Stonemasters

Founded 2002 • With Angi since September 2005

4.4

7370 Ohms Ln

Minneapolis, MN 55439

Welcome to the Stonemasters & Sons, Inc. Stonemasters is local family owned granite / natural stone and quartz surface countertop fabrication and installation company (we do not install laminate counter-tops or counter-top sealing services) serving the greater 7-county Twin Cities metropolitan area of Minneapolis and St. Paul, MN We're not the largest, but we're not the smallest fabricator and as a result are able to offer professional personal attention to your project whether large or small- a powder room vanity or a whole house; a commercial restroom, or an entire restaurant. Stonemasters works directly with Homeowners looking to just upgrade their countertops, with Interior Designers or Remodelers managing any size remodeling project, or General Contractors looking to form an open and responsive long term working relationship with an excellent granite and quartz countertop subcontractor. Let Stonemasters schedule an in–home consultation to get you a quote and start you on your way to a new kitchen. Call today for a free estimate 952-831-7625. Locally owned....

01/26/2021

Jennifer J.

Very poor workmanship with noticeable chips, cracks, and gaps. In addition to the poor workmanship, the installers damaged my existing cabinet, damaged the electrical outlets, and damaged a brand new nickel outlet cover. Owner agreed to come out 1/25/21 to try to fix the outlets but he didn't show up. I paid for a professional job and received way less than professional results. I am beyond disappointed.

Description of Work
Installation of quartz countertop and full back splash

Category countertops

07/19/2018

J K S.

Nice job. Appointments were kept. Dean’s crew worked diligently and efficiently. Thank you.

Description of Work
Installed new kitchen countertop

03/04/2017

Paul N.

Called before they came out every time and were always punctual. High quality and very knowledgeable!

Description of Work
Completed 9 vanity tops and kitchen counters

01/03/2017

PHIL G.

Dean was good to work with and his installers were very good. Although Dean was pretty accessible by phone, we could not send emails to Dean because of some virus blocker. We also could not leave voicemail messages because his mail box was full. A little frustrating.

Description of Work
Perimeter granite countertops.

06/22/2015

Fred F.

Description of Work
Kitchen counter tops, vanities, bar. Dean was great to work with, as was the installers. Granite looks great. Based on my experience, I highly recommend Stone Masters.

10/30/2013

Jill L.

Great service - willing to come to our house - spur of the moment since we needed the job done right away!

Description of Work
Shaved off 1/2" of our granite counter top opening to fit our new range

08/30/2013

Bonnie A.

The installers came earlier than expected and did a fantastic job. I dealt directly with Dean and he was very helpful and got back to me when he said he would. I would definitely use Stonemasters again.

Description of Work
Granite countertop in bathroom.

06/04/2013

Scott H.

Hopefully, I’m the exception from the rule. But, based on my experience, I will not I’ll be using Stonemasters again. My countertop has finally been installed and I’m very happy with it. However, the experience was disappointing and frustrating. I expected more. I felt that my business was taken for granted. I contacted Stonmasters back in March of 2013 to get a bid on a couple of types granite install. The price was fair, reviews were positive, and I had a good impression overall from the start. . We picked out a slab and put down 50% in early April 2013 to begin work. Soon afterwards, we had scheduled a final measure, which went fine--no issues. We were in process of refinishing cabinets and needed time to complete this. So, we targeted mid May for installation. But after that final measure, we were pretty much in the dark and the frustration mounted. A week after the final measure we had not heard anything so, we contacted Dean to see where things were at. Dean stated that he was understaffed and had a large restaurant project. He was unable to provide an exact date for install at the time, but said he would be able to do it the week of May 13th and would call me by Friday May 10th to confirm. I didn’t get a call back that Friday and had to call Dean to set the install date. Dean stated that the week of May 13th would not work due to aforementioned issues, but were able to schedule a date of 5/22. I had requested a small piece of the granite slab, so we could pick paint and do the painting prior to the granite installation (we have vaulted ceilings and I wanted to stand on the old countertops to paint the walls). Stonemasters had missed two dates on this as to when it was to be ready for pickup. As it turned out, the sample was not ready in time for us to do the painting before the scheduled install of 5/22. So, we ended up crossing our fingers, picked out paint and did all the painting without any sample to match. I wasn't very happy with this, but let it slide at the time. On 5/19 I called Stonemasters to make sure we were still set for our scheduled 5/22 installation. They had not even started. I got no apologies at all. Dean did mention that my sample was ready, which was insult to injury. We rescheduled for 5/27 at 9am. I got a call on 5/26 that 9am would not work for 5/27(same story), and that it would have to be the afternoon that day. Well, they were a NO SHOW the afternoon of 5/27. I got a call from Laramie, that afternoon and finally got a sincere apology (albeit not from the owner) for all the trouble and he promised they would be out on Friday, 5/28 at 9am. Later that same night, Laramie called and stated that 9 am would not work and it would need to be around 11. Around 11 am on Fri 5/28, they FINALLY arrive for the install. With the install, I fully expected to have some sort of screw up because at this point I had zero confidence in them—just hoped and prayed. However, the countertop was fabricated well/fit fine and the install went OK. I did end up with a couple of small chips on my newly finished cabinets. The countertop was not cleaned very well, which I did not notice until after they left. I was expecting a showroom type polish and finish, but the countertop was very dusty. They forgot to vacuum one of my cabinets of sawdust from the install. Not to be petty, but one of the installers light up a cigarette while making some of the cuts in my driveway, which I did not find very professional. After the installation, I found out very quickly that my granite had not been sealed. Water seeped in very quickly and left rings (luckily it was just water and dried fast.). I called Dean and he came out within the hour to apply sealant. I was impressed with how quickly he responded, especially considering it was on Saturday. However, the effort was in vain as he did not apply according to the instructions, which state to let the sealant sit and penetrate the granite for a period of 15 to 30 minutes (he did a wipe on and off a couple of times). So, after he left I thought we were set. But after 24 hours, I found that water was still seeping in and leaving marks. I ended up purchasing my own sealer and did it myself. I’m very patient and understanding person. I know they were short staffed, but that is not my problem. They should still be able to commit to a date (even if it was a few weeks out) and keep me informed. It’s much better than constantly having to reschedule and contact them. I’ll give them credit with the fabrication, it was done well. But the customer service and experience was abysmal. What was most concerning and disappointing is that there were no apologies or attempts to make up for this experience. I was just thanked for my flexibility and given the final invoice.

Description of Work
Installation of 43 sq feet of level 2 granite for kitchen remodel

01/09/2013

BRENT A.

The owner gave me a detailed breakdown of the costs before delivery. The delivery guys were to core holes in the stone on site per a template i had at my house - pretty standard, pretty simple. Once at my house, the stone was marked with the template but the guys didnt have the right size bit to cut one of the holes. They agreed to return three days later to cut the hole and complete the job. Over the next three weeks i exchanged emails with their project manager trying to get him out to finish the work as agreed - at no additional cost, of course (i paid the full invoice when they left). Appointments were made, and broken. Getting this job done was never important to Stonemasters - there was always an excuse about why a scheduled appointment didnt work out. The missed appointments didnt really bother me (as long as i knew they would come out and finish the work as expected), until the morning they were finally going to show up. The day they were supposed to be at my house, i get a call from the owner, and it appeared he had no idea that the work wasnt completed, and sounded surprised that the large A-Frame used to transport the stone had been sitting on my front steps for three weeks. He then proceeded to tell me that I didnt pay for all the holes they drilled when they delivered, and that i'd have to pay for the last additional hole. Fine, i said, Im perfectly willing to pay for each hole. We scheduled for the next day, and minutes later i get an email from the owner with an invoice for $155.00. Itemized as $80 for 'Trip Charge' and $75 for 'Hole Coring'. I immediately emailed back and said i wasnt comfortable paying this. The original invoice stated $15 for each cored hole, and why should i pay $80 for an extra trip, when they should have completed this work three weeks prior in one trip? Also, why was i being charged $75 for hole coring, when the others were $15? Looks like he wanted me to pay for his new drill bit. ALSO, in my original invoice he charged me $75 for an additional man to help deliver the large piece of stone. That extra man didnt come, but i still paid $75 for him (only because i didnt examine it again after writing my check). i explained this clearly to him. His response to my email? NONE. One of his guys shows up at my house the next day with the new drill bit and hands me an invoice for $155. I said No Thanks. He left. Job not finished. Response from the owner - NONE. Job not completed, Stonemasters doesnt really care... and neither do I. I dont want these guys at my house again. oh, yah, dont let me forget that the guy that stopped over with the drill bit offered to do it for $50 under the table if i didnt pay the invoice. Very professional guys.

Description of Work
Simple fabrication and delivery of stone. Pieces were cut to my specifications. Installation was not required.

01/01/2013

Linda C.

I had an intall date of 12/14 and it was installed a week earler on 12/6. It is beautful and we are very happy. We purchased Silestone and it is very nice...Not all of the care is needed. Dean provided us with an extra piece to use as a hot plate. Thank Dean for the good work and fast install date. I would recommend this company for their quality of work.

Description of Work
replaced the kitchen countertops and sink.

12/31/2012

mary R.

They did a wonderfull job! Dean made an extra trip to our home to pick up our new sink for measuring.

Description of Work
Stone masters measured for our granite counter tops, installed them, and our undermount sink. Took a total of 2 weeks. Wonderful job done. We are more than satisfied! Dean and his installers were great to work with!!

12/05/2012

robert R.

We decided to replace our existing kitchen countertop and sink. Four countertop installation companies were contacted that provided bids on this project. Though Stonemasters bid was second lowest, this company was contracted based upon severeal factors. The company owner, Dean Latterell, impressed us with his very extensive knowledge regarding both the variety of products he offered and countertop installation procedures. He provided many useful suggestions in the countertop selection. He consistently displayed a sincere concerned attitude that his customers receive complete satisfaction with the completed project. We were also impressed that his company had it's own factory for preparing the countertop for installation. In less than 2 weeks after signing the contract, Stonemasters came and completely installed the countertop in one day. The countertop has a beautiful and flawless appearance. The one seam appears almost invisible. The installers were very professional and meticulous in performing the installation. They also carefully cleaned their work area upon completion of the job. There were no significant problems or issues during this project. One minor problem occurred with the sink installation. Mr Latterell immediately rectified the problem upon being informed of this. We appreciated that Mr Latterell always consistently responded in a timely manner to any messages we left regarding questions or concerns we had during this project. Based on our experience with Stonemasters, we would recommend this company for any countertop installation project.

Description of Work
Installed new kitchen countertop and sink.

07/24/2012

LEANNE O.

They were excellent. They were easy to reach. They came out and measured. I had my countertop within 1 1/2 weeks. It is beautiful. It is one big piece of quartz without any seams. The installation was wonderful. I was very happy with them. I would absolutely recommend them.

Description of Work
I used Stonemasters & Sons for countertops.

05/26/2012

Laree S.

My experience in calling other granite countertop companies was that many didn't want to do a job so small. Dean readily accepted the job and I couldn't be happier.

Description of Work
I had purchased a new slide-in gas stove and needed a small, 21/2 inch by 30 inch piece of countertop to match my existing counters.Dean came out and looked at the counters, returned with seven samples so we could pick the closest match, and measure, and then after he had cut it returned for the installation.The end result is that in the back of the oven the countertops look seamless. The match was perfect even though my countertop granite is 12 years old. Dean was very professional, skilled and helpful. The area was left clean. I would use Stonemasters again.

04/18/2012

Grant G.

One of the few who provided a thorough quote- very professional except phone calls and emails were not always responded to promptly. His price was attractive and he's very knowledgeable. Recommended!

Description of Work
No services performed. Quote.

02/12/2012

ELLEN O.

I obtained several quotes from granite installers and they were all very similar in cost, but Stonemasters included demolition of the old plastic laminate tops and the installation of the sink under the counter in the price. Dean was very responsive when I contacted him and worked with me to obtain the granite from the stone supplier and he also provided a nice quality replacement stainless steel sink I needed for an additional cost. I had a specific date I had to have the work done and they met all my requirements. The installation was well done and they took alot of care making sure it all fit precisely. When I requested that two joints between granite sections be ground and polished more to make the transitions smoother, they came back right away and did the work. I am very happy with the results and highly recommend them.

Description of Work
Stonemasters removed an existing counter and replaced it with a granite countertop in my kitchen along with a stainless steel sink.

11/14/2011

Thomas B.

They were good to work with - professional and fair. The installers were great and did nice work and gave us suggestions on how to care for the new product. We are pleased with the outcome.

Description of Work
We had our kitchen redone and they provided the granite counter top and the under mount sink.

10/28/2011

DAVID K.

Outstanding work and professionalism. Highly recommended and we will use them again.

Description of Work
Did custom cuts to existing granite to fit a free standing range into an existing countertop.

07/05/2011

Brandi R.

They did good work. They are just the installers and not a one-stop shop. I had to go to a third party to get the stone. The installers were great and did a great job installing. They gave us the name of the warehouse to go to for picking out the granite and then they came out and measured and installed it for us. The service was very good. We just had to pick out the stone and they handled everything through the warehouse and we just had to pay them. They just don't give you a price for the installation and everything is based on the stone that you choose.

Description of Work
Stonemasters put in granite countertops in the kitchen for us.

Category countertops,marble & granite

Just for the record, Stonemasters is a fabricator/installer, and a job shop, not just an installer. That means we only buy stone slabs per job, the custom fabricate them and install. Therefore every customer is given the opportunity to visit a stone slab importer- a separate company- to select the slab that they like. We work with all 5 importers, so a customer is not forced to go to one source. In that manner, they are given the largest selection from which to choose, rather than having to select from what might be a limited selection if Stonemasters chose to bring in their own slab inventory.

12/14/2010

MOLLY L.

They did a great job. They seemed like they knew as to what they were doing. They did a good job and were efficient. The scheduling was great. They cut the countertop to the wrong sink but they returned my money and offered the whole thing. They made up for the fact that they had cut it for the wrong sink. They had to cut an entirely new piece but they were good with working out a deal with me. I took the thing that they had cut before and they offered some more money off on the counter tops.

Description of Work
I have used the services of Stone Masters in February 2010. They did the countertops for my kitchen.

11/18/2010

Tracy J.

Their installation team called ahead to plan the installation date, they showed up on time first thing in the AM, they installed them within hours and did an excellent job. Their seam work was exceptional, it was completely flat and most of my guests don't even see it! Stonemasters installation team went the extra mile and re-caulked my bathroom vanity that had come away from the wall, really earned bonus points for me. I would recommend Stonemasters to anyone and everyone. Try them you will be glad you did!

Description of Work
De-installation of formica countertops and full height backsplash, and Installation of Granite countertops in our 1969 kitchen.

06/23/2010

Kristin C.

Actual price ended up 40% higher than estimate w/out any explanation. Also, I requested the extra kept for me for use as radiator covers. When i picked up the countertops - they could not locate the left over material - it would have equated to 15 sq. ft. of marble. I have additional work left to do in our kitchen - I will not be utilizing Stonemasters for that work.

Description of Work
I brought in carerra marble for cutting into bathroom countertops - simple cuts & marble was already polished.

06/02/2010

WENDY T.

Dean was both capable and professional in his work as was his crew. The work was performed flawlessly and we are very happy with the results. He beat other firm’s price by $1000.00 so I don't know why he is not at the top of the list where he belongs. Regardless of what you do get a price and an estimate from Dean as I'm convinced you will be pleased. I was unable to get a soap dispenser for the kitchen before traveling, Dean picked one up for us and had it installed for me cutting the required hole. The granite was polished to perfection and the backsplash was fitted perfectly so as not to hit the wall plates.

Description of Work
Dean met with my son and I at the cabinet shop looked at our cabinets and made helpful suggestions as to what would work. He came out and measured and found the only piece of exotic granite we wanted that was available in Minneapolis. He suggested some great ideas for customizing the countertop that added to the look.

12/28/2009

Ellen and Ray F.

Good experience. Dean was able to get us a remnant piece and the cutting and polishing were all as expected. The new sinks look great.

Description of Work
Replacement of a bathroom vanity and sinks.

12/14/2006

KELLI B.

Charlie came out to our home and gave us a bid for the project. He said that they would match anyones price and they did. They had very fast and efficient service. The installation was quick and the installers were courteous and knowledgeable. Stonemasters even included a free undermount sink with the project (we had a coupon from a door hanger). They also advertise that they give a $100 referral fee, we did refer someone who completed a job with them but never got the referral fee, even after requesting it. Oh well, the job they did was great and they were super fast! I love my new kitchen.

Description of Work
Removal of old Formica countertops, sink and glued on laminate backsplash. Installation of new custom granite countertops and undermount sink.

Category countertops,marble & granite

The above Angie's List entry was made prior to the referrral fee being paid. Originally we missed that a new job had come from a referral from the Members and did not realize the oversight until their Angie's List entry was read in June of 2010. At that time a referral fee check was mailed and internal proceduers put in place to forstall that event happening again. I believe that thses facats can be confirmed withte Members. I have a cancelled check available as proof that the referral fee was paid. Dean Latterell