The average cost to ship a moving container domestically and internationally is between $3,000 and nearly $7,000
Matching on Angi
Reviews of Movers Near Your Location
Moving Services Near You
We were unable to find pros for your Moving Companies project in Ashburn, VA
Similar to Moving Services
Hiring a mover for a cross-town or cross-country move saves you a lot of time and, surprisingly, money in many cases.
An Important Question To Ask Movers Near You:
Do you belong to The American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA)?
The AMSA represents the best in American movers. Working against generations of shady operators, this group encourages educated homeowners to use high-quality, professional movers. Be sure to ask your moving company if they are included in this association.
You can hire movers to only move boxes and furniture, or you can hire moving services to pack every teacup and knick-knack in your home. Moving services offer a menu of options:
- Buy boxes and packing materials from them and move yourself
- Buy boxes and packing materials from them, box all your possessions, and let the moving service load and move all your belongings
- Call them up, sit back, and have them do everything for you, from packing your belongings to labeling the boxes to moving you, unpacking everything, and putting away every last tablespoon
- Request that your possessions be stored long- or short-term in safe, climate-controlled facilities
- Have the moving service pack and prepare your furnishings to be shipped overseas for international moves
AMSA realizes just about anybody with a van can claim to be a mover. They caution consumers to only work with licensed, insured, certified professionals, and Angie's List agrees. Moving services can offer the best protection for your possessions during the move, including replacement costs for damage to electronics, artwork, furniture and more.
How Much Do Moving Services Cost?
The national average cost is $970.
Angie's List and AMSA recommend getting written, signed estimates from at least three movers before choosing a moving service.
Don't Forget Weight and Other Factors
All moving estimates depend on weight, but more than weight affect a move. Stairs, overhanging trees, limited driveway access, or narrow hallways all affect the time and movement that drive up costs.
Look for three types of estimates:
- Binding — You pay the stated price, even if the shipment weighs more or less than the estimate
- Non-binding — Pay no more than 110 percent of the estimate, even if costs exceed the estimate
- Not-to-exceed — A final bill based on the lower of either a binding estimate or actual cost
Hiring Moving Services Near You
- Go through a legitimate mover locating service that offers free reviews and grades, such as Angie's List.
- Get three written estimates.
- Never accept an over-the-phone estimate; legitimate movers require an in-home inspection to evaluate furniture weight and dimensions.
- Be flexible with moving-out and moving-in dates if possible.
- If you tip the movers, tip each mover individually.
National moving resources for consumers and businesses:
Protect Your Move - State-level resources for protecting your move from scams and scammers | Moving Resource Center - Angie's List resources on moving for consumers such as hiring tips, cost and other information and articles | Protect Your Move - Where to officially file a complaint if you have problems | Protect Your Move - How to handle a problem with a moving company
Explore Our Solution Center for Helpful Moving Company Articles
The typical cost to ship a car within the continental U.S. is $700 to $1,200, with the average price being $950
Hiring movers can cost anywhere between $240 and $10,000 or more. The national average is $1,400 for short-distance moves.