to inform me that cigarettes were missing from the guest I had over since 8/21. Checking with my guest, I discussed the absent cigarettes, and he stated he was keeping track of how many were left. Both informed me that they witnessed him partaking of at least one (1) alcoholic beverage during my shift. Mr. McCarty continues work until 6:00pm, completing the sub-flooring installation, at which point it is recognized that we had forgotten one of the materials (wax ring) to restore the toilet to service. He requests the second $100 dollar advance to go retrieve the part, as well as having funds to return to his home later that night. I acquiesced, granting the advance with another signed receipt, and he departed to retrieve the part. One and a half (1.5) hours later, he returned, completing the reassembly of the toilet, and applying less than a quarter of the total area's tiling. Just prior to 8:00pm, Mr. McCarty states that he is going to head home, and that he would not be able to return to resume work until 8/28/21. After he leaves, my guest informs me that on inspection, he was missing another 4 cigarettes. 8/23/21: At the instruction of Angie’s List following my initial complaint, I confronted Mr. McCarty via text about my dissatisfaction about the state of the project’s progress, his alcohol use during project work, and the missing cigarettes. He became defensively aggressive and insistent that he had given us a very good deal on the pricing, and that this sort of project takes more time than most believe it does. He also protested that he’d only had two (2) beers and did not address the missing cigarettes at all. The exchange concludes with him stating his intent to arrive on 8/28, possibly sooner on 8/27 to complete the job. Upon my return home from work on 8/23, I informed my fiancé that I had confronted Mr. McCarty about the missing cigarettes, the poor attendance, poor workmanship, his drinking on the job, and how he handled my complaints as a client. I had already experienced several panic attacks throughout the last few days’ exchanges with Mr. McCarty regarding his overall poor professionalism and workmanship. I handed my fiancé my cell phone so that he could read the text conversations between Mr. McCarty and I from start to finish, both the professional and casual conversations. I expressed my concern that we had already lost $600 of the $800 owed to Mr. McCarty with little to show for our investment in his skills. It was at this time that I expressed that I did not trust this man to come back to our home and that I wanted to fire Mr. McCarty. My fiancé supported my decision for the termination of Mr. McCarty’s services. We are however concerned that we had just enough to pay one (1) contractor the money to perform the repairs. We are now out $600, with very little in the way of successful quality repairs completed to show for our investment in Mr. McCarty’s services read lessRebbeca A.
- Business Description:Alford Home Solutions has been dedicated to providing quality work on homes and businesses throughout West Virginia since 1963. Originally a pest control company, we have since expanded our services and our service area, which now includes the Tri-State Area area, with home solutions also available in Kentucky and Ohio. We specialize in Foundation Repair, Concrete Repair, Waterproofing, Pest Control, Crawl Space Encapsulation, Basement Finishing, Bath Remodeling, and Patio Structures. Additio.. read lessRecent Review:I did not consider for deck job as we had work done by them previously. First of all, they contract out the work without telling you. The did a good job on the foundation. The work that was required after the foundation, such as the yard, was terrible. They would not take responsibility for shoddy work, said they did all they could do and would not return any further calls read lesstina w.
Explore our Solution Center for helpful handyman service articles
Are you shopping for a shower door that fits best in your bathroom? Before you get your heart set on a high-end frameless bathroom door, you need to know a few details. Read on to learn about the differences in cost, function, and appearance.
Fall is a perfect time to take care of all of your home’s routine home maintenance needs, including small tasks that could become big issues. This detailed checklist will break down exactly what you should be doing as the temperatures begin to drop.
Find handyman services in
- The Plains
- New Plymouth
- Little Hocking
- New Straitsville
- New Haven
handyman services in Athens
Companies below are listed in alphabetical order.
To view top rated service providers along with reviews & ratings, Join Angi now!
- 740elite Contracting
- 740elite Contracting
- Accurate Heating & Cooling3001 River Rd
- AJR Painting7849 Ninevah Rd
- Alford Home Solutions Inc6316 Maccorkle Ave SW
Saint Albans, West Virginia
- ALL AMERICAN ELECTRIC OF OHIO LLC63 WEST 2ND ST
- American Clean & Seal Inc4469 Bragdon St
- Athens Lawn & Gardening Inc8156 Salem Rd
- Auto Transport - United Freight Of America1844 N Nob Hill Rd #171
- Accurate Heating & Cooling
- BALDWIN CONSTRUCTION19334 STATE ROUTE 327
- BCM Construction L.L.C.351 N Sandusky st
- Bent Tree Woodworking34897 Vickers Rd.
- Big Beasleys LLC
- Blue Ridge Builders604 Schaum Ave.
- Bobcat Excavating & Construction Inc13450 Liars Corner Rd
- Bolin BuildersPO Box 76 34550 jr ward rd
- Bradys Contructions & home Improvements1254 McClure St
- BALDWIN CONSTRUCTION
- Erie Construction Midwest Inc4271 Monroe St
- Erie Construction Midwest Inc
- J D Darling Masonry & Construction6490 St Rt 97
- J&J Contracting330 Water St
- J&K Contracting5253 Washington Rd
- JH Fencing144 Burkhart Ave
Russells Point, Ohio
- Johnson Construction124 N 12th St
- Jones Contracting & Construction4086 Loys Run Rd
- Josh Carpenter: Custom Designs and Services38195 Price Road
- J D Darling Masonry & Construction
- M & T Builders114 peacock ave
- Malone Renovations IncPO Box 583
- Matthew Horwich LLC14 Bristol Lane
Rocky River, Ohio
- mike and johns remodeling2262 fillmans bottom rd sw
Port Washington, Ohio
- Miller's Handyman Service & More, LLC25312 Watson Road
- Momba's Handywork189 Fayette St
- MOMPER INSULATION2431 W MAIN ST
Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Moving Ahead Services LLC3883 Business Park Dr
- Mr. Fixit210 Ohio Ave
Oak Hill, Ohio
- M & T Builders
- Natola Construction LLC
- Natola Construction LLC
- OKIE ADKINS CONSTRUCTION3633 NORWOOD RD.
Huntington, West Virginia
- OKIE ADKINS CONSTRUCTION
- S & P Home Improvement8252 depot st.
New Marshfield, Ohio
- Sandercourt Mechanical15 Blick Ave
- schreck s handyman svc477 Grand St
- Seamless Restoration5345 N Winthrop Ave A2
- Spears Repair1432 Wheeling Ave
- Spechtacular LLC1470 State Route 56
New Marshfield, Ohio
- Superior Remodeling8347 Fryer Rd.
- Surface Link4200 Lafayette Center Drive Suite R
- S & P Home Improvement
- universal maintanencePO Box 313
- universal maintanence
- ZIPNOCK'S TOTAL HOME CARE3956 NEW RD
- ZIPNOCK'S TOTAL HOME CARE