GREENTECH HEATING & COOLING

Founded 2007 • With Angi since May 2008

6403 SE 22ND AVE

Portland, OR 97202

Owner operated. USES SUBS. COST IS DETERMINED BY THE JOB. NO TRAVEL CHARGES. LICENSE#: 176370.

02/16/2018

DOLORES J.

Scott did a preliminary inspection of the spaces we wanted air conditioned and offered his suggestions about placement and equipment. We were very impressed with his technical knowledge. He has a several years experience with DAIKA and strongly suggested using their equipment. We accepted his bid and arranged a time for installation. Scott and his assistant Abe showed up on schedule and completed the job in two days. The exterior installation of electrical and fluid lines is very clean and minimally intrusive. Scott also rewired the thermostat for the existing gas furnace to a location over the cold air return and installed a NEST that I had purchased earlier to the new location. He also removed the obsolete electrostatic filter on the furnace and installed a long lasting paper filter. He did not charge for the thermostat and filter labor. Scott spent a great deal of time explaining operation of the heat pump units and the NEST thermostat. He answered clearly all of our questions about operation of the equipment and offered suggestions about co-coordinating the DAIKA units with our gas furnace. Scott and Abe are very pleasant individuals and we enjoyed having them in our home.

Description of Work
Installation of a heat pump with 4 interior heating/cooling heads.

06/16/2017

Philippe B.

Great job! Really clear and thorough explanation of all the different options, competitive pricing, and great work. Highly recommended!

Description of Work
Central air conditioning.

01/13/2016

JAMES W.

07/29/2014

Kelli Amelia C.

I do not have the exact date, but it was sometime in march or April 2013. I believe the man's name was Scott, but I might be wrong on that- it was awhile ago. He came out on a Saturday around lunchtime and my husband and I were both there. I went downstairs with him to look at the furnace that needed to be replaced. My husband came down a few minutes later. We talked for some time and I had to run upstairs to check on our small children. I came back down and my husband was still talking to him. He gave us an estimate of $4500 (around that) and I said that we had other bids coming in and we'd need to take a look at them all and let him know. (Fact, we don't just get one bid per job, that's irresponsible.) I had to run upstairs again because one of the kids was crying, and I came back down with her and when my husband and the man from Greentech stopped talking, I looked at my husband and said "Can you please go to the store and get these few things while I get the little one down for nap?" (I forget, but it was urgent and I needed to get her down for nap as she was melting down. The man from Greentech had a young daughter/still an infant and I assume he'd understand. I said thanks to him and went upstairs. As I was about to go upstairs to take her to nap, the man from Greentech came upstairs with my husband behind him and didn't say a word and went out the door. I asked my husband if he was going to write a bid and he said "I don't know."- we stood there and realized he had driven away- we didn't even get to say goodbye or thanks for coming or....anything. He just left. Later I got an email and he said "I'm refusing to bid this job- I don't know how you treat other people but I will not be treated in that way." I sent an email back asking what I did to offend him and apologized if he mistook my asking my husband to get something at the store for me as rude or if he was angry about us getting a second bid, and he never answered. To this day, we still do not know what we did to make him angry. There was nothing that we could see or understand that would have caused him to act in this way, and I've never had a reaction like this from any contractor I've ever worked with, so it really was shocking and hurtful. We have the utmost respect for the people we hire to work in our home, and have never treated people with anything but that utmost respect. In the end, we went with Jacobs, another well known heating company, whose bid for the identical work was about $1000 less, and have been quite satisfied with the work. I don't know if he was just having a bad day, but it was very unprofessional in our opinion.

Description of Work
He came to our house to give us a bid for a new furnace.

09/03/2013

Adam Z.

I am looking for a heating solution to my upstairs mother-in-law apartment. I called the provider and spoke to the receptionist. I asked to have someone come out to give me a bid on an option (or two) that would work for the space. She indicated someone would contact me. I did not receive a call back.

Description of Work
No service was performed.

06/15/2013

Jessica S.

Scott at Green tech installed 2 Daiken ductless units in my home. I wanted air conditioning and my furnace was old and beginning to fail. Scott recommended this system and I am so glad I listened to him. I am really happy with the results, super quiet heating and cooling. In addition it was a pleasure dealing with Scott. He is a local small business and takes great pride in the work he does. The whole experience was very easy and professional and I would call him again in a minute.

Description of Work
I called Green Tech to get A/C installed in my home and my existing furnace checked and repaired.

Category electrician, heating & air conditioning/hvac

09/21/2012

Susan & Duaine W.

Scott did a great job! There was one surprise--the old furnace was sitting directly on soil below the garage floor, not on a base. He solved that by digging out some soil, then designed, installed and insulated a new base for the new furnace, at no additional cost over his original estimate. He coordinated several services we needed as part of the installation: our air ducts had never been cleaned, so before installing the new furnace, he helped us find a duct-cleaning service. Our electrical panel wasn't up to code for the furnace installation, so he recommended an electrician to upgrade the panel. And he had an insulation service install insulation around the ducts at the top of the new furnace. Scott installed our new furnace and put the new heat pump right where we wanted it, leaving room for a future garden shed. He coordinated the above-mentioned contractors, and left the garage cleaner than he found it each evening. He explained each step of the process. and finally, gave us a great tutorial on the new thermostat and recommended the most environmentally-friendly settings. Scott worked hard and was easy and fun to work with. I highly recommend him and Greentech!

Description of Work
Our 1956 house had an old (1956) oil furnace. Several years ago we converted it to burn B20 biodiesel, & had a new burner installed 2 years ago. But the price of biodiesel has increased tremendously! We wanted a new heating system with as small an environmental footprint as possible. Scott from Greentech recommended a multi-stage heat pump with an efficient electric furnace to back it up. He removed (& recycled) the old furnace, installed the heat pump, new furnace & a high-tech thermostat.

06/06/2012

Ethan S.

Scott is awesome! Our new home is very old and the finished attic had no heat. Scott helped us find a ductless heater that fit our space and figured out a way to route it through the house rather than drop an unsightly line down the outside of the house (as other estimates suggested) - and all for a great price! He also installed an air conditioner for our space that was already ducted for heat. And then walked us through both new thermostats/remote controls and programmed our units! Not only was his solution for our space optimum, he worked his butt off and was fabulous to have in our space (we're work from homes with our kids at home too, so we were here (in his way;) the whole time!) He did all of the work himself, bringing in an electrician and then plaster/drywall repair guys when needed. Scott knew we needed help ASAP and squeezed us into his busy schedule - even working on a holiday. Honestly, I can't say enough great things about him and his work - we'll call him again in a heartbeat if we ever need HVAC help again!

Description of Work
Installation of ductless heater in finished attic. Installation of air conditioning, tied into existing ductwork, on other level of house.

04/20/2012

Rhett S.

They are very professional and take care of there work. They are very green and run their vehicles on bio fuel.

Description of Work
Fixed a problem with the furnace.

12/08/2011

Debra K.

The whole experience was great. Scott was knowledgeable and made good suggestions for issues that I had not considered. He provided information about energy efficiency and making choices based on environmental as well as financial concerns. His company did the work they contracted for, on time and on budget. His team was also friendly, willing to answer questions and were respectful of my time and property. They followed up after the project was completed to make sure I was satisfied and had all of my questions answered. I would choose them again for any work I needed done, and have recommended them to friends.

Description of Work
Competitive bid for new natural gas high efficiency furnace. Installation of new furnace and air cleaner. This included restructuring space and orientation of furnace

10/10/2011

Mari K.

They were very efficient and professionalism. Very easy to work with. I would recommend them anybody.

Description of Work
They did a bunch of different jobs around.

Category drywall, replacement windows

10/07/2011

Amber M.

Scott and his crew are awesome. They are punctual, clean up after themselves, and are very responsive to concerns and problems. I would recommend them to anyone.

Description of Work
We had ductless heat pumps installed. One upstairs and one downstairs. We also had Scott replace our water heater.

09/16/2011

Brad W.

Scott was pleasant, well-informed and professional. It was a close decision which led us to a different provider.

Description of Work
Scott Akin (owner) came out to give a bid. His proposal was well considered and his knowledge of the work involved was impressive. He was extremely pro-active regarding getting detailed information to me to help with decision making. In the end we went with a different company. It was similar (small business, very detail oriented with lots of attention to customer service. The decision was a close one. I have no doubt that Scott would have been a good alternate choice and would have delivered all services as promised.

08/14/2011

Paul M.

Scot is a real professional. I had ideas of what I wanted and Scott helped me understand all of my options so I could make an informed decision on the best system for my home. This system has improved the year round conditions and comfort in the house and I am very pleased with the results.

Description of Work
Installation of new, whole house, heating and air filtration system.

03/26/2011

Vanetta A.

It went very well. The install happened on time and exactly at the price that was bid. Scott was very professional and was really knowledgeable about the equipment.

Description of Work
They provided an estimate and recommendation on type of unit. Then once we agreed on the deposit and unit, they installed a Daiken Ductless Mini-split to our master suite.

03/24/2011

Rhett S.

They are HVAC people. It is a small company and I liked the owner. He also does some of the installing. He is a very personable guy. The company is committed to going green. They operate their vehicles on bio-fuel. Their pricing was right. I did interview other people. The job went smoothly enough. They showed up when they were supposed to show up. They worked hard. During the installation, one of their guys installed something that the owner came and saw and didn’t think was right. So, he had him take out the part and put it back together in a different way. We had a problem with the air conditioning system initially with a vent that went too far. We found out about that in the winter time and it froze up. So, they came back and fixed the one that went inside into laundry room instead. Everything was done at no charge and there was no hassle as well.

Description of Work
Greentech Heating & Cooling installed a replacement and a high-efficiency furnace and an air conditioning system for us about a year and a half ago.

03/14/2011

Lacey O.

We had a great experience with Scott from GreenTech. He was prompt during our initial correspondence, and he provided us with a wealth of information on the various brands/types of furnaces, along with his opinions on the best for our needs. He was upfront about the fact that there are specific types he likes, and though they aren't necessarily the cheapest, he gave ample evidence of their superiority. Following our acceptance of his bid, he was able to begin work that week, and the whole thing was over in 4 days. It would have been a quicker process, but Scott didn't feel comfortable with a lot of the existing duct work, so he repaired/replaced it at no extra cost to us. Overall, we were absolutely satisfied with Scott's work, and we would unreservedly recommend him to anyone looking for quality work at a fair price.

Description of Work
Replaced old gas furnace with new high-efficiency model. Repaired/cleaned ducts. Had chimney liner installed for orphaned hot water heater exhaust.

Category heating & air conditioning/hvac, air duct cleaning

10/25/2010

Alicia E.

Scott and his crew did a great job installing the furnace. It ended up taking an extra day or two due to the complex rework of ducting. Was a great experience working with him!

Description of Work
We had Scott install new gas furnace and relocated it from finished basement to crawl space. This required reworking some existing duct work and adding ducting for the remodel basement project that was in the works. They also added an electronic air filter.

07/13/2010

Suzanne T.

I have wall heaters in all my rooms in my home and they are extremely inefficient and noisy. I contacted Scott Akin about a mini split system and he came over and spent about 1 1/2 hours with me explaining how they work, what was involved in the install and making sure it was what I was looking for. He then sent me a proposal with a long list of references, pictures of installs he has done and links to informative websites; I immediately decided to hire them. His co-worker John came over and did the install and made sure that everything went well with the electrician (who was great too! He was able to connect from the circuit breaker box downstairs in the opposite corner of the house all the way to the outside unit with just a small 1 foot opening created in the basement ceiling...amazing!). John did a great job of making everything very asthetically pleasing - there are no tubes/wires hanging out in the open. Scott then came over and spent another 1 1/2 hours answering all my questions on the unit. I never felt rushed and I feel like I could call them anytime and they would bend over backwards to make sure any questions or concerns were addressed. I would HIGHLY recommend them especially if you are like me and want great customer service! Oh, and they both have fantastic senses of humor!

Description of Work
Installed Daikin Mini Split Ductless heat pump with one interior wall mount.

07/06/2009

Vickie V.

When our very old oil furnace died in March, we were faced with replacing it with either a new oil furnace or a natural gas furnace. Scott was referred to us, and provided great guidance. He helped us get everything in order with the gas company, and our furnace was installed within 2 weeks (this is expedited). He communicated well and made sure we knew how the project was progressing. He even thought to install a vent in the basement that could be opened to dry clothes. After the work was completed, we received all the paperwork we need for tax credits and rebates for our more efficient furnace.

Description of Work
Scott and his team worked quickly to replace our furnace. He provided a quick estimate and worked with me to get the project going while I was out of town.

03/16/2009

Jae E.

Everything as far as quality was good, however, the job took a little longer than they estimated.

Description of Work
They ran one vent in a house and installed a full heating system in another house.

02/03/2009

MARIANE H.

He spent so much time explaining things to me and making sure I was satisfied. He was also price competive. The quality of work was excellent and he is very responsive.

Description of Work
I went from an oil furnace to a heat pump with an electric back up.

10/15/2008

JESSICA P.

Great experience with Green Tech, Scott and John. Felt very safe and taken care of by them. Not so impressed with the electrician. But overall happy with the results. The stove is working great.

Description of Work
Installed the gas line, and chimney pipe to my free-standing gas fireplace. Used an outside electrician to wire it.

09/03/2008

Linda S M.

The installation was great and their follow up has been wonderful.

Description of Work
They installed a furnace and heat pump.

05/05/2008

Rhett S.

Scott is a very engaging young man. His company is relatively new, but his experience and that of his staff is well established. He was a good listener and understood what we were trying to achieve which was: 1) 24/7 superior filtration. 2) lower heating bills. 3) "smoother" heat. 4) a touch of A/C. At first, I assumed that a heat pump was the way to go. He (and other vendors) pointed out that for the heat pump to work efficiently, I would surely have to replace the furnace, especially the fan and motor component. We talking about options to achieve this. He made (along with other vendors) two proposals which would achieve what I wanted using a heat pump. Then came the question, "why a heat pump?". We talked some more about using a lower cost a/c unit instead of a heat pump. This would go with a high efficiency furnace. The price he quoted was the best by a small amount over the second bidder and I was more impressed by his line of equipment. They could also start within days which was advantageous. As a final note: This project cost considerably more than I anticipated going in. This was due to having to replace the furnace with any option whereas I had ASSUMED that I could and should use the existing 27 year old furnace. Once that surprise was assimilated, I feel that I got reasonable value for what was eventually installed. The price mentioned above is before and credits or rebates.

Description of Work
Replace 28 year old furnace with new 95% efficient unit. Install AccuClean filter. Install air conditioning. Provide all necessary electrical, gas connections, foundations. Clean up.