Custom Fireside Shop

Founded 1968 • With Angi since October 2005

Custom Fireside opened for business in 1968. In fact, our main store--while now much larger--is still located at the original 5545 Auburn Boulevard address in Sacramento . We began business making new and replacement fireplace screens for the local community. We quickly grew into selling hearth

...

fireplace services (27)gas fireplace repair (13)chimney sweep (2)

11/02/2021

John L.

Fireplace is great. However, it took 6 weeks and three subsequent visits to fix the first improper installation. On first three visits, the technicians failed to properly install fireplace, making separate errors each time. Each visit was at least two weeks later. Also, we were never advised the fan was not controlled by the remote, so the only way to change its level is to take the bottom front plate out and manually adjust the fan each time we wish to change it, hoping we do not scratch the surfaces. The manager's reaction to my disappointment about this feature was basically indifference.

Description of Work
purchase and installation of fireplace.

Category chimney sweep, fireplaces

Work Completed On 08/20/2021

[Member Name Removed], We appreciate your patience. I understand that we had a couple of issues, one mechanical and one regards to getting it all set correctly. You have a specialized fireplace that required some extra fussing. Let us know if you need anything. I hope that you enjoy it this season. Sincerely, Mitch

08/23/2020

Steven P.

The purchase was excellent with no high pressure too buy more than what I needed. The installation was excellent as Jordan did a great job and did not leave any mess. He was on time and pleasant to deal with. I would recommend this business to anyone.

Description of Work
I had a gas log kit installed that I purchased from custom fireside.

Category gas logs

Work Completed On 08/21/2020

06/12/2017

Carol D.

It's never been serviced because it just works.

Description of Work
We had a gas fireplace insert installed years ago, into a previously wood-burning fireplace. It functions very much like a furnace.

Category gas logs

Work Completed On 06/01/2014

[Member Name Removed], Thanks for the review! Let us know if you need anything. Sincerely, Mitch Heller Owner

05/03/2017

Gretchen M.

It went very smoothly--well done. The men were on time, they installed the unit and cleaned up everything

Description of Work
I had a gas burning fireplace installed.

Work Completed On 12/12/2016

03/27/2017

Thomas P.

They said they charged a certain amount for any repair, when it came down to it they also charged for the part. So that was over and above the repair fee. That was not in their information, that was not disclosed. Other than that, they did a good job. I would possibly use them again, as long as they disclose their real cost.

Description of Work
They came out to fix our fireplace.

Work Completed On 12/01/2016

03/14/2017

Kimberly O.

Salesman at the store was helpful and service technician was prompt, worked quickly, cleaned up, and was helpful explaining how to operate the new fireplace.

Description of Work
New gas fireplace insert

Work Completed On 02/22/2017

[Member Name Removed], thanks for your review! Enjoy your fireplace! Sincerely, Mitch Heller, owner.

03/07/2017

Dan V.

Work Completed On 11/10/2015

10/12/2015

Anne C.

Description of Work
They put in a cozy heat fireplace insert in the family room. They put gas logs in the living room. They were clean. They were neat. They did everything I needed them to do. After they cleaned up, you would never have known they were here. I would hire them again without hesitation.

Work Completed On 09/28/2015

11/13/2014

Gail G.

I found that after 25 years the grate had melted and the burner had become distorted. When I went to the shop I was shown a variety of options and made a decision to replace all the parts. The scheduler said he would call me back in the afternoon to schedule an appointment. He did. I received a 2 hour time frame. The technician was here at the beginning of the time frame. He wiped his feet thoroughly and covered my carpet with two large quilted matts to protect my carpet. He replaced all outdated parts and installed a new gas log system. It was finished within a half hour. He took away all the old parts and carefully cleared away the matts with debris from the fireplace. I was thrilled when he turned it on because it had not looked this good for a few years. The technician was friendly and considerate. Thanks, Custom Fireside for another great job.

Description of Work
About 25 years ago I had Custome Fireside install a gas log system in my fireplace. The ceramic logs had begun to crack and the grate had burned away. After all these years I decided to return to this shop for some updates.

Work Completed On 11/13/2014

04/24/2014

William K.

Very well. The installer, Greg, arrived on time and completed all work within his estimated time frame. We had a bookcase unit in the great room and wanted to add a modern fireplace.

Description of Work
Removed wall unit (bookcase, TV stand) and installed gas fireplace.

Work Completed On 03/20/2013

04/16/2014

Martha J.

There was a visit to measure to determine the size of insert that could be installed. Two men arrived on time to do the install, worked efficiently and very cleanly, leaving no mess behind. They explained use, features and safety of the unit and the remote and demonstrated. I have been happy with the results.

Description of Work
Gas fireplace insert

Work Completed On 04/16/2014

01/31/2014

Keith R.

Excellent job. Very thorough. Have corner fireplace and they made a flange to cover the shorter side which continued around to the front as one piece.

Description of Work
Installed a gas fireplace insert with chimney piping.

Work Completed On 09/09/2013

01/24/2014

cameron S.

They were good. They were on time. They came out and gave some good suggestions. We were looking at one thing and we ended up doing something else. It was pretty comparable on price and it fit our environment a little better.

Description of Work
I have used Custom Fireside Shop.

Work Completed On 07/01/2013

07/15/2013

Rob M.

Catalyst repair was done quickly and correctly by the young service tech. While the store had indicated that they would also be repairing the broken air control lever, the tech stated that he could not perform that work. Instead of repairing it, he left the new part and suggested that we find a welder to do the work with no recommendations of a competent service provider. Subsequent review of the fireplace by an expert professional welder disclosed that the required weld would require cutting apart the firebox to attach the control lever and re-welding the fireplace afterwards; a complex & expensive process. We elected to skip the lever repair and developed a field work-around solution to operate the fireplace efficiently. We were very disappointed by the lack of a good solution to the product problem. The store , otherwise is an excellent source of high quality fireplace supplies but, their service has not been as useful.

Description of Work
Installed new catalyst element for our Fireplace Xtrordinair and advised on a repair for the broken air control lever

Work Completed On 07/01/2010

05/09/2013

Rochelle T.

Although we had problems with the insert, they came out twice to fix the problems. Very professional and customer friendly.

Description of Work
Delivered and installed fireplace insert.

Work Completed On 10/18/2012

01/20/2013

Donald B.

The installers arrived as scheduled. The work was done very professionally, clean-up was thorough. We had difficulty with the thermostat which was replaced by the company to our complete satisfaction.

Description of Work
Very good

Work Completed On 10/01/2012

12/19/2012

Katherine B.

Next time I will better anticipate how to order from them

Description of Work
The installer traveled from Forest Hill and was efficient, polite and did a great job

Work Completed On 10/01/2012

05/22/2012

Karen L.

Arrived on time. Did a good installation. Cleaned up. All went well.

Description of Work
Removed wood burning hardware and installed a gas log set.

Work Completed On 02/23/2012

04/01/2012

Darrell D.

Custom Fireside came out to install a fireplace instert in out old brick fireplace. The people at Custom Fireside were really helpful throughout the entire process. They did not try to upsale a more expensive product. They gave us an honest review of all possible insterts. The people at Custom Fireside clearly explained the differences between brands, and suggested a fireplace insert based on our criteria. Once we decided what insert we wanted, they sent someone out to do the measurement of the fireplace. After the measurement was completed. The insert was ordered and about a week later they called to schedule the install. \ On the day of the install, the installers arrive on time. They came to the door and introduced themselves, and came in to see where the would be working. The first they did was lay down the canvas tarps to cover the floor. One of the installers worked in the house preparing the fireplace, and the second installer worked outside prepairing the lining and the top of the fireplace. When it was time for the lining to go in (all the mess from the fireplace prep was cleaned up) they worked together to make sure a great fite (on the top and down inside). Once the lining was in, the installer that worked outside brought the insert into the house. A few minutes later the insert was being slide into place. The installer that was working inside the house completed all the connections to the insert, and made the balancing adjustments. The person that was working outside, prepare the the insert surround and open the firebrick for installation. The installer continued to team together to complete the installation in a very efficient manor. All the time making sure the work area (both inside and out) was kept clean. The installers were very friendly and willing to answer my kids questions about what they were doing at that time. After evering thing was done, the installers left our house as clean (if not cleaner) then before they came. THey were very professional and friendly.

Description of Work
They came in to our house and installed a wood burning fireplace insert in to an existing brick fireplace. The installers first covered the floors with canvas tarps from the front door to the fireplace. They then took out the old damper, so the new lining (pipe for the smoke) could be installed. Once the lining was installed, they put the insert into place and connected it all together. After connecting the insert, they made final adjustments to the legs to insure it was level. Next they installed the steal surround to complete the phyiscal installation. Once the insert was in place, they opened the insert and installed the firebrick. While doing the install the installer cleaned up after themselves. Then cleaned up all of the dust from breaking out of the bricks to get the old damper out. They wiped down everyplace they seen dust and vacuumed the entire room where the insert was installed. After completeing the install, the installer then reviewed the insert (all the functioning parts) with my wife and myself. They explain the break in process for a new insert. How it the first few fires should be small to medium to allow the insert to adjust (metal expand and contraction and the paint to seal to the steal). They showed how the air control worked and how to best start fires in the insert. The gentleman also showed us the best way to clean the class (wet rag dipped in some cool ashes to first scub with, then follow up with regular window cleaner). After showing up the details of the firebox, the installer then explain the options (automatic setting and manual settings) for the inserts blower.

Work Completed On 02/24/2012

01/07/2012

Carl P.

I visited almost a dozen fireplace shops when I wanted to replace my wood burning fireplace with a gas insert. Custom Fireside prices are the only reason I rated poorly. They were WAY more expensive than many others I received quotes from. They also wouldn't do any plumbing unless we paid a fortune or got our own contractor (I needed a gas line run from my laundry room around the exterior of the house and in to where the fireplace went). I ended up using "The Stove Connection" in Loomis (we live in Rocklin). Bobs shop is much smaller than Custom Fireside, but he provided superb service and was about 25% cheaper for the exact same product, and he also ran the gas for us. We purchased a greensmart fireplace xtrordinaire.

Work Completed On 09/15/2011