Arrow Masonry & Exteriors Inc

Founded 1993 • With Angi since June 2002

400 S Vermont St

Palatine, IL 60067

29 Employees. No subs. Cost is determined by the job. No travel charges. Award winning.

06/13/2020

Jarad W.

All around, Arrow Masonry was outstanding. Mike visited our 3-flat building several times over the last few years to diagnose and advise on different problems, saving us thousands in unnecessary repairs. I sincerely wish all service providers and contractors operated the way Mike's operation does. This is a well-oiled machine with a commitment to quality and a pride for getting the details right. I highly recommend Mike and Arrow Masonry for any brick, block, and cement sealing and repair work. We were in year 8 of our split-face block's 10-year sealant life expectancy. In preparation for a re-seal, a major building expense, we did some preliminary shopping and received 4 quotes last year. Mike's quote wasn't the cheapest and it wasn't the most expensive. However, his command of masonry and ability to call out the details was impressive. He and his office (shout out to Patti!) were highly responsive as well. Our Association felt the most confidence in Mike's quote and decided that when the time came, we would go with Arrow Masonry. This year, the units in our building experienced 3 leaks above 3 different windows within 120 days. Time to accelerate the sealing job! We were able to get Mike and his crew scheduled to come out within 2 weeks. The crew showed up, on time, at 7 AM sharp and worked through 5 PM each day. It took a total of 4 days to get the job done. After each day, they cleaned up the entire site as if they were never there. This was greatly appreciated. Steve, the foreman, and the rest of the crew were incredibly professional, knowledgeable, and addressed a lot of extra details that we did not even ask the team to address. They repaired our front steps, unprompted, and did a high quality overhaul of the flashing on our rear balconies to help prevent runoff down the exterior block below each deck. I did a final review the day after the job, loaded up a photo album of small adjustments that had to be made, shared with Mike, and he had the crew out in 24 hours, a Saturday morning, to wrap up all the final details. They really knocked it out of the park! Our Association could not be more satisfied with the job and the experience. We will happily use them again when the need arises.

Description of Work
Waterproof Sealing, Caulking, Tuckpointing, Cement Repair

08/04/2018

Michael P.

Human nature tends to drive people to post reviews when they have a complaint about a business, however, I gladly will write a positive review when the opportunity presents itself. This, however, is not one of those opportunities. Arrow Masonry couldn't even adequately schedule our work. After being promised a work commencement date in mid-August 2018, (with an executed contract in early July, and communications since late June) I received a call on Aug 3rd from the scheduler to be notified that our job would not be able to be completed in 2018. This call came 2 days after being notified that work would start on August 13th if there weren't any other weather delays. Not sure what changed, as the owners never called me, as requested. If the lack of ability to schedule appropriately isn't enough of a red flag, please check their BBB complaints of faulty work and a lack of responsiveness on warranty claims. Avoid at all costs.

Description of Work
Tuckpointing & Sealing

Category masonry, house painters

I would like to apologize for your recent experience. I have just returned from out of town this past weekend. The estimator that you worked with could have been more upfront from the beginning regarding the difficulties with scheduling this year. The rain this season has pushed the schedules back more than 6 weeks so far, as of August 7. Our crews and staff are extremely backed up as a result of these delays. This is the reason no funds were requested when the tentative schedule was set. We felt that it was more prudent to inform you ahead of time of the probability of being able to complete this work in the 2018 season rather than continually pushing a start date back putting you at any further risk.

04/14/2017

Tom P.

Asked someone to come out to bid a masonry and tuckpointing job for a 6-unit condo project in Chicago. individual came out and we discussed the scope of work. When I inquired about what the recommended scope of work would be, the individual immediately become confrontational and explained he would only perform the work "his" way. When I told him that's fine and to include in the proposal whatever he is comfortable doing, he said, "maybe you should just hire someone else" and walked away. Bizarre stuff. I guess he just wanted to pick a fight? Either way I'm glad we parted ways before we entered into any sort of agreement.

Description of Work
Concrete sealing and tuckpointing work for 6-unit condo building

08/13/2016

Nancy S.

Cinder blocks have to be waterproofed. Otherwise, cinder blocks absorb rain like a sponge and water starts coming into the building. You've got to waterproof these bricks. You have to do it every 10 years. It's a special paint for the bricks. The stuff can get really expensive, that's why we did it in two stages. Everybody in the building had to pitch in with a special assessment because we didn't have the money in our condo account to do it. They did like the west side of the building and then the back side of the building the first time and then they did the east side of the building and the front side the second time. I didn't do the original hiring of these people. The daughter of the lady that owned the unit on the third floor was living up there. She didn't work and she had the time. They were Angie's List members. They did all the interviewing. I did talk to the lady, her name is Kathy Torres. They came out a few times taking pictures and I remember talking to her. She was really professional. They were very knowledgeable. You kind of have to get everyone in the building to agree on the stuff. She had called some places and I think from their homework they thought that Arrow was really good. And then when I met Kathy Torres, she was really knowledgeable and really on top of things. I think their price was good. I remember her looking at other places and they were all about the same. It's not a cheap job. The work was good. There was always good communication.

Description of Work
They did water proofing. It was some kind of paint.

Category house painters

10/06/2015

Susan F.

Horrible and arrogant attitude! My bf's condo association has done a lot of business with Arrow, so he referred me. However, it took months to get this guy to call me back. Once he did, he actually complained about my calling before.....6 months before.... to which he never called back. He then was very condescending and started to complain about needing to drive out of his way to provide the quote (I live in Lincoln Park). When I asked if he knew of anyone closer to the city, he scoffed that "he was the best" and went off about how valuable his time was. Well, my time is too, and I'm not the one getting paid. I've literally never heard someone in a service industry say such absurd things. I politely explained how he didn't need to do it if the job were too far away, but wanted to know if there was anyone else he could refer me to. He then literally hung up on me! They clearly need to update their service area or get less lazy employees

Description of Work
Nothing.... he never calls back and is very unprofessional

06/19/2015

TIFFANY P.

Estimator came right away and I didn't need to be home - everything was laid out in estimate! Estimator also noticed how a previous small job had been done incorrectly. There is never answering machine and you always talk to a person. We had a lot of water issues and have none now. They matched our mortar and did a great job. Looks excellent. I called this spring about an issue and was immediately called back by the foreman who was on our job. Issue resolved immediately. Would recommend Arrow to all.

Description of Work
Arrow tuckpointed our entire brick house. Also - lintil replacement on windows

09/10/2013

Lawrence F.

Two men showed up to do the work and completed it in one afternoon. It looks great to me. I have had Arrow do work previously and feel they do a professional job at a reasonable cost and will call again if I need some work done.

Description of Work
There was an area of my west wall which needed to be fixed. Mike came and looked at it the day after I called. Since it was a small job and not an emergency, we agreed it would be done on a day when the workers finished early at another location.

08/27/2013

Arleatha E.

It went ok. A coworker from work referred Arrow Masonry to me and I also found it on Angieslist. I had some questions so I called and spoke to Ann and she was helpful. I also talked to I think her name was Karie. The tuckpointing blending in ok.

Description of Work
Spot Tuck Pointing

05/29/2013

Sabah A.

The SP came over, analyzed the work, and provided a quote. Great. Then I signed the quote and sent it back. I have yet to get the job scheduled and what was over a months ago. After repeated phone calls and emails, no one ever returns my inquiry. Here I thought I had the SP I needed and they aren't responsive enough to do the job.

Description of Work
The SP was supposed to patch up a water leak we were having in our basement.

Category masonry, replacement windows

05/14/2013

Marvin L.

Job was to be perform at 228 W. Cermak in Chicago. Did not use them. No work performed.

Description of Work
They came out to give an estimate. Give me a price. After about a week I ask if they would do the job and was told I needed to sign the contact that I didn't get so the girl faxed me a copy. I signed it the same day and indicated that I needed to schedule and have the job done a.s.a.p. Wait about 4 days, no reply. Called them again and waited a few more days, No reply. So I gave them job to another company. They called 4 hours after I gave the job to another company. I would not afford to wait for them to come do the job. I had a deadline and he didn't care. They were cheaper. But that doesn't matter if they can't or won't do the job when I need it.

01/08/2013

Tom F.

They did an outstanding job. You can hardly tell where the repair was made. They went out of their way to tuckpoint a few additional spots that needed it, without my prompting. They were punctual and cleaned up thoroughly. Well done.

Description of Work
Repairing long crack in brick facade. Completely re-set brick in one area where the crack was especially bad.

11/14/2012

Patricia M.

No service. Requested an estimate and never received any response.

Description of Work
No service. Requested an estimate and never received any response.

10/02/2012

JOAN P.

They did a great job. They sent me a contract and wanted a down payment and once the work was completed, they would receive the remainder owed them. I was happy with the price. They sent references as well. They are a very good company and I would use them again if needed.

Description of Work
I used Arrow Masonry & Exteriors for some chimney repair work. I found them through Angie's List.

Category chimney repair

08/13/2012

Diana N.

After accepting a deposit and therefore effectuating the contract, Arrow reneged, indicating in a return note enclosed with a check (without accrued interest or regard for any potential price increase to rebid the project late in the season) that "all the recent storm damage has committed our available crews to larger projects...."

Description of Work
Site visit, free estimate, proposal, and accepted the residential contract in the Spring of 2012 for chimney and crown repairs with 1/3 deposit. Arrow would only provide a oral weather permitting start date.

Category masonry

Let's backtrack so the members can get a clear idea of what transpired. The original contract dated back to November of 2011 and was not executed by Member until April of 2012. At that time a scheduled date was provided to start the work in June. Member did not want the work done then and requested July 2nd. Arrow willingly obliged and reschedule the work to meet the customer's request. A 7 man crew showed up on time the morning of July 2nd and was promptly turned away by Member stating that she did not want the work done that day or that week because it was too hot and humid for her. No courtesy call was made by Member the day or week before to let Arrow know that she did not want the work performed. Keep in mind our Arrow crew had loaded up the truck with all the materials and equipment to perform the work and had to be compensated for a half day even though no work was performed because they were ordered away. Member then wanted the work scheduled for "some time in the future" when the weather was cooler. Arrow explained to Member that the soonest we could reschedule her work would be sometime in September as we had other projects to finish and jobs that were already scheduled until that time. We had a series of bad storms in the beginning of August that has required our crews to perform mandatory emergency work on top of previously scheduled work and would not be able to get to her job until October. Arrow then decided to give Member back her deposit so she could find another contractor who could hopefully perform the work before the end of the season.

07/14/2012

ALICE P.

Overall the work went very well. I communicated with Mike Galasinski, and he understood the problem and responded well to my questions about having the job done well so that it would last a long time. He was easy to contact and he answered calls promptly. The work site was clean and the area was left clean after the job was done. I am very pleased with the sustainable job that Arrow did and I will hire them again.

Description of Work
Arrow dismantled and rebuilt the interior of 3 parapet walls on the front "sunroom" area of my brick 2 flat building. They used "severe weather" rated brick and they coordinated their work with the roofer I hired. I needed to have both roofing and tuckpointing done because water was entering the building between the roof flashing and parapet wall. The parapet wall was falling apart. Arrow rebuilt the wall and provided temporary flashing and then the roofer came and replaced the roof. Arrow also spot tuckpointed the front off the building and the color matching the exisiting mortar very well. I am very satisfied with their work.

03/23/2012

Rick C.

They are very professional. They are doing outstanding work. I would not hesitate to use them again.

Description of Work
They are brick layers.

10/05/2011

AMIRA Z.

The people who work for Arrow are CRIMINAL!!! They only want to do work for you if they can rob you blind! The contractor who called me to come out and give me an estimate HUNG UP ON ME after he insisted that he would only help me if he could do thermal imagine in my condo for $500 and then do tuckpointing on my entire building. I attempted to explain to him that this is not what I needed or desired. Oh, and this is only after I've been trying to get this company to call me back since AUGUST and it is now October. They are lazy and only interested in working for people who don't know what repairs they need done. BEWARE!!!

Category masonry, roofing

This particular Angie's List Member called and asked to speak with someone with experience in leak remediation. Mike, who has over 30 years experience, responded to her inquiry. She demanded that Arrow perform a water test with a hose on the walls, roof and windows and Mike explained to her that we do not perform water tests nor can you duplicate a horizontal rain simulation with a garden hose. He further explained to her that Thermal Imaging will help detect where the water is entering and that there was a charge for it. The charge would be credited back once the work to fix the leak was completed by Arrow. This member declined the service. The accusation that we are criminals is not only outrageous but quite defamatory considering the fact that we were trying to be of service.

10/03/2011

Phil F.

Called for an appointment to have some exterior work done and they told me no one needed to be home and someone would be out in the next couple days. 4 days went by and I still did not hear anything so I called again and they told me someone was out but did not have the paper work done yet. I called a few days later left a message and got a call back about setting up an appointment for the following week. This would have been 2 weeks after the initial call. No thanks, I will find someone else.

Description of Work
Called for an appointment to have some exterior work done. Replace lintel.

Category masonry

We apologize for this member's discontent, however this late in the season the Arrow representatives and crews are extremely busy making up for lost time with all the rainy weather this year.

08/19/2011

DREW G.

Arrow has previously done work for us - tuckpointing our entire home, rebuilding our brick front steps, concrete repair and full house caulking. Last repair was in March. I emailed their estimator (my longtime contact) today about getting some caulk/patching repair work done, and she said they were booked solid until the end of October - today is August 19th. Either she's giving me a line, or they truly don't do small jobs anymore and don't care about their previous loyal customers. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend them on AL.

Description of Work
Concrete & caulk repair, to a previous tuckpointing & concrete sidewalk job.

Category concrete repair, masonry

With all the storm damage these past few months Arrow is extremely busy solving water penetration issues, which at this point in time, takes priority over other services.

08/19/2011

MARGARET W.

All went well, and were very satisfied.

Description of Work
We needed a large number of bricks replaced in our exterior chimney after this past winter. We contacted Arrow Masonry and Exteriors, Inc. for an evaluation of the repairs needed and the cost for the repairs. The reason we contacted them is because we had used them for repairs a few years ago and were very satisfied then. Again we were extremely satisfied with the work done, with the friendly and efficient staff that worked on the repairs, and the excellent job of cleaning up of the area when the job was finished. We certainly call them again if needed.

Category masonry, chimney repair

08/04/2011

Nilofer U.

Just got off the phone with an estimator (named Mike) from this company. He was perhaps the rudest person I have spoken to in my entire life. He called and left a voicemail at 7:30am, I called back 5 minutes later. After sharing some details about the unit, he suggested he could be at our place in half an hour. I said that this did not work for me as I need to go to work. He did not like this response. He went on at length about how he is very busy and is the only estimator who covers the Chicago area (others cover the suburbs), he has 12 estimates today, 18 tomorrow, etc, etc. He said he could give me a call on Monday. I politely asked if there was any availability for tomorrow (did not seem out of the question given that today was an option). He got very angry and offended by this suggestion and went into a long explanation about how he needs to come based on his very busy schedule and when he is in a particular area, and that there is no way to predict in advance what the schedule/route will be and ended by saying "Listen, I would suggest you call someone else." Which I will, but I just can't fathom why one would speak to a customer this way and how he jumped to such a statement so quickly. I said maybe 10 or 15 words the entire duration of the 1-minute phone call, yet he was so incredibly nasty. Without a doubt the most unprofessional person I have spoken to in my search for a Masonry expert in Chicago. I would avoid this person/company unless you are in the mood for a conversation with someone who is almost comically unprofessional and inexplicably mean.

Description of Work
Did not have services performed because the initial 1-minute estimate phone call was the worst experience of my life.

05/16/2011

Traci T.

The bid I received was the same as another company but I choose Arrow based on the informed conversation I had with the estimator (Kathy). She pointed out the problem and offered options in rebuilding the top layers of the chimney, one which was lower in price. She also noted that even though we had not noticed any problems with our other chimney what should be done before we ended up with any damage inside and a more costly repair. The men that did the work were very efficient and prompt each day of the job. They were very thorough in their clean up.

Description of Work
The mortar on one of our chimneys had deteriorated and the top 7 courses of brick had to be dismantled and rebuilt and a new cement capstone needed to be installed. Also, the chimney was sealed with a waterproofing agent.

Category masonry, chimney caps, chimney repair

03/01/2011

JOSEPH P.

Kathy was absolutely professional and marvelous. Everything she said she would do, she did. She had great follow through.

Description of Work
They did tuckpointing for me and repaired some areas without having to do the entire house. They also repaired my retaining wall without my asking.

Category masonry, chimney repair

01/25/2011

BEN W.

They are very good disgnosticians, they go to the root of the problem. These guys always do great work.

Description of Work
They have been working over a number of years on any masonry work that I need. I am working with them currently in a difficult ornamental masonry problem on a small commercial building.

11/29/2010

Betty O.

The crew of three workers and a foreman arrived on time as promised and worked diligently until all work was completed. They cleaned-up everything before they left and hauled away the debris. I couldn't tell they had been here by looking at the work area. It was spotless. The window sills look great. And they caulked around all nine windows and not just at the sills.

Description of Work
Brick window sills were removed from the front of the house and replaces with limestone ones. All windows were caulked completely.

Category handyman service, masonry, pavers, gravel, replacement windows