Baschnagel Brothers Inc

Founded 1901 • With Angi since January 2006

150-25 14Th Ave

Whitestone, NY 11357

Additional DBAs - Baschnagel Bros Inc. Additional email - support@baschnagel.com....

03/09/2020

Margaret K.

The price was astronomical, but other than that, all went well. Greg, the man in charge, was exceedingly responsive and reliable, and on top of that, arranged the permission from the Landmarks Preservation Committee, which is a nightmare. The original price was high enough, but it went higher when it was found that there were wood shingles underneath the asphalt. But the work was done amazingly efficiently, by an exceedingly competent and well-coordinated team of six workers. I am poorer, but exceedingly satisfied with a roof that will last the rest of my life and longer.

Description of Work
Baschnagel replaced a roof on a 100-year-old house, that had three layers of roof, the first being extremely old and weathered wood shingle.

01/01/2018

Laura C.

No job is without its problems, but whatever problems arose, they were prompt and took care of it right away. They kept working until the job was done to our complete satisfaction. Our roof is a beautiful addition to our house. The workers were polite and professional. They cleaned up everything when they were done.

Description of Work
Metal roof and mansard

09/06/2016

Mary D.

Great, they were very punctual and thorough. Working on very hard to reach areas on the second floor.

Description of Work
Remove ivy on a two story house.

Category roofing, siding

10/31/2014

Robert S.

The job went well. These folks have been around a looooong time and know their stuff. they've been around so long I remember my grandfather using them, and I am now in my 60s.

Description of Work
They repaired some loose slate roofing tiles

08/11/2014

Barbara J B.

A year has gone by and we are still very pleased. We are a corner house with a slope roof so we get lots of complements on its appearance. We had muliply stormstorms the winter of 2014 and we did not have to worry about our roof. I want to thank Baschanagel Bros. for the quality work they did. They were professional in manner and attitude, and did a beautiful job in a timely manner. My brother even went on the roof to check the work and was satisfied with what he was seeing.

Description of Work
Aluminum angle at perimeter GAR/ELK shingle mate felt with GAF/ELK ice and water shield Timertex Ridge Cap Shingles New Vent Pipe FlashingIncludes Includes GAF/ELK Smrt Choice system Plus LTD. Warranty 5" aluminum seamless gutters with 3" aluminum leaders New Galvanized hip vent skylight 2 ply Firestone SBS Modified Flashing at paraphet

08/08/2014

Andrea D.

I called because they were rated well on Angie's List and because they were located close to my mother's home. We needed an estimate on my mother's damaged garage roof. When I called them, the man who picked up the phone continued his conversation with someone else in the room and did not acknowledge me at all. I finally said and quot;Hello?and quot; His response: and quot;Who's this?and quot; Completely unprofessional. I then asked if they were the roofing company and he suddenly straightened up, changed his tone, and asked, and quot;Yes. How can I help you?and quot; I asked if his company could give us an estimate on my mother's garage roof and gave the address. He said, and quot;Sure. We'll go over and take a look at it.and quot; That was it. I said, and quot;What day do you think you can come by so I can meet you there.and quot; and quot;You don't have to be there,and quot; he answered. and quot;We'll come by maybe Thursday or Friday.and quot; This was a Monday. I offered my phone number. He never asked for it. I informed my mother's health care aides that in the next few days, someone would be coming into the backyard to check on the roof and that they should not be alarmed to see a strange person. No one ever showed up. Clearly this company is so successful, they don't need our business. God bless them.

Description of Work
Nothing.

03/10/2014

Robert W.

went well was told it extend the life of the roof for another four years

Description of Work
Put a coating on flat roof

12/07/2013

Steve C.

I have 2 houses that needed new roofing. The 2 new roofs were installed 9 years ago. The 2 houses are attached to each other. During these past 9 years, one house had no problem but the other had at least different 3 leaks which needed the roofer to come back to fix. My recent leak happened yesterday when it was raining. I am satisfied with one of the houses but not the other house. But I am satisfy with their responsiveness. They are quick to come back to fix anything not done right the first time.

Description of Work
I have new roofs installed on 2 houses 9 years ago. One of the houses were done perfectly but the other needed multiple corrections.

08/14/2013

Ruby W.

It took them more than one month to get to the job, but when they came they were fast and professional. They didn't leave behind any garbage, they cleaned up after themselves really well. The roof was done in less than a day. Workmanship looks fine to me. The leak was fixed, there have been several rain storms since the repair, but no leaks so far so I am satisfied with their work.

Description of Work
I had a leak in my front porch roof and they recommended replacing the whole front porch roof, which is what I did.

08/10/2012

Gary W.

My roof was damaged when a very large oak tree fell on the house. The gutters and a section of siding were also damaged. After getting three quotes, we chose Baschnagel Brothers, who have a reputation for doing quality work in our area. Since the undamaged siding was old and could not be matched, we had all of the siding replaced. They repaired the roof sheathing where necessary and replaced the complete roof. They were prompt and always left the work area clean at the end of every day. They not only performed all of the work I expected, they did some additional work at no charge. Since the roof was being replaced, we decided to add a hip roof over the porch at the front of the house. This was after Baschnagel had quoted the project. This resulted in two more valleys and some additional roofing but they held to the original quote. They even arranged for a subcontractor to repair our brick chimney which had also been damaged.I was also impressed that they were very safety conscious even though we have a cape which isn't very tall, all the workers used safety harnesses. You certainly do not want a worker getting hurt on your property. Even though this wasn't a very large job for them, we were treated as if it was their most important. Great company, I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
Removed old slate roof and siding. Replaced siding, leaders, gutters and installed a complete new roof of GAF Timberline roofing. Arranged for chimney repair.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

03/22/2012

Earl H.

Professional, thorough, technically sound work

Description of Work
Inspect and replace broken roof slates as needed, clean gutters/leaders

07/07/2011

Mary P.

Baschnagel Brothers put the roof on my house and did the whole gutter system. They did the roof about twenty years ago so I figured I would use them again. In the last five or so years we couldn't get them to come. Instead of the quality of work that we were expecting, the jobs were done carelessly. The last time they came they didn't clean out the gutters completely so I took photographs and took them to the office. A woman there swore that she would send someone out but no one showed up. I went through the process again but they still never called back or came. We don't plan on ever using them again. I think the price is outrageous.

Description of Work
Baschnagel Brothers put the roof on my house and did the whole gutter system.

Category gutter cleaning, gutter repair, roofing

04/18/2011

Gary W.

I am extremely satisfied with the work. They ( and their subs) were efficient and neat. Work was performed to high standards. I was glad to see that safety is important to them. You don't want anyone getting hurt on your property. Every day when they were finished working they cleaned up all of the work areas and raked and swept. As jobs go this wasn't a large one for them, they do large commercial buildings and Churches. They treated it as if it was their only job. I never felt that their attention was elsewhere. They informed me when they were going to be at the house and they were always on time. When it was finished they had taken care of every detail that we agreed to and even some things that came up at the last minute, without any extra charges. The owner even stopped by a few times to be sure everything was being done properly. It was refreshing to find a company that is competent and proud of what they do. I would definitely use them again and recommend them to friends.

Description of Work
My house was damaged in the September 2010 tornado that hit NYC. Baschnagel stripped all of the existing roofing, fixed some sheathing that was damaged and replaced all of the shingles, trim, siding, gutters and had a subcontractor repair brick fascia and chimney. They used all of the proper ice shield, tar paper, capping. and copper valleys. We also had them replace a flat garage roof that had been "repaired" by a different contractor three years ago and had already started to leak.

Category gutter repair, roofing, siding

03/21/2011

DONNA B.

They were very professional and kept the appointments on time. I had no issues with them. Their prices were what they described to me and there were no extra or hidden costs. They got the job done well. I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
I used the services of Baschnagel Brothers four months ago. They did my roof.

01/06/2011

Miggie W.

Sent annoying, chain-smoking person who did not forewarn me that he and helper would need to access my electricity on last day of job. Demanded to use bathroom on early morning arrival of first day. By a few months later, had a new leak, which I assumed was not gutter, so arranged for expensive window restoration. Now, it seems copper flashing put in gutters may not have been correct thickness, and definitely was not done all the way up gutters. Gutters now need to be re-built, with NEW copper flashing, and scupper work needed to correct one leak that pre-dated roof job, which Baschnagel estimator did not include in job. Still don't know if flat roof work done was any good or not.

Description of Work
Replacement of copper flat roofs and copper flashing in gutters.

12/07/2010

Mayank S.

We left them a message and they called numerous times when we were not home. We set up a time with them to come by for an estimate. Desmond came by to look at our roof. We needed flashing on our entire home, nothing else. He then said he would have to send his guys who were working, to stop by, look, and then give an estimate. When I asked when they would come, he said that they were busy doing a "bigger job," and that they would come by only when they were in the area. Basically, when it would be convenient for them - when "they're in the area" and "have time." After he left, the numerous calls stopped. We never heard from them again. I guess our job was too small and insignificant for them to consider. We got our work done by another roofer on Angie's List who was punctual, responsive, and professional to us, even though it was not a "big job."

Description of Work
Estimate request.

08/09/2010

John M.

Overall great experience. You can tell they have alot of experience in the roffing business. Didn't leave a mess and were very responsive when I notied a few broken tiles were missed.

Description of Work
Replaced broken missing slate roof tiles. Replaced copper flashing around chimney

08/07/2009

Margaret S.

They are very professional. They are fully insured and bonded. They always send me an estimate and talk about prices. Once the prices are agreed upon, they do their work. They stick with their estimates. Their price is a little higher, but the quality of their work is very good.

Description of Work
We know Baschnagel Brothers for a few years. They took off 3-4 layers on the old roof and put in new roof for us 3 years ago. They also took out all the vents. They took out the 2 skylights and put in new skylights. Recently, they put in lead flashing to help prevent water damage.

Category roofing, skylights

06/01/2009

Audrey V.

We had the stucco work done by someone else and scheduled the gutter work for a Friday 8:00am, with confirmations a day in advance, also being told to pick either Monday or Tuesday the following week in case of rain. Friday was overcast, but it was not raining when my husband called at 8:40am to find out that they were not coming due to the weather. We then scheduled for the following Tuesday, both of us confirming on Monday and then again on the rainy Tuesday that the job would definitely be rescheduled for the next day (Wednesday.) Wednesday was a beautiful day--again my husband had to call at 8:30am to find out where they were--he was told, oh, we can't do it today, the team is already on another job, how about next week? When he asked how they could have confirmed on two separate phone calls the job for Wednesday and not show up, the job manager said he was out of the office and didn't know what was on the schedule. When my husband then asked how could you not know what is being scheduled, the man told him he would rip up our contract and for us to get someone else before hanging up. We received our deposit back promptly. It was very disapppointing to have a company with their reputation act like that; my husband had to miss work (and getting paid!) for the days we had scheduled only to have to start from scratch interviewing contractors and getting estimates.

Description of Work
Nothing was performed except an estimate: We had an ice dam problem with our roof; for the estimate, the company representative showed up on time and gave us a plausible solution to our problem: removing the existing gutters, have the stucco patched behind the gutters (to be done by a separate contractor) and then Baschnagel would install new gutters. Sent estimate out ($1500) promptly and via email/phone answered any additional questions we had. Said they only needed 2 days notice for scheduling, we gave them a week.

Category gutter repair

03/26/2009

RICHARD L.

I have used them several times. The job went very well. The skylight leak stopped completely and the water in the back is now exiting properly. They did a very good job. They were knowledgeable and they cleaned up well. The price was a little high, but I would use them again in the future.

Description of Work
The last time I used Baschnagel Brothers was for them to repair my skylight which was leaking on the sides and they re-did a gutter out of the back of the house.

10/29/2008

Earl H.

Provided estimate, professional and accomodating in doing so and in completing work.

Description of Work
Slate Roof repair--ie "went over" my roof and brought it to their technical standard, sealed appropriately, replaced missing slates, ensured appearance, cleaned gutters and leaders.

07/30/2007

Jay B.

I am happy about using this company because the price they gave us was very reasonable after comparing with other companies who charged much more for the same job. The guys took care of everything they needed like the actual shingles and things like that. They gave us the full service. We have not had any leaks or anything like that since they worked on the roof which leaves us very satisfied for now.

Description of Work
I had them re-do my shingled roof for me. The area was about 40 by 100 which is not very big. It took them around three to four days to finish it.

10/18/2006

JOANNA H.

They were prompt for the estimate, and came to do the work earlier than they even said they'd be able to.

Description of Work
Installed new flat roof.

09/01/2006

ADAM L.

Asked for quote on three skylight. Not a small job. Close to 10k I figure. They came promptly. Told me the quote would come in a few days. I waited a week and called. Not ready. Called a week later still not ready. Finally, a week after that I get a form letter. "We regret to inform you that we will be unable to supply the estimate." I guess these guys are so busy they don't need the work. If so, then don't come and then jerk me around for almost a month. Too bad, guy that came seemed very professional.

Description of Work
Remove and replace three large skylights.

05/30/2006

EMILY M.

They were very good. Nothing leaks.

Description of Work
Mended the roof.